Complete Over-Reaction To John Terry’s Comments

We watched the John Terry press conference on Sunday, and thought he was very committed to having England win the game against Slovenia and fix the pathetic performances of the England side so far in this World Cup.

John Terry – at the press conference on Sunday

And if  John said one or two things he probably shouldn’t have – so what – at least he was coming from the right place.

But there is a terrific over-reaction to John Terry’s comments going on right now in the English press, and John is now suffering from being the born leader he is.

We wouldn’t be at all surprised if Terry become a top manager, once he hangs up his boots, and we suppose he will want to become the Chelsea manager, since he’s Chelsea through and through and  the only club he’s ever played for.

The 29 year-old Chelsea captain has already played a massive 452 times for the London club with 38 goals and has 62 caps for England.

But last night Terry apologized and said:

“I went into Sunday’s press conference with the intention of being honest.”

“I was asked a question about Joe Cole and maybe I went too far.” “But it was never my intention to upset the manager or the players and if I did upset anyone, I apologize.”

“I’ve told the manager he has my total support and I’d like to stress I don’t believe I’ve been a disruptive influence in the camp.”

“I’d now like to put this behind me and concentrate on trying to win what is a massive game for England.” “All I was trying to do was to say how important it is to me to try to win the World Cup.”

Fabio Capello has said John shouldn’t have said some of the things he said – but we’d like to see more leadership, courage and bravery from the England players – most of whom have looked like complete whimps in their first two games – and that’s being kind.

Fabio Capello commented on John’s comments at the Sunday press conference:

“Sometimes when you speak you have to be careful.” “The players may think individually but I have to think about the team. That’s what is important.”

“I respect Joe Cole. But he’s one of 23 players here. All the players are on the bench but I think also when we speak about the players, about one single player, I think you have to respect the other players that played before.”

“This is a big mistake, this is a very big mistake. My door is always open. If people want to speak with me they can speak with me”.

“Every time we have a meeting I ask the captain, problems? You want to say something? Never.” “Then I read that John Terry said this, I don’t understand why he doesn’t speak with me.”

“When you speak you have to speak privately, not with the media.”  “I think he is more disappointed. I know sometimes players want to speak more with you (the media) than with the other players. But the mistake is that you have to speak with the players, with me, with the dressing room.”

This is a smokescreen.  England have one game left to recover some pride for the England Nation.

Yesterday I went to the doctor, and he said he felt sorry for me because of England’s terrible performances in the first two games, and he said even the Americans were showing England up, because they have at least shown good spirit and fight in their two games.

And don’t give us this nonsense about them being under pressure – they are grossly overpaid for what they do – and seem like weaklings when they play in big games – it’s just too much for them.

We’ll not even mention what happens to them in penalty shoot-outs.

The should try running a $2B business for IBM if  they want to know what real pressure is all  about – every single day.

We’ve always thought England players were very weak on the mental side of the game, and that’s one real reason we haven’t won anything since 1966.   If  only we had stronger players like John Terry in the side,  the England team wouldn’t be embarrassing the country so much in this World Cup so far.

Time for them all to stand up and be counted and be men – for a change – and start earning their ridiculous wages.

Please – no more excuses – just get the job done. Reasons or results – and we want to see results.

Yes I know this article will make some England fans furious at me – but hey – it’s the total truth – so far.

• Rotonda heights

Jun 22, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Not at all. Terry has acted like a complete prat ever since the Bridge thing came to light. Terry is a low intellect footballer, ike Rooney, on crazy money who has never had anybody say no to him.

Terry thinks he’s an ”untouchable”. There are ways and means of getting your message over t0 the manager . Going public with the media aint it, Terry has got absolutely no class at all.

• boater

Jun 22, 2010 at 1:42 PM

nope Ed wrong.

John terry was buddying up to the press, undermining the squad and hoping to distance himself from the problems in a very slimy way.

He’s an horrible piece of work and I think his international days are now over after this tournament – capello or not.

• Angryman the Angry fan

Jun 22, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Totally agree with previous 2 posts!!
    Terry is as thick as pigs!!

If anyone has done anything to undermine this england team this tournament……regardless, Terry has far exceeded them with his useless child like whineing regarding their inept performance v Algeria.

