Hughton Very Very Confident Of Signing Good Players


Chris Hughton is back from his mini-vacation of last week, reported to be in the Caribbean,  and has talked to Radio Newcastle today.

Chris Hughton – still very very confident of signing good players

Chris believes he has the basis already of a strong squad,  and four good players in the right positions and of the right caliber are what he thinks he needs, to be able to have the famous Newcastle club fully compete next season, in England’s top football league.

Hughton told Radio Newcastle today:

“The most important thing is that we bring in the players that we want,”

“It is not about how quickly we bring them in, it is about bringing in the quality that we need to, and by the time we go into this campaign I think we will be where we want to be.”

“I have said before that I felt that we need to keep the nucleus of what we have but we need to add to it,”  “We need to make sure that we are starting the season in the best shape we can to go into a very difficult league.”

“Yes we need to add to the squad and I am very, very confident that by the time the season starts we will have the numbers that we need to bring in.”

“I expect more business after the World Cup,” “At the moment everyone is evaluating what they have and what they are prepared to let go and what sort of fees they want for their players.”

“That is normal. There certainly will be some business done but I didn’t expect too much to be done post-season.” “But we will get to the stage over the next few weeks where I think you will start to see a bit more business.”

We really do believe that Chris is after some very decent players, with players mentioned including Weiss, Cleverley, Welbeck and O’Hara.

Any of those players will improve our squad, and we have to remember it’s a World Cup year, and that nothing much will happen until mid-July, after the fantastic football festival is over.

But we will keep the faith and have every confidence in the Newcastle manager getting the job done this summer.

Comments welcome.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

22 comments so far

  • Sav

    Jun 21, 2010 at 2:19 PM

    Comment #1

    I want to believe in you, Chris, I really do. But if that lot at SJP reduce my expectations any more I’m going to find myself thinking relegation in third place will be a measure of success of sorts.

    Howay Chris, and at least get your ruddy coaches and scouts sorted out, man.
    They aren’t at the WC2010. so why not be getting the backroom boys installed and the planning done?

    If we saw that, at least it would give fans some belief that this is going to be a serious tilt at mid-table security and not that we are just cannon fodder for another season. Not just ‘all talk’ from the silent duo who refuse to communicate to fans or media.

    If there’s a policy in place that involves bringing through our home-grown talent, why is Joe Joyce the only academy full-time coach we’ve got? Are we gannin’ doon the JobCentre in August to get the men who will be shaping the future of the club?

    As for our scouts, the maligned team we had to find young talent (with some success it has to be said), they are all long gone. Grahame Carr has shown us nowt yet. Is he on his own? And how is he going to ‘sell’ Newcastle to prospects and their parents/agents when he finds them? “Well we’ve only the one coach at the minute but he’s a good’un, honest.”

    Do me a favour.

    0
  • G

    Jun 21, 2010 at 2:33 PM

    Comment #2

    SavI was speaking to a bit of an oddball charecter out on Friday who reckons he knows the famous ‘insider’ (I know I will get a verbal kicking over this!) at St James’. Whilst his credentials seemed dubious, he seemed to think most of the scouting for the Toon is being done on a ‘non-contract’ basis, which, given the fact it is world cup time, doesn’t seem to unfeasable. I agree that we need to get the coaching positions sorted though, hopefully now CH is back behind his desk we will see some movement on this soon.

    0
  • roy cropper

    Jun 21, 2010 at 3:04 PM

    Comment #3

    until the proper football business has been completed by the other clubs then CH can’t begin with his – and that consists of sorting through the unwanted leftovers who are prepared to play for washers.

    0
  • batty

    Jun 21, 2010 at 4:07 PM

    Comment #4

    lolololololol

    0
  • snoutshuffler

    Jun 21, 2010 at 4:49 PM

    Comment #5

    Really, it’s not new news is it? It’s just a case of the same rhetoric.

    This transfer window is starting to tread the same path as the rest of them under this fat sack of sh!t!

