Newcastle In Bid For Turkish International

There were reports in the French Press yesterday that Newcastle have bid for 23 year-old PSG striker, Mevlut Erding.

Mevlut Erding – Newcastle bid again for Turkish International  striker

The reports suggest that Newcastle bid around £5M for the player, and this is not the first time we’ve been linked with the Turkish International this summer, and we have had a number of reports on the player including this one on July 3rd.

But the bid has apparently already been turned down by the Paris-based club.

The amount Newcastle are said to be bidding seems to be a problem, since PSG paid £6M for Erding in June of last year, when he was signed from FC Sochaux , so why would PSG sell their player at a loss?

The 5’11” striker played a total of 84 times for Sochaux from 2005, with 25 goals,  and at PSG has played 37 times with 20 goals, so his goal-scoring record is good and he fits the profile of young players who can improve at Newcastle.

Erding played for the France U17 side and then the Turkey youth teams, before making his full debut for Turkey in March of 2008, in a 2–2 draw with Belarus, and so far has 10 caps for Turkey.

Mevlut is French of Turkish descent, and holds both Turkish and French citizenship,  and we think he would be a decent buy for Newcastle, and hope there is some truth in these reports.

However, Sky Sports is reporting the player is happy enough at PSG, and quotes the lad as saying:

“I am convinced that I can do well at this club,” “People can say what they want, but PSG remain a big club. When I signed last year we wanted to get into the top five and that ambition remains the same.””The fact that some clubs have looked at me recently has distracted me slightly, but I know chairman Robin Leproux has big ambitions for PSG and I want to be part of that project.”

Those comments don’t mean the 23 year-old could not be coming to Newcastle,  if the two clubs can agree a fee.

• Angryman the Angry fan

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:45 AM

Not gonna happen!

• Newutd

Aug 11, 2010 at 7:04 AM

Regurgetated news.

• Ericles

Aug 11, 2010 at 7:46 AM

Not sure I trust the French media on this. Recent fluffs do not inspire confidence about accuracy. More chance with ben Arfa. I would not mind tempting Bellamy to return if Fat Cash has the money????

• Solaidback

Aug 11, 2010 at 7:59 AM

Actually Ed, if the lad doesn’t want to come to the Toon, it doesn’t matter if the clubs agree a fee, he has a contract & PSG have to honour that, so if he’s happy, as he says he is, they can’t force him to leave!!!

Anyways, this is yet another story of an agent trying to market this young player to bigger clubs who’re willing to pay mega-bucks for him, so that the Agent can get a hefty wad of commission imo….

• simsanator

Aug 11, 2010 at 8:49 AM

Im with Ericles on this…

Bellamy @ 1mil – bargain.
    Gallas – Free – bargain.

I like to see young players signed with potential but you cant rely on them for survival….

• Milzzy Rascal

Aug 11, 2010 at 8:56 AM

I would welcome Craig Bellamy back to this club with open arms if we had the chance. Sadly tho I think he may end up at Fulham

• Rotonda heights

Aug 11, 2010 at 9:08 AM

well documented he cost them 9M and has been a success so we offer them 5m. You couldn’t make it up.

It’s funny that Ashley is so stringent and cautious with the purse strings now, but why on earth didn’t he stop Allardyce buying a load of crud and putting them on huge wages and long term contracts. If it wasn’t for that we could be buying these decent players perhaps.

• noir9

Aug 11, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Bellamy is not going to be a bargain, not with spurs, fulham & celtic interested more like £7/8 mil + at least £65k a week. We need to be finding the next craig bellamy……bloody souness eh!

• NUFC_Richyg01

Aug 11, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Erding committed his future to PSG yesterday so I cant see this one happening.

Spuds are after Gallas, cant see him moving out of London to join us to be honest, plus his wages are HUGE, plus we signed the player Wenger thought more of, he offered Sol another deal, he didnt Gallas.

I would love to see Bellamy back, but at the same time, maybe we do need to move on and try for someone younger.

Also, why are we not trying for Robert Koren???

• freddie

Aug 11, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Gallas would be a great signing. Unfortunatly we cant compete with spurs for either gallas or bellamy. I think we are going to be right at the very bottom of the food chain when it comes to signings.

• Bryan

Aug 11, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Freddie- Unfortunately, your spot on. I look at Spurs and NUFC and think back to when KK arrived. Spurs were bottom of the league and struggling big time. Now look at us both. It just shows how important the right manager is with the backing of a passinate and understanding chairman who is perpared to back his manager in the transfer market. I hate Ashley with a passion.

• NUFC_Richyg01

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Thing is the Bryan, Ashley is trying to put right the wrongs of those chairmen who went before him.

I personally think he is getting the club onto some good solid (financial) foundations.

• baro

Aug 11, 2010 at 7:21 PM

This Mevlut Erding is a beast.

• Bryan

Aug 11, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Richygo01- I am sorry to disagree with you but what foundations is he setting? By not investing in decent players, and I am not talking about the £10m + players, all he is doing is creating a team that is now talked in the same breath as the likes of, Stoke, Bolton, Wigan, Wolves, Birmingham etc. Is that what we really want for our team? With a realistic outlay on good players we could form a foundation for the team as well as the club. Lets be honest, we all know we need a striker to have any chance this year, but what quality of player can you buy for £1-3m which is what Ashley seems to want to pay?
    Do we want a debt free club struggling at the bottom of the PL or a club with sustainable debt competing for hounors? I know which one I would like.