Gosling Signs For Newcastle – It’s A Brilliant Move For Me

Newcastle United have reported they have finally completed the signing of former Everton midfielder Dan Gosling.

Dan Gosling – it’s a brilliant move for me

We had mentioned this morning that Sky Sports had said the deal would be tied up within 24 hours, and the Newcastle club have completed a phenomenal signing.

Gosling, 20, has signed a four-year contract at St James’ Park to become the second new signing this summer following the reeling in of James Perch from Nottingham Forest.

Gosling to his new club’s official website.

“It’s a brilliant move for me. Now that the deal is done I just can’t wait to get started,””I’ve played at St James’ Park before and know all about the amazing atmosphere.”

“Playing there in a black and white shirt is something I’ve thought about already and it will be a great day when I finally get to walk out in front of 50,000 people.”

“The gaffer Chris Hughton and all of the lads have been great with me and made me feel really welcome since I arrived and hopefully I can repay the faith that they’ve shown in me.”

Terrific comments from Dan, and he the type of emotional player that the crowd could well lift into some great performances for the Tyneside club.

And it looks like kevin Nolan and company have already ensured that Dan is made welcome at the club – and if this is player power – we are all for it!

Written from King’s College, London University.

• tobes

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Great signing. Very happy. Hughton is doing an excellent job. Good to have a core group of English players and some youth and enthusiasm.

• Mr Books

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Very good news. When he’s fit he should be good long term competition for Guthrie and Barton. Probably good cover on the right as well, which means Guthrie shouldn’t have to move out of the middle if Routledge is unavailable. He can play right back as well if needed.

• Speed80

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Great news, Hughton is building a good squad with a good mix of youth and exper’, alot of the players have somethng to prove so we should see a team thats hungry for it! Who’s going to score all the goals for us? How many can Big Andy get in the prem?

• edwards1981

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Good signing and good player. How is Hughton going to keep 5 central midfielders happy though when all will expect to be playing regularly. Barton, Smith, Nolan, Guthrie and Gosling?

• JSYproject

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:25 PM

didnt know he could play right back, shame he cant do a job on the left were crying out for a left back.

• MacToon

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Good signing although he cannot play, well not until December atleast. 😉

Ashley has an eye for a bargain eh, Jonas (even though he had to pay extra after an appeal) now Gosling, we still need to strengthen so no resting and get the job done CH. So far so so…. lol

• WesJameson

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:28 PM

wow, we have an abundance of centre midfielders, who is gonna leave? Smudge?

• MacToon

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Hope so Wes

• Milzzy Rascal

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Personally I wouldn’t be getting rid of Smith (cue a lashback!) I think people now need to accept him for what he his – a defensive midfielder who will never score again!!

He does however have the personality we need at the moment and was part of the core group of players who pulled together when we were up diahorrea creek without a paddle. We need these fighters in the dressing room. I’d rather have a million Smudgers than Michael Owen.

On Gosling fantastic work by Hughton again and dare I say it Ashley…… Spine tingling.

• Milzzy Rascal

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:40 PM

That should be than one Michael Owen

• Flop

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Happy to finally see him on the official site. Good luck to him, another good young English player at the club. I hope there are a couple more to come in, SSN are reporting Ben Arfa has been offered to us, Liverpool and Everton.

• MacToon

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Lol £65k/week for personality!

Smith’s tackling is bad-timed and we WILL be punished in the prem with free-kicks against us around the penalty area.

• JSYproject

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:53 PM

yes millsy but given the option id rather have neither. simply not gonna cut it in the premiership and when he does play ahead of guthrie, vuckic and now gosling he will only be stallin their progression

• Milzzy Rascal

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:58 PM

I’m not saying that he’d be in my first team at all and I agree 65k is ridculous but by the same token that’s what he got offered by fat sham and the club.

All I’m saying is there is key players in and around the team now that we need to build foundations upon. Harper, Nolan, Smith (Butt last season) etc we should be keeping these players around the place until we’re established in the prem again, to pass on knowledge and experience to fire things up when needed and calm them down if necessary.

I’m not saying Smith justifies 65k a week cos that’s lunacy but how about we learn to walk again by having some stability before we start to run.

• MacToon

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:03 PM

I hear what you say Milzzy but I’m not just worried about the likes of Chelsea, Manu U etc scoring from free-kicks it’s the poorer teams in the league who play for opportunities from set plays, whether it’s from throw ins, corners or freekicks.

We need to stop them getting any opportunities like that also once Smith gets a yellow card he’ll need to come off because more than likely he’ll see red. The prem isn’t as forgiving as the CCC where hard tackling (refreshingly) is the norm, we’ll get punished.

I’m sorry but my opinion is he’s a liability.

• eltoro

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:05 PM

We relied on Smith as the holding midfielder even in the championship to keep things tight, so at times we will definitely opt for him in the more defensive role. I don’t think anyone would be able to buy him given his wages and I don’t think anyone within the club wants him to leave.

Forget the wages and accept that he is a useful player and respected member of the dressing room.

• JSYproject

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:14 PM

‘Forget the wages and accept that he is a USELESS player and respected member of the dressing room.’

only thing we can do till his contract runs out.

• baro

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:16 PM

What a excellent young signing. Definitely one for the future. Chris Hughton has done a wonderful job taking his time in the transfer market. That is the only way we could of snapped up this young lad. But, we now have like 5-6 CM”s. 🙂

• Milzzy Rascal

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Likewise Mac I know exactly what you’re saying. Smudge dives in like a striker when he shouldn’t and you’re right when you say we have to stifle those opportunities.

Like I say I’m not saying he’s ahead of Barton/Nolan/Guthrie because he’s not what I am saying is you’ve got a bloke that obviously cares about the club, that’s a key supporter of Hughton and respected by the other players. We’ve got a strong togetherness now for the first time in a long time and I don’t want to break that by shipping key figures. I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree mate. Good debate though!

• Captain Beefheart

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Smith could well be a hero this season. He has Prem nous despite his lack of pace. When we need to grind out results away from home, he’s yer man…

• eltoro

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Smith will probably only deserve his place in the side against Stoke and Blackburn away. Perhaps he will play only a peripheral role like Butt this season, but this relies on Barton’s fitness in particular.

• Ericles

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Really do hope we will get another couple of pacy wingers as back-up. What is the striker situation?

• Flair: 20

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:53 PM

My priorities would be a left-back and a winger. Only then would I worry about getting another striker or centre-back.

• Colombus

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:25 PM

We need a quality striker around Carroll and my choice would be the man that was “fake-linked” with us yesterday, Morimoto. De Guzman would also be brilliant on a free transfer.

In: De Guzman and Morimoto!! 😉 cost : I’d say 6 mill.

• MacToon

Jul 22, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Milzzy, yep agreed 🙂

eltoro, Smith unfortunately will never be a battling Batty. For some reason he’s lost alot of his footballing abilities, no pace and doesn’t read the game well.

JSY, Idd useless so plz use less……..

• baro

Jul 22, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Colombus

Those 2 De Guzman and Morimoto would be brilliant and absolutely fabulous. Gaurantee top half of Premier League.

• G-Man

Jul 22, 2010 at 11:53 PM

Hughton say’s Gosling is a box to box player, but his best position is right back, hope he get’s a game their…….

• Bucks mag

Jul 23, 2010 at 3:41 AM

Guthrie vs. Gosling – both young English ball playing centre midfielders. Almost identical. Should be a good battle.