The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Can Xisco Make A Surprising Comeback At Newcastle?

12:25 pm, Tuesday, July 13th, 2010 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 27 Comments

Well would you believe it, Newcastle manager Chris Hughton has said today that 24 year-old Spanish striker Xisco may still have a part to play for Newcastle United next season.

Xisco - comeback at Newcastle?

The Spanish Under-21 international – 11 caps 3 goals –  has been at the club almost two years now since joining from Deportivo la Coruna in a £5.7M deal on September 1st, 2008.

His first season was dogged by injury though he did appear 7 times with one goal, and didn’t really get much of a chance at Newcastle during our relegation season.

Xisco will get a game at Brunton Park against Carlisle United on Saturday, and no doubt that will give Chris a chance to get a look at him.

Hughton told the Evening Chronicle today:

“Xisco is in very good spirits, but that’s what his personality has been like during his time with the club. I think he looks at everything as an opportunity.”

“Last season we allowed him to go on loan to Racing Santander.” “And what we need to do now is assess him and then make decisions.”

“He’s still young, and in the pre-season we’ll see how he is and take it from there.”

Xisco was very expensive and was in now way worth his transfer fee, but hey, if the lad can fight his way back into contention at Newcastle and show he can play a part on Tyneside – so be it - and good for him.

However, we have to think that the first decent bid for the 24 year-old either for a permanent deal or a loan move, would be accepted.

And it could also be that Xisco himself would want a move back to his native Spain.

Chris continued:

“Xisco will play at Carlisle and everybody will get a game.”

“Apart from Danny Simpson and Jonas Gutierrez, who is still not involved because he played in the World Cup, everybody will get an opportunity.”

Xisco will have a good chance to shine on Saturday and if he can get a couple of goals – who knows – maybe he can make a surprising and unexpected comeback at Newcastle – it’s completely up to him.

If we he can do that we would welcome it, and it would show he at least that the lad has the right spirit and character.

Tags: Newcastle News · Xisco

27 responses so far ↓

• 1 toonoholic // Jul 13, 2010 at 12:28 PM

• 2 BeeGuy // Jul 13, 2010 at 12:38 PM

CH should give Xisco at least as much chance as he has offered to Best.

• 3 Davies // Jul 13, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Same ol’ question, same ol’ answers….

• 4 Robby Bobson // Jul 13, 2010 at 12:43 PM

But Best didnt fake an injury to get away.

Clearly hes attitude stinks, if so many managers didnt use him. I suppose if hes come back a new man and motivated then why not give him a last chance.

• 5 Angryman the Angry fan // Jul 13, 2010 at 12:46 PM

• 6 gunnarnufc // Jul 13, 2010 at 12:48 PM

He’s better than Best. It’s a very very slim chance he will ever really become a Newcastle player, but a lot of people here give him to much stick. He has appeared 7 times for Newcastle, and I’m not sure he ever started. For a young player coming from a different country that’s not really giving him a chance. I expect him to appear as a sub for Carroll this season.

But let’s no forget he didn’t play well in Spain last season.

• 7 greekgeordie // Jul 13, 2010 at 12:50 PM

All Spanish players have their spirits uplifted with Spain’s World Cup success, so let’s take a chance on the lad it will cost us nothing as the £5.7 M have already gone and we might be pleasantly suprised. With Jose, Jonas and Colo in the team Xisco might feel not so much isolated and unwanted by club and supporters.
    After all it was not his fault the way that his transfer went and I think the fans should welcome him at Carlisle and show him that if his heart is in the right place Newcastle can become a very pleasant Goldfish bowl for him.
    Would BBC Newcastle have a live update on the Carlisle game?

• 8 NUFC_Richyg01 // Jul 13, 2010 at 12:53 PM

I dont think he has had a fair crack at the Whip.

To be honest, I dont blame him for wanting to get away with all what was going on, he was getting part of the blame for KK leaving and the turmoil that followed, I wouldnt have wanted to stick around.

But, fair play to him, he has come back to us and is participating, so hopefully CH will see what he is capable of and maybe we will get to see more of him.

Like people say, he is better than Best.

• 9 cgrizzly87 // Jul 13, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Give the kid a f*&%ing chance you retards.

We’re gonna make a massive loss on him regardless, so if we don’t shift him before Sept then there is always the option to loan him out. Failing that we sell in Jan!

I would really love to see anyone on here to better, I would LOVE IT!

• 10 G // Jul 13, 2010 at 1:03 PM

The kid must have been mentally knackered by the whole KK walk out. We really do need to look at him in a new light now. Forget what has happened in the past, and treat him like any member of our squad. If he is good enough, he should play. A no brainer really.

