Are Newcastle After Per Ciljan Skjelbred Again?

News today that Norwegian International Per Ciljan Skjelbred, a Newcastle United supporter since he was a boy, is supposedly back on the radar screen of Newcastle United.

Per Ciljan Skjelbred – Newcastle interested – again?

The Evening Chronicle reported today that there are reports in Norway claiming that Newcastle have again sent scouts to check on the 23 year-old midfielder.

The lad has been watched for at least 30 months by Newcastle, but while he was almost brought to Newcastle two years ago, before the explosion happened between Keegan and Wise, nothing has ever materialized and we wonder if this is even a made-up report.

There’s nothing much else happening right now with the Newcastle moves in the transfer market, from what we can tell.

The player is an avid Newcastle fan and would swim across the North sea to play for Newcastle, although he may catch a bit of a chill if he did that.

The Newcastle scouts are said to have watched Skjelbred in action for Rosenborg in their European Champions League game against FC Copenhagen, which the Norwegian side won 2-1, and the player is said to have had a good game.

The 5’9″ midfielder has played 131 times for his Rosenborg club and scored 8 goals, and is a a very skillful player, having played 15 times for his country.

We’re really not too sure these reports have much truth in them – but we could be wrong.

• StuW

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:53 PM

I hope these reports are true. Per is a quality CM, and is a very creative player. If we were to make a bid, the player would not turn us down.

• john_cena163

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Everytime v r linkd with him, bt theres no deal… ., would to c him, arfa ,fir by nxt week…

• Toon XI

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Just another lie to appease NUFC fans.

• wickywoowoo

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Another central midfielder…. just what we need.

• Marzy

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Like him alot, but I don’t think we will get him as we have tried for the last couple of seasons now.
    Be nice to have Fer, Arfa & the possibility of R Keane from spurs, apparently sky bet have odds of 8/1 for joining the toon. lol

• atom

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:08 PM

I am not sure how reliable, but just read on espn that Werder Bremen issued a statement saying that they had no interest in Ben Arfa. By my reckoning, that would leave Newcastle as the last person standing for him. I would love Arfa and Fer in. Not sure what to believe as far as $ available to invest. I don’t think Keane is going anywhere save Spurs bringing in another striker. I think Harry owes us one for Bassong. All pipe dreams likely.

• Robby Bobson

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:12 PM

toon xi…yeh its one big conspiracy, the club put all their effort into controlling the media to make up stories, linking us with unknown norwegien players.

Never seen the lad play, is he going to be more creative than Guthrie or Barton? Seems to have been linked around for a long time and noone has liked him enough to stump up the cash.

Would have defo preferred ben arfa, but at a decent price Sjkelbred could offer us something different .

• GvFalkirk

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:15 PM

If we gonna make an offer for a Rosenborg player I would take 17 year old Markus Henriksen instead. Mutch mutch better talent, but Rosenborg would not sell him i think.

Henriksen is a mature player for his age and are verry calm with the ball, something our players wasn`t aganist Man Utd.

• sweendog

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Don’t think so Ed .. wouldn’t be a bad acquisiton but 6+ mill … not gonna happen .. Arfas still on IMO.. then a striker ..

• ginkoh

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:19 PM

If we have money to spend so why we miss out Ben Arfa ? I don’t know what really happen behind the door but I think it just the rumor again.

However I will be happy if we sign Skejberd. He will be good addition to our squad.

• Obafan

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:20 PM

We are linked with every player. How many times were Arevalo or Fer or Ben Arfa on the verge of signing?

I really am getting frustrated because we need to improve our squad otherwise we might be back at CCC next season.

I cannot understand why Ashley bought the club if he isn’t prepared to invest in it. Investment can be paid back with season ticket or shirt sales. I cannot imagine that he is that stupid or is he?

• hardik

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:25 PM

do anything but beat that sunderaland..

our squad just require on striker

• MacToon

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Believe it when I see it, good player though.

• john_cena163

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:32 PM

• nuttyward

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:34 PM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz yawn yawn
    same old crap being pushed around we should know by now signings are just not going to happen with CASH in charge.
    you may aswell take away the UNITED from newcastle

• geordielad880

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:35 PM

i personally dont think skjbred is better than what we already have, its like veloso who was at sporting, loads of clubs linked to him and ends up at genoa, sjjbred in my opinion is on par with guthrie at best

• ginkoh

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:36 PM

If we can sign both HBA and Skejberd, I will be over the moon. Oh ! wake up man ~~~

• a.l 9

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:39 PM

We should have signed him about 2 years ago, not going to happen now, too much money now.