    0
  • GeordieTartanArmy

    Jun 21, 2010 at 5:12 PM

    Comment #6

    not tom cleverly – he is terrible compared to what we need
    I would give every toon fan 3 million pounds if tom cleverly does well in the PL

    0
  • Tanzy

    Jun 21, 2010 at 5:16 PM

    Comment #7

    my opinion on what the team should be

    Ins
    G.Dos Santos – Loan -view too permanent
    K.Prince Boateng – £3.5m
    Tulio – £500k
    T.Cleverley – £500k tribural fee
    S.Mbia – £5m
    A.Gyan – £3m
    P.Whittingham – £1.5m + Leon Best
    J.Perch – £1.2m
    TOTAL = £15.2M

    OUT
    N.Butt Released
    F.Pancrate Released
    K. Lua Lua £250k
    B.Tozer £250k
    L.Best Part of deal with whittingham
    Xisco £1.5m
    Ameobi £2.5m
    TOTAL = £4.5M

    Harper

    Mbia S.Taylor Coloccini Enrique

    Barton

    Boateng Gutierez

    G.Dos Santos

    Carroll Gyan

    Subs can be any of the remaining players
    krul
    smith
    r.taylor
    whittingham
    nolan
    routledge
    lovenkrands
    williamson
    tulio
    vuckic
    simpson
    guthrie
    perch
    cleverley

    Obviously we will end up getting injuries , suspensions wtc throughout the season and will need to have players to come in and replace them.

    Also i beleieve it is healthy too have good competition in every place and this is certainly what he have got in this squad.

    This squad brings experience , quality , pace , flair etc

    yes we had a wage structure of 30k per week so the only problem i can see is the wages mbia would be after. But if we cant agree a deal and the player is only there for the money then we should move onto a differant target.

    I would give new contracts to Steven Taylor , Andy Carroll , Jose Enrique , Peter Lovenkrands and Steve Harper.

    Also I would appoint Steven Taylor as captain and Kevin Nolan as assistant captain.

    And hand the famous number 9 shirt to Andy Carroll

    NUFC SQUAD

    1.Steve Harper
    2.Stephane Mbia
    3.Jose Enrique
    4.Kevin Nolan(Vice Captain)
    5.Fabricio Coloccini
    6.Steven Taylor (Captain)
    7.Kevin Prince Boateng
    8.Danny Guthrie
    9.Andy Carroll
    10.Giovani Dos Santos
    11.Peter Lovenkrands
    12.Danny Simpson
    13.
    14.Asamoah Gyan
    15.Joey Barton
    16.Peter Whittingham
    17.Alan Smith
    18.Jonas Gutierez
    19.Tulio
    20.Tom Cleverley
    21.Wayne Routledge
    22.James Perch
    23.Ryan Taylor
    24.Haris Vuckic
    25.Tim Krul
    26.Mike Williamson

    0
  • Howay The Lads

    Jun 21, 2010 at 6:10 PM

    Comment #8

    Why are people so downbeat?

    I think Ashley’s a goon, but there’s only ever been one transfer window where he hasn’t spent more than a few million. Yes, the chances are he will spend very little or none at all, but let’s nobody judge until September 2nd, eh?

    0
  • Howay The Lads

    Jun 21, 2010 at 6:24 PM

    Comment #9

    Little too much FM, Tanzy?

    As well Tulio would cost £5 million(ish)
    S.Mbia – £10m(ish)
    A.Gyan – £6m(ish)

    0
  • boater

    Jun 21, 2010 at 6:51 PM

    Comment #10

    M’bia was a 6 mil player before the world cup – so he must be up to 8-10 now. Tulio is 29 so maybe not what the club are after, shame as he can play centre half, midfield or as a striker. Birsa another.

    Just reading that Kaita has received over 1000 death threats from supporters in nigeria after his sending off against greece.. pretty bleak stuff.

    0
  • Rotonda heights

    Jun 21, 2010 at 7:00 PM

    Comment #11

    Hughton thinks Best is a very very good player !!

    0
  • BeeGuy

    Jun 21, 2010 at 7:14 PM

    Comment #12

    Whoa, hardly any mention of the academy grads on anyone’s roster on this post. I don’t think the owner is running a private school for football talent & not expecting some of them to graduate to the top tier. I think you all need to include some of those lads on your game day player lists, especially since they are being ballyhoo’d by CH et. al .

    0
  • pizzicatochan

    Jun 21, 2010 at 7:52 PM

    Comment #13

    I understand that we all want new players coming in. I view that as a reasonable request, but at the same time, I would say that we should give the young players some good time to play for the team. One good example is Phil Airey. I believe his scoring ratio is better than Andy Carroll when he’s still a young lad. I am really looking forward to seeing him play.

