Hughton Dismisses Benalouane, Ben Arfa And Other Rumors


Now that Chris Hughton has brought in three new players so far this summer, two free agents and James Perch for a small transfer fee, he will be wanting to add to that total.

Chris Hughton – dismisses transfer rumors

But Chris has played down reports, including ours this morning, that the club is after St Etienne defender Yohan Benalouane and Olympique Marseilles midfielder Ben Arfa.

That’s interesting because those rumors originated in this morning’s Journal, and the Journal said that Chris was denying it, but they thought at least the Ben Arfa deal was being negotiated.

Chris told the Evening Chronicle today:

“With Sol coming in, the focus is unlikely to be on a central defender now.”

“There’s nothing in Benalouane. Ben Arfa is a name that has come up more than anybody recently. It’s a name we know but it’s unlikely.”

And other transfer news, regarding Chelsea’s impressive Dutch left-back Patrick van Aanholt, is not in the offing either, as Chris continued:

“He did really well for us last season but we’re not looking into that one.”

But Chris can be cagey about some things too, and of the three we think the best chance is that Newcastle may indeed be pursuing Ben Arfa, but Chris is hardly going to come out and say much about that – is he?

The Newcastle manager has been successful with three bids so far this summer, so the way he is conducting his transfer business is just fine with us.

Comments welcome.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

26 comments so far

  • roe997

    Jul 28, 2010 at 2:45 PM

    Comment #1

    ch is going about bussiness perfectly to himself,stoping prices for players going ott.which in my mind is the best way.holding the cards to his chest. I hate the way spud’s harry goes about things,think it was egg on his face with the joe cole afair.fool.

    0
  • Ericles

    Jul 28, 2010 at 2:46 PM

    Comment #2

    One cannot believe the media rumours. It is as simple as that. I do believe that CH will bring in about 3 more players soon – none of whom (according to CH) are defenders. So what are the options? CH knows and all we fans know is that what the media prints is not who will be wearing a black and white shirt next season. Simple! As Sherlock Holmes says – rule out the impossible and we will eventually have the truth no matter how improbable. Even though the fictional Dr Watson was in the Northumberland Fusiliers he does not know either. We have some surprises coming methinks and I have my suspicions we will be pleased with who CH brings in eventually.

    0
  • howay man

    Jul 28, 2010 at 2:46 PM

    Comment #3

    well there may be a chance of ben arfa but I think the answer now lies in what City want to get rid off

    0
  • howay man

    Jul 28, 2010 at 2:50 PM

    Comment #4

    ericles howay then who are your suspicions about who will come, keane? Ireland? Weiss?

    0
  • toonarmy1986

    Jul 28, 2010 at 2:56 PM

    Comment #5

    It’s good to see Hughton been honest with his transfer dealings instead of letting these rumours get out of hand which then gives the media no material to go on and make stories up like they have in the past. Pleased with the signings so far and I would like to see us add a few quality players from Man City like Micah Richards, Stephen Ireland and maybe even Bellamy again. Yes we might not sign these players as there will be competition but they are available so it might be our best chance to add some really quality on the cheap.

    0
  • Ericles

    Jul 28, 2010 at 3:10 PM

    Comment #6

    Howay man. I think you may be right about Man City unloading some. I reckon there are a more than a few of us who would like to see Weiss at NUFC. I do not know much about Ireland but old Bellamy may be worth bringing back. He could gel quite well as foil to Carroll. Same could be said for Keane. CH does seem to be playing a waiting game and am not worried about things so much now about our prospects next season. Got a funny idea Toon are going to leave a few red faces at grounds in the EPL!

    0
  • mattnufc

    Jul 28, 2010 at 3:15 PM

    Comment #7

    Glad we’re not going for PVA. He had a great attitude and was good going forward, but was shaky at the back in the Championship, let alone the Premier League.

    Still think we need a RB, though. And a winger, striker and creative CM.

    0
  • Obafan

    Jul 28, 2010 at 3:25 PM

    Comment #8

    Is there any news of Raul??? I think he would be perfect to play for us.

    0
  • NUFC_Richyg01

    Jul 28, 2010 at 3:39 PM

    Comment #9

    CH dismissed Raul too!

    I dont think we want Keane, besides, he spends more time injured than playing.

    We can only really afford to pay for players who are going to be either playing or available 70% of the season, especially with the new ruling on the 25 man squads!

    0
  • baro

    Jul 28, 2010 at 3:44 PM

    Comment #10

    If not Ben Arfa, than CH needs to hurry up and get a dangerous attacking footballer to the toon. We really need more attacking threats.

    0
  • NUFC_Richyg01

    Jul 28, 2010 at 3:45 PM

    Comment #11

    If not Van Aanholt from Chelsea what about Kakuta??

    0
  • Doha Mag

    Jul 28, 2010 at 3:45 PM

    Comment #12

    Two loan signings; any two from Van Aanold, Knighton, Weiss or Cleverley; plus one signing; i.e. a striking partner for Carroll….

    0
  • NUFC_Richyg01

    Jul 28, 2010 at 3:51 PM

    Comment #13

    @ Doha Mag (12)

    Van Aanholt aint coming.

    Cleverly wont be coming either, manure want him to be guaranteed first team football.

    0
  • lesh

    Jul 28, 2010 at 4:14 PM

    Comment #14

    Ericles et al….

    Agreed that there’ll be a couple of surprise incomers but whether the surprises will be shrieks of delight or groans of disappointment is something that only time will tell.

