Gosling Looks Forward To Central Midfield Berth At Newcastle

Our injured free signing Dan Gosling from Everton,  has talked to the Evening Chronicle today.

Dan Gosling – wants to play in central midfield

Dan is one of those players, much like Danny Guthrie, who thinks his best position is in central midfield, but it’s usually a tough position to nail down in any team.

And Dan was frustrated at Goodison Park that he didn’t get many chances to play in that position, which is apparently one reason he switched to Newcastle last month.

Dan told the Evening Chronicle today:

“I feel most comfortable in central midfield – I feel I give more to the team there.”   “My versatility’s worked out well for me so far, but I want to nail down a place where I feel I’m best at.”

“Hopefully, it’s central midfield.” “Usually the manager likes to put experienced players there – it’s the center of the team.” “But hopefully, I can show what I can do, and fight for my place.”

He will face significant challenges in getting a central midfield position at Newcastle mainly with Kevin Nolan, Joey Barton and Danny Guthrie, looking to hold down the attacking central midfield position.

But Dan is still of course a very long way from coming back from his very serious cruciate ligament knee injury, and he still has a good four months before he will be playing again. We have to hope we have enough points on the board at the end of the year, not to be in another relegation scrap.

So it’s still a fight back to full fitness for the 20 year-old, as he continued:

“It’s the toughest part of being a footballer.” “It’s probably one of the worst injuries you can have, really. It’s been a long, long time, and will be a few months more.”“It’s obviously very frustrating as a footballer.”

“This club should be around the top six in the league – that’s where we all want to go.” “With the lads here, and bringing in a few over the next few years, we can reproduce the form that got us there in the first place.”

“I spoke to the gaffer and the coaching staff before I joined, and their vision is to push on, and get as far up the table as we can.”

The main thing Newcastle supporters are thinking about right now, is whether we can get some points up on the board on Sunday afternoon, when we play a good looking Aston Villa side.

Villa will likely have new signing Stephen Ireland playing in his debut for them – after his move from Manchester City – and we certainly could have done with a player like that – come to think of it.

• Magpietillidie22

Aug 18, 2010 at 12:55 PM

If gosling gets back to playing before xmas we will have 5 CMs that are all of a similar mold. I hope that the club looks at that and not just buy more but sell a couple and bring in a couple pacey players.

Our CM is about as creative as asking a statue to paint you a picture.

God, if we had pulled modric in…. no i wont dwell on past mistakes, that catalogue is vast

• Gosling

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Latest on the ben arfa situation:-

Hatem Ben Arfa’s move to Newcastle looks in jeopardy. His advisors are reportedly in talks with Werder Bremen.

• Magpietillidie22

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Gosling shhh, we’re not aloud to talk about ben arfa in these open forums anymore. Its naughty naughty, despite it being the most interesting thing happening around toon right now lol

• MacToon

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Ben who?

• Gosling

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Latest on the Ben Arfa Situation:-

Dassier says Marseille Haven’t recieved any offer from bremen.

Mercato: Ben Arfa to Bremen?
    100 contributions
    Published Wednesday, August 18, 2010 at 10:32

The OM is determined to find a settlement with Hatem Ben Arfa. “I do not want to be that his career will be stopped”, insists the president of Marseille, Jean-Claude Dassier last few days. If contacts hottest sent the French international side Newcastle, it is possible that is changing rapidly. On its website, France Football indicated early yesterday evening that talks with Werder Bremen and Klaus Allofs, the former Olympian now sporting director of the German club were already well advanced. Joint last night very late in Provence, Dassier “to certify that no proposal has been forwarded to the OM.

• Malaysia-RASHID

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:17 PM

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…

• Magpietillidie22

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Oh great gosling, now youve done it…. the big bad ryango1 will be in here any minute now lol

• toonruz

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:30 PM

i think ben arfa will still sign for us

• Magpietillidie22

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:38 PM

RUNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!

