More Good News – Arévalo Ríos Close To Signing For Magpies

It’s been very good news about Newcastle and Ben Arfa this morning, and the thing that really makes us proud is the way that Chris Hughton and the Newcastle club have handled themselves during this deal.

Arévalo Ríos – news that Newcastle are close to a deal

As we said earlier Newcastle have looked golden and that’s how clubs should do their business – out of the press – as Newcastle have shown, and Marseilles have even embarrassed themselves by their President going public so much over the last week with conflicting  statements.

And by the way –  clubs have a much better chance of being successful if they do that – as Newcastle have proved nicely with Ben Arfa.

We are a little hesitant to offer potentially more good news this morning, but there is also news being sent to us from Uruguay that their Uruguayan International defensive midfielder is said to be very close to signing permanently for Newcastle for around £2M.

We had reported Newcastle’s interest a week or so ago and on August 5th he was said to be close  to signing for Newcastle.

Arévalo Rios played defensive midfield for Uruguay in their very successful world cup campaign, and Greek club Olympiakos were in talks to sign the player, but that deal fell through over a week ago, and presumably that left it open for Newcastle to close the deal.

Arévalo Ríos currently plays for Club Atlético Peñarol in Montevideo, Uruguay – and has played 9 times for Uruguay.

If any of our  Uruguayan readers are around this morning, maybe you can comment on this story.

Comments  always welcome.

• Tom4Nufc

Aug 14, 2010 at 10:30 AM

If this goes through I would imagine that’s Smith gone and maybe another as Ben Arfa has been told he will play CM… Thoughts?

• Tom

Aug 14, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Arfa would probably play in an attacking midfield role, just off of the striker. I.E. Nolans role, the “number 10” position.

This sounds like hearsay more than any actual news, just like the Ben Arfa stuff, the guy IS NOT ABOUT TO SIGN FOR US. Sure, he might be over the next few days, but Marseille are refusing to let him come on loan at the minute, and Newcastle won’t shell out the 6 million to sign him permenantly, so we are at a standstill.

• Solaidback

Aug 14, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Another rumour thats has not substance from what I’ve read!!!

We’re being linked to anybody & everybody but until they’re standing on the hollow truf st SJP wearing a B&W strip, I’m not going to get too excited just yet 🙂

• Rotonda heights

Aug 14, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Oh come on Tom and solaidback, there’s a real good buzz at the minute, don’t be such killjoys.

• Tom

Aug 14, 2010 at 10:48 AM

If you enjoy a buzz that is based on nothing concrete, then that is fine. I would rather be more realistic.

• Solaidback

Aug 14, 2010 at 10:48 AM

I’m not being a killjoy Rotonda, I’m being realistic & not getting my hopes up just for them to fall from under me at the last moment, I’ve been a Toon fan too long to know things don’t go smoothly at our club & it makes the rest of the season painful after having your hopes dashed at the last minute….

So this way, if he doesn’t sign, I’ll still be ok with what we have but if he does sign, it’ll be a massive bonus 🙂

• Rotonda heights

Aug 14, 2010 at 10:53 AM

I know, I’ve been a fan for 40 years or more and that probably accounts for my miserable outlook on life. But just this once, for some reason and yes I do hear everything you say, I’ve decided to go the other way and live in the moment !

• Solaidback

Aug 14, 2010 at 10:57 AM

lol 🙂 good for you Rotonda, if thats what you want to do, that’s entirely up to you mate 🙂 we all have different ways of working through these & mine use to be, get excited with every post that someone might come to the Toon but like you, I’ve decied this season to just take it as it comes & not get too excited until they sign 🙂

• Tom

Aug 14, 2010 at 10:57 AM

That is fair enough, and I can certainly respect that 🙂 All I’m saying is, I’m taking different look at it 🙂

• GeordieDan

Aug 14, 2010 at 10:58 AM

This is what the transfer window is all about! I’m choosing to believe this transfer now has a better chance of happening then not and therefore I’ll enjoy the buzz as much as possible.

While I’m a realist enough to know nothing is a “Done” deal until confirmed officially by the club there nothing wrong with celebrating some great news to start the weekend.

Ignore the killjoys. I’m sure they find something to complain about if we got Messi on a free.

• repo

Aug 14, 2010 at 11:02 AM

emm ive reported this story..

• Solaidback

Aug 14, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Repo – what do you mean reported the story???

• MacToon

Aug 14, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Solaid back, all them smilies, I think you may be a tad excited really 😉

It could have been April 1st but was Friday 13th, feels more like Christmas lol. I’m too old for so much excitement in 1 day!

If NUFC can get Afra sorted out and get Arevalo too it will go a long way to helping our season imo and also in repairing the damage caused by Ashley.

• repo

Aug 14, 2010 at 11:33 AM

repo // Aug 14, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Arevalo Rios is our next signing,

• ginkoh

Aug 14, 2010 at 11:35 AM

How old is he ? 26 ?

• rknufc

Aug 14, 2010 at 11:38 AM

• andyglostoon

Aug 14, 2010 at 11:57 AM

god ,this is all hearsay,no fact involved ,Ed i think you should not get peoples hopes up mate!

• Ericles

Aug 14, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Do we need another midfielder? Who on earth is going to “scheme” or “cross” the balls that Carroll claims he is going to score with? I look forward to reading the Sunday media gossip columns.

• BlacknWhite Barmy

Aug 14, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Another name another false avenue.

The fatone has spend 1.5M on a player who has one good game against us – then struggled to get into the 1st team.

Succes this year will be avoiding relegation – or ideally getting rid of Jabba.

• Toon_fan83

Aug 14, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Hope this is true as we need a DM smith as awful and guthrie is not defensive enough to cover this role. The only CM we currently have that i rate highly is barton.

• baro

Aug 14, 2010 at 6:21 PM

In my opinion he is just the right type of player we need. Arevalo Rios real position is Defensive Mid, but looked outstanding at the Right Back spot for Uruguay in world cup. Class signing.

• Solaidback

Aug 15, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Well from what I’ve been told, if CraigCoozy says a player is coming to the Toon, then he’ll be in days as he’s already predicted the last 4 trasnfers but as I’ve not seen any posts regarding this Rios guy by CraigCoozy, then I’m not holding my hopes of this guys arrival!!!