Newcastle Will Finish In A Respectable Position Next Season

Most Newcastle fans are looking just to survive next season back in the Premier League, but at least one player thinks the team can finish in a respectable position back in the big time.

Jose Enrique – expects Newcastle to do quite well next season

Jose  told the Evening Chronicle today:

“Anything is possible in the Premier League, but staying in it is the most important.” “But I always look up. I did in the Championship because I wanted to get promoted, and I will continue to do it next season.”

“It is not like Spain where you have four or five good teams – here you have 10 or 11 good teams with good squads.” “We need to be able to compete with them.”

“I’m sure if we show the same type of endeavour as we did last season we can gain a respectable finish in the Premier League.”

Enrique was expected to be sold about a year ago along with other player like Argentine pair Jonas and Coloccini, and experienced PL players like Alan Smith, Joey Barton and Kevin Nolan.

But all the lads wanted to stay on Tyneside and fight to get the club back to where it belongs,  and they were so successful at doing just that last season in the CC Championship, when the side walked away with the Championship title with a massive 102 points.

And Jose was one of Newcastle best players last season, and won out Newcastle United Blog – Player of the Season award, easily beating out Liverpudlian Kevin Nolan.

Enrique looked back on last season :

“I think it was scary at times last season for some teams that came to play us – it can be like that again this season.”

“You get grounds like Old Trafford and they are full all of the time, and we are similar. But to get it in the Championship shows what great supporters we have here.”

“I’ve said it before but we have the best fans in Europe.”

Other players did leave last season, and mostly it was those who wanted to leave so Habib Beye (Aston Villa), Michael Owen (Manchester United),  Sebastien Bassong (Spurs), Damien Duff (Fulham)  and  Oba Martins (Wolfsberg) jumped ship and seemed glad to get away.

And did anybody read that new nonsense from Michael Owen earlier this week – “I didn’t go to the World Cup because obviously  I was injured” – technically correct but of course untrue –  Michael hasn’t played for England for two years – since his skills deteriorated so rapidly at Newcastle.

He’s got to be kidding surely,  as Michael’s always injured these days, and the 30 year-old will find it very difficult to make the Manchester United starting eleven next season – the last year of his two year contract with the Red Devils  – and  now he says he wants to return to the England team – unbelievable.

Back to Newcastle and with our  fantastic success last season, the boys in black and white that stayed at the club, will be looking forward  to meeting those who left the sinking ship last summer.

Enrique continued:

“I hope we play against the players who left and we win! They know it’s a great city and we have great fans.”

“But we’ll be looking to beat them now we’re back in the Premier League.”

A decent middle of the table position next May will be a significant success for the Newcastle United club, that looked to be on its last legs a year ago at this time.

• Geordiedoonsooth

Jul 3, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Not unless we buy at least 3-4 very good players and a couple of loan deals

• dak76

Jul 3, 2010 at 1:41 PM

I reckon Ghana’s striker Asamoah Gyan could do a good job for us next season, type of ‘team’ player we need who will run all day for the cause (and defend when needed – last nights match a good example of what he offers to the team).

I know we have 5 or so strikers already, but he seems to be the kind of player who would add to the team and as barton says ‘fight in the trenches with’.

Just a thought………

• del

Jul 3, 2010 at 1:42 PM

I don’t think we’ll sign anyone.

• Howay The Lads

Jul 3, 2010 at 1:49 PM

I like Enrique more and more every time he speaks.

He’s mentioned the players who left once or twice before so I’m hoping when we play those teams he plays a blinder and even scores 😀

• Turkish Magpie

Jul 3, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Does anyone remember when Newcastle played Aston Villa at home 2 years ago (th season we got relegated) when Kinnear was in charge. Well Jose was up against Milner (a former player) and up until that game jose hadn’t reeli been well liked (well nowhere near as much now 😀 ) but he played an absolute blinder in that game and we won 2-0 and from then 0n he’s gotton better and better IMO anyways

also in that season we played Wigan and Charles Nzogbia, Nzogbia came onto the right for a bit and Jose pretty much made evry1’s day by keeping the annoying frenchman quiet all game and i seem to remember a last minute sliding tackle that was supposed to win us the game (however Old Bramble got an equaliser 30 seconds later)

I think Jose plays very well against old teammates and he addresses me as being alot smarter than he looks. Maybe he has the ability to remember how they play with pinpoint accuracy to attack their weaknesses, that all makes for a very clever and fantastic player

olay olay olay olay……olay olay!
    JOSE JOSE JOSE JOSE…… JOSE JOSE!

• boater

Jul 3, 2010 at 2:36 PM

rumours on a villa board that Hughton is in talks with with park chu-young (monaco) about a 5mil move to the toon.

• Oba

Jul 3, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Another solid Ligue 1 striker.

Impressed me with his performances at the World Cup. Never stops running, good pace and decent in the air too.

Another thing – he’s a beast at free-kicks. Almost scored a beauty against I think Uruguay. Hit the post. Did score one vs. Nigeria in the group too.

We’ll see though. All just rumours at the moment.

• Robby Bobson

Jul 3, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Turkish Magpie….enrique against Lennon was his WOW performance for me.

And WTF!?! Yes Please!!!!

• Tramp

Jul 3, 2010 at 5:11 PM

I genuinely just drooled at the prospect of us getting Gosling!?

• Howay The Lads

Jul 3, 2010 at 5:24 PM

^^^^
    Err, drooling on yourself, tramp 😉

It won’t happen. I would love it to though 😀

• newcastle10

Jul 3, 2010 at 5:24 PM

sign gosling up fastt !!!

• Tramp

Jul 3, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Haha. Mouth watering prospect…

If we could pull that signing off i would be made up, agree though, i can’t see it materialising. Too many other clubs will be after his signature.

• Yorkie Dave

Jul 3, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Bit off subject but did everyone but me know that Xisco is gay??? Not that i have anything against him or his sexuality but could the reason he aint settled be the fact there is abit of gay bashing in the dressing room!!! when ive seen him play he just looks like he needs a good run of games and would be a classy forward!

• eltoro

Jul 3, 2010 at 6:16 PM

I had never heard that Xisco was gay.

If it is the case, the club should be fully supportive of him, not just to get some decent football from an expensive purchase but to provide a really positive breakthrough in football. If Xisco became the premiership’s first openly gay player and was scoring 20 goals a season, I think even the most narrow-minded would be swayed.

• Howay The Lads

Jul 3, 2010 at 6:30 PM

He’s not gay!

Just because there is a photo of him on the piss kissing a guy on the cheek with his top off in 30 degree weather doesn’t mean he’s gay. He might not be straight either, but to assume he’s gay because of that is just foolish. As if nobody’s ever kissed someone of the same sex when they were smashed :L

• marshy

Jul 3, 2010 at 10:27 PM

wish I had enriques confidence.