The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

James Perch Such A Big Fan Of Joey Barton

11:00 am, Thursday, August 5th, 2010 by Ed Harrison · 65 Comments

James Perch has looked good in pre-season,  both when he’s played at right back – as he did against PSV, and as a central defender as he did at Deportivo on Tuesday night.

James Perch - backing Joey Barton today

We’re hoping James will turn out to be a bargain buy for the Magpies and we’ll know soon enough.

But today the Mansfield-born 24 year-old was singing the praises of team-mate Joey Barton – who we also spotlighted earlier this morning.

James considers Barton’s Spanish showing at Deportivo La Coruna as typical of the man, who seems to have overcome at least some of the demons that plagued him when he was a youngster – anyway we hope that’s the case.

Perch has today backed Joey to produce big time for Newcastle this coming season – and again – we hope that’s the case.

Perch told the Journal this morning:

“That’s Joey all over,” explained the former Nottingham Forest defender.” “He showed immense courage to step up there and blast that one home.”

“Missing a penalty is a horrible thing for anyone, a real killer, but he pushed it to the back of his mind and just did what he does best.”

“Joey will never take a backward step from anything, he will always face up to a challenge, and he showed that again in Deportivo.”

“He’s going to be a vital part of our team this season, we need him to be on top form and he’ll be one of the main men to lead from the front.”  “So it’s a great sign that he shelved the first one and continued to put himself forward.”

“All of us, every player, we all knew that he would put his hand up, and we all knew that he would put the penalty away. He’s got a steely determination that marks him out as a special talent, and he used all of that to take the flak, forget about it and then do something to put it right.”

Newcastle complete their pre-season program of friendlies at Glasgow Rangers on Saturday, with a 1:00 pm KO at Ibrox.

Chris will need to show his hand a little, because it’s likely the starting line-up will be a good guide to who may start against the Red Devils a week come Monday, in our first PL game for 15 months.

Perch continued:

“Joey’s on good form and this will help,” “It would have been frustrating not to get that second chance, and he knew it was important to take it.”“He showed up well in the middle of the park and we’ll need more of that at Rangers if he plays.”

“All that’s left now is to get a good workout and a good performance at Rangers, and finish our pre-season without picking up any injuries.”

We’d like to see Joey start in central midfield with Kevin Nolan, but we’d also be surprised if Chris doesn’t start in a 4-5-1 formation against the Red Devils,  with Kevin playing just behind the lone striker up front – Andy Carroll.

And another central midfielder like Alan Smith or Danny Guthrie should also be in there.

It would be terrific if Newcastle could get a result at Old Trafford, when everybody will be  talking about how many the Manchester United side will beat us by.

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: James Perch · Joey Barton · Newcastle News

65 responses so far ↓

• 1 howay man // Aug 5, 2010 at 11:39 AM

much better performance against deportivo perchy lad

• 2 NUFC_Richyg01 // Aug 5, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Yeah, definately, but needs to cut out the rash challenges in daft positions

• 3 Norwegian_geordie // Aug 5, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Sorry Perch..

Just thought I’d give some info about Moa from Vålerenga. Apparently there are premier league interrest from Blackburn and West Ham. I would hope Newcastle would get in there to snatch the player.
    He’s problably available for 1-1,5 mill. Not a bad price for him, still only 24 years old.

He’s been looking solid over a couple of years now and have 15 goals so far in the Norwegian season.

Here’s an article:

Please CH look across the pond!

• 4 geordielad880 // Aug 5, 2010 at 12:12 PM

I can confirm talks have broken down between newcastle and marseille, newcastle are adamant they will only sign on loan with a view to perm transfer, they are asking for 5.8m which newcastle wont pay, we had agreed terms with hatem aswell, talks arent set to continue, and hughton will pursue other targets, he is set to have talks with west ham today

• 5 Norwegian_geordie // Aug 5, 2010 at 12:18 PM

“geordielad88o”

Is this true?

It’s such a shame if he goes to West Ham. I really had great expectations to him in black and white.

If this is the way, lets hope CH has another one up his sleeve… but time is running out..

• 6 Geordie-Gerrard7 // Aug 5, 2010 at 12:24 PM

And were you here this geordielad? Or are you just making it up trying to sound like your in the know, and also were did you get that the man from the board of FIFA was in toon yesterday?

• 7 geordielad880 // Aug 5, 2010 at 12:57 PM

I dont make stuff, i have used this site for ages, and made thousands of posts, and the only ones i can recall posting in regards to transfers was victor moses, and these two rumours, its the same person that told me moses had broken off talks to sign for wigan, cos we wouldnt up our offer, i made decent money on the exchanged on him signing for wigan :-) i just pass on what i get told, dont see the point in making stuff up,

• 8 geordielad880 // Aug 5, 2010 at 12:58 PM

when we signed routledge, williamson etc, i heard nothing at all from him, so hopefully it aint true, cos i really hope we can pull this deal off

• 9 Toon1978 // Aug 5, 2010 at 1:01 PM

geordielad880

Sounds about right, Ashley does not want to spend money its as simple as that, if we do bring in Arfa i will be gob smacked. Its so simple to see that we need cover for the wings, left back and we need a decent striker to play alongside Carroll but very little is happening.

• 10 NUFC_Richyg01 // Aug 5, 2010 at 1:06 PM

@ Toon1978 (9)

How can you say very little is happening?

We heard nothing with the Perch transfer, that seems to be our new policy on transfers, keep it quiet till its signed, best way in my opinion.

• 11 09nufc09 // Aug 5, 2010 at 1:08 PM

geordielad880 = attention seeker imo

• 12 NUFC_Richyg01 // Aug 5, 2010 at 1:09 PM

@ 09nufc09 (11)

Any who are you exactly??

I dont recall seeing your name on many comments.

• 13 G // Aug 5, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Oh dear, lots of handbags flying around the blog today.

• 14 NUFC_Richyg01 // Aug 5, 2010 at 1:12 PM

@ G (13)

Its just because of the Tits we get on on here

• 15 G // Aug 5, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Nicely put!

• 16 NUFC_Richyg01 // Aug 5, 2010 at 1:17 PM

just copied this from Mags (74) on http://www.nufcblog.com/2010/08/05/newcastle-continue-talks-for-marseilles-ben-arfa/

“According to them at 10.00 a.m. Cleverly HAS NOT signed for Wigan. They did carry on to say they do not know whether he will though.”

• 17 DanNUFC // Aug 5, 2010 at 1:22 PM

someone on .org is claiming that we’ve signed ben arfa for 6 mil and it will be announced by tomorrow at the latest… he says he’s simpson’s cousin

• 18 geordielad880 // Aug 5, 2010 at 1:23 PM

no im not an attention seeker 09nufc09, im a regular poster, and i havent posted rumours in the past, i wont bother passing on info anymore, because posters just slate you for doing it

• 19 NUFC_Richyg01 // Aug 5, 2010 at 1:26 PM

I think everyone is entitled to air what they have heard or read but at the end of the day, the only time it is made correct is when it is posted on the club site, or when the player has moved elsewhere.

I dont see why this blog gets so bloody personal, we are on here to talk about the Toon and are all (meant to be) Toon fans.

• 20 geordielad880 // Aug 5, 2010 at 1:27 PM

i see wellbeck has agreed to go on loan to sunderland, looked poor at preston last season

• 21 NUFC_Richyg01 // Aug 5, 2010 at 1:29 PM

I read that Manure had said to Blackpool that they couldnthave Wellbeck on loan but they could have Owen!

• 22 geordielad880 // Aug 5, 2010 at 1:30 PM

exactly nufc_richygo1, i hate it when people get slagged off or called an idiot or muppet, for having an opinion on signings, or who should be sold or playing, its someone’s opinion, no-one opinion is more right, than someone else’s, its the whole idea of a blog, to discuss newcastle, its great when you get the banter going, without idiots (09nufc09)

• 23 geordielad880 // Aug 5, 2010 at 1:31 PM

wellbeck news

• 24 NUFC_Richyg01 // Aug 5, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Wellbeck has not done too bad for Manure in pre season

• 25 G // Aug 5, 2010 at 1:32 PM

The last time I saw slatings like this was when that numpty who thought he knew who was going to sign, and told everybody we would all ‘be sorry’ was on the blog. What was his name?

• 26 geordielad880 // Aug 5, 2010 at 1:34 PM

thats who i was talking about earlier, couldnt remember his name properly, i got in a right arguement with him till 3 in the morning lol, i thought it was stuart at first, but i keep thinking jay now

• 27 NUFC_Richyg01 // Aug 5, 2010 at 1:36 PM

@ 25 & 26

Cant remember the names, get too many tits on here!

• 28 NUFC_Richyg01 // Aug 5, 2010 at 1:38 PM

I read NewsNow for NUFC and normally there is news popping thru every 10-20 mins, its been nearly 2 hours now with no news, hopefully its coz there is a big announcement coming?

• 29 geordielad880 // Aug 5, 2010 at 1:40 PM

hope your right mate, there will be someone signed before saturday in my opinion, need to give them time to settle, would be nice if they could be at the rangers game, give everyone a lift, if it was a big signing

• 30 geordielad880 // Aug 5, 2010 at 1:45 PM

G mate I have found the old posts, the idiot was called jaynufc89

here is the old posts

• 31 greekgeordie // Aug 5, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Lovely heated discussion and this is what is all about until end of August. I agree with most of you and your opinion is your opinion, CH has done a Sterling job in January and this time on the transfer market so let trust the man that he can deliver again.
    On Ashley I believe that he is keeping a low profile but behind the scenes he seems to be backing CH all the way, keep off his back and sit down and enjoy the Liverpool Saga unfolding for a change

• 32 geordielad880 // Aug 5, 2010 at 1:53 PM

greek geordie your not jaynufc89 are you lol, just he always said he had just come back from living in greece, lmao!!

• 33 MickyD // Aug 5, 2010 at 1:54 PM

newcastle sign ben arfa on lan according to french newspaper

• 34 greekgeordie // Aug 5, 2010 at 1:58 PM

geordielad880
    No I am Greek by birth and converted to a geordie when I went to Uni at Newcastle long time ago now live in Kent

• 35 geordielad880 // Aug 5, 2010 at 2:01 PM

mickyD i hope its right, it has no direct links to l’equipe newspaper which is strange, was on their earlier, and there was nothing about ben arfa, its usually the best place to look about french transfers

• 36 NUFC_Richyg01 // Aug 5, 2010 at 2:01 PM

@ Micky D

Just looked on the L’Equipe site and only news from today on Ben Arfa is about him being selected for France Squad

• 37 G // Aug 5, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Ah Yes, JayNUFC89. What a guy! Trying to educate him was like trying to Nail Jelly to a tree!

• 38 Shearer // Aug 5, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Hope it’s true! @33!! :D

• 39 geordielad880 // Aug 5, 2010 at 2:02 PM

nice one greekgeordie, no chance of you persuading sotitis ninis to sign for the toon is there??? :-)

• 40 Shearer // Aug 5, 2010 at 2:02 PM

@37

True lmao

• 41 geordielad880 // Aug 5, 2010 at 2:08 PM

G yeah agreed, i spent hours argueing with him, mainly about juan albin, i told him his contract ran out in june 2011, and he was adamant it was this summer, and hey im right lol, G yeah i can remember you debating with him, was just looking at some of the things you said to him lmao!!

G // May 31, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Pointless asking questions of jaynufc89, it’s clearly well past his bed time.

G // May 31, 2010 at 9:52 PM

jaynufc89, shouldn’t you be heading back to the mothership?

G // May 31, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Is he the same source who told you that shearers bar is near the chairmans and managers office? The same source who is 110% certain that a cheap tabloid rumours site is correct about everything (4 days late btw), or is he the same source who read the tabloids a year before the Ronaldo move happened and decided within 5 weeks it was inevitable and even manyoo had admitted it? Incidentaly, if age is an issue, let me tell you this boy, I am assuming from your user name that you were born in 1989, in 1989 I was kitting up for a deployment for war with my regiment what with Sadam deciding Kuwait was a nice spot, I recently celebrated what I like to think of as the tenth aniversary of my 35th birthday. I respect issues regardless of age, but I hate lies. You are full of lies little boy. If you read post 26 you even claim to own Nolan? Which Nolan would that be? Nolan sister perhaps (google it sonny)? I have earned my right to be arrogant, and I freely admit when I am wrong, I will never have to admit this to you.

• 42 NUFC_Richyg01 // Aug 5, 2010 at 2:08 PM

JayNUFC89

is pretty similar to 09NUFC09, maybe same person with name change?

• 43 greekgeordie // Aug 5, 2010 at 2:08 PM

39 I am off for a week to Greece on Sunday and I see what I can do, but Ninis is to fray for the PL better bet is Torosidis right full back and young Papastathopoulos centre back (Neutralised Messi on the last game of the group with Atgentina (I was there) but I am afraid that Milan just got him three weeks ago

• 44 NUFC_Richyg01 // Aug 5, 2010 at 2:10 PM

@ G

LMAO

• 45 G // Aug 5, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Crikey, memories indeed Geordielad… I might have been a little harsh on him, but I am sure he needed it, and will thank me for it one day? lol

• 46 G // Aug 5, 2010 at 2:13 PM

42 NUFC_Richyg01 @ 42. I wonder if that is why we are all thinking of him? Just a thought.

• 47 geordielad880 // Aug 5, 2010 at 2:16 PM

lol yeah G that was the best posting i have had and seen since i have been posting on nufcblog, and nufc_richygo1 you could well be right, he made a point of giving me abuse instantly, then ran away, i think you could be right, he used to be like that, must be his bed time??

• 48 09nufc09 // Aug 5, 2010 at 2:18 PM

lol at geordielad880 saying he hates people calling people idiots and then at the end he calls me an idiot :S … maybes a little harsh calling you an attention seeker but im not in the mood for bad news today. i am a long time reader of the blog but i very rarely comment, been coming on this site for years now long before ed shut it down. for e.g tom_toon used to come on and tell us all the players of the future and then be slated for playing on fm, briziliangeordie came on and told us about a young brazilian lad we had signed … could go on but a cba.
    keep up the decent banter n ill stick to just reading the blog.
    sorry geordielad880 just not in the mood for reading we have lost out on ben arfa!

• 49 G // Aug 5, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Well I think we now have conclusive proof that 09nufc09 is not Jaynufc89. If he were, there would be a massive dummy spit and loads of finger pointing on post 48!

• 50 geordielad880 // Aug 5, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Bit of a diffrence i said i hate people calling people idiots and muppets for having an opinion on something newcastle related, i called you an idiot because you did exactly that to me.

i called you an idiot for saying what you did because someone had made a honest comment, i have used this blog for years, and also posted for years, and have never posted made up rubbish, well i dont want us to miss out on ben arfa, was just passing on what i had been told that all,

• 51 geordielad880 // Aug 5, 2010 at 2:23 PM

lmao yeah G i think you could well be right, i think you might have scared him off :-)

• 52 NUFC_Richyg01 // Aug 5, 2010 at 2:25 PM

fair do’s 09nufc09

• 53 geordielad880 // Aug 5, 2010 at 2:33 PM

I was probably a bit harsh aswell 09nufc09, for that i appologise, dont just read the blog, posts are always welcome, banter between newcastle fans is always a good laugh. :-)

• 54 MacToon // Aug 5, 2010 at 2:40 PM

jaynufc89 // May 25, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Newcastle have got money mark my words. I also know some done deals.
    Our team next season will be

harper
    Simpson ouahno taylor enrique
    mcgeedy ireland nolan gutierrez
    boyd carroll

Ouahno £2million
    Mcgeedy £4million ( I was shocked but its true )
    Ireland Season Loan
    Wiltshire season loan
    Boyd Free
    ebondo free
    Vela season loan
    Charlie austen £1million but willl be loaned back
    Mulumbu £1.5million done deal.

out-
    Ranger loan
    forster loan
    lua lua loan
    tozer 1million
    xisco 1.5million
    best 1.5million
    young italian youngster 2million
    Ibmen loan
    austen loan.
    R.Taylor 2million ( maybe not certain
    Watch this and wait and see. we will do well next year We will spend around
    9 million with 8 million coming in thru transfers.. Steven Taylor will be made
    captain. my friend works at Shearers bar and has said these are 100% true

———————————————–

What a star that guy was, shame he’s gone ‘cos I think I owe him an apology……NOT :lol:

• 55 09nufc09 // Aug 5, 2010 at 2:43 PM

anyone on here doing fantasy football league on this website?

• 56 geordielad880 // Aug 5, 2010 at 2:44 PM

lol mac toon, yeah it was some post by him, i think that would been the record incoming and outgoing deals in newcastle’s history! :-)

4m for mcgeady:-) they are after 12m lol

I want him to come back!!

• 57 geordielad880 // Aug 5, 2010 at 2:45 PM

09nufc09 I might have a go at it, someone mentioned it the other day

• 58 NUFC_Richyg01 // Aug 5, 2010 at 2:49 PM

09nufc09

I played that last year and will be doing so again this year

• 59 G // Aug 5, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Hey Ed, any chance you can dig jaynufc89′s email out and send him a couple of rumours. Bit of fuel for the fire and all that?

• 60 MacToon // Aug 5, 2010 at 2:53 PM

“my friend works at Shearers bar and has said these are 100% true”

classic,

So we have someone saying Afra has signed and announced tomorrow or talks have broken down and gone elsewhere. My guess is one of you’s is right ;)

• 61 balubas1 // Aug 5, 2010 at 3:27 PM

If we get Ben Arfa lets take it as a positive surprise.. I’m as exited as anyone here of the transfer market, but not getting him isnt the end of the world..

I think we have a decent squad, and I am glad we finally have some foundation in the squad again.

If we don’t get Ben Arfa or anyone else, I think we will get someone in january. CH has been clever with his signings so far, and I don’t think he suddely will go silly..

And I wonder whats going on with the scandinavian talents we looked at earlier? They seem to be quality and don’t cost as much as french primadonnas.

• 62 NUFC_Richyg01 // Aug 5, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Anyone heard the link to Deniz Yilmaz.

• 63 rknufc // Aug 5, 2010 at 4:20 PM

@ 55 09nufc09 // Aug 5, 2010 at 2:43 PM
    ye i got one 2

• 64 tjshawsey // Aug 5, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Yep, apparently Bayern’s coach (van gaal is it? I can’t remember) is looking to sell off some of his strikers, so a deal could be done for any of them. This is all from a paper mind!

• 65 jesmag // Aug 6, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Stephen Taylor made captain? Your Shearer’s Bar mate must have been drinking the profits.He is, sadly, rather dim and now his sholder is worryingly vulnerable.

previous post: Spurs Not Interested In Djalo – But Are Newcastle?

next post: Newcastle Defenders Have A Few Games To Prove Their Worth