• Malaysia-RASHID

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:43 PM

booooooooooooo…..sorry….shhhhhhhh

• carollno9

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Got to get rid of the older CMs weve got and get more creative and quicker players in! i would sell Nolan Smith Ameobi Best Perch and bring in Ben Arfa a quick striker a left back and creative mid (some one like Ireland would of been nice! My Team for Villa would be:
    Krul
    S Taylor Williamson Colo Enrique

Routledge Barton Vucik Jonas

Lovenkrands

Carroll

• Mags

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Does that include girls? Or is that even worse. I am still clinging on with my french manicured nails in the hope WE SIGN HATEM BEN ARFA.

• carollno9

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:48 PM

I meant R taylor not S taylor!

• Mags

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:50 PM

OK I know. SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I’ll get my coat.

• davybtoon

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:50 PM

me to i want this signing more than any other i jus want something to happen anything, even confirm he is goin somewere so we can move on if its not gonna happen

• Magpietillidie22

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:53 PM

lol mags

*sneaks in*

BEN, BEN ARFA, BEN , BEN , BEN, BEN , BEN ARFA!

*runs back out the room*

• Partizan

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:55 PM

The faster you guys realize that Ben Arfa’s saga is over and that there never was concrete interest from Mike Ashley to pump the money for this transfer,,,the faster we’ll move on.

I’m not saying that i don’t believe in miracles,,but with this owner of ours…i lost every possible hope that as long as he’s on the helm of our club,the club will only sink….and belieeeeve ME…..we go down 1 more time,than you can kiss this club good bye for the next 5 years at least.

• NUFC_Richyg01

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:58 PM

HAHA, I guess you mean me Magpietillidie22!?

Mention him as much as you like, but you might aswell talk about Lionel Messi, because there is as much chance of him arriving here in the next 2 weeks.

• Magpietillidie22

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:02 PM

lol Richygo1

dunno what your talking bout mate …. 😀

Speaking of which I did hear we were in the market for messi but we arguing over a 4.5m fee

• Mags

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:03 PM

NUFC_Richgo1 (16) Partizan (15)

Are you trying to destroy me? You will be telling me next there is no Father Christmas!

Magpietillidie22 – keep the door open, I’m right behind you!

• davybtoon

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:05 PM

mike ashly long term aim will be to make as much money as he can when he sells the club to double or triple what he paid for it, so why another relegation comes in to that i dont understand were some of you are comin from get a grip he is to stay until he can achieve so stop hating man, am no ashly fan but beyond caring that he is here

• Howay The Lads

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Hahaha, I just looked at Ameobi’s Wikipedia for no reason and above his picture it says ‘The Fenham Eusebio’ 😆

• davybtoon

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:11 PM

class wish it was true shola, do u think shola wrote that on himself

• GeordieGerman

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Mike Ashley is a wonderful man and will spend hundreds of millions in the January transfer window and Messi has just signed a 5 year contract with NUFC…

… or was that NUFC will have a messy 5 years?

• Howay The Lads

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:14 PM

If he did I’m surprised he thought so little of himself 😉

• Partizan

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Geordie German….I would have hated an owner if he was spending 40+ millions every window.

If he was giving 20 mill every transfer window + 50 % from the transfer fees from our sold players,we would have had a top 6 taem by now.

• GeordieGerman

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Here’s one for you NUFC_Richyg01, I do anagrams and from Hatem Ben Arfa:

A Ban Far Theme

• Magpietillidie22

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:30 PM

heres another geordiegerman

Bath Mean Fear

lol

• GeordieGerman

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Taken from:

Newcastle Target Slovakian Vladimir Weiss Loan Deal

Partizan // Aug 18, 2010 at 1:46 PM

“Mike Ashley plays with your club like a cat with a mouse.I could only imagine what would have happened to Partizan’s owner if he played with our club the way Ashley plays with NUFC.

They would make Hostel movie look like a kids movie”.

Boy am I confused

• Howay The Lads

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:38 PM

“Where you coming from Partizan? If Ashley spent 50 mill we’de all be kissing his bot.”

What and end up in a financial mess again! No, thanks.

I think Ashley has the right ideas, but is going about it the wrong way.

