Newcastle After Kyle Naughton – Keen To Join Magpies

News this morning that the Newcastle club are looking into bringing England Under-21 international full-back Kyle Naughton on loan from Tottenham.

Kyle Naughton – a terrific young player

Newcastle were interested in this lad while he was still at Sheffield United and he is a top young player in the making.

The Evening Chronicle is reporting the young Tottenham Hotspur full-back, who was on loan at Middlebrough earlier this year, is the subject of interest from the Newcastle club.

Of course Chris Hughton is very well thought of at the Spurs club, where he coached for 13 seasons, and Chris will have very chance of securing this player if  Harry Redknapp is willing to let the player leave on a full season loan deal.

Chris is said to have a terrific relationship with Redknapp, and Chris is after defensive reinforcements with Danny Simpson out until September, as the player recovers from an end-of-season operation for tendon damage.

21 year-old Kyle Naughton can play in either full-back position or in midfield and played 15 games at Middlesbrough on loan last season in the Championship.

Sources close to Naughton, contacted by the Chronicle, say the youngster would “jump at the chance” to play for Newcastle next season.

Naughton said today:

“I have another three years on my contract at Tottenham so there is plenty of time for me to do well there.” “I’m still young and only broke into the Sheffield United team in 2008/09.”

“I haven’t played all that many games. When Spurs came in for me, it was too good an opportunity to turn down and I have never regretted going there.”

“My game has improved a lot through playing and training with some of the most talented players in the world.” “I’ve really benefited from the coaching I have received.”

“I’ve improved on the ball and my confidence is higher.”

Of course Newcastle are such a famous club, and Harry Redknapp knows all about Newcastle and their supporters, that they must be a big attraction to young players that need to get first  team experience somewhere.

But this signing would be bad news for Danny Simpson, because Chris would need to play Kyle so he gets the experience he’s been loaned out for,  otherwise it is of no use to the player or his Spurs club.

With the Perch imminent signing and now this – things are looking a little bit rosier in the Newcastle garden, and hey, where are those pictures of our boys back training at Benton today? 😀

• RichK

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:03 PM

This is absolute rubbish, why would we go out and pay £1m plus for perchy and then bring him in on loan when we already have DS and RT too. How many RB’s does one team need?

• Toon1978

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:03 PM

OVER THE MOON if we get Perch and if we get Naughton that would be even better. Next Gosling then a few few other players then all should be fine lol.

• Newutd

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Over the moon? haha. Not really begging for much then.

• NUFC_Richyg01

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Brilliant, CH is showing good signs here in the transfer market, looking to bring in good young talent.

RichK, Ryan Taylor has never really done a job at Right Back and always looks vulnerable when played there, wouldnt be surprised to see him shipped out imo.

• Newutd

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Unless it was sarcastic..;)

• boater

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Perch is cover across the back 4 presumably. I don’t think for a minute RT will be off. Simpson is CH’s first choice next season. Naughton would have been a back up option should the perch deal have fallen through.

Striker and left footer now please!

• MacToon

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:23 PM

We can have 4 loan signings over the season but only 2 on the books at a time so I hope CH chooses wisely and picks loanee’s who’ll be first team choices.

With Perch signed and more coming in (hopefully) I can’t see much space in the starting 11 for Smith 🙂

• del

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Not sure about all these youngsters. It’s a bit like Logan’s Run at the minute…

• boater

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Mactoon – Smith will be brought in for tough away games, or to help see out results as he was last season.
    I’m pretty sure our starting 11 is already on the books now – with the possible exception of a young, mobile striker to partner Carroll.

• MacToon

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:37 PM

boater, I say that about Smith because Perch is a defensive mf too apparantly. Smith for me hasn’t got the pace nor the footballing brain ( to compensate for lack of pace) for the prem IMHO. We’ll get punished giving freekicks away outside the box in this league.

• MacToon

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:41 PM

2 or 3 more additions and we may do ok, need some creativity in mf/wings and a striker.

Routledge hopefully will do ok as will Jonas but we do need backup for these positions. Weiss maybe or?

• NUFC_Richyg01

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:46 PM

We are also rumoured to ba after Lee Naylor, LB just released by Celtic.

Perch has signed, all sealed, its on NUFC.co.uk

• Captain Beefheart

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:46 PM

@7: ‘With Perch signed and more coming in (hopefully) I can’t see much space in the starting 11 for Smith’

As I recall. MacT, there wasn’t much room for Smith in the Fizzy First XI by the end of the campaign.

The Perch capture is pretty mediocre fare, and not the sort of signing I had expected at this stage tbh. CH really needs to set his sights higher as there’s no way Perch is going to be anything but a light snack for a Tevez or a Drogba – or probably even a Milner.

Have we forgotten exactly what teams we are up against last year, or has our honeymoon last season against lower league fodder gone to our head? Like an underachieving 13 year old still held back at primary school and kicking the other kids around.

I like Chris, I like his methods, but I am increasingly aghast at some of his wasteful signings such as Best and now Perch (even Forest fans were pleased to see him go). It’s 100% pointless getting in players that are no way as good as the ones we already have in the reserves who can’t get games.

Suddenly I seem to have one warning light flashing on the relegation meter….. Will someone please show Chris and Colin the fixture list again before any more damage is done? Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Man City. Villa…. etc… IT’S NOT SCUNTHORPE, PLYMOUTH, BARNSLEY, PETERBOROUGH, DONCASTER or BRISTOL CITY ANYMORE.

PS: MacT, personally, I’d still rather keep Smith for the moment if Perch is a an example of ‘strengthening’.

• Alan

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:51 PM

@richyg01

Lee Naylor lives by me in the Midlands and I often see him in the local pub. Ill pester him about this if i see him again1 🙂

• Newutd

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Lee Naylor is a definite NO.

• Robby Bobson

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:11 PM

I think now we have perch we dont need naylor.

• simon winham

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:13 PM

James Perch 4 yr deal can play across the back four and in midfield

• Captain Beefheart

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:15 PM

One relegation warning light has started flashing before we even kick off. CH, I salute your astuteness most of the time, but signing Perch on top of the Best disaster is not terribly clever. Perch v Tevez (or Torres)? Who are you fooling? This is depressing.

PS: Will someone please show Chris and Colin the real fixture list for THIS season as I think Cashley has given them LAST season’s in an attempt to save more money.

Thank you, I need to lie down.

• gorskino10

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Better than Simpson and would add the kind of the players i like ENGLISH! BUT i dont WANT anyone on loan there is no point only as cover i DONT want a loan signing who plays ahead of our youngsters who i remind you guys are thr 3rd best behind Aston Villa and Chelsea.

• simon winham

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:21 PM

James Perch can play across the back 4 and in midfield now let’s sign Gosling and a striker to partner Carroll

• mala11883

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:38 PM

why is everyone taliking about a strike patrner for carroll has everybody forgot about lovenkrands , imo carroll is a championship player as is shola they will be the next chopra

• Newutd

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Forgot about Løvenkrands? You know there is a reason we let him on a free? He was pooor in the premiership for us. I have hopes for him now though, but I have even more belief in Carroll.

Neither way, we need a speedy prolific striker to partner Carroll.

• Bucks mag

Jul 5, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Captain Beefheart – what so Championship defenders can’t do well in the EPL?

• cupiddstunt

Jul 5, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Beefy you type like the other 19 teams in the prem are just like Chelski, Manure, Arsen-hole etc.

Get a grip and quit you moaning, two thirds of the prem are struggling for players the same as us so what is your problem?

Wana go back to the trophy signings of years gone by?

• baro

Jul 5, 2010 at 9:04 PM

I would take Kyle Naughton over Simpson any day. Simpson is totally crap always been crap. Kyle Naughton is very versatile and has escellent speed. Plays anywhere in back 4. Terrific loan signing with hopefully a view to permanent.