• MacToon

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Guthrie’s improved massively in the last 12 months and especially since he was moved to the centre. Similar ages similar players in a way, might not be so bad a thing. Maybe prefer this Dutch lad though.

• Chris F

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:46 PM

it’s the chronicle, the only reason they ran this story is because they needed a headline to try and shift more copies of the paper, but are too inept to actually do any investigative reporting, much easier to rehash an old story from ages ago than get off your arse and look for a new one.

• geordielad880

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:48 PM

i would definately prefer the dutch lad, guthrie has improved alot, now hes playing in his correct position, i think currently him and barton should play together in a 4-4-2 they are our best central midfield two.

• nuttyward

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:49 PM

why dont we dip into the blue square premier we just might hit lucky and find a teenager with some promise

• MacToon

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:50 PM

” him and barton should play together in a 4-4-2 they are our best central midfield two.”

at the minute 😉

• geordielad880

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:51 PM

we should have got basham, the lad that went from bolton to blackpool, very decent player, he was on our books and we released him, looked decent at bolton, just didnt get the chances, alot of bolton fans arent happy hes gone, 1m is a decent price

• Sgt. Heagerty

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:52 PM

alright lads, ive made the move from the dutch deal to the norway interest…funny thing is is that the convo here will be the same….HBA

• geordielad880

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:52 PM

mactoon yeah they are at the minute, saying that our other options are smith and nolan, ohhh the joys, we were talking about line-ups for the villa game, we dont have that many options really, its kinda picks itself, bar one or two decisions, right back, and who to pair in central midfield

• Mags

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:53 PM

GV Falkirk (8) Another poster mentioned this lad a couple of days ago.

• geordielad880

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:54 PM

mentioned which lad?? skjbred or basham?

• Partizan

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Leroy Fer just scored in the 78th minute against Gent….could be the match winner

• Sgt. Heagerty

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:58 PM

geordielad,

lol sgt heagerty, so where bouts you actually from?

im from little rock, arkansas. Spent the better part of the last ten years around the world.. 3 years iraq, 1 year in south korea, and the rest between texas, ireland, italy, greece switzerland, etc…the sad thing is of all the places ive never been to england. However, i am currently planning my first trip to tyneside on a week long loan to watch our beloved nufc play and if i like it there then im thinking of making my loan deal perminant since i will be retired from the army in 2 or 3 moths due to my injuries sustained in combat in iraq….

• Toon XI

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Get a clue Bobson. Don’t you realize there is sarcasm in my post.

• kikgras

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:59 PM

I personally think if there is ANY movement in the transfer window it will be in January when were are desperate to stay up…I truly hope I am wrong.

• Toon XI

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Sadly Kikgras I agree with you more and more with each passing day.

• geordielad880

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:03 PM

sgt heagerty

cant say i have ever been to america before, i have been all over europe, but have yet to even go to london, and dont plan on going there either.

So when you planning on coming to the toon?

• Toon XI

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Sarge, you back the Razorbacks?

• Mags

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Geordielad 880 (28)

mentioned which lad?? skjbred or basham?

No Markus Henriksen

• scoundreldays

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Friend of mine who’s dad is part of the scouting team for Tottenham reckons we’re getting Obertan on loan from Man U before the transfer window shuts!

Thoughts?…

• Sgt. Heagerty

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:12 PM

as soon as possible, but have to wait until the army cuts me loose. Ive been rehabbing my injuries since i got medevac out of ramadi back in august 2008. Was trying to stay in and save my career but im an infantryman man and i just cant do it with my injuries…i got tore up pretty good in the last explosion about 15 miles from a little shithole over there called Al-hit. It knocked me out and i suffer from what they call traumatic brain injury. That is from taking multiple concussions over a 4 year period from multiple blasts. Also the last explosion pinned me in the vehicle funny and i have 6 bulging discs in my neck and back. Ac Joint in shoulder tore, plus i get nasty migraines now. The brain injury isnt like it sounds. I mean i dont drool on myself and stuff, it just affected my short term memory, balance and speech. Im working to overcome it but it takes time. as for the physical injuries mate, ill be limping for the rest of my life. But now the army has told me im done, just waiting on my paperwork. Soon as i get it, gonna plan my trip. Looking to be there after christmas sometime between jan and feb….

• Partizan

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Geordielad….Teams like Genoa move forward…unlike Mike Ashley’s Newcastle.

They have a top 4 team with a top manager and a top owner.

This year they bought: Luca Toni,Rafinha,Veloso,Kevin Prince Boateng,Ranochia.

These players just add extra class to their already top class team.

1 2 3 6