Yes Capello has to take some of the blame but equally proportioned amongst the 11 tw*ts who started the game, Terry has now put himself at the top of Pr*ck list and…………oh ?? hang on?? hasnt he always been up there!!

• bowburnmag

Jun 22, 2010 at 2:20 PM

What a load of nonsense Ed.

The lads above are all more or less spot-on. John Terry appears to have done what he clearly intended and distanced himself from the current plight. His comments were useful only to stroke the ego of Cole and Rooney. A quiet word in the ear would have done the same thing. In every other sense, they were ill-timed and ill-fitting for a former captain, which smacks of spite. He apparently wants to put this episode behind him, much like his other indiscretions. It’s about time he started worrying about the strikers getting in behind him.

What does that role at IBM have to do with things Ed? We all have respectively demanding jobs. These players are paid to be put under this sort of pressure week in week. They should be used to it. Footballers do their best talking on the pitch. They should it try it more often, and none more so than John Terry.

• Dalebgeordie

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:12 PM

I don’t get why people are making such a big deal about this. All he did was be honest, unlike other players who say what the media or players want them to. I’m 100% behind what he said, a player SHOULD be allowed to question his manager’s selection as this is only an opinion. Would’nt you guys want Nolan or smith to question houghton if he Is doing a Ruid Guillet and benching shearer for example. I really don’t understand capellos actions, why make a big deal out of absolutly nothing at all. Just let it slide cappelo, man up and put ur ego aside for the team. Why is Hesky( tities) still in the starting line up??

• bowburnmag

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Daleb – footballers these days have far more to say off the pitch than is entirely necessary. But if they need to say something they should toe the party line until the tournament is over. Breaking rank at this stage is unprofessional and lacking in common sense. ‘That meeting’ would have been a good time to let the manager know what he thinks. I couldn’t give a bollox what he thinks so he shouldn’t have felt the need to share his concerns with nation for my sake at least. I’d just like to see him concentrate on his own game. If England fail then people can call Capello on it. But a player speaking through the media about his gaffer’s tactics during a tournament is never going to do anything other than undermine him. The fact is, that squad and team should be good enough to beat USA and Algeria regardless of formations or selections. They were just poor. I’m not even sure why I’m sounding so fussed, England bore the pants off me and I never had much hope for them anyway. It’s the general attitude of players like Terry that really put me off though.

• Jarra Mag

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:26 PM

This is the first time I have ever wanted to reply to one of your updates. Have you been letting your lass loose onto your PC?
    Totally agree with the other responses – while I will watch and support England – this is only with the same passion as for Olympics, Rugby [Union], Cricket or a Europe in the Ryder Cup.
    “I dont care about Ashley….”
    Your thoughts on England put you in a very small minority in a NUFC related environment.
    As for Terry – every single thing about him – and Lampard, Cole, everything Chelski-“it wos West Ham wot won it in ’66”- just convinces me more each of my life day that all Cocknees are total and complete arrogant knackers.
    Remember Terry was “injured” last time we played them at home when there was snow on the ground? Soft cocknee get.
    I can’t wait to see any and all of the London mob take a fall – or ideally a kick in the balls. Dispicable arrogant prats and “loads-a-money” tossers every single one of them. If he gets dropped – which he deserves – I’ll laugh my socks off.
    I never thought I’d see an Italian with a backbone – but I prefer Capello any day to anyone that was born within 100 miles of Bow Bells.
    Apart from that Ed, keep up the good work – but get a chill pill next time you go to the quacks, and repeat “I hate cocknees” three times a day before meals. Then spit.

• geordielad880

Jun 22, 2010 at 4:41 PM

John Terry shouldnt be captain, he is a total muppet, everything he said in the press conference should have been kept private, i agree with some of his points, but he is going about it the wrong way, he is giving the press more ammunition, gerrard is captain, and is the right man for the job! Terry is an arrogant, egotistical idiot, he thinks he is so powerful, sorry mate this aint chelsea, if i was capello, i would tell him do as i say or go home, your choice!!! I agree players should be allowed to tell the manager their views, but in the end of the day capello is manager, give 100% and get on with the job