Hughton Back To Work – Wants Young Players At Newcastle


Chris Hughton has returned from his vacation today,  but says that things didn’t stop while he was away, and he kept taking phone calls involved with his efforts to strengthen the Newcastle squad this summer.

Chris Hughton – back at his desk in Newcastle

It’s almost certain now  that Chris will have to strengthen the Newcastle squad  with little money available, but it’s still possible to bring in say four good players this summer with free agents and some wily loan signings.

Newcastle have been linked with older players Sol Campbell, Andy O’Brien and Jimmy Bullard over the weekend, but Chris says he is not interested in any of these players.

Chris told the Evening Chronicle today:

“It’s a case of back to work for me today.”   “It’s business as usual, but I can’t say that while I’ve been away that anything has really stopped.”“You always continue to take calls and our business has been on-going.”

“There’s been talk about Sol Campbell and Andy O’Brien in the past and there are always names that keep coming up – but we have not looked into signing those players.”

“And Jimmy Bullard is another player that has not been mentioned.”  “There are some players we are interested in and we’re open-minded about those options.”

So Chris doesn’t say too much –  other than he doesn’t seem to be interested in older players who may be on high wages.

We have to beleive that the players coming into Newcastle this summer will be younger players, and we just have to hope they will have the skill and experience we need to strengthen an already solid squad of players on Tyneside.

Howay The Lads!!



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

12 comments so far

  • The-Ciaran8

    Jun 7, 2010 at 12:51 PM

    Comment #1

    i think thats good news.

    0
  • RichK

    Jun 7, 2010 at 1:08 PM

    Comment #2

    He doesn’t exactly rule out Bullard., whereas he does rule out O’Brien and Campbell. I would love Bullard to come in, but he would have to be on a pay as you play deal.

    0
  • Alan

    Jun 7, 2010 at 1:09 PM

    Comment #3

    so there you go, hes ruled out bullard and campbell but i bet you will still regurgitate the suns stories about us signing them on a sunday, blog is boring now

    0
  • JSYproject

    Jun 7, 2010 at 2:07 PM

    Comment #4

    tell me if im wrong but is he yet to deny the boyd and onouha rumours? Yet he seems quick to distance the club from anyone were not lookin at…

    0
  • G

    Jun 7, 2010 at 2:47 PM

    Comment #5

    He has (thankfully) denied the boyd rumour JSY.

    0
  • coxonfamily

    Jun 7, 2010 at 3:30 PM

    Comment #6

    Ed forgot to finish the quote off… I’ll do it Ed:

    “And Jimmy Bullard is another player that has not been mentioned.” “There are some players we are interested in such as Wheater, Boyd and the likes… and we (me and my sandwich maker) are open-minded about those options. I’ll be sure to keep you informed by telling Jay Jay the latest, Oh and im sorry for being late back from holiday, it really scuppered the Onuhoa deal!”

    0
  • Sav

    Jun 7, 2010 at 5:27 PM

    Comment #7

    I think we need Geordie Caulkin to go through those words of Hughton and do another ‘alternate version’ as he did with the latest club statement.

    I’d guess it would be pretty hilarious.

    0
  • Sav

    Jun 7, 2010 at 5:43 PM

    Comment #8

    SJP must be taking on the atmosphere of the Overlook Hotel in The Shining by now, with lots of echoes and bits of paper blowing about. And with that fixed smile, it looks as if Hughton is beginning to take on the Jack Nicholson part going a little crazy after being left alone in charge amid all that silence – ‘I’m sorry to differ with you, sir, but you are the caretaker. You’ve always been the caretaker….stop swingin’ the bat, Colin. Put the bat down…..heeeere’s Chrissie!’

    0
  • Sav

    Jun 7, 2010 at 5:48 PM

    Comment #9

    Yep, he’s definitely losing it, especially when he talks about promoting a new coach ‘from within’! Cripes there’s nobody left, man!

    If Calderwood starts scrawling RENLIM, RENLIM in lipstick on the changing room mirrors it will definitely tip poor aul’ Chris over the edge.

    0
  • liamdee100

    Jun 7, 2010 at 6:51 PM

    Comment #10

    Glad to hear Chris is back, hopefully this means we can bring a few players in now. By the way does anybody know when the new Newcastle kit comes out?

    0
  • jimiley

    Jun 7, 2010 at 8:59 PM

    Comment #11

    Chris no doubt wants youngsters because we cannot afford anybody who costs more than two bob. He would really like to buy some quality for 10 million but has to keep his mouth shut because he is the epitome of a “yes” man. Having said that, when have NUFc ever played youngsters or developed them? the last truly great Geordie star was Gascoigne and we sold him asap. we do not develop youngsters at this club and if we did (because we are now a selling club) we would sell them!! So where is youth policy leading us? Answer: We have never had one that works, we use it now as an excuse because we have no cash, CH does not play youngsters, and if we had a really good youngster the fat man would sell him. The answer is that the youth policy is another fat man con for spending no money and leading the fans a merry dance about promises to the future. GO NOW FAT MAN.

    0
  • SWHITEY

    Jun 8, 2010 at 12:40 PM

    Comment #12

    totally agree with CH here, if this is in fact his true opinion and not a smoke screen. there are alot of available players on the market, some out of contract, and whilst imo the real top talent wouldnt consider NUFC for various reasons, if we are cute and ahead of the game, we can certainly pick up some great youngins, that could add to the squad

    0

You must log in to post a comment.