Harper Hopes To Play At Newcastle For A Few More Seasons

Newcastle’s veteran goalkeeper Steve Harper not surprisingly has no intention of leaving St James’ Park this summer.

Steve Harper – going nowhere

The 35 year-old goalkeeper has recently been linked with Celtic, after their first team goalkeeper Artur Boruc moved to Fiorentina.

New Celtic boss Neil Lennon, fresh form his success of singing Cardiff’s Joe Ledley for nothing, is after a replacement for the Polish International.

It’s hardly surprising that Steve doesn’t want o go anywhere, after playing understudy to Shay Given for several years at Newcastle.

My wife and I are in Plymouth, England for about 5 days, with her sister Ann, and my brother in Law Mick, who of course is a Newcastle United season ticket holder.

And over a few beers last night we realized we have different views on Newcastle and the players, and Mick would like Steve Harper to move on and give the two youngsters – Fraser Forster and Tim Krul a chance.

Mick also thinks Shay Given was way over-rated at Newcastle, principally because he was so poor at crosses and never controlled his area – unlike the two young goalkeepers we have at the club right now.

But Steve doesn’t want to leave:

“I have waited years for the opportunity of first-team football with Newcastle United in the Premier League so I’m not going to turn my back on it now,”

“I still have a couple of years left on my contract and I am looking to play on for as long as possible.” “I’ve only played around 200 first-team games and, if I can get that up to 400 that would be fantastic.”

Well there you have it – Steve has no intention of retiring anytime soon, and could well play on for another 3-4 years, and that may pose a challenge for Chris Hughton, if he has to keep the young lads at Newcastle.

Of course he can loan them out – at least one at a time, and of course if one of them improves enough, they could still our Steve from the number one spot within a year or two.

• Thump

Jul 16, 2010 at 9:39 AM

I feel bad for the younger lads but it will hopefully breed some healthy competition.

• Newutd

Jul 16, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Few more? Nah, give him one more.

• howay man

Jul 16, 2010 at 9:47 AM

in fairness there has been no-other servant as loyal to newcastle as steve harper its as simple as that. but there is no room for sentiment in the premier league. we should play whoever is the best man for the job simple as that! currently it is easilly harps

• Hugh G Hampton

Jul 16, 2010 at 9:54 AM

As good a servant as Harper has been, Newcastle stand to lose out big time if they do not blood the excellent 2 young goalkeeping prospects that they have.
    Harper’s experience will be vital this season but after that should move on so Forster and Krul can get the necessary experience.

• TheMags

Jul 16, 2010 at 9:55 AM

i dont really rate harper tht much a little too aregent forr me and i believe krul is better bt he has been a gd loyal servent to the club

• Gash

Jul 16, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Steve Harper
    Loyal Servant
    Deserves his chance at a full season of Premier League….providing his form continues
    Give Tim Krul the Cup Competitions and Loan out Fraser Forster again BUT only for one more season.
    Then once we achieve mid table safety, next season allow Steve to move on, Give Tim No 1 shirt and Fraser as reserve.
    Keep building the rest of the team like we are building / nurturing our keepers and we can steadily progress.
    And that is not a dream or fantasy it can really happen.
    HTL

• Rotonda heights

Jul 16, 2010 at 10:49 AM

200 more games spells the end for Krul and Forster. Yes he’s been loyal but maybe no-one else would have paid him as much as he got from NUFC, staying on the bench all those years.

Harper is a more than competent keeper, but look how well Carroll, Ranger and Kadar have played when called upon and given the chance.

Krul’s time is now and we can’t afford to continually block the first team path for our youngsters who aren’t even that young any more. Krul debuted against Palermo with a world class performance nearly 5 years ago and has virtually not had a sniff since.

• KingChubby

Jul 16, 2010 at 12:26 PM

I agree with Mick, sorry Harps!

• John

Jul 16, 2010 at 12:33 PM

to be honest id let go can never forget liverpool away him tripping himself up and xaibi alonso chipping him from the halfway line, he doesent come for crosses either, id have krul as number 1.

• Born Again Geordie

Jul 16, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Krul should be number 1 I love Stevie Harper but lets face it he is no Shay Given. I think Tim could be a fantastic asset and really bossom in the prem this season! Sorry Harps

• Born Again Geordie