The policy for next season should be get players (not too many as to disrupt the changing room though) to keep us up. If Ben Arfa costs £5 million and keeps us up it’s worth it.

We have to be realistic but also thrifty. I looked at the article on here when Kevin Keegan had left and, I’m not gonna lie here, some of the comments disgusted me.

Somebody said “Ashley promised 100’s of millions and only ended up spending £25!!” or something along those lines.

Too much money and you get egos – look at Man Citeh.
    Too much money and you get opposition fans hating you – look at Man Citeh.
    Too much money and you collapse financially – look at Portsmouth.

What I want is players that are passionate, have a bit of ability and want to win. The Bellamy type of player.

I’d say if Ashley was to run the club perfectly he should have spent maybe £5/6 million this transfer window and if in January we were looking like strong relegation candidates then maybe another £5 million. It’s all about finding a balance.

However, no matter how long he’s here for I fear that Ashley will only use us as a selling club. There is hope though. If we stay up this season, we’ll be on a better footing, both financially and on a playing basis, and that may encourage some offers.

The only way a team like us can get amongst the big boys again is if we are sensible (like Everton) and, to be honest, I much, much, much prefer it this way; having 11 players that know how the fans feel

• Magpietillidie22

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Dunno if i’d wanna be like everton, but arsenal? Definitely. The only club to finish in the top four AND make a profit… that has to be our aim as a club

Not even just financially, the players love the club, they bring young players through perfectly, they buy sensibly and they sell at the right time, at the right price.

If there is one club in the world i’d like us to emulate its the gunners.

I do feel Ashley is TRYING to do the right thing but, yeah, hes slightly missing the point too

• Gosling

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:47 PM

this is my line up for sunday:-

—Harper—

R.Taylor—Willo—collo—Bull

Routledge—guthrie—barton—jonas

—Ben Arfa—

—Carrol—

• Magpietillidie22

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:51 PM

If we sign benny then this would be mine…

…………………….Krul…………………………

R. Tayls….Williamson…Colo….Enrique

…………Barton…………Guthrie……………

Routledge………Ben Arfa……………Jonas

……………………..Carroll…………………….

• Gosling

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:52 PM

thats a pretty decent starting 11 to tell the truth.

• Howay The Lads

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:53 PM

“—Ben Arfa—”

Bit early, lad. Also it’s obvious Nolan WILL play. There’s no point ignoring him.

I’d go for:

——————–Harper

Raylor — Coloccini — Williamson — Enrique

Routledge —- Barton — Nolan —- Gutierrez

———–Loverman — Carroll

• Partizan

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:57 PM

HTL…I never said i want 50 mill to be spended by Ashley.But 20 mill should have been a must.

You dont need to look anywhere further,,just take a look at your beloved neighbours who came back from relegation 3 times in a period of 10 years.
    That says it all

• Howay The Lads

Aug 18, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Partizan, I was talking to GeordieGerman.

Also Sunderland spent £150 million in 3/4 years and finished 13th!

Birmingham spent £4/5 million in 2/3 years and finished 9th. Money doesn’t buy you a good league position.

• tdt

Aug 18, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Well said HLT @28. Gradual, sustainable growth is the key.

For example, if I was offered 17th place this season, 15th next year, 12th the following year, 8th the year after and 5th the year after that, I’d take it.

This can and will be achieved by being sensible with spending: the higher we finish one year the more we can sensibly spend the following year.

Simples.

• Magpietillidie22

Aug 18, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Howay the lads –

fair point, but i did say assuming benny was there. So if bennys there our el capiton will replace guthrie (unfortunately) if benny doesnt sign then Nolan will go in bennys place

• Magpietillidie22

Aug 18, 2010 at 3:06 PM

tdt –

I think hand on heart, everyone can except that.

But spending isnt just for the likes of the teams in european spots. Wolves are 2nd highest spenders this year and stoke paid out 8m for kenwyn jones.

To stay in the premiership we will need, 110%, at the very least 3 more players. I dont care if their loans either. But for this club to even achieve 17th we need three more.

We have no creativity or pace in the middle, it was visible last year in the championship now its just bloody unmissable in the prem lol