Peter Lovenkrand’s Record Beats Michael Owen’s At Newcastle

Pete Lovenkrands had a rough start to last season,  but this year came through big time with 14 of his 16 goals scored in the second half of the season.

Peter Lovenkrands – looking forward to next season

Peter had some injury problems early in the season,  and of course his father was very sick and finally passed away last January. At the time Peter was given massive support by the Newcastle fans, and Peter  was at that time on a goal-scoring run and dedicated the goals to his father’s memory.

Peter is back with the rest of the lads in pre-season training, since Monday, and he told the Evening Chronicle:

“I felt I had a really good season, and the team did as well.” “It was really pleasing, and we could relax and enjoy the summer.” “It’s really important for me that I’ll be able to join from the start, which I didn’t do last year. Hopefully, that will show on the pitch.”

“I want to be 100% from the start, especially with it being Man U away.” “It means a lot, and I’m pleased to be part of it.” “Touch wood, there will be no injuries, and I’ll be fit for the start of the season. That’s what I‘’ll’m aiming for.”

And one thing that served Newcastle very well throughout last season when things got tough, which they inevitably do in stages of the season, was the terrific team spirit that exists on Tyneside.

That’s one of the major things that makes us think the lads will do OK next season, and hopefully will not be involved in a relegation scrap.

Peter continued:

“It’s been great.” “The boys are really up for it – the same kind of attitude as last year.” “The boys really want to get started and get working.”

“We want to enjoy ourselves as well.”  “First of all, the main target is to stay in the Premier League.” “When you go down and come up again a lot of people expect you to go back down again.”

“So the main thing is to stay up. But the squad we have has a lot of potential. I’m sure the boys themselves think that as well.” “We’re going to go and give it our best shot, and we’ll aim to be up in the middle of the table.”

If Lovenkrands can beat his 16 goals of last season (the Chronicle is saying it’s 17 – but it’s 16 – believe us), he will have a tremendous season in the Premier league and Newcastle will probably have done very well.

The Denmark international is keen to score more goals on Tyneside adding:

“My wife last year said 15, and I beat that goal by a little bit, so I’ll wait to see what she says, and I’ll try to beat that! ” “When I first came to the club, I played up with Oba Martins, and we played really well together. I proved I could play in that league.”

“Last year, I think I proved what my position really is, and I’m sure with the players we have wide, Chris knows I can play up front or behind the striker.” “It’s all about confidence – if you get off to a good start, and get on a good run, it can take you a long way.”

There’s no doubt that Peter Lovenkrands is a very talented player, and since he was signed for nothing 18 months ago, he has appeared 44 times for the Magpies with 19 goals (0.43 goals per game).

That’s a record that is so much better than a certain Michael Owen – 30 goals in 79 appearances – (0.38 goals per game) but over four year

And the wage bill over those four years was a massive  £22M paid out by the club to the former England International, who left Tyneside in his own helicopter just two days after Newcastle were relegated  without saying one word –  and he was our captain?  So much for the team spirit during the relegation season.

And we hear Michael is happy Newcastle were promoted last season – oh – and by the way Michael cost us a massive £17M more than we paid for Peter.

Go figure.

• peterktoon

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I really really hope Løvenkrands will be given the chance to shine, I trust him 100 % to do the job.
    He and Andy C play so well together. My only worry is Chris H will play Shola with Andy C and we all know that wont work. Shola is to slow and lazy and we have seen before that 2 big strikers dont work. We need a big striker like Andy C and a small fast striker like Løvenkrands.

• gorskino10

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Me too, its sad to say this but ever since his dad died it put his footballing life into perspective, he wanted to make a name of himself for the club and did that last season, looks so much more mature infront of goal and with that i think he has what it takes to succed in the EPL

• NUFC_Richyg01

Jul 7, 2010 at 2:00 PM

I believe that McLoven and Any are our main two strikers and the fact that they played together well last season can only put them in good standing for doing so this season.

Shola shouldnt even be near the team sheet in my opinion, he did okay the start of last season but he has never done it for us in the premiership.