    We know that Hughton’s canny in his media utterings so we’ll just have to wait and see I guess.

    There’s clamour for another striker but if MA’s keen (and right) to manage the spend and outgoings and it should be borne in mind that Xisco’s back on the scene and he’s billed as a striker!

    I guess what’ll happen is that MA’ll not sanction a striker at the moment but will wait ’til Christmas to see whether we really do need another.

    Ho hum.

    0
  • lewman

    Jul 28, 2010 at 4:15 PM

    Comment #15

    who is knighton?
    is he related to michael knighton the guy who tried to buy man u

    0
  • jesus was a geordie

    Jul 28, 2010 at 4:52 PM

    Comment #16

    Raul has gone to Shalke, it was all over ssn earlier today!

    0
  • lesh

    Jul 28, 2010 at 4:57 PM

    Comment #17

    Lewman@15….. Michael Knighton also owned Carlisle United for a while and also had an experience with UFOs….. he said!

    Could the Knighton be the one and only Ken Knighton who managed Blunderland for a while… I think?

    0
  • GeordieTartanArmy

    Jul 28, 2010 at 5:03 PM

    Comment #18

    @ toonarmy man city want 15 mill for richards and if two or more teams go in for him then the price will be around this mark but I agree on raiding Man City who have 13 players more than allowed so I would say Ireland defonitely, maybe bellamy but he wont come, possibly veiss and defonitely kompany

    0
  • tjshawsey

    Jul 28, 2010 at 5:08 PM

    Comment #19

    He said Ben arfa was unlikely, but he didn’t rule it out. I still think the free Market was the way forward, and I think we missed a trick with some players (de guzman etc), then we could of splashed the cash on a striker. Still, if we can raid a few fire sales and be shrewed with are money, we will be fine.

    0
  • lewman

    Jul 28, 2010 at 5:15 PM

    Comment #20

    @lesh
    its a youngster i think that doha mag mentioned @12. not got the foggiest to who he is, maybe we are just being stupid and he is the next ronaldo mixed with xavi and maradonna.

    0
  • moonraker

    Jul 28, 2010 at 7:48 PM

    Comment #21

    We should definitely be able to benefit from the Man city fiasco. They’re gonna have to pay some of the surplus players wages and loan them out, as it would be too embarassing for them to let the players sit in the stand. Imagine the fans reaction when they lose with all those players sitting in the stand 🙂

    0
  • Colombus

    Jul 28, 2010 at 8:05 PM

    Comment #22

    Has de guzman gone anywhere? It seems like a lot of readers say that we have lost our chance….

    0
  • kikgras

    Jul 28, 2010 at 9:36 PM

    Comment #23

    go off the grid a bit…Michael Bradley…great WC and nice season for Borussia last year…lives to play the game…call me crazy, but I think the US coahces son could do well int he black and white!!!

    yeah, ok, I’m from the states…but I love the Toon and I’d love to see Bradley atr NUFC!!!

    0
  • webbo

    Jul 28, 2010 at 10:42 PM

    Comment #24

    Wot about felipe caceido of citeh strong,fast and a wicked shot get him for a mil and weiss on loan plus ben arfa on loan.honestly think they will turn us into a good prem team then build from there????

    0
  • Shearer

    Jul 29, 2010 at 7:27 AM

    Comment #25

    @Kikgras

    I’m not from the USA and I’d love it if he came but not atm we need to be looking at a creative attacking mid and striker 🙂

    0
  • aisportsreviews

    Jul 29, 2010 at 9:32 AM

    Comment #26

    Although I do like the way CH is going about the limited budget and isn’t complaining unlike the bulk of the premier league managers, I do have to stress that if we want to stay up this season and build a good, solid foundation in which future stars can thrive upon to bring back some of the great successes of past years, we need to make good quality signings. I’ve been a Geordie my entire life and what has annoyed me the most is the fact that there are so many great options out there in every transfer period and we always go for the worst one! Don’t get me wrong, I loved the signings of Nolan, Enrique, Gutierrez, and the fact that we tied Steven Taylor to a new contract but this summer, we actually have a decent chance of not settling for little and getting quality young stars like Ben Arfa for absolutely nothing! First things first, we absolutely need a quality striker who can give us at least 10 a season. I don’t get why we don’t start by getting James Beattie from Stoke? Although he isn’t the youngest, but he proved that when on form he can notch in a decent tally. So in my opinion getting a striker to partner Carroll/Lovenkrands! I mean, if we are going to be starting Lovenkrands with Carroll this season, I can guarantee that we’ll relegate once again as the Premier League is a whole different level. So I think as far as strikers go, we should aim to get Beattie from Stoke and Santa Cruz/Jo from Man City and then we would be guaranteed goals.

    We also really do need a creative midfield player, I think we’re OK on the wings and at CB now but a creative midfield player is a must. I think that Steven Ireland from City would be a perfect fit but his price range is far off our mark. I think that if we have to stay on a limited budget (which it seems like we do) we should get either Michael Johnson from City on a bargain of 2 million, or Steve Sidwell from Aston Villa who I value at around 2-5 million.

    Overall, I think these are the players CH should be looking to buy after getting Sol Campbell: Steve Sidwell for 2 or 3 mill, James Beattie for 1.5 mill, Jo for 5 mill, and Luke Young for 2.5 mill if he doesn’t end up signing for Liverpool.

    0

You must log in to post a comment.