Chris Hughton Pleased With Newcastle Youngsters

Chris Hughton has to be pleased with the performance of his youngsters last night, as they played well to beat a dogged and good Accrington Stanley side 3-2 at the Crown ground.

Ryan Taylor – terrific first goal for Newcastle from 35 yards out

Manager Hughtonn was extremely pleased with the way his youngsters