Chris Hughton – We Played With Such Intensity Today

Newcastle manager seemed a happy man after his team had outplayed Aston Villa at St. James’ Park this afternoon, and there was no doubt that Newcastle were the dominant team in this game.

Chris Hughton – well satisfied with Newcastle display today

The Newcastle manager talked after the game this afternoon:

“I watched Aston Villa last weekend and thought they were emphatic in everything they did – and we expected a tough game.”

“But once we got the first goal it lifted any fears we might have had and after half-time we managed to keep it going.”

“There was an intensity to our play but you have got to have goalscoring opportunities.”

“We were able to go right through to the end and as it got more open, it suited us more.”

And one eye-opening performance this afternoon was that of 21 year-old Andy Carroll, and the Villa defenders just couldn’t contain the local lad, and Andy ended up with a hat-trick.

Hughton was delighted with Carroll’s contribution and added:

“He is still developing but what he has is great desire and aptitude to improve. He’s a bit of a throwback, a local lad and he took his goals very, very well.” /em>

It’s very true that Andy is still developing as a center-forward, and if he continues with the progress he’s shown, while Chris Hughton has been manager at Newcastle, he will be England’s number one striker very very soon.

• MacToon

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Carroll was immense and the whole team played well except maybe a dodgy 20 mins by Harps.

• GeordieToon89

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:14 PM

yes we certainly played well mr hughton, we have a tough game next week against a team full of fighters and hard workers so lets just keep our feet grounded and hopefully get a good result against wolves and then we can smash blackpool at st james, we can turn st james into a fortress if we play like we did today was absalutley fantastic =] 26 unbeaten and counting

• Thump

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Carroll really opened my eyes today to what he could do. Here’s hoping he’ll keep those performances up and we can start the climb 😀

• Stuart

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:21 PM

If carroll can carry on that form I can see him getting at least 15 this season. I know its only one game though so I shouldnt get carried away lol.

• Thump

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:27 PM

If he can keep that form, I reckon he’ll get a lot more than 15. His game is developing and you can see he’s coming into his own now, in a few years time he should be an England regular.

Well, if he can stay out of nick!

• Martin33

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:33 PM

We just could not be any better today!!!!!
    Keep going!!!

HOWAY THE LADS!!!

• Rich TOON Bristol

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:40 PM

evening gents, sorry if anyones seen it or not but heres our new boy looks alright, what a great game today!!!

• Thump

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:41 PM

“Martins09 // Aug 22, 2010 at 3:04 AM

havent been beaten in over a season because we were playing teams like plymouth, swansea, QPR… we will get a reality check tomorrow am afraid”

We certainly did! 😀

• baro

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:42 PM

We played excellent today, hope we can carry that form into next game and the rest. Carroll brilliant.

• dave 1961

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:47 PM

any one that was not at the game should not get too excited as villa were as bad as we were good some good points was perch & Carroll no anti Ashley negative Routledge’s crossing but we need to keep our feet on the ground as we will not play teams as bad as villa very often, I was hoping for a 2-0 win I did joke to my brother we would score six but was just joking it came as a shock I would have been happy with 1-0, also I have said many times that I don’t think Hughton would make it as premier league manager, but the more I am wrong the happier I will be. I hope he could be our most successful manager of all time, for me if we keep our expectations of him low he has no pressure. roll on next game. i got the crowd correct at just under 44,000. I will count the empty seats on Wednesday to see what we might get against Blackpool currently just over 11,000, so we might have 11,000 more mugs after that game.

• baro

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Finally Williamson had a great game. His tackles were class today. Did anybody catch that he had 2 ASSIST THIS GAME!!?? Both to Andy Carroll. I was really surprised.

• JonathonGutierrez

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:48 PM

right lads, we’ve signed that toite, so whats going on with HatemBA??

• ashleys wallets cobwebs

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:51 PM

we were brilliant today , but just dont want to get to carried away with it , need to follow up this result wednesday and at wolves for it to count , and hope cashley does not know think we dont need reinforcements because we do , but what a performance today !

• GeordieGerman

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Andy Carroll for England… !

I can see that a lot of PL defenders will have problems with him. I can see a lot of PL defenders will spend weeks watching Videos of him.

• GeordieGerman

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:53 PM

JonathonGutierrez…

Fook HBA. If he doesn’t sign then he’s a mug.

• Rich TOON Bristol

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:57 PM

© foto di Giuseppe Celeste/Image Sport

Olympique Marseille sporting director Jose’ Anigo told reporters in France : “Hatem Ben Arfa is for sale and he is not training with the rest of the team anymore. His attitude has worsened and he refused to train, so there is no place for him anymore and we are not paying him. I am in touch with his agents and some clubs that are interested in Ben Arfa. He better find a new club within the next 10 days or so”.

