Attempts To Make Hughton’s Contract A Problem Will Not Work

The Daily Mirror is reporting today that Chris Hughton faces an uncertain future at Newcastle.

Chris Hughton – will get his just rewards – just wait and see

We don’t have to tell Newcastle fans what a great job Chris has done over the last 13 months at the Newcastle club, culminating in a stunning 6-0 win over Aston Villa in the side’s first home league game of the season on Sunday afternoon.  Seeing his reaction to each goal – well for 8 seconds at least before he got his control back –  showed us just how committed Chris is to having Newcastle do well in their season back in the Premier League.

It’s true that the 51-year-old Hughton’s current Newcastle contract – worth only £250K/year – runs only until the end of this season, and initial talks have already taken place over a new deal, but the Mirror is reporting the two sides have failed to agree terms, and the offer made to Hughton is believed to be unsatisfactory.

It means that Hughton’s contract is set to run out at the end of this season, but rather than paint this as a big problem, which the Mirror is doing – we think that a few more points on the board this season, and things will sort themselves out very quickly.

And we wonder why these made up negative stories are coming out right now, after the club had made a very good start back in the Premier League. There was a similar story yesterday , but in the Daily Mail, saying the players were unhappy at the amount of their bonus for the season and that was a big problem – right!

It seems the gossip press are getting just a little worried that things seem to be so settled at the Newcastle United club right now – not good news for them to be sure – because only bad news sells  their papers.

We know that Chris has not signed a new contract yet, and are well aware that negotiations are currently taking place, but from the club’s side of things it’s natural to want to see how Chris does in the first few months of the season, because in the relegation season he was unable to get good results in the league.

However, the lads have looked good and well coached in their first two games of the season – yes – even in the 3-0 beating at the Red Devils the lads played well, and stuck to their task against an admittedly better side.

So we hardly think this is cause for concern with Chris Hughton,  and are quite sure that Chris and his assistant Colin Calderwood, will get a good new contract soon – and before the end of the year too.

So is this a problem? You’ve got to be kidding.

Howay The Lads!!

• Tom4Nufc

Aug 25, 2010 at 12:17 AM

If we are away from the relegation zone come January I would give CH and CC a 2 year extension deal each 🙂

• Toon XI

Aug 25, 2010 at 12:17 AM

I know I have hammered CH as of late for his tactical abilities. Nevertheless I hate to see the press print crap about him. He deserves his rightful shot and has the backing of the Toon Army. I hope he exceeds all of our expectations as he has done a tremendous job uniting the squad.

• Brisvegas

Aug 25, 2010 at 12:53 AM

That’s a bit better, Ed. Prefer it if you had the last bit first, but it’s a step in the right direction.

Good work.

• Brisvegas

Aug 25, 2010 at 12:59 AM

I think Hughton has done a fantastic job so far and I hope he is handsomely rewarded for his efforts last year. And he’s obviously got the backing of the players.

However, he has still to prove he can match it tactically with the best in England.

• slazberger

Aug 25, 2010 at 1:19 AM

the papers made a big deal about the contract he was on at the start of last year and that all worked out fine, just papers trying to sell papers with mountain headlines from molehill stories

• bluegreen

Aug 25, 2010 at 5:22 AM

As a bcfc fan just wanted to say its great to have Newcastle back in the top flight where they belong, magic club, magic fans, magic stadium good luck for 2010/11

• xfer

Aug 25, 2010 at 5:52 AM

Another bullshit from the press.

• Darling27

Aug 25, 2010 at 6:39 AM

What a load of rubbish!!!

• Ericles

Aug 25, 2010 at 7:08 AM

Well said Toon XI. Once again the grub street press are playing their anti-NUFC card. What’s new? CH and the players are beginning to show that they alongside us the fans are going to upset the applecart in the Premier. They do not like it.
    The media thus resorts to smear tactics and innuendo to decry CH and the club. I ignore them. We do not have to let these paper pundits into St James do we? These hack reporters and editors do not pull on a black and white shirt so they are irrelevant. Our truth will out on the pitch and in the Premier table. Howay the lads and a good win tonight.

• noir9

Aug 25, 2010 at 7:55 AM

Ericles – think you’ve hit the nail on the head, the media think they tell people what to think & this is just another pathetic attempt to re-inforce the negative opinion that many people have about the toon & stir-up trouble. It’s really just like an annoying background noise & as you say “irrelevant”.

• Solaidback

Aug 25, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Well said, well apart from Brivegas that is.. lol 😉

Only kidding fella, it doesn’t matter what the TOON do, the crap-loids will always slag us off because our owner/directors don’t give them any juicy gossip to post, so all they can post is complete utter rubbish & try to get us, the fans thinking bad about our club but we all know what’s happened & take no notice of it anymore, it’s just bitterness on the part of the crap-loids… their sportd editors should be shamed of letting these stories be printed, shambolic!!!!

• Captain Beefheart

Aug 25, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Ed, by giving credence to the craploids you are just encouraging them.

Nevertheless, just like last season, Ashley will we very reticent to extend or give a contract until there is a proven Prem record, understandable, and the unexpected demolition of a wayward Villa outfit does not constitute that.

