Barton Has 47 Just Appearances For Newcastle – Time To Repay Club

Joey Barton has made just 47 appearances with 3 goals for Newcastle United in his three full seasons on Tyneside.

Joey Barton – just 47 appearances in three full seasons

So Joey hasn’t produced too much yet for the Newcastle club, but of course that’s due to the three serious foot injuries he’s had while he’s been on Tyneside.

Joey told the Evening Chronicle today:

“It will be great to get back and play on that big stage, but I won’t forget who got me there.” “It can be a lonely experience when you are injured.”

“But it’s been a long, hard road and I was working away in the gym during that long stint out.”

“Now it would be great to repay people like the doc,  Paul Catterson, Hendo and all of the medical staff because they really did take time and care to get me right and get me back out there.”

“It was great to experience the feeling of just being back in the dressing room and being part of a winning team – that’s what it’s all about.”

When Joey did return from injury earlier this year,  we noticed a couple of things – and both were good.

First of all whenever he started a game, he was usually our Man of the Match, and we also noticed how upbeat Joey was – especially about the Newcastle club and their famous fans.

Of course it was a very joyous time for all connected with the Newcastle club as the Newcastle players,  under the guidance of Chris Hughton, just ran away with the Coca Cola Championship and ended up winning the league by 11 points.

And there’s little doubt that if Joey can only stay fit next season, he can become a very important player for the Newcastle side, who are back in the Premier League.

There will be significant competition for places in central midfield next season, with the likes of  Kevin Nolan, Alan Smith and Danny Guthrie (and Arsenal’s Jack Wilshere?),  all competing head to head with Joey.

But Barton seems to rise to the challenge as he continued:

“I’m just getting there now and it’s a case of pushing on again.” “It’s the same for anybody – the more I play, the sharper I can get and show what I’m about.”

“The reason I came to this club was to compete and that hasn’t always been the way.”

“That’s life – things happen like that and you can only focus on what is in front of you.” “The picture is looking quite good at Newcastle now.”

What we’d like to see next season is for Joey to avoid any long term injuries, and if he can do that there’s every chance Joey can produce the goods for Newcastle, and help keep the club in the Premiership.

That has to be job one next season,  and it would be a good start for Joey to start paying back Newcastle United, for the huge support he’s received in his time on Tyneside.

• GeordieTartanArmy

Jun 4, 2010 at 1:55 PM

1st

Why do you call the toon ‘the Newcastle club’? Fair enough ‘the Tyneside club’ but if they are called Newcastle it is fairly obvious they are from Newcastle. Sorry about that, its probably just me but it just gets on my nerves

• Ericles

Jun 4, 2010 at 2:31 PM

I hope Barton gives his all this coming season. He was and is a Premiership player who has some quality. Time to show Joe – this season we really are going to need you.

• lewman

Jun 4, 2010 at 3:57 PM

i am not sure but i think he was man citys top scorer two years running. be nice if we could get something close to that type of form from him and i think we just might as long as he stays fit

• StuW

Jun 4, 2010 at 4:17 PM

We need Barton to stay injury free next season. In the Prem, you need a hardman type midfielder that won’t shy from a tackle, and Joey Barton is proven at Premiership level, as is his three partners in the centre. CM is our strongest point, and has been for a while. Still lack that creative spark in there though, which is something we could struggle without.

• wickywoowoo

Jun 4, 2010 at 8:14 PM

GeordieTartanArmy in message 1,

You are not alone. I have also asked this and never got a reply. It might just be a regional speech thing. Since we’re both Scottish, we’re not as versed in Toon Talk.

• Geordie_Pants

Jun 4, 2010 at 8:15 PM

barton’s fitness is crucial for our survival chances.

• flair20

Jun 4, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Barton has kept his nose clean for a while now and it seems he has sorted his attitude out – I really hope he has a great season for us. One thing that’s beyond question is his performances since getting fit – he was quite superb. He is a proven Premiership player and is also a dynamic midfielder – he can put himself about but he’s also a creative player going forward. I’m personally hoping we play a 4-5-1 next season with Nolan behind Carroll and Barton partnering either Guthrie or Smith. Bearing in mind we’ll be up against it more often than not, I think that could well be our best bet tactics-wise.

• danmole92

Jun 4, 2010 at 11:58 PM

Honestly yous lot talking about longs we stay up. We have got players who when they play together like we have done all seaosn we can finish mid table confortable. And some people saying bartons no good, first things first hes the only player who tells the fans the truth and he loves this club and city and the fans. Joey barton if he has a good fit season could be on fringes of england. if carrick n huddlestone can get it why not wor joey? call yoursell newcastle fans hughton made everyone think negative. PREDICTION with Harper in goal: 14-16th PREDICTION with Krul or new keeper e.g joe hart on loan: 7-11th

• G

Jun 5, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Historicaly speaking, teams that are promoted to the prem that end up playing 4-5-1 formations are usualy the teams that go down at the end of the season, I think what you say makes sense flair20. Given the current squad, it would be the most sensible tactic.

• Brutooon

Jun 5, 2010 at 12:38 AM

he is a good player but he will get injured again. High Wages and no other club would want to take him….

• G

Jun 5, 2010 at 12:54 AM

I actually think there will be a fair bit of interest in Barton this season Brutoon. The world has known for a long time that he is a good player. Recently he has been making the right noises about going teetotal etc. I suspect quite a few scouts will be taking a look at him in the opening few weeks. I agree he is a high earner, but he is the only natural box to box midfielder we have so his services are indispensible. I also hope his injury problems are behind him.