James Tavernier Impresses Hughton With Good Performance

It seems Newcastle manager Chris Hughton was very pleased with the solid performance of  18 year-old Bradford-born James Tavernier yesterday, in the heart of Newcastle’s defense.

James Tavernier – good game yesterday

Hughton was obviously keen to avoid any more injuries to his senior central defenders, and he put the 18 year-old there for the full 90 minutes yesterday – and James took his chance to shine.

Chris said today:.

“I thought James did very well, especially considering he’s a player who plays most of his football at right-back,”

“Without Steven Taylor and James Perch, who picked up a slight knock on Thursday, we were a bit light at the back so I had to ask him to play the 90 minutes.”

It’ good that James took his chance, and of course when he made his first team debut at Peterborough last year, he was Newcastle’s best player, and we think this lad has a bright future ahead of  him at the Newcastle club.

Written from Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.

• Toon1978

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:41 AM

I watched Tavernier play for the reserves against Aston Villa at right back and he was AWFUL to say the least but i have not seen him play CB. Hopefully his is ten times better there lol.

• davybtoon

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:47 AM

I disagree coz I saw him play rb against man city reserves n he had martin petrov in his bk pocket very good player

• Toon1978

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Just telling you what i saw davybtoon. He had a bad game against Villa reserves and this was only i few months ago. I’m glad somebody has seen him have a good game lol 😉

• eltoro

Jul 25, 2010 at 12:53 PM

He looked good in the U18 side’s cup run. He’s a good attacking full back and not someone I’d expect to adapt to centre half.

• henok ethiopian toon

Jul 25, 2010 at 1:56 PM

good player but criticized for his lack of concentration …he actually messed up a lot of games not only villa one …i would rater have Calum Morris and Filip Cave back..i have always criticized our youth coaches..look our list of players we released since sir boby left..like 100

• Howay The Lads

Jul 25, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Toon1978, are you kidding me?

He was by far the best player on the pitch in that game

• Toon1978

Jul 25, 2010 at 2:53 PM

htl

haha u must be kidding mate, he was terrible. Conner Newton was the best player on the pitch until Vuckic came on in the 2nd half.

• Toon_Daft

Jul 25, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Villa weren’t in our rserve last year so I find it hard to agree Toon1978.

I myself, went to every home reserve and youth cup game last season and when Jimmy Tavernier played, he was a solid player, never does anything out of the ordinary but never makes mistakes.

• Toon1978

Jul 25, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Toon_Daft

I’m sorry i haven’t made it clearer. It was the Semi final second leg at SJP . We were beaten 1-0 but were far the better side. It was the F.A. youth cup. I’m sure you can remember back only a few months or so surely hehehe:)

• Toon1978

Jul 25, 2010 at 3:12 PM

It was Tavernier’s fault for their goal!!!!!

• chuck

Jul 25, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Hmmm !
    Interesting discussion as to the quality of our youngsters.
    Might make some interestin reading, a blog on who`s who ?
    Plus, a what happened to our former youth who have been either sold on or let go ?
    Seems there`s a number of commenters who are regulars at youth level games, who have definate opinions but may not neccessarily agree.

• baro

Jul 25, 2010 at 4:13 PM

There is a big future ahead of him he is still only 18.

• Toon1978

Jul 25, 2010 at 4:56 PM

baro

I have only seen him on a few occasions so i may be being a little harsh. I do really hope to see him break into the first team and make a position his own.

• eltoro

Jul 25, 2010 at 5:19 PM

I was at the away leg against Villa and Tavernier looked alright. We were by far the better team especially first half and I came away excited about that crop of players. The midfield three played really well together with Newton standing out as calmest in possession and Airey looked lively.

Samuel Adjei didn’t impress me, missed a sitter and made a complete airshot. I think he would be playing in these friendlies as he’s a left winger but he has had a groin operation. I’m reserving judgement on him.

• Toonarmy1993

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:54 PM

from what ive seen of him, he has put in better performances for the reserves than that of the under 18’s, maybe he feels more comfortable with the more senior players