Why Is Hughton Leaving It So Late To Name Newcastle Captain?

Fabricio Coloccini was given the captaincy last Tuesday night, against his former side Deportivo, and it was another fitting gesture from Newcastle manager Chris Hughton.

Thanks Fab!

Coloccini was one of the stars of last season, and showed his commitment to Newcastle with some rousing displays in the Championship.

Newcastle fans are now just hoping (and praying) he can keep up that terrific form in the much tougher league of the English Premiership.

Coloccini told the Evening Chronicle recently:

“It was a proud honor for me to lead Newcastle out against my old team.”

“I enjoyed the experience very much.” “Any player would see the chance to lead Newcastle United out as a privilege and I’m no different.”

“If the chance comes along to do it again, I wouldn’t say no.”

And Fabrico gave another great display at the back in that game that Newcastle won on penalties, with two new partners in James Perch and 19 year-old James Tavernier, but he seems to be  a great player to play with.

It’s interesting that Hughton has still to name his new captain for Newcastle,  and in our poll Kevin Nolan won easily with over 60% of the vote, but Coloccini would be very willing to take it on – if it was offered to him – but it looks like he’s talking about only single  game occurrences.

But it is getting a bit late now, and surely Chris will be naming his new captain this week, and it will be a big shock if Nolan doesn’t get the job and the honor of captaining the famous Newcastle United club.

• rkw

Aug 9, 2010 at 8:17 AM

This has been on my mind lately as well. I wouldn’t say I’m worried about it, but you have to wonder what CH is playing at waiting for it so long. There aren’t any games left to give any one a test drive. Guess all we can do is hope that he picks the right man and it all shakes out.

• Brutooon

Aug 9, 2010 at 8:39 AM

captain = guarantee first team selection.

last time mistakes was putting geremi as captain where he held below average performances

i would go for Nolan or maybe Collocini

• seanp

Aug 9, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Agree with Brutooon that the captain is an almost certain starter. Is the reluctance about naming Nolan a sign that perhaps the plan is to bring in more midfielders making Nolan no longer an automatic starter.

• Gash

Aug 9, 2010 at 10:08 AM

seanp
    You may have a point there. Also wouldnt it be better having someone like Colo in the centre of defence and in the spine of the team being captain. Other than injury I cannot see him not being picked this season.

Oh and if we have a few bob for wages on another free transfer…lets have Gudjonsenn on the books sharpish. He would make a great foil for Carroll up front and give us another dimension in attack.

• Wright

Aug 9, 2010 at 10:09 AM

what about carrol
    he has passion hunger
    and loves the club
    either him or steve taylor when he is fit

• Obafan

Aug 9, 2010 at 12:26 PM

@Wright: Are you really serious about that? I would not be surprised if Carroll is dropped within a few weeks. If I was manager I would not start him at all. It really annoys me that people on here don’t want to see how average both Carroll and S. Taylor really are. It is just because they are Geordies.

I would go for Collocini. And I think CH is waiting so long, because he might have purchase a few players which could lead that Nolan isn’t a regular starter anymore.

• alder09

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:01 PM

@wright
    that post made me laugh
    well in that case, we may aswell give shola the armband, dont be surprised if he plays more than carroll. at least hes got goals to show in the prem ohh and he has passion and hunger and loves the club.

personally i would give it too either harper, smith or barton
    smith was captain for the majority of last season, and seemed to get a lot of respect of the other players, so it seems unfair to take it off him, and i would then have Nolan as vice-captain
    but barton is a good pick, because he will be instrumental to everything we do this season, so will be guarenteed a startin place wen fit.
    harps is the longest servin player at this club, he understands the tradition, and his loyalty is unquestionable, 16 years as a number 2, 3 and 4 give him a shot

• alder09

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:04 PM

@Obafan
    completely agree with you on tayls and carroll being average. Carroll scored 19 goals last season in somethnig like 44 games
    IN THE FIZZY POP LEAGUE
    Shola got 11 in 20? to me thats a better goals to game ratio. i think he can become a good player, but he’ll never be a number9 EVER

and i think tayls will develop immensely next to campbell, he will gain the experience and a better understandin of how and when to defend

• baro

Aug 9, 2010 at 8:54 PM

I think captain is Nolan.