Spend The Money – But Do Newcastle Have Any To Spend?

Former Newcastle midfield star Rob Lee has come out today and told Newcastle to spend the money – presumably whether they have the money or not.

Rob Lee – while at Newcastle

But that’s so easy to say, and in the past it hasn’t particularly helped Newcastle with some of the ridiculously overpriced and mediocre players we brought  to Tyneside.

This is what Lee told the Evening Chronicle today.

“Newcastle are a huge club and they deserve to be in the Premier League, but they’ve got to spend money,” “Chris and Colin have done a fantastic job, absolutely brilliant. They’ve done everything asked of them.”

“They had good players to work with, the best squad in the Championship, but you still have to manage them, to keep them happy.”  “The players wouldn’t have been used to performing in that division but they got them playing and winning.”

“Now going back up is going to be completely different. The players can play, but you have to make sure they actually do.”

“You need to score goals from all areas. You get a lot of chances in the Championship, but there will be a lot less in the Premier League.”

“When they do come you have to take them. You could be playing well, but if you’re not scoring goals week-in, week-out, you’ll lose games.”

“Scoring is all that matters. They’ve got good players who can score goals, but it’s up to the players to prove they can do it.”   “I still believe they have a decent squad by Premier League standards, good enough to keep them up.”

“But to venture further, which a club like Newcastle should be looking to do, you have to spend money, everybody knows that.”

“If you don’t, it’s tough. You expect teams going up to spend a bit, even if it’s just to freshen things up and keep people on their toes.”   “They’ve had a good season, so they’re on a high right now. But the Premier League is totally different, and very difficult.”

It seems that the only way Newcastle will be able to spend any money this summer, is if it comes out of the pocket of owner Mike Ashley, as perhaps another interest-free loan to the club.

The financial books at the club do not look good at all, and the club is in a lot of debt right now and probably couldn’t get another loan,  if they wanted one.

The club seems as though it is still trying to recover from the tragedy of relegation that so severely hit the revenue stream last summer.

We think it will take at least a year to recover financially and pay off some of the loans,  and the the increased PL revenues will help a lot.

But the question will be can the Newcastle club survive next season in the Premiership before then?

• G

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:26 PM

We have a decent core of players, with a couple of tweaks here and there, the odd bosman and a loan or two I think we will be fine. I will gladly settle for 17th or higher though. Survival has to be our only priority. Stuff the cups.

• toonpigeon

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:33 PM

I agree with your comment G, if we just get some good free agents to add to the core of the squad then I think we will survive. There are teams this season in the PL who we could beat next year. I do think we have some money lying around someone but no one is willing to say we actually have some. If we sell Xisco then we will have some which would enable Hughton to get a player he wanted.

• G

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:35 PM

The problem with selling Xisco is he is on a big wage. He will be happy to sit the season out and pick up the cash. I would recall him and either give him a game in the hope he comes good, or offer to tear up his contract, purely to get him off the books.

• toonpigeon

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Yeah I can see what you mean, if there was an importunity for him to prove himself in Pre-Season then he might get a chance. I understand that we are in for Boyd but there is no use speculating as I don’t think that anything will be announced before the World Cup which will make it sound like a long summer. Any ideas on who else you think we should go for.

• G

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Personnaly, I am from the anti Boyd section of the blog. I know he is free, and has a hatfull of goals in Scotland, but I think he is lazy and overated, plus he doesn’t seem to be able to deliver the goods against quality oposition. I suspect I could score a hatfull against Partick Thistle, but struggle to do it agains Manyoo or Chelski. In terms of who I would go for, well I reckon one of the European giants must have a potential 20-goals a season striker they want loaned out for first team experience. I would rather we went that way than sign Boyd.

• toonpigeon

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:46 PM

I see your point in your comment, I think we need someone who can play with Carroll as I’m not sure if Lovenkrands will be his strike partner for the coming season. I would like to see a young ambitious striker who could come in and be the attacking force that we would need, what about Anichebe or Vaughan both would be looking for first team experience and Hughton might be able to give them that.

• G

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:49 PM

I think Lovenkrands has come on leaps and bounds, and I am prepared to give him a chance, but I also think there is far more to come from Leon Best. A lot of people have written him off already, and perhaps they are correct, but I would at least like to see him given a chance as he is only 23, and did everything ok when he has played. His only crime in my eyes is not scoring a goal, however, he has rattled the woodwork a couple of times, and on any other day…

• toonpigeon

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:54 PM

I agree with you on Best, I don’t like the way that people have written him off. I think if he is given a chance he will produce the goods. He is only young and some players do develop quite late compared to other young players. When I have seen him play he has always put a lot of effort in and showed that he is a good player but perhaps needs someone to help guide him.

• G

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:58 PM

I will be devestated next season if he gets a game and I hear boo’s. To be fair though, I am devastated to see any player receiving boo’s (unless of course they are in red/white stripes!). We really need to instill confidence in our players rather than tearing strips out of them. Look what happened to Bramble? Physically he had the lot, but his confidence died when the fans turned on him.

