Steven Taylor Contract Talks Proving Difficult And Drawn Out

Steven Taylor’s agent has admitted today that the contracxt talks that are ongoing with the Newcastle club are proving to be difficult and drawn out.

Steven Taylor – contract talks prove difficult

The 24-year-old will be out until October with a dislocated shoulder, which he suffered at Carlisle in July, in his first game back following his knee problems he suffered in January.

Steven’s representative, Paul Stretford, told the Mail on Sunday:

“It would not be right to go into specific details as I don’t believe it would help the situation.”

“Suffice to say matters are not progressing as I would like them to or would expect, but I am hopeful that there will be some movement in the near future.”

“In the case of Steven it is typical of modern contract negotiations; they can become difficult and drawn-out. But from our point of view we are keen to try to conclude matters in the near future.”

Contract talks are always difficult, especially when Steven is already on  a good deal at the club, and may nor get much of an increase with his new contract.

But we have to hope that things can be sorted out, as Taylor is an important part of the squad at Newcastle, and his grit, determination and Premier League experience will be sorely needed this season.

Steven seems to want this thing sorted out too, as he said:

“This is the club I have been at all my life. Last year we did a fantastic job getting the club back to where it belongs.”

“The manager and his staff have done a great job and I hope they get enough support so that they can continue to move the club forward. I would love to be a part of that but first I need to get myself fit and back playing.”

“I’m not going to comment on the stories about my contract talks. They are a matter for my agent and the club to sort out.”

Good words from Steven and he shouldn’t comment on his contract – that’s what he’s paying his agent to sort out for him, and we hope that contract will be signed – and sooner rather than later.

• SJS

Aug 15, 2010 at 9:40 AM

I think this is a PR exercise. He will see out his contract and expect a bumper pay day elsewhere. Not that fussed to be honest.

• Ericles

Aug 15, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Hope you are wrong SJS. Trouble is we have an owner and his henchmen who are not exactly a savoury flavour when it comes to dealing.

• Captain Beefheart

Aug 15, 2010 at 9:53 AM

It’s all pretty pointless unless he is going to be regularly available – which doesn’t seem to be possible if the injury is ‘reoccurring’. Even when he does play I’m never fully convinced – although he could be good RB cover. In fact I think its payback for Tayls who could have had this wrapped up months ago, but instead orchestrated a summer press campaign listing all the clubs supposedly interested in him.

To say it’s down to his agent is incongruous, his agent works under instruction from him as client. On top of his press theatrics, if Ashley also senses a semi-permanent sicknote I’m sure he will play hard-ball and call his bluff, cash Tayls in and look elsewhere; and for once I would agree with the fat man.

• repo

Aug 15, 2010 at 9:53 AM

let him go..

• Angryman the Angry fan

Aug 15, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Been through this shit before with Taylor! Next well have his motor mouthed fatha gobbing off about how badly done by his son is!!
    My opinion is he’s a slightly above average injury prone cb…… And should be grateful he has a job at all nevermind trying to squeeze every last penny out his employers!
    I vote for Andy Carroll to do his contract negotiations!!

• Ericles

Aug 15, 2010 at 10:24 AM

As much as I do not want to admit it perhaps Captain beefheart does have a valid point. Some do think that he has not fully realised the potential that got him into the under 21’s. Sadly he seems to have adopted the role of local press pundit when he should have kept his gob shut. With a long term injury and competition from Sol, Col, and Willo it may be that his NUFC days are numbered. If he had not had the setback with his shoulder (sorry about that Carroll) he may have had a more secure position. Who knows? Another wait and see scenario for NUFC I am afraid.

• GeordieDan

Aug 15, 2010 at 11:19 AM

I used to really rate Taylor until all the stories began to emerge about what his character is really like-And they aren’t just paper spun rubbish they all have substance in them.

If he really loved “his” club he wouldn’t have actively tried to destroy team morale by trying his best to shag Carroll’s missus while he was away and he would accept that that the £30k/week he is currently on is way better than what a lot of our newer signings are on anyway!

He’s been out for the best part of a season now regardless so where does he think he deserves a rise from? Certainly not for attitude or deeds on the pitch is it!

He just seems to be an greedy, arrogant little shite who has become a disruptive influence rather than a great local boy living the dream and trying his best for the TEAM! Fame gone blatantly to his head. A head that Carroll was quite right to attempt to take of his shoulders.

As I opened with: BOLLOX-let him go.

• costello91

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Take watever bid comes in for him, williamson is a much better player

• geordielad880

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:55 PM

get rid of the horrible overated little c**t, he is the most overated player i can ever remember playing for us, i would tell his agent this is the final offer, accept it or he wont be part of the 25, and wont play for the rest of the season and can sit the reserves, then see what he says.

• JerseyGeordie

Aug 15, 2010 at 2:18 PM

he’s been vastly overrated and needs an insentive based deal. Feels like only last year we were going through this with him and now his agent is talking to the press… If he loves the club so much he should be willing to get paid by his performance otherwise lets shop him around and see what we can get for him in jan. He’s turning into a diva in my eyes…

• baro

Aug 15, 2010 at 5:10 PM

r u being serious? Mike Williamson is nowhere as good as Steven Taylor. Dreaming?

• Thump

Aug 15, 2010 at 5:41 PM

@baro: Steven Taylor is often chasing his own mistakes and making last minute blocks, occasionally knocking a header in from a corner and beyond that does sweet F.A. I agree that Williamson might not be as good as ST, but Willo actually *wants* to play for the badge on his shirt, whereas ST seems more than happy to relax and watch the rage roll on in – exactly the kind of attitude we didn’t want in the fizzy.

• Rotonda heights

Aug 15, 2010 at 6:44 PM

let him go along with his pain of an arse father.