Ryan Taylor Ready To Nail Down Right-Back Spot

Ryan Taylor, Newcastle’s 25 year-old Newcastle utility player,  seems determined to nail down the right-back spot at Newcastle next season.

Ryan Taylor – hopes to make right back spot his own

He’ll have an opportunity too,  with Danny Simpson lielky to miss the first four games of next season at least, so it could be that Ryan will start the season at right back for Newcastle.

But we’re also interested to see who gets the two center-back positions and it could be that Chris Hughton could play Steven Taylor at right back, if Williamson continues to look as good as he has since he joined Newcastle in January.

Taylor told the Evening Chronicle today:

“I’ve always said my position is at right-back.” “I’ve played there a lot of the time throughout my career and for the England Under-21s.”

“That’s where I see myself, but if one day the gaffer turned round and asked me to do a job in a different position, I’d be happy to do that.”

“But I’m 25 now and I need to settle down into one position.”

It’;s certainly a disadvantage when you are tagged as a utility player, becasue it’s hard to start a game, but there again you usually get plenty of games, as happened last season for Ryan, who made a total of 36 appearances for Newcastle, with 24 starts and 4 goals.

Taylor wants to be a starter at Newcastle, insists he will fight hard to hold down the starting right-back position at Newcastle next season.

Ryan continued:

“The competition for places will be even tougher next season.” “I have to lay down a marker and I want to be first choice when it comes to playing.”

It could be that Chris Hughton will want to strengthen the right-back spot, and it wouldn’t surprise us at all if Chris brings in a new right-back during the summer.

And it appears that Taylor is looking forward to playing in the Premiership again, and  feels the Newcastle players will be all set when pre-season starts – presumably on Monday , July 5th.

Taylor continued:

“It will be nice to be a Premier League player again.” “If you spoke to any of the lads they’ll tell you that’s where they want to be.”

“It’s where you want to challenge yourself.” “I’ll be back when pre-season starts and I’ll be working even harder.”

It will be very difficult for Ryan to nail down a starting spot in the Newcastle team next season, but the 25 year-old certainly has the right attitude, and good for him.

• G

Jun 11, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Good words from RTaylor, however, I don’t feel he’s particularly strong in any one position, although his crossing ability in the first half of the season was absolutely top drawer.

• geordielad880

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:24 PM

his crossing ability is top notch, but is weak defensively, he commits way to many fouls, usually for pulling people to the ground, and is very poor in the tackle, would be ok as a wingback, but i still see him as a right winger, good squad player to have

• peterktoon

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Danny Simpson is a good defender but I still think he will have a hard time in the Premier League and Ryan Taylor will be more comfortable in the defence.
    Danny Simpson should keep working hard. He is a young player and his time will come

• henok ethiopian toon

Jun 11, 2010 at 5:36 PM

he is 100 + 10 % better than simpson

• singamagpie

Jun 11, 2010 at 6:47 PM

He’s a very poor right or left back. Sure Simpson’s rubbish going forward but he’s way a better defender than Taylor. A defender’s first priority is to defend and Taylor can’t do that. He’s slow, weak, can’t jump, no awareness, can’t tackle. Who cares if he can cross good ball in if he’s getting raped by premier league wingers defensively?

• chuck

Jun 11, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Excuse me , he wants to play RB, yeah right back on the f*****g bench at some other clubs preferably, guys hopeless.

• jimiley

Jun 11, 2010 at 7:38 PM

We have a wealth of talent at right back. Both Simpson and Taylor are top drawer and both could be challenging for England honours in the next couple of years. If only the centre of midfield were as strong.

• BigDave

Jun 12, 2010 at 12:57 AM

Right now, I see him as a great squad player. He’s Newcastle’s Ji Sung Park.. But if he feels he can compete with Simpson, that’s brilliant, as I do think Danny is a bit light weight for the top flight..

• Sav

Jun 12, 2010 at 3:20 AM

Don’t want to be harsh or negative but the truth is neither are really Prem standard fullbacks.
    If Hughton isn’t planning for that we are in trouble.
    For my money, Steven Taylor is probably a better bet at RB at least until DS is fit.

• Charlietoon

Jun 12, 2010 at 8:24 AM

As much as he feels that is his best position, he is a better right wing than right back. He can cross the ball reasonably well, is good with free kicks and is pretty accurate in front of goal when given the chance. He is not the best at beating his man or stopping his man and I don’t remember him having any really great games in defence for us in the past.

He wont be happy if we give him 4 games then shut him out when Simmo’s back so I’d be happy to sell him for 2 or 3 mill and put the cash into paying decent wages to a new young right back who can push Simmo (as Rtayls does not) and a winger to chalenge wayne and back up Jonas.