• toonpigeon

Jun 2, 2010 at 2:07 PM

I completley agree about Bramble, I was shocked when he started playing so well at Wigan. I remember Barton got a booed when he came back after his prison sentence but he has managed to prove them wrong. I hope we add to the core of the squad and they become part of the unity that is now there.

• G

Jun 2, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Bramble did alright for Wigan at first, looks like he has reverted back to form. The fans turned on him there for a couple of howlers, and that was that. Show me a centre half anywhere in the world that hasn’t made at least one howler though? I certainly cant think of one. Even our most consistent defender in recent years (I would have said woodgate, although I am sure others dissagree) made the odd error. Steve Taylor likes to play handball, Colo gets lost in the air sometimes (I think the hair gets in his eyes?). I would love us to get a defensive unit that is 100% consistent, but I don’t think it is possible. We still need Full Backs, Wing cover for both sides, and a striker capable of scoring at least 15 goals, and next season we should be right as rain.

• toonpigeon

Jun 2, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Yeah agree with the players that we need, cover for left back needs to be a priority and so does right back. Hope we get some good players to help us stay up.

• Thump

Jun 2, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Areas we need desperately (even if it is just for cover): LB, RB, LW

Personally I’d like to see young Tamas trained a little more in the LB role seeing as he can play there already in a semi-competent manner and loves the club and the fans but the problem here being it would take another season for him to adapt to the role. It would be unreasonable for us to loan him out and say “only play him in X position” so give him a shot throughout the season, in the cup etc. get a loanee to cover El Toro and we’ll be rocking harder than the bed in the honeymoon sweet of a swanky hotel.

• Thump

Jun 2, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Bugger. Wrote a load up then 🙁

Positions we need (cover for) desperately: LB, RB and LM/W.

I’d like to see young Tamas being given more games at LB but imo it’ll take another season of constant left field to stop him drifting into the CB role. It would be completely unreasonable for us to loan him out to a club and tell them only to play him in one position, or even largely in one position so that’s out of the question. A good loanee to cover El Toro and we’ll be rocking harder than a honeymoon suites bed at a sw*nky hotel!

• fongct

Jun 2, 2010 at 3:20 PM

of course the fans are expecting the money is coming from Ashley’s own pocket…we have lost 3 years in a row, of course our club cant generate enough cash flow to sign players

one year is not enough to repay the debt of course, that is silly to think that way

but I also think Ashley MUST invest 20M in two years to secure our PL status…on financial prospective, gambling our PL status should NEVER be a option, 10M a year signing is nothing, comparing with 50M income by staying in PL…if we go down, we are done, finished….our players will leave, we will continue to make massive losses

if we can secure our PL status in the next two years by improving our current squad, we can afford not to spend, it is because by making the right young signings, those players will improve, plus our own youngsters have more time to get ready for PL football and even getting into starting 11

Ashley must spend, this is a no brainer really…and extremely stupid not to

• noir9

Jun 2, 2010 at 3:51 PM

I’ve got everything crossed that we have some funds available & that we can get a couple of loans or free’s, chris expects to make signings so we will just have to wait and see. I know its frustrating but money was found for signings in january so why can’t it be found now? I’m not expecting much but can’t see ashley risking relegation again, its just too big a risk.

• toonboyjake

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:11 PM

G @ 11
    Bramble strated terribly at wigan in there pre season his first game he scored an own goal and let a striker breeze past him if i remember rightly

• G

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:29 PM

I don’t remember that tbj, but I believe you. Following Wigan’s form isn’t something I do a lot of. I just remember him being on the cusp of an England cap this time last year, whereas now the fans seem to be calling for his head.

• Mr Books

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:59 PM

fongct,
    Like I posted on the other thread, from a fans perspective I totally agree, but define “gambling our premiership future”. The squad we had in 08-09 was on paper too good to be relegated compared to the rest. We could spend £30M on players, bringing our wage bill right back up again this season and still go down, and be in an even worse situation than we were this time last year.

Or we could spend very little. We might go down and some players may leave, but financially we would be ok. Then again we might stay up, and then we would have extra revenue to “gamble” with.

So which are you more prepared to gamble – the future of the club, or our immediate premiership status?
    Think that’s not reality – ask a Pompey fan!

• eltoro

Jun 2, 2010 at 6:03 PM

I’d take a punt on Ilan for a season – proved he could score in a crap team.

• fongct

Jun 2, 2010 at 7:36 PM

‘The squad we had in 08-09 was on paper too good to be relegated compared to the rest.’

1) there is no too good to go down anymore
    2) I only deal with facts…the facts are we had the feel good factor, we had so called far better team on paper compare with WBA and Blackpool, but we drew WBA twice and havnt won them once last season, (pls dont tell me we dont need to win them because of whatever reason), and yes, we lost to blackpool too….we cant afford to draw or lose to them next season if we want to stay in PL, also if we cant win WBA next season, please dont tell me we must be able to win PL teams and stay in PL

‘We could spend £30M on players, bringing our wage bill right back up again this season and still go down, and be in an even worse situation than we were this time last year.’

that is rubbish, because I said 10M this year, 10M next, and for me, that is little….most of the team will spend more than that… also we can spend it on good young players who can improve our squad, who can also develop with us

‘We might go down and some players may leave, but financially we would be ok.’

when we go down, we will be finished, why? why we lost 32M last year?….1) it is because we lost our PL income…so if we go down one more time, we will continue to make huge losses
    2) but if we go down this time, our wages bill will decrease, it is because most of better players will definitely leave, Taylor, Enrique, Jonas etc
    3) with all the better players leave, unlike last season, can we go back up again?…will we be a yo yo club forever?…how much income we will lose?….how much our club will worth?

