Joey Wants England Place – He Needs Newcastle Place First

Seems like Joey Barton – that new very upbeat player at Newcastle United, is aiming to get into the England side next season.

Joey Barton – just delighted at Newcastle promotion

After watching England play in the World Cup, I’m sure a lot  us were thinking the same thing – if those are the best players England can produce  – as a team – then we are already a second class football nation.

But the main thing we saw wrong with the England players is is they are so fragile mentally – upstairs.

My friends kept asking me if Wayne Rooney was injured and I said – only in the head.

Maybe if these spoiled and way overpaid boys would go on an Army boot camp for say 6 weeks – some of them may even grow up and be able to take some responsibility for themselves.

But yes, we know – we are dreaming again – it’s never going to happen – get up at 5:00am – you have to be kidding.

Joey Barton talked about his current form and play, and he thinks he’s now a much better player than when he joined the Magpies a full three years ago, when big Sam Allardyce was managing the club:

“I don’t say this lightly, but I’m a much more rounded footballer now than I was when I first signed for this club,”

“Injuries have restricted my chances to show that. But if I can sustain fitness for a long period of time I’m very confident of finding the form that got me in the England squad.”

“Watching some of the performances in the World Cup over the summer, on form I’m as good as anybody in this country. I have to go out and prove it, but surely every midfielder in this country should be thinking like that?”

“They should be looking at it and saying, ‘That’s where I want to be and that’s where I can go’. That’s my goal. ”

Joey is right about the injuries since in 3 full seasons he’a appeared but 47 times with 3 goals for the club – so  we’d like to see Joey stay fit and put in say 30 appearances next season back in the Premier League

The Huyton-born player, who turns 28 in early September, continued:

“ Hopefully now they will stop picking big names and pick players that are playing well,”

We agree with that last statement big time, but we would put it a little differently – let’s pick the England team based on how well the players play for England – not for their clubs.

We all know that Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard and Wayne Rooney are just great for their respective clubs, but they look just ordinary players for England – very ordinary in fact.

And Capello should not pick the best 11 players and then rearrange them – he should pick the best team – and that will mean different players playing, but all in their strongest positions.

For instance don’t play Steven Gerrard out on the wing – if he cannot make the team as a central midfielder or as a second striker- then don’t pick him.

We look forward to Joey Barton playing again for England – but of course he needs to get into the Newcastle first team first – first things first – and that’s by no means a certainty right now.

Well that’s it on this article – there’s quite a few opinions in here from us this morning – you talk about being opinionated – so that’s what we think.

Let’s know what your ideas and opinions are – because we created this blog over three years ago, to also give a forum for Newcastle supporters everywhere, to be able to express their own opinions.

Some former readers of course have even gone off and formed their own web-sites – and they are doing very well at it too – thinking they can do a lot better than us – funny how we inspire that opinion in our readers, isn’t it?

With the comments – just keep things fairly polite – and let’s not attack too many people – well except for me of course. 😀

Written from Plymouth, England.

• AngerOfTheNorth

Jul 20, 2010 at 8:49 AM

Sorry if you’ve felt attacked Ed – for what it’s worth I think this is still the best NUFC blog around. Maybe those of us who like it so much should say so a little more often.

Keep it up and enjoy your holiday.

As for Barton, this has to be the make-or-break season surely? If he’s at his best, he could go a long way towards keeping us up. If not, he’ll prove himself to have been a huge waste of time and money and will surely move on. Thankfully, I genuinely believe it’ll be the former.

• Doha Mag

Jul 20, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Ed, in my opinion, your blog is the best around so keep up the excellent work bonny lad!

As for Joey Barton I was hoping for better things from him when he was first signed. However, injury and jail have curtailed his Newcastle career.

He certainly has the potential to be an England player if he stays fit and out of trouble. Time will tell but hope he does well for NUFC next season as we’ll need him……

• JohnNUFC

Jul 20, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Great work Ed as usual, this is the best nufc blog by far so chin up. hope hols are goin well

I agree lads, he’s one of the few players with us that have that extra touch of quality, some good assists last season and he always gives 110% when others don’t, I really started to like him and his attitude for the club him since that spat with Enrique at blackburn. his name has been on every nufc jersey i got since! it’s all in his own hands and I really hope he does it

As for his England career I really hope he gets back in there, I mean could a fit joey barton have been any worse that Gareth Barry was in SA?

• GS

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:30 PM

I read this site every day but this is the first time I am leaving a comment, mainly to say I enjoy reading Ed’s blog. JohnNUFC – I cannot fathom the performances of Barry and Rooney. Some people say they were injured but that would not explain why they suddenly can’t trap a ball or complete a 5 yard pass. That time when Barry was given a 2 yard headstart to the ball and beaten by 3 yards to it was just embarrassing.

• Robbanufc

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:06 PM

This blog is by far the best out there, Ed. Too much doom and gloom on the others imo. I love you’re positivity!

England was poor all over the line in SA. Ship them all out, and bring in players who give 110%, always.

• lewman

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:12 PM

joey barton for prime minister maybe
    unfortunatly with his personal record i bet he could score twenty goals this season and still not make the england squad, but maybe as he is so injury prone then we could do with him not making the england squad in my opinion.

• JohnNUFC

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Maybe not prime minister lewman, always thought of joey as more the shrewd economist so maybe chancellor of the exchequer for now anyways lol!

@GS, it was very strange wasn’it how players could dip in form so much over the course of a month or two? barry was a disgrace with some of his performances, rooney not much better. couldn’t agree with the selctions either but thats opening up a huge can of worms!!

had to laugh when saw him in this, talk about not doing your rep any favors!!

• JSYproject

Jul 20, 2010 at 6:06 PM

100% respect to ed for the articles and the opportunity to voice my otherwise irrelevant opinion.

and i would love to see joey discover his man city form, he COULD be our best player this time next season…