• MacToon

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Thump @8, you see that wum was replying to my post where I said we were unbeaten at home and not such a pushover at SJP 😉

• GeordieGerman

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Oh yeah, Nolan may be slow. But he is were he has to be at the right time.

• JonathonGutierrez

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:59 PM

ahhhhhhhh… he better bloody come to us 😀

• GeordieGerman

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Sky News…

Three of their headlines are aboot us.

See we are a mass, bi, pretty large club. :-))

• Toon1978

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Lads, we have a new Alan Shearer……………..Andy Carroll, happy days.

• Thump

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:12 PM

@MacToon (17): Aye I did lol. He was in a right tantrum with himself like

• GeordieGerman

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Know what makes me happier than our win today?

NOWT… !

• GeordieGerman

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:18 PM

JonathonGutierrez, tell you what m8 I was meant to be decorating the bedroom. I haven’t, because of HBA. The missus was expecting a nice romantic bedroom when she came back from her mums. She came back to a 3/4 stripped bedroom. Because I’ve been glued to my PC bcause of HBA. Now she’s back at her mums and I don’t give a poo poo.

• Toony Montana

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:20 PM

God I HATE the daily mail, is it too much to ask that they write something positive about us after todays performance!!!!

Everyone in the ground saw Joeys celebration and everyone knows what he was refering to, that paper really boils my piss!!!

Great result today, not been this chuffed since we drubbed the Spuds 4-1 and I hope HBA was watching today. 😉

• roe997

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:21 PM

some of the pre match comments were disgraceful today,some right negative twats,writing ourselves off before we have barely kicked a ball.mind we still need reinforcements
    HWTL

• Sgt. Heagerty

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:24 PM

great day boys. from top to bottom great performance.
    joey barton gets my man of the match because he lit
    the fire with that beautiful strike. he has talked
    the talk all off season and the lad has came out
    and backed it up. a big leader of the team. big
    andy was sublime. kev nolan finding the net as
    usual. but unsung hero was perch. didnt play outstanding
    but he did a job. did what was aked of em. jonas
    and enrique unstoppable on that left flank. colo
    and williamson a wall in the middle. rutledge causing
    chaos on right flank. needs to stay under xontrol
    a bit more. and last but not least smitty was an
    enforcer in middle. maybe his best game on tyneside.
    even got forward at times. xisco beautiful ball to carrol
    at the end. geordie toon arfa where are you? that
    performance had to help our cause in signing him.
    any news on geordie toon arfa?

hwtl

• Thump

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:25 PM

@Toony Montana (25): Somebody was going on about it a few articles back (also didn’t know what he meant… sigh). It’s fairly obvious what he was meaning but they’re probably still upset about being banned from SJP.

I would have went for it and said something like “Aye, it was revenge for that disallowed goal against Germany”. Idiots!

• JonathonGutierrez

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:29 PM

so no new news today at all on HBA?
    craigcoozy not given us any updates?

• ginkoh

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Perfect ! Perfect game for us and Carroll !

3 Points, Clean sheet, 6 Goals, Hat trick from New our No.9. What the awesome !!

• dave 1961

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:38 PM

roe997 everyone is entitled to an opinion and if the only comments that are allowed are one that keep you happy it would get very boring i seen 1 person predict a 6-0 win but I think they were joking villa today were awful and got what they deserved, we will be lucky if we play a worse team this season than villa.

• midlandstoon

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:45 PM

any hba news and anyone else in pipeline?

• Toon1978

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:46 PM

NUFC were awesome today and so was PERCH. He has been criticised the last few day because of his game at Manure, how many full back are going to get any joy from a team like that for god sake. The kid had a good game but the players that stood out for me today was Carroll, Enrique, Barton and Williamson.

• GeordieGerman

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Toon1978 , Ditto

midlandstoon, Who gives a damn?

• MacToon

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:54 PM

GeordieGerman // Aug 22, 2010 at 7:52 PM

midlandstoon, Who gives a damn?

I think your lass does, bet she wished we had bought all the players we need by now and she’d have a lovely newly decorated bedroom 😉

• GeordieGerman

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:59 PM

MacToon, tell you the truth, I’ve been looking for a reason for divorce for quite awhile. Can hardly wait to see the judges face when I say “Ben Arfa”.

🙂

• Toon1978

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:01 PM

To be fair AV could have ahead but it was never a penalty in a million years but Irelands through ball was never offside. However we have been scammed more than most so what goes around comes around.

• nuttyward

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:06 PM

shaving foam out tonight for the lads with a well deserved bottle of champers .
    well done lads keep it up.

KEEP THE FAITH

• GeordieGerman

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Toon1978, Think if we have 100 games were fouls, penaltys, handballs, balls over the line ect aren’t seen we will be quits

• MacToon

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Toon1978, someone said it was for a hand ball and not offside for the villa chance so looking forward to seeing that tonight on motd.

nuttyward, his tache was gone right after the match: