No More Blow-Ups Or Mayhem At Newcastle Club

In August two years ago, Newcastle started the season well under then manager Kevin Keegan.

Danny Guthrie – mayhem wont happen again – good

With a first game at Old Trafford, there was some trepidation amongst the fans,  but the lads played well and thoroughly deserved their 1-1 draw, after going ahead in the first half.

But of course within a couple of weeks all hell broke loose at the Newcastle club, with an eruption between Kevin Keegan and Dennis Wise in particular.

It all ended up with Kevin Keegan walking out, after it was clear he was not the person in charge of which players would come and which would go in the transfer market – Dennis Wise has that authority.

And that was even though the club had said Kevin would be in charge of transfers after Dennis was appointed Director of Football a short two weeks after Kevin himself has been appointed manager in January of 2008, following the sacking of Sam Allardyce.

And the Newcastle fans also erupted – demanding that owner Mike Ashley sell the club and get out – which he tried to do but couldn’t – and in short,  that was the start of a devastating season which saw Newcastle relegated to the Championship.

We will never forget the devastated Newcastle fans in tears at the end of the Aston Villa game,  when it became clear we were relegated and Alan Shearer, the manager at the time, walking around Villa Park in a daze trying to come to grips with what had happened to his home town club.

And some Newcastle fans have not, and will not, forgive Mike Ashley for letting that happen, and a cloud still hangs over Mike’s head for allowing the club go into such complete disarray.

But things are a lot better now, thank goodness, under the steady and calm approach of new manager Chris Hughton and his assistant Colin Calderwood.

And 23 year-old midfielder Danny Guthrie, who is a likely starter when Newcastle again travel to the Red Devils for their first game of the season tomorrow  night, assures us that kind of mayhem will never happen again.

Guthrie made his debut in that 1-1 draw, but of course, it was a disastrous season at Newcastle and it was hard to take for the loyal Newcastle fans – it was devastating.

Danny said:

“It was a great start – but then it all blew up.”“It was mayhem for a bit. It affected the whole club and it was a disaster. It won’t happen this time.’’

“It was difficult as a new player. I was just trying to concentrate on playing.” “Everyone was saying, ‘This stuff won’t affect you’. But it affected the whole club. In the end it was disaster.”

“First and foremost we want to be in this league again next year. I think we can finish between 12th and 14th.”

Saying the mayhem will not happen again is like saying two years after a devastating tornado has hit an area – that at least it will not happen again,  or that if you stop hitting your head against the brick wall it will feel better.

But the Tyneside club went through one of its worst periods in recent memory in that 2008-2009 season,  and it was only last season that Newcastle started to come back from the abyss, and were promoted back to the Premier League,  where most people would agree they belong.

We’re not sure how we will fare in the actual game tomorrow night, fellow promotion club WBA were annihilated 6-0 at Chelsea yesterday, but we at least feel confident that Chris Hughton can keep the club in clear water this season – although it will not be easy.

And we also know that every single Newcastle player will give it everything  they’ve got.

• Solaidback

Aug 15, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Lets hope it’s not daja ve for us Ed…. I mean weplayed Manc Usa at the beginning of that season & it all went tits up & now we’re playing Manc Usa at the begining of this season too… so….

I’m just wondering if who ever buys the Cessepool club, that the other interested parties who fail in their bids maybe looking at other teams they may want to buy ie the Toon!!!

What d’ya think???

• magpie9

Aug 15, 2010 at 9:54 AM

i think that with what games we have to start the season off with i would take 7-9 points off the first six games.

• Bryan

Aug 15, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Ed, you are saying things are a lot better, how is that. The team that plays on Monday will be alot weaker than the one in 08. Yes the team spirit might be better, but in this league games are not won on team spirit alone because most of the teams in this league are so good. Just look at the Spurs V Man City game yesturday, these teams are on a different planet to us.
    Quite a few people agree with the way Ashley is now running the club. I totally agree that the club needs to be run within the confines of the finances available. But this guy is a billionaire and the PL will hand over £30-£50m this season and all we have spent is £1.5. Surely he knows that by buying quality players you are going to be able to compete for honors in this league and not just be content to survive. Wheres the ambition in that.
    This all reminds of the bad old days under Westwood & McKeag.
    Saying all this I still love my club and want it to do well, but I just can not come round to liking this guy Ashley who in my opinion has knocked this club back 10 years, and it is going to take longer that that to get back to where we were under Sir Bobby.

• Gazzzz

Aug 15, 2010 at 9:55 AM

We, the supporters, need to do our bit to help the team as much as we can. I know we are still not 100% on the whole Ashley situation, but we need to forget about him and support the team, Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood as much as possible. We can’t afford to risk breaking the good feeling there currently is within the team. It’s going to be a tough season and the likes of constant chants about ashely just isn’t going to help!
    Howay the lads!!…..2-2 at Man Utd

• Mags

Aug 15, 2010 at 10:43 AM

I hope not Ed and in spite of Ashley, I have renewed my season ticket again. The love & support to my club will never be in doubt.

However, I agree fully with Bryan’s comments (3). I said as much the season we went down, and nothing has changed my mind.

Ashley has come out of every transfer with a net profit in player sales /purchases, that in itself is the greatest condemnation. How do you improve the team with those tactics?

Why did he buy us?

• Gazzzz

Aug 15, 2010 at 11:37 AM

I do also agree that Ashley has not yet shown us any money, but that is not going change. Ashley knows how we feel, and if someone was to come in to buy the club, I’m sure he’ll definitely consider it (let’s hope so); all I’m hoping for this season is a stop to all the daft chanting and concentrate on doing what we do best, support the team. Our main aim this season is to stay up, hopefully mid table, which with the team we currently have I think is possible. If we do, then I would expect a bigger and better investment by Ashley next season.

• baro

Aug 15, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Under Mike Ashley anything can happen.