Shearer – Hughton Deserves Great Credit And I’m Optimistic

Alan Shearer of course is a class act, and today he has again sung the praises of  the manager who took over from him last year – Chris Hughton.

Alan Shearer – class act

Shearer today re-iterated his praise for Chris Hughton:

“They had a tremendous season last year. Chris (Hughton) had a great season and deserves great credit.”

“It’s a huge and different challenge for the team next season, but I’m optimistic.” “It’s a tough start, but if there’s a good time to play Man United, then this is it.”

Of course this is the Newcastle fan Alan Shearer talking, and he is just as delighted as the rest of us that Newcastle came straight back up.

When you are born and bred in Newcastle, you become a Newcastle United fan – probably whether you want to be or not.

It’s ingrained into you at birth it seems, and whether you now live 3,000 miles or whatever away from Newcastle, you are always a Newcastle United fan.

What’s that about until death do us part?

Howay The Lads!!

Written from Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.

• murvar

Jul 23, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Good to know that you are back amongst us, Ed. I’d buy you a pint if I knew where to find you….

• shearerbliss

Jul 23, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Welcome Home ED!

• Shearer

Jul 23, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Welcome back tooo the toon ED 😀

• toonfin

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:02 PM

y on earth have we let bramble sign for the mackems………….he should stil b a toon player….

naaatttttt hahahahahahahahaah how must they feel after all the years of calling him

• Thump

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:28 PM

@toonfin: why on earth would we let Bramble sign for the Toon?

• Robby Bobson

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Since when has there been a No.9 in the Sir JH Stand???!!!!!!

• Robby Bobson

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Dont matter ignore what i just said. The picture I was looking at has clearly been photoshopped.

• Captain Beefheart

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:42 PM

RB@6&7

There was frequently a no 9 in the SJH stand, when Shearer was injured or suspended…

• Shearer

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:43 PM

@Toonfin
    haha 😀 Roll on 31 October 😀

• Phil K

Jul 23, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Beefy – thing with Shearer, unlike many of the others, when he was injured, he WAS injured.
    Too many of the others there were many question marks about. I always founf Owen’s earlt return from injury when England selection was up for grabs suspicious. Dyer’s non-stop injuries have continued at WHU, and seemingly less suspicious there than here.

• Robby Bobson

Jul 23, 2010 at 5:48 PM

thats what i was on about. But its picture from Shearers testimonial i think with picture of carroll placed in front.

Dam it, i got exited that we had actually brightened up the dull grey seats!

• Thump

Jul 23, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Aye Robby, you’re spot in.

• MickyD

Jul 23, 2010 at 7:57 PM

danny welbeck on the verge of completing move to newcastle

• rknufc

Jul 23, 2010 at 8:26 PM

i think that newcastle should sign marlon harewood as he is now a free agent and his goalscoring record was great when he was on loan with us 5 goals in 15 games 🙂

• deeza

Jul 23, 2010 at 8:28 PM

hope he doesnt come

• Shot Bru

Jul 23, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Suppose Welbeck would be good cover for Caroll, who is always liable to get injured throughout the season.

• Sgt. Heagerty

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Sorry aint been on lately lads. As most of yall know im being medically retired from the army in america from wounds suffered in iraq. So they have been keeping me busy getting their moneys worth of me before they let me loose. I still am coming to tyneside this year for the first time. Anybody wanna give me the best pub for a newcastle fan to have a pint when i get there. Good summer so far need a few more soldiers though…

hwtl

• jackdnufc

Jul 24, 2010 at 1:23 AM

Plenty of good boozers when you get here Sgt. Heagerty. I know you’ll love it here on Tyneside and want to come back!

I’m sure there’s plenty of other pubs that people will recommend on here and when you arrive but the most out and out Newcastle pub is “The Strawberry” right next to the Gallowgate end. It is all (and I mean all) about Newcastle United, has good beer and is a Toon landmark. I think it’s a listed building but can’t promise you that (I heard it was one of the reasons why we struggled to get planning permission to extend the Gallowgate but, again, don’t quote me on that one) You’d be a fool not to visit it basically! If you go on a match day, though, get there early!!

I tend to go to “The Forth”, which is near central station, before and after games to drink. A bit more expensive than per usual but is a great pub, again with very good drink and atmosphere. It’s a personal favourite, normally pop there for a pint when in town.

The “Newcastle Arms” is the final place I will recommend which is a classic pub which is highly acclaimed in the local area, yet has maintained good prices. Very close, not quite “Strawberry” close, to St. James Park. It’s on Stowell Street in Chinatown, whose Chinese gate you cannot miss in the City Centre (opposite the Gallowgate). Good, proper drink at good prices and great, again, for a proper Toon atmosphere and matchday build up! Those three I’d recommend for none chain pubs and real ale/beer.

Like I say many more that people will advise but those are my top three. You’re sure to get a warm welcome anywhere once people know your a magpie at heart!

Bare in mind that St. James’ is literally in the city centre and is the vocal point of the Geordie Nation. Therefore it is surrounded by bars and pubs! If you’re going to go to one though, nobody on here will tell you on here not to go to “The Strawberry” at least once for the simple reason it is all about Newcastle United!

Hope that helps!

HWTL!!

• MacToon

Jul 24, 2010 at 3:18 AM

Sgt. Heagerty, jackdnufc missed the obvious, Shearer’s bar which is on the side of SJP so you can’t miss it, not really a good bar in town but as a visiting fan it’s not to be missed.

As for jackdnufc’s suggestions, been to 2 of them tonight…. lol …. Newcastle Arms before we had some grub on Stowell str. (China Town) It’s a real “old” style bar with some good ales on tap 🙂 Gone are the days (unfortunately) when you’d catch KK and Terry Mac in there having a swift beer before hitting the snooker club around the corner.
    The other, The Forth on pink lane lol, good bar taken over by students … but still a good bar.
    Basically if you like a drink you’ll have a canny few bars to choose from in town, depends what you’re looking for. I prefer the older bars to the trendy ones but that’s just me.

• Tom Mo.

Jul 24, 2010 at 4:22 AM

Just watched yannick Djalo against man city in NY. He looked brilliant. we need to sign this guy. 2-0 sporting (both scored by djalo)

• jackdnufc

Jul 24, 2010 at 9:34 AM

MacToon, Shearer’s bar is an obvious one but left it out cause it’s not that good for drinking, like you say! You’re right though, a visiting fan should not (can’t) miss it. The Forth taken over by students, eh?! Well, fair play, I am a student so I guess that’s why I probably like it so much 🙂 Funny that you were at a couple that I mentioned though, lol; when I was writing them down last night I was getting rather thirsty.

• MacToon

Jul 24, 2010 at 10:13 AM

jackdnufc, yes mate weird 🙂 got a bad head though 🙁 , no offence to students btw 😉