CH was magnificent last year, and might well rise to the highest Prem levels. On the other hand he might go the way of previous promoted coaches (think Dinnis & McFaul) and rely on the cabal of ‘undroppables’ who served so well last year who will not be so clever against top half Prem teams in form. No-one knows, yet.

My concern, and it is a real one, is that Ashley has deliberately withheld realistic funds this summer, and CH just doesn’t have the guts to confront him about it as he doesn’t have the contractual certainty to feel secure in his own position. So if CH succeeds it’s great from Ashley’s perspective, if he fails, then a name (or even no-name) manager will be imported; because at heart Ashley knows f-all about football and even less about politics.

If AC goes the way of Shearer, we can expect him to get some tough treatment on the blind side of refs, which equates to long spells injured. Is Bambi the deputy, or Best, or Ranger? With CH’s preferred 4-5-1, 4-1-4-1 or 4-4-1-1 we need a reliable goal scoring front man and I can’t see any of the three current pretenders hacking it up front in the Prem on evidence to hand.

CH has so far manifestly failed to reel in a Prem class striker despite talk of Boyd, Harewood, Beckford and others, who can take the goal burden off AC’s still unproven shoulders. I suspect his tenure as manager might well depend on acquiring or identifying such a person before the end of the month, because without goals we are going nowhere.

I wish Hoots good luck, not least because I wouldn’t want Ashley as my boss, but mainly because he’s a decent bloke doing a solid job. I just hope it’s enough for the Prem.

• Solaidback

Aug 25, 2010 at 9:20 AM

I personally think we have enough strikers in the team & would only bring in another one if we got rid of 1 or 2 of the current bunch, them being sell Shola & loan out Ranger to Blackpool for the season with conditions, ie if Carroll gets injured, we get Ranger back, plus that would give Ranger the PL experience he needs for him to do a job for us in a year or 2’s time 🙂
    I also think that Loverboy is good enough to hack it in the PL, just wish he was able to get some playing time up front with Carroll or just behind in that Nolan slot, just to get his season off to a start… he’ll come good for us.. 🙂

• tynesidetommo

Aug 25, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Christ I get well sick of this conspiracy crap. We can’t always shoot the messenger just cos you read stuff you’d rather not see. Let’s be honest. Ed’s a bit of a spin doctor himself.
    Frankly, I’m convinced half the bloggers on this site have difficulty understanding words of more than one syllable so it’s a bit rich reading some of their jibes.

• Solaidback

Aug 25, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Wads a syllable???

Only kidding fella, I know what you mean but thats what blogs are written for mate, so that people can give their own opinion, as it was pointed out to me yesterday, so what can you do!!! 🙂

• dave 1961

Aug 25, 2010 at 9:39 AM

I would give him a 12 month rolling contract that rewards him for success I have heard it claimed he’s on £200,000 in reality I would doubt anyone really knows, and if he is someone will take him off our hands if we don’t keep him happy. as I have often said I have no expectations of him, but I will never ask for his head, and if he fail it has to be totally, even if it meant relegation, it’s like a good book you don’t stop until you reach the end, we have sacked too many managers too soon.

• Geordiedoonsooth

Aug 25, 2010 at 9:41 AM

I think what CH must be given a lot of credit for is the team spirit & battling qualities of the team and in fact the club as a whole. We very rarely hear anything about Fat Tw*t & Lamearse. CH has quietly gone about brining in decent players in the summer though we could do with a creative MF player. I have to say I had serious doubts about him when he got the job last year but he has & is doing a great job

• rwpoynter

Aug 25, 2010 at 9:47 AM

On Monday, I thought about buying a newspaper to read about are win against Villa, and it would have been the Times, but then I thought,” I’ve seen all the goals on the news, and I have read all about it on this blog”, so I put my money back in my pocket.Like a few contributors on this blog, I don’t buy newspapers anymore. In all honesty, if Ed did not pick up the scraps from the press the blog would be pretty thin on content so I wouldn’t knock him and I know that there are a lot of monosyllabic replies and some people do use it to have a private conversation between themselves but it does provide a “forum” for opinions. There are a lot of guys (possibly gals too) who clearly are very well informed (better than me)not only about NUFC players but also about potential targets from other clubs. Filter out the nonsense and there is a wealth of good stuff on this blog and I wouldn’t be a t all surprised if CH and MA “peek” into it occasionally to get a consensus of opinion on things. Keep going Ed.

• Stevo

Aug 25, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Desperation!!! Actually brings a smile to my face at the fact the gutter press are frantically squirming around in their own sh*te, trying to find something bad about NUFC to report. Hahahaha.

• d_craig

Aug 25, 2010 at 10:06 AM

hello boys todays the day

• Stevo

Aug 25, 2010 at 10:12 AM

d_craig – Are you referring to HBA?

• midlandstoon

Aug 25, 2010 at 10:17 AM

d_craig does anything u say come true! I remember you getting stick last transfer window,

• Solaidback

Aug 25, 2010 at 10:39 AM

d_craig – are you the real David Craig, Crap-loid reporter who gets nowt right until after its happened or just a imposter who thinks he’s know when things are gonna happen???

• MacToon