    0
  • flair20

    Jun 21, 2010 at 9:34 PM

    Comment #14

    We have no money but Hughton and the club as a whole are doing their best. We are all frustrated at the club’s lack of money, which was caused by previous management of the club, but there’s no point whatsoever in venting those frustrations at the current management of the club. Be patient and positive – Hughton got us into the Premiership by doing things his way and I’m confident he will keep us there by doing likewise. Keep the faith.

    0
  • Hirdy_81

    Jun 21, 2010 at 11:28 PM

    Comment #15

    Are we talking about Marcus Tulio Tanaka from Japan? If yes, he would be an awesome acquisition. I know he is 29 but far out he has a commanding presence among his back 4.

    0
  • nightfa11

    Jun 22, 2010 at 2:13 AM

    Comment #16

    brecko/onuoha
    birsa
    dos santos

    harper
    brecko/onuoha taylor colo enrique
    birsa/routlidge guthrie barton jonas/routlidge
    carroll dos santos

    0
  • snoutshuffler

    Jun 22, 2010 at 9:14 AM

    Comment #17

    I think you nutjobs on here seriously need to get your heed out of Ashleys ar5se and realise we wont be spending more that £2 million on a player, and that’s if we are lucky!

    The bulk of them will be loans or freebies. Wake up you deluded idiots. All this talk of £10 million+ player, it just aint going to happen FFS.

    0
  • Ericles

    Jun 22, 2010 at 10:06 AM

    Comment #18

    A neat summary snoutshuffler. Needed saying mate!

    0
  • lesh

    Jun 22, 2010 at 10:43 AM

    Comment #19

    Yup!

    J Lloyd Samuel’s reportedly on our radar now!

    He surley fits the bill – 27yrs old, £1.5m and boy, what a prospect judging by these resport extracts:

    Football365 | Premier League | Bolton Wanderers News | COYLE … http://www.football365.com

    Vidic flattened Elmander during the second half of Manchester United’s 4-0 win at the … However, United were indebted to Jlloyd Samuel, who inexplicably drove Ryan Giggs’ low …

    Football365 | Premier League | Bolton Wanderers News | Bolton … http://www.football365.com

    In their absence, Jlloyd Samuel came to United’s aid, breaking the deadlock in bizarre fashion seven minutes before the break with their 11th own goal of the season. …

    Football365 | Premier League | Bolton Wanderers News | Blues … http://www.football365.com

    Beaten in their last two away games, there was no chance of the west Londoners suffering a third against the hosts, who had Jlloyd Samuel sent off. …

    Football365 | Premier League | Bolton Wanderers News
    http://www.football365.com

    Within five minutes of the restart Murphy’s ball inside Jlloyd Samuel put Bobby Zamora clear on the right and his cross seemed destined for the …

    Mmmmm.

    0
  • lesh

    Jun 22, 2010 at 10:46 AM

    Comment #20

    “Your comment (possible 19) is awaiting moderation”.

    Por quoi?

    0
  • Sav

    Jun 22, 2010 at 11:13 AM

    Comment #21

    A week ago I posted in jest that it could be a useful Ashole cost cutting exercise to loan out all our academy and reserve players so as to saave on coaches.
    Now according to today’s Journal, that may not be so far from the reality.
    If the club policy is to nurture our own talent, why has a situation whereby ewe have only one senior youth coach, Joe Joyce. We were light before Thomo left and it seems no attention is being given to this. Alright if players are tied up until after WC 2010, but youth coaches?
    That is what makes me sceptical about players coming in. These blokes wouldn’t know the truth if it bit them in the arse.
    Surely the essence of a youth set-up is the calibre of coach and the ethos of looking after youngsters, not manicured lawns and steam baths.
    We used to have people of the calibre of Alan Irvine and Glen Roeder in charge of the academy. Where is that level of commitment now? Why hasn’t at least that been addressed so far this summer? The flurry of youngsters Wise & Co. brought in – where is the commitment to developing them, and bringing in more?

    It looks as if we have one scout, and one youth coach, and they ask for patience and trust?
    I expect the catering sales to be great value at SJP next year, with Pork Pies ten a penny.

    0
  • Ericles

    Jun 22, 2010 at 11:34 AM

    Comment #22

    Very near the point Sav. The more I read and listen to CH the more I just feel he is no more than a front man for Ashley. If we farm out our youngsters we will still carry on grooming players from other clubs on loan where is the future in that?. The wrecking of NUFC proceeds apace it seems. Don’t like pork pies, especially the ones coming out of Ashley’s barrow!

    0

You must log in to post a comment.