Hughton On Vacation – Still Working On Transfer Deals


Chris Hughton is on vacation again this week, but with email and cell phones available these days, things continue to move forward with the Newcastle transfer targets.

Chris Hughton – still working on transfer business on vacation

Newcastle are reported to be in the market for a striker, a right-back, a center-back and a central midfielder, although we’re not sure why we need a center-back – and surely we need another winger.

Funds at Newcastle are limited, but it appears that permanent signings could still be made if  Hughton can come up with a good player who is available in the transfer market.

Bit no big transfers will be paid out – and Newcastle again are on the look-out for some real bargains.

Chris Hughton said this morning:

“The phone doesn’t stop ringing just because I’m away on holiday and it is a constantly changing situation. I’ve got to keep up-to-date with what is going on and even though I’m not in the country, I’ll be working on things.”

“One thing I’m positive about is, come the start of the season, we’ll have the amount of players we need to be able to compete.”

“What I’m very conscious of is that we need to add to the squad. It’s something we’ll definitely do.”

“What’s more important is to make sure we bring the right players in.”  “If I look at some of the big-name signings this club has made in the past for big money, there’s a realisation that we’re not in those times now.”

It will be very nice once we get the first break-through in the tansfer market – whether it’s a permanent transfer for a fee, a free transfer or a loan signing.

The sooner that happens the more relaxed we will become.

Comments welcome.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

7 comments so far

  • spiderpig

    Jun 15, 2010 at 11:43 AM

    Comment #1

    i would take a few shrewd loan signings over very expensive flops for big money any day.imagine if we had took boumsong and luque on loan first we would have passed on them both and had about 18 million quid to spend on someone with proven class.

    0
  • geordielad880

    Jun 15, 2010 at 11:43 AM

    Comment #2

    Well I can pass on some information, newcastle have lodged a 1.75m bid for celtic player georgios samaras, im not so keen on signing the player myself.

    0
  • noir9

    Jun 15, 2010 at 11:54 AM

    Comment #3

    Samaras!!! more tripe from the papers & this time its the daily record which is just the scottish daily mirror.

    Why on earth would we be interested in another big lump of a striker when we have 3 of them already? This one can’t even get in a very poor celtic team.

    0
  • RichK

    Jun 15, 2010 at 12:01 PM

    Comment #4

    Ed, you’ve said you’re not sure why we need another centre back? We do, ideally we need 2 players in each position, so 2 x R CB and 2 x L CB if you like to provide adequate cover. We won’t pay that sort of money for a washed up striker like Samaras. Riqueleme is available on a free, yes he’s in his 30’s and he may want £50k a week but he would provide the kind of flair and creativity that we lack. Whether he would be interested is another matter, I for one think he would.

    0
  • geordielad880

    Jun 15, 2010 at 12:12 PM

    Comment #5

    my ex gf’s dad who used to scout for youth players for newcastle, mentioned that they had enquired about him in the last few days, i really really hope we havent gone for him, terrible attitude, work rate, and no better in a ability than what we already have at the club, RichK mentioned riquelme, would love him at newcastle, would give us the creativity we need!! but age and wages would me a massive issue, and i think he would sign with jonas and collocini already been at the club

    0
  • lewman

    Jun 15, 2010 at 1:04 PM

    Comment #6

    we dont need him so why would we be after him, hughton has said before he wants a proven premier league striker and he didnt really prove himself in the pl. i am beginning to wonder if we have more money to spend than we think as we have not gone for various average free players and yet hughton says that we will be bringing players in. riquelme would be nice but we would need to build our team around him for him to shine and i am not sure that will happen because of his age. i think we might all get a little surprise when we spend 15 to 20 million on around 4 players with most of it going on 2 of them.

    if we can do that and then have a budget of around 10 mil a season for the following 4 seasons then surely we can break even especially if we can get profits on scouted youngsters.

    Although ashley is a tw&t, i am sure he has learnt some lessons and he cant exactly be thick considering that he became a millionare from selling umbro trainers so maybe he thinks that he can save a few million by giving the impression that we have no money to spend even though he has never actually said that we have no money available.

    0
  • Sav

    Jun 16, 2010 at 3:52 AM

    Comment #7

    I’m betting Hughton’s hair is completely white by the end of this season.

    0

You must log in to post a comment.