‘the future of the club, or our immediate premiership status?’

next two seasons are going to extremely important, no matter on future of our club or our immediate PL status…because it is totally related now….

so no matter on football, financial, fans and Ashley’s prospective….we must need to spend

after 2 years, Inman, Vuckic, Kadar etc might be able to become good PL players, might be good enough to be regular starters….then we can sell our big earners, save more on wages, spend less on transfers…but save a few millions now can be a extremely costly mistake, that it cant be happened….this is definitely doing the wrong things at the wrong time

• Captain Beefheart

Jun 2, 2010 at 7:50 PM

This is a season of consolidation, and it will be tough. However, it will be a lot tougher if the usual muppets start shouting for CH’s head before the start of October. The only hope we have is giving CH a fair crack of the whip, and that means until the very last game. Any new manager will simply consign the club to relegation as there’s no incentive not to.

This squad is good for 45-50 points, and that should be enough.

Anyone booing the manager & players should be banned for life, or until they pass an elemental IQ test (same thing, I guess).

• Captain Beefheart

Jun 2, 2010 at 7:54 PM

PS: The more Ashley spends from his pocket, the longer we have to put up with him. This club MUST learn to stand on its own 2 feet for once, no matter how painful the cash-withdrawal symptoms.

• Mr Books

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:53 PM

fongct

You say we have a loss of £32M last year because we lost our prem revenue – yet the year before we made a loss of £39 and the year before that a loss of £20M and the year before that a loss of £34M and the year before that a loss of £12M and the year before that £4M. In fact you have to go back to 2003-04 to see the last time we made a profit – The regal amount of £215,000. Thats five years revenues at the most lucrative times in the most lucrative league in the world and we made a net loss of £110 Million Quid. It is not co-incidence that Ashley has loaned us roughly the same amount – He has picked up the tab for what was spent keeping us in the “lucrative” premiership.

• G

Jun 2, 2010 at 9:15 PM

To the Capn, and Mr Books…. stop talking sense please, some of us are trying to have a good whinge here you know! Seriously though, I hate to admit it, but both of you seem to be on the right track here. It’s gonna be tough, but it will (despite the draws / losses) be tougher on WBA and Blackpool.

• fongct

Jun 3, 2010 at 6:55 AM

‘I know you said 10M – I was saying that would not guarantee premiership status – neither would 30M, as you said, there is no too good to go down, which is exactly my point.’

First, I talk about football …there is no guarantee, (but I can guarantee that spending 30M can keep us in PL) of course….but it is about probabilities, getting better players, strengthening our weakness have higher probability of staying in PL.. so u are saying that even tho our squad are short, some areas are needed to be strengthen, a high probability of facing relegation dog fight…we choose not to face the problem, not to fix, choose to delay the problems?…of course there are other problems

but if u think we are good enough to stay in PL with our current squad now, improve our weakness can further increase our chances of staying in PL in the next few years, not only now but in the next few years too, because those problems will never go away, we are just trying not to fix the problem now

I m not an expert on accounting, but I did try read the a few financial reports….for example, the season before, we had a one off expense of around 5M on firing Big Sam and co…which wouldnt happen again in short term….so I assume we lost 34M that year…our biggest expense ,our stuffs cost was around 73M that year, ( we dont have last season’s number yet), but it has been reduced to around 40-45M level (according to the rumours), so I assume we can save around 30M, therefore, we are very close to break-even level…so, we are on the right track, as long as we can keep our 100M turnover…

but if we go down, may be our wages expense will decrease more than 50% due to all the better players will leave, and bring in millions from transfer fees, our turnover will also decrease massively….our income, like matchday, commercial and media income will only decrease, how big? (again, dont have the lastest figure), but I assume more than 50%….but then we wont have a football side that is competitive anymore…. then the longer we stay in championship, our matchday income is simply going down rather than up…so we cant only discuss our financial prospective, we have to find a balance

that is why I said Ashley has to spend 10M this season, yes, then that amount will be our net loss this year….but 1) again, this 10M is well worth a gamble due to the reasons I said above, there is no quick fix, and we need to find a right balance 2) also, that is a 5 years plan, with youngsters are getting ready for PL, we will have a lower wages expense..plus saving millions on not spending on transfers for a couple of years at least, then that 20M+ can be saved and we wouldnt make a loss, we might be able to earn a bigger profit, plus keep on staying in PL

• fongct

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:09 AM

PS, 10M is an assumption, assume that we need to spend that amount on a striker, a winger who can play both sides and a right back, plus a couple of loan deals

we might not even need to spend that much, if we can get Boyd for free (I assume)…10M is the maximum

it just brings out a point that we must need to strengthen, with enough funds to support Hughton