• 11 toonoholic // Jul 13, 2010 at 1:08 PM

give him a chance undoubtedly, but the answer to eds question is

• 12 G // Jul 13, 2010 at 1:10 PM

I dont want to fall out with anybody over this, but seriously, why not?

• 13 ginkoh // Jul 13, 2010 at 1:26 PM

I’ll give my all support to every single Newcastle players. Even Xisco is the one of reason to make us down but It’s not his fault and no problem for me. I’ll love to give him another chance especially with good spirit squad now.

Hughton know what he need to do so don’t negative so much.

• 14 punk skunk... // Jul 13, 2010 at 1:27 PM

What’s the point of Not giving him a chance?..
    …He cost a bunch…So even if it gets him in the shop window, it’s a good move…
    …& he never got a proper chance ‘cos of the kk debacle anyway!..

…Give the lad a proper chance & get off his & all our players backs, for cryin’ out loud!..

• 15 punk skunk... // Jul 13, 2010 at 1:49 PM

The banner looks better now ed, though i would like to see AS in the shirt, in his pomp!..

• 16 Ericles // Jul 13, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Give Xisco a chance and a fair crack. If he is genuine about being a NUFC player we will soon see. How will he do if he thinks too many are on his back? He is a black and white so until he shows he is not good enough in our stripes we should support him. Hard I know for some but there it is! I will wait and trust CH on this one.

• 17 G // Jul 13, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Ericles @ 16. Back of the net mate.

• 18 tynesidetommo // Jul 13, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Time to wipe the slate clean and give the guy the chance he never really got first time round. He didn’t dictate the excessive price tag. As for Best he showed enough for me to keep him another season in the hope he will continue his development and improve. But for some bad luck he could have got himself on the score sheet last season. Let’s just keep off his back and keep the faith in him and the manager’s judgement which has been surprisingly good so far.

• 19 Ericles // Jul 13, 2010 at 2:51 PM

I reckon we gave a good one in CH. I was not sure at first but I am now. Good to know we have a down to earth manager whose only baggage is that he carries his boots and mobile phone in.

• 20 Newutd // Jul 13, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Shitty attitude. Shitty player. Flop.

Load the rubbish off.

• 21 Stardust // Jul 13, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Ericles – agree with your sentiments in CH – with every passing day I am more grateful that he is our manager.

He has humility and strength of character. He also appears to know exactly what we need, where we need it and how to get it at a price we can afford. Not only that but I think he has everyones respect – and those few fans who are yet to be convinced seemed to be turning his way.

I echo many peoples sentiments – best manager for us since SBR.

On the topic – I just hope folk give Xisco a chance to develop if he plays, and not “arrrgghhhhh” and pillory him after the first mistake he makes – to forever undermine his confidence until they scare him out of town.

He is our player – folk should support and encourage him.

• 22 NUFC_Richyg01 // Jul 13, 2010 at 3:45 PM

If he cocks up his chance then condemn him, but in the mean time, the lad is an NUFC player and you should support him the same as anyone else wearing the shirt.

Everyone deserves a chance, as yet Xisco has not been given a decent chance.

• 23 The-Ciaran8 // Jul 13, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Surley if we were to give him a chance it should off been last year in the championship.

• 24 Captain Beefheart // Jul 13, 2010 at 7:55 PM

@21: ‘I echo many peoples sentiments – best manager for us since SBR.’

Actually, I would say best post war manager with the exception of SBR. But I’m probably a lot older than you SD!

Of course it is better to give the lad another chance. Worst that can happen is he scores a few goals and other teams star sniffin’ – and we get some of that capital investment back…

• 25 flair20 // Jul 13, 2010 at 9:08 PM

He deserves a chance. Spent ages writing out my views but it turned into a book so I put it on my blog instead (click the link if you can be bothered to read it!). To cut a long story short, he deserves a chance – circumstances in his first season were horrendous for a kid who’d just moved abroad etc. He has my support if he sticks around, if not good luck to him.

• 26 Newutd // Jul 13, 2010 at 11:30 PM

For gods sake. He is and was never good enough. He wasn’t even good for Racing. Throw the high paid “i’m wounded” shit out.

• 27 Sav // Jul 14, 2010 at 2:17 AM

There’s only one reason he’s ‘getting another chance’ – because we can’t get rid of him anywhere else. This is like ‘Spring and Port Wine’ where James mason keeps putting the plate of herring out until it gets eaten.
    No wonder Xisco is in good spirits – He keeps glancing at his payslip!

previous post: Pictures Of Newcastle Players Training In Ireland