Can Xisco Make It Big At Newcastle?

24 year-old Newcastle striker Xisco says he certainly hasn’t given up on making his career at Newcastle United a success .

Xisco – wants to be a success at Newcastle

But before we all get carried away , we have to say that this lad is very positive and is always looking on the bright side – which is good.

But whether he can make it at the Newcastle club with Carroll, Lovenkrands an Ameobi at least, ahead of him in the pecking order on Tyneside – we don’t know.

The Spaniard arrived at St James’ Park on 1st September, 2008 without the knowledge or approval of then manager Kevin Keegan, and that resulted in an explosion at Newcastle, which saw Kevin leave the club – probably for the last time.

He was at Racing Santander last season and did OK, and certainly his current boss Chris Hughton is very willing to give the lad every chance to succeed at Newcastle – and why not?

He is also reported to be getting over £50K/week – which is a high wage given his contributions to the Tyneside club so far.

Xisco said today:

“I’m happy to be back – I’ve got three years on my contract here and I’m looking forward to them.” “When I came to Newcastle United it was a big opportunity for me in my career,”

“Last season I was on loan in Spain because I needed to go back home for a year because of what was happening here (in Newcastle).”

“Now I’m back and happy. I’m very hopeful of staying at Newcastle and helping the team do whatever I can.”

Good words from Xisco, who played on the right side of midfield last Saturday, but still managed to set up Shola  Ameobi for a goal that Shola dispatched with aplomb.

But the news is that the lad is just a model professional and he’ll play anywhere to get a game – and earn his wages – and again it shows his positive attitude.

Xisco continued:

“If I have to play in other positions for the team, then I will. If the manager wants me to play on the left or the right, I can.”

“All you have to do is do the best for the team.”

Again the lad is not a bad player, and we’d love to see him be  a success at the club – but whether he can be in reality is much more difficult to forecast.

• aguero10

Jul 27, 2010 at 6:46 PM

More like he’s happy to do nothing and pick up his over inflated pay packet for three years.

• MacToon

Jul 27, 2010 at 6:55 PM

” a model professional ” well a step up from pretending to be injured to get a move away.

Good luck to him though, I hope he plays well in black n white.

• GeordieDan

Jul 27, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Exactly, he might well be acting the model professional now but what other choice does he have?

Did anyone honestly think he’d come back and say “I’m really annoyed and fed up to be back here but I had no choice as I only scored 3 goals all season in an easy league for the team I was loaned to so they know I’m rubbish and won’t give me a permanent contract”

“Guess I’ll have to just make do with the £50,000 a week you fools are paying me”

What a shame eh! It’s like every single one of us giving him a quid each time we make our pilgrimage to watch our team.

I hope he proves us all wrong but my opinion so far is that he stinks of a typical mercenary that has been told exactly what to say to us via the media to bide him some time.

• GeordieDan

Jul 27, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Or perhaps he’ll fake another injury and we’ll never have the pleasure of hearing from him again?

Answers on a postcard……

• Toonarmy1993

Jul 27, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Xisco is not on £50,000-a-week, theres no chance he is, just let him get on with playing football, you never know he could turn out to be decent, he did score on his debut

• GeordieDan

Jul 27, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Did u see how bad he was in that game? My granny could have scored that goal, whilst juggling, blindfolded.

And, yes he is on £50,000 a week. We bought him for £5.7million! For god’s sake we had Geremi on more a week than that. Why are you so surprised? We’ve thrown money at overrated clowns for years.

• chuck

Jul 27, 2010 at 7:25 PM

It`s not as if you guy`s were personally paying his wages, so lighten up, you only pay for your seat.
    Kid was a Spanish u21, perhaps if given an opportunity he may turn out decent, but to jump all over the guy and harp on about the lads wages shows a mean spirited attitude.

• GeordieDan

Jul 27, 2010 at 7:31 PM

The kid might turn out to be a world beater and honestly nobody would be happier than me if he did.

But thus far the only impression he has made is when he spat his dummy out and faked an injury-while earning his ridiculous wages.

Not a mean spirited attitude, simply a justified response to a player blatantly taking the piss. Once he justifies the money our club pays him by actually doing something on the pitch and not just talking I’ll judge him on merit, but not until then.

• howay man

Jul 27, 2010 at 8:04 PM

give xisco a chance lets just wait till the PSV game and see what he can do, we all know the premier league is very hard to adapt to remember when Jose enrique first came, he was a complete and utter shambles his first season and we spent a canny bit on him aswell, but look at him now, probably our best player. give xisco a chance!

• chuck

Jul 27, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Geordie Dan
    Faking injuries ? do you really know any more than any of us what his physical condition was ?
    Have no idea what you mean about blatantly taking the piss and spitting out dummies
    Face It the guy was never given an opportunity to prove his worth.
    So now he`s back, can we give him that opportunity or do we get on his case because someone decided at another time he was worth £50k per week ?
    What are you looking for your pound of flesh here ?

• MacToon

Jul 27, 2010 at 8:34 PM

chuck, he was quoted as saying he faked an injury so it’s not just hearsay (don’t ask for a link cos I carn’t be arshed 🙂 )
    His wage is pretty important too because for 50k a week you’d like some return and it’s alot of money for us considering our owner but hey if he’s in black and white I’ll certainly give him a chance, something I don’t think he’s had here yet.

