Turnaround Season For Joey Barton – So Far So Good

We are hoping this will be the season when Joey Barton comes of age at Newcastle, in a couple of ways.

Joey Barton – wonderful first goal for Newcastle

First of all that he can get over his dire injury problems he’s had at the club in the three years he’s been on Tyneside, and secondly that he can put behind him his stupid and reckless antics of the past,  and truly be a more mature player and person.

If Joey can do those two things Newcastle will have a very decent season and Joey has certainly made a very good start in the two games so far.

Barton told the Evening Chronicle yesterday:

“As far as the goal is concerned, I just hit it!” “It was important for me. There are a lot of people to prove wrong, people who have said this and that.”“The reality of the situation is this is the first time I have been fit and had a pre-season under my belt at this football club.”

“I have spoken before about how I have a burning ambition to show people what I am capable of.” “I said after the Carlisle game what my ambitions were.” “Those ambitions have still not changed.” “It was just one performance against Aston Villa.”

“I know I have to do it again 36 more times in the Premier League and go on and on and on.” “I am quietly confident I can do that. I am playing in a good side and when you are playing in great team performances it makes it very easy.”

“It is just a pleasure to play with a group of men who have a lot of people to prove wrong.” “Long may the doubters continue to knock us, because that is exactly how we like it.”

And after the game, Barton shaved off his moustache, and the smiling and clean-shaven Joey gave an up-beat interview.

After almost a month of growing the moustache Joey said:

“I did promise I would shave it when we won.” “Some of the lads shaved it off because of threats from the missus.” “I was scared because you see people with them and they must have thought at one stage it did not look ridiculous.”

“It shows what great camaraderie there is here.” “We have read what people have had to say about going down, Andy Gray and people like that.” “You pin those comments up on the dressing-room wall and they are just what we need to inspire us.”

Newcastle have made a good start to the season and the 6-0 win over The Villa will give the lads loads of confidence.

But they cannot get carries away and a good team goes into every match ready for whatever it takes to win the game and Newcastle have two difficult games within the week.

A potential banana skin game at Accrington Stanley tomorrow night  in the Carling Cup, and a tough league game away against fellow relegation battlers Wolves on Saturday afternoon.

Two wins in these  game is what we’d love to see.

• G

Aug 24, 2010 at 9:45 AM

I don’t think Joey’s ability has ever been in doubt, I think everybody has to agree that he is our best current central midfielder. I just hope CH doesn’t get tempted to play him out wide again like last season, as I have never seen a player look so lost. Glad the slug-balancing act is over too.

• macn0ble (Finland)

Aug 24, 2010 at 9:45 AM

2 games played and 36 to go. Call me pessimistic, but i wouldn’t break out the champagne just yet.

• Davies

Aug 24, 2010 at 9:47 AM

I’ve already had the champagne, but it’s okay, I’ve got more.

• G

Aug 24, 2010 at 9:50 AM

I would be happy with the statistic of getting walloped away and giving tonkings at home for the rest of the season. That would leave us with a fairly respectable points haul come the end of the season. I suspect we will no doubt take the odd beating at home and snatch a point or three away at some point though. The champagne is still in the fridge for now though.

• Whumpie

Aug 24, 2010 at 10:25 AM

I’ve been as big a critic of Joey as anyone, but I’m also as keen as anyone that he continues to pull it all together. I want to see him and Guthrie fight it out for that central spot, and possibly both of them in there when we really want to go on full attack.

Early days, but give the lad his due for that game; he was as important as anyone.

• Whumpie

Aug 24, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Oh, and stuff that Champagne stuff. May I recommend a cheeky little number from here in Devon called Pebblebed Brut: far superior, and smells less of cheese-eating-surrender-monkey feet… 🙂

• G

Aug 24, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Fizzy wine in Devon? I thought that was ‘easy-rider’ country down there Whump?

• baz65

Aug 24, 2010 at 11:32 AM

God to see Joey getting his act together both on and off the pitch. I enjoyed his interview with the BBC, he seems so much more relexed now.
    He also has a genuine aim of actually playing football for this club and knows that the club and most of the fans have stood by him when everybody else wanted him kicked out from football. I will be interested to see when / if the club offer him a new deal as he must have about 20 months of his contract left. Mind if he keeps playing like he is then that wont be a problem for the fans ( But not sure about Mr Ashley lol)

• rkw

Aug 24, 2010 at 11:39 AM

I personally have thought the Nay-Sayers have been a bit too loud to start the season, and am supremely happy to see them shut up so resolutely. The lads proved that at home no one is going to come in here and get easy points. I certainly don’t expect 4-6 goals to be the norm, but the bottom ten teams are going to come to SJP with fear and the tops will be coming with trepidation.
    Getting a couple draws and the odd win on the road will be the key to how well this team can actually do. You can leave your Champagne in the fridge, but let’s at least agree that the odds of relegation are getting lower by the second.
    Now show me a win at Wolves and I won’t see any way this group gets sent down this year. A tie and I’ll stick with the slim chance.
    But my overall point is that the detractors need to be much quieter for a while.

• xfer

Aug 24, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Its good to get a positive goal difference of +3 now too.