I think it is time to cut our losses there and look somewhere else for some backup for our main two.

• Aza9

Jul 7, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Think we should go 3 up front this season Ameobi, Xisco and Best. Guaranteed 20 goals from each of them!

• roblee7

Jul 7, 2010 at 2:10 PM

on the xisco front, i think we shud give the lad a chance. he was thrown into an utterly horrible situation, knowing that keegan didn’t want him signed, and all this going on coming from another country at a very young age. NUFC seem to have a knack of taking top european players and throwing them to the scrap heep, would be nice to see one make! I thought Hugo Viana had alot of talent and if he had went to a different club, could have been excellent. Yes, he was a bit of a soft lad, but given a bit more time and patience, he could have been great. not so sure about the likes of luque mind you….

• roblee7

Jul 7, 2010 at 2:12 PM

and i still like the look of that sjkelbred guy, anyone know if he is still on the radar???

• roblee7

Jul 7, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Heres my prediction for premier league finish this season

1 Man City
    17 Sunderland
    18 West Brom
    19 Blackpool
    20 Wolves

• Solaidback

Jul 7, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Glad to see the Muckems below us & it could well happen as it seems Sourpuss has brought in 4 players so far & none of them have ever played in the PL, so no experience for them, plus he’s got to start selling some players to balance the books or Mr Ellis won’t be too happy .. lol

Also I don’t think Manc Al Citey will win this season as they’re bringing in too many new players to gel together, so maybe next if they can keep the same side & manager as this season, I’ll go for Chelski or Manc Usa to win!!

• roblee7

Jul 7, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Hmmm, i dunno, think they’ll be there or thereabouts like….im thinking the likes of terry, lampard, rooney, etc, mite hopefully bring their world cup form into the premier league so the rest of us have more of a chance!wud rather man city won then arsenal, chelsea, man u, tottenham, etc…of course i want us to win it, but what would the odds be on that? 10,000 to 1??

• NUFC_Richyg01

Jul 7, 2010 at 2:45 PM

I agree RobLee7 Xisco needs to be given a chance, and Hughton has said that everyone is starting with a clean slate.

I think people are hard on Xisco but to be honest he aint played for us much and we all know it can take a long time to pick up the EPL, just look at the likes of Henry, Solskjaer etc…

• roblee7

Jul 7, 2010 at 2:48 PM

i mean, one thing that was glaringly obvious even in the few games he played was his lack of pace, but if he’s got the finish, is good in the air, then could be a good back-up to Carrol perhaps?

• NUFC_Richyg01

Jul 7, 2010 at 2:48 PM

@roblee7, think our odds are about a million to one!

Seriously tho, our odds are shorter than 11 other teams!

• ebol

Jul 7, 2010 at 2:57 PM

LOL Aza9 – good thing wedon’t have Souness any more eh?

• roblee7

Jul 7, 2010 at 3:11 PM

shorter than 11 other teams….that would make my prediction of 12th correct 🙂 Seriously, I’d be delighted if we finished anywhere between 10th and 14th, can’t see us finishing higher than that, and at the same time, I’d be suprised if we finished lower! I think we have a far better squad than the likes of wolves, west brom, blackpool,bolton, stoke, and ….sunderland! id say we’re on a par with wigan, birmingham, fulham and west ham, or thereabouts

• roblee7

Jul 7, 2010 at 3:14 PM

i say fulham there, as i think hodgson got the best out of the team and without him, i think may struggle. don’t think they have any particularly brilliant players….although i’d take zamora, dempsey, hangeland and davies off them any day

• carl nufc

Jul 7, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Hi ed do you have any info in regards to Steven Taylor’s proposed transfer to Liverpool? I was told he hasn’t had a medical and is in talks with Newcastle about a new 4 year deal although an enquiry was made.
    All my sources are telling me that Dan Gosling is now a free agent, can’t really see him signing for Newcastle although there is currently an agent in Newcastle finalising a transfer of a player from the Manchester/Liverpool area, but that could be anyone. {editor’s note – I don’t believe there to be anything in the Taylor rumours to be honest, just an agent trying to get his player a better contract. All that has happened with Gosling is that his contract offer was verbal instead of in writing, I fully expect him to sign a new contract with Everton in the near future.}

Just found this on another site, anyone have any idea who it could be??????
    the winner gets a £5 from ED

• roblee7

Jul 7, 2010 at 3:42 PM

NUFC WORLD BEATERS!!!!!

hooper

marcelino bramble boumsong pistone

guiv’arch maric amdy faye hamilton

fumaca anderson

• roblee7

Jul 7, 2010 at 3:49 PM

MOST UNDERRATED NUFC PREMEIR LEAGUE 11!!!

HISLOP

HUGHES HELDER ABDOULAYE FAYE DOMI

GALLAGHER ACUNA VIANA GLASS

TOMASSON ROSSI

• madman67

Jul 7, 2010 at 4:01 PM

3 women in Drs, awaiting pregnancy results. 1st women a brunette says “i think im gonna have a girl, coz when havin sex i was on top”
    2nd women a red head, says “well i think im gonna have a boy, coz i was on bottom”
    at this the 3rd women a blonde bursts into tears, the other women try consoling her nd ask, “whats the problem”?
    “im going to have puppies…”! 😉

• Robby Bobson

Jul 7, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Lovenkrands gets lost in games sometimes and probably a player to be played at home, and then away from home have nolan in the hole.

And with Xisco faking an injury to not play and get away is one of the biggest insults to the club, so should be told to stay away. Also you say Keegan didnt want him, but Xisco claims he met with Keegan and he convinced him to join, which really is confusing.

• roblee7

Jul 7, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Yeah, totally confusing as keegan did state that he had nothing to do with the signing….hmmm, forgot about the faking the injury bit like! any player found guilty of that should be banned from football forever

• AndyMac

Jul 7, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Sorry but Lovenkrands, just like Kris Boyd, is not Premiership standard.

He might work as an impact player but his alleged pace is not a weapon likely to strike fear in the already pacey Premier League.

• simon winham

Jul 7, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Toons Strikers start of the season : CARROLL, LOVENKRANDS, McFADDEN, XISCO, BEST.

Sell: AMEOBI

Loan Out : RANGER

• baro

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:28 PM

I dont think Peter Lovenkrands is the type of Premier League striker we need.

• Mac

Jul 7, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Get rid of Shola and Best.

• daffy

Jul 7, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Ha Ha , You lot make me laugh, theres no way youll finish above SAFC next season . Bottom 6 all season for you. Prob 10th for us.

• Mac

Jul 7, 2010 at 11:37 PM

Shut it Daffy you little nonce. Get back into bed with your mother,

• howay man

Jul 7, 2010 at 11:50 PM

if we compare ourselves to clubs like stoke,birmingham and fulham these are clubs that actually dont really have that much quality certainly no more than us but they have a great togetherness just as we have and these clubs finished midtable last season so that is totally what i expect us to do.

• howay man

Jul 7, 2010 at 11:52 PM

no mac you mean ‘get back into bed with your sister’ no wait its the same person. 😉

• Robby Bobson

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:06 AM

Jonathan De Guzman anyone?

Yes, yes, HELL YES!!!!

• Sav

Jul 8, 2010 at 2:58 AM

The criticism of Lovenkrands is probably reasonable. But the worrying fact remains, him and Carroll form our only serious strike partnership. The other 3 are not Prem standard and should be got rid of. They aren’t even good enough for back-up and none of them could be an ‘impact substitute’ as either carroll or McLoven could.
    Unless CH gets some serious transferring done, we are in bother.

• Partizan

Jul 8, 2010 at 5:28 AM

Lukovic from Udineze is available for a cut price,,,excellent CB,he was a starter in the WC for Serbia…..i think 4 mill is more than enough for him and he’s 27,,excellent age for a defender.
    In case we lose Taylor,he would be more than excellent to replace him,,,in fact,he could command our defence even better than Colo and Wiliamson.

• Darling27

Jul 8, 2010 at 7:18 AM

Jonathan Alexander De Guzman being linked oh yes!!! On a free too!!!