Different Reactions To Walcott’s Cut From England Squad

Former England and Newcastle winger Chris Waddle is not a fan of Arsenal winger Theo Walcott.

Theo Walcott – cut by Fabio Capello yesterday

He’s been a critic of the 21 year old Arsenal winger before, and said back in March that he didn’t think Theo fully understood the game of  football.

Of course Theo was the only real surprise omission from the final England squad of 23 announced yesterday afternoon by England’s Italian manager Fabio Capello.

Waddle told the Evening Chronicle today – when reminded of those comments:

“I’ll still stand by them.” “He’s had a long time at Arsenal, he’s playing with fantastic players, a lot of young players around his age group. He’s never nailed his shirt at Arsenal.”

“I’ve got nothing against the lad. I just think it’s no surprise for me he’s not on the plane.” “I look and I just think he doesn’t seem to understand the game.”

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp was surprised at  Walcott’s omission, and Harry told BBC Radio Five Live yesterday:

“I thought Aaron was a certainty, I thought Theo was a certainty,” “I thought both of them would go.”

“I’m surprised Theo’s not going.”  “He’s had a bit of an indifferent season with injuries but he’s a good player.”

And World Cup hat-trick hero of the 1966 final for England, Sir Geoff Hurst – wasn’t surprised by Walcott’s omission from the squad:

“It doesn’t surprise me that he wasn’t included,”   “The reason he hasn’t been included is because of his lack of consistency of performance.”

What the news was yesterday was that Theo didn’t follow his manager’s instructions in the last two internationals.   Capello had asked him to stay out wide on the right, and take the ball on the outside of the defenders to give England’s attack some width.

But Theo continually came inside and narrowed England’s attack.  Fabio, like any good manager, wants his players to follow his instructions, and if they don’t then watch out.   There was also news that Theo had not looked particularly impressive during the England training.

The surprise inclusion over Theo was Shawn Wright-Phillips of Manchester City – but give Shawn some credit – when he came on against Japan on Sunday in the second half, he had an urgency about him and ran at the Japan defense.

Obviously that was what Capello had asked of the player – and Shawn did the job for England and they got the win after looking completely hopeless in that first half.

We don’t think Theo will be missed in South Africa, and at least he’s already been in one England World Cup squad, having been the surprise selection of Sven Eriksson’s squad in 2006 in Germany,  when he was just 17.

• Howay The Lads

Jun 2, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Walcott shouldn’t be in.
    SWP shouldn’t be in.
    Johnson should be in.
    Baines should be in.
    Warnock shouldn’t be in.
    Bent shouldn’t be in.
    Huddlestone shouldn’t be in.
    Upson shouldn’t be in.

And Parker should have been given more of a chance. I’m really gutted for him, especially after hearing some of Redknapp’s comments about him giving 110% in training and still never getting a look in.

• G

Jun 2, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Johnson is in, or are you talking about the ex smoggie from villa. Agree with most of what you saying like, appart from Baines and Bent. Bent would be decent impact sub to fetch from the bench. As things stand that player looks to be Heskey, who I don’t think is capable of changing a game for the final ten minutes. Bent may be?

• bobby mic

Jun 2, 2010 at 2:42 PM

I don’t normally do this transfer rumour stuff, but I have a very reliable source here, so here goes:
    Me and my family often holiday in Eastern Europe, and a favourite location is the city of ?winouj?cie (Swinamouth, it’s at the mouth of the river Swina). I’ve been there a good number of times, and a while back I got chatting to a couple of lads when out drinking (my Polish was awful and their English wasn’t much better, but we struck up a friendship over the international language of beer). I stayed in touch, unusually for me, and we communicate quite often.

Just yesterday I got an e-mail from one of them, who said one of his friends’ brother was a footballer for the local city team of Flota ?winouj?cie. Now he’d never been into football, so wouldn’t usually bring that up, but his friend had told him his brother was on the verge of tying up a deal with Newcastle’s academy. He decided they’d make a trip over together to visit me and we’d be able to welcome this kid into Newcastle.

If there’s truth to this I’d expect to see it emerge in the next few days. His name is Josep Kreken, and he’s 17. After that I know absolutely nothing about him, except that he’d been contacted by “big European clubs” but isn’t a big fan of hot weather and when he heard an English club were after him he snapped up the chance

• Howay The Lads

Jun 2, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Yeah Adam Johnson. He gives us something other than just pace on the wing. He actually has skill!!!

• G

Jun 2, 2010 at 2:53 PM

He certainly has looked the part in the Prem. Seems that Capello has gone for the ‘safe’ options all round though.

• Thump

Jun 2, 2010 at 3:11 PM

See Johnson’s goal against Mexico? Stunner and a half!

As for Bent I could take him or leave him tbh. Definitely in form but I question his work rate.

Walcott? Not a chance. Lad can run but when he gets running he’s like a freight train that either gets to where he needs to be or falls over… and unlike our very own runaway freight train he stays down a lot of the time. Doesn’t seem to have much of an end product either. That said, does SWP deserve to take his place? I say yes. Much better end product, more intelligent runs (as opposed to just charging ahead). Walcott will be a great player but I think the lad still has a bit of maturing to do.

• G

Jun 2, 2010 at 3:21 PM

At least SWP can cross. Unlike a certain Gooner.

• cupiddstunt

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:03 PM

I think Capello’s explanation of why he has scratched Walcott can be paralleled to our very own team and manager.

There are people who frequent this blog who bang on and on about why this player is not getting games and this one is blah de blah de blah…

We now have a classic example of a player that has not been picked because of circumstances that we do not always see during game time.

He was not doing what he was told so he was dumped and rightly so, next time you think why is this player not getting a game remember Capello’s answer.

• G

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:08 PM

I see Carroll has pleaded Not Guilty.

• listie

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Howay the Lads, agree about Johnson, should have been included, but so glad Bains was left out, how looked very poor in the last 2 england games I saw him in

• Mr Books

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Not surprised Walcott idn’t make the cut. Very surprisesd that it was SWP and not the player keeping him out of the Man City team that got the nod.

• Toonmania

Jun 2, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Bent was never going, after fabio smelt him fabio said ” can’t you go and take a shower you smell”

bent said:
    no boss we all smell the same from sunderland there’s something in the air

fabio said:
    thats bullsh1t

Bent said:
    maybe boss but i think it has something to do with the inbreds up there, they all smell the same 😀

• MacToon

Jun 2, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Adam Johnson will be a bigger miss imo than Walcott but I hope that gerrard/Lampard can finally play in the same team or scratch 1, I’d go for Gerrard every time but Lampard has his moments too.

Joe Cole is a must for me too and Hart in goal and D James shouldn’t be any where near the team IMHO.

• bobby mic

Jun 2, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Apologies about the random ?s in my earlier post, it should have said Swinoujscie (I had to copy it off Wikipedia because I’ve never been able to spell it). Anyway, he’s coming over next Wednesday, whether that is to discuss terms or to actually sign I don’t know

• Marty-Toon

Jun 2, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Ok,off the subject but we have been talkin about a new striker…….
    What about Ilan from the hammers?
    He is being let go,4 goals in11 games aint too bad adn could be a good addition.
    What ya think?

• Thump

Jun 2, 2010 at 7:58 PM

@Toonmania: You know Bent lives on the Quayside, aye?

• Thump

Jun 2, 2010 at 7:59 PM

@Marty-Toon: 4 goals in 11 games is a decent return, but can he score 4 goals in 11 games consistently?

• valle

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:03 PM

bobby mic… Great insider stuff mate, appreciated

• Toonmania

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Thump,
    no i didn’t, but perhaps the wind is blowing in the wrong direction when he’s on his balcony, i’m swear when i’ve been in that area i can smell the dirty mackems, it’s quite a recognisable smell it’s sort of a mouldy land fill/turd type smell dam discusting actually!!

• Thump

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:15 PM

Christ, you mean they’ve tidied themselves up, toonmania?!

• Toonmania

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:27 PM

@20
    LMAO!!! no we are just getting the waft in the air if you go over the the tyne the smell is still too strong to bare 😉

anyway where is jayjay89 or whatever his name is i could do with a good laugh tonight, i was talking to a teaboy this morning in a cafe in gosforth and he said jayjay’s teaboy in shearers bar is spot on lol!!

• Brutooon

Jun 3, 2010 at 12:46 AM

Walcott is the most OVERRATED player in the world. I still think he is a sprinter more than a player.

Adam Johnson, SWP, Lennon, Milner are all better than him! Even Ryan Taylor can cross better than him.

• Haddock