• baro

Jul 27, 2010 at 10:06 PM

I think CH will give him another chance this year. Let’s see if he could shine. If he fails again than he can get out of here!

• Toonarmy1993

Jul 27, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Geordie Dan – he isnt on 50K a week, end of.

• Obafan

Jul 27, 2010 at 10:25 PM

I hope he will play a vital role this year by scoring important goals. I’ll give him a chance just like CH will do.

On the other hand I’ve never understood why they signed him and why they (it already was Ashley) paid so much for him. If you see how they count the coins now before buying a player.

My rang for the current strikers is:
    1. Lovenkrands
    2. Ameobi
    3. Carroll (I know the most here believe he will be the new sensational n°9, but I can’t see this happen (no pace – no technique and I don’t know if his passion will be enough to be a success at the club).
    4. Ranger (hope he gets a chance or that he will be loaned)
    5. Best (just as for Xisco I hope he will surprise us by banging in a number of important goals).
    6. Xisco

• kikgras

Jul 27, 2010 at 10:26 PM

club has nothing to lose at this point. he’s on the books for what he makes, done and dusted. besides, for every player a club misses on, they do hit a on a few. look at this way, if Xisco turns the page and makes even himself forget the past 2 seasons, then I’d assume we’d take that.

• PapaToon

Jul 28, 2010 at 2:03 AM

Xisco does need to be given a chance, he came in the most bizarre circumstances, where the coach didnt like him and then the club was up for sale and the coach left. Its not the best environtment for a new signing, he probably saw a sinking ship and jumped. Ameobi has been given oppurtunities then why not him?
    if he still whinges about the club dont let the marcelino episode happen and toss him out

• Azrail Malaysia

Jul 28, 2010 at 4:00 AM

Only good as squad players… the best he can be is 4th choice striker after Carroll, Ameobi & Lovenkrands. But CH should give him chance, as subs.. who knows, maybe super sub???

• Doha Mag

Jul 28, 2010 at 5:12 AM

He’s not a 50k per week player but if that’s his contract, shame on us.

We need to give the boy a chance and last season in the fizzy was the place to see how good he was and get himself setled into the English game.

I’ll support him and give him a chance but I have my doubts…..

• xfer

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:06 AM

He has got what it takes to be a decent striker for the team. Im sure he will be able to contribute one way or the other.

• Whumpie

Jul 28, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Those saying he wasn’t given a chance seem to forget that the match on a Saturday may be all we see – but it’s just the tip of the iceberg for the team and CH.

Xisco was given the same chance as anyone in the squad. From what I remember, he refused to play in the reserves and the overall impression was of a spoiled brat who came for the money then didn’t like what he had to do to earn it.

Perhaps with a much-improved set-up, some stability and some team spirit he may turn around. But he’ll have to earn his chances in training like everyone else.

• balubas1

Jul 28, 2010 at 10:49 AM

stop beating him up… if he is on 50k a week, it is too much.. but do you blame him? he made a good deal as he came.. he prob also thought he would be a starting player.

socially he is prob doing fine bcause of the other spanish speaking players in the squad.

any1 know if he did well for the spanish u21 side? any player who gets in there must have some ability.

• steve1980

Jul 28, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Rumours i have heard suggest Xisco had problems fitting in due to his sexuality, which didn’t go down with certain fellow players. How true this is i don’t know. That aside, the lad was never given that much of chance – he was behind Owen, Viduka, Martins, Ameobi, Carroll & Lovenkrands in the pecking order. He was surely sent out on loan as an expendable player to take one players wages off the books. I just haven’t seen enough of him to know how good or how bad he really is. He deserves a chance, but i think he even we don’t buy another striker, he’ll be used in Cup games, the odd sub appearence, nothing more. I’d not play him over Shola, the ‘Krands or big Andy, but certainly over Best, who may be ironically enough given his name one of the very worst forwards i’ve seen in a Toon shirt. And yes, i remember Luque!

• davis_toons

Jul 28, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Yes, Torres is have a bad patch now too.

• davis_toons

Jul 28, 2010 at 10:41 PM

btw, Luque was not too bad as a player on a whole.

But one thing might be right Best was not EPL class

• alder09

Jul 29, 2010 at 2:44 AM

Xisco probably is on £50k a week
    but its not his fault the nuggets upstairs offered that, and even though he was on loan last season newcastle still payed 80% of his wage, it was confirmed by SkySports and Racing for the simple fact, Racing could not afford the full wages.
    he scored 39 in 53 for Deportivo B and 12 in 44 for the senior team, not bad going when he was only 17-21.
    i think this lad is all about confidence, just like most players, he wants a club that wants him there, not a club that doesnt let him train with the senior players, or a club that tells him he wont be playing for them again that season.
    my pecking order for next season:

1. Carroll (dont really rate him, far too young for No9 shirt and hasnt really shown the ability to wear it, a decent season in the fizzy pop league)

2. Loven (only comes as No2 because most likely Hughton will play the standard 4-4-2 with a Big and Little partnership upfront)

3. Ameobi (crap record, but seems to hold the ball up well occasionally in prem)

4. Xisco (Ranger will go on loan hopefully and Best is Worst at best)

would love to seee a 4-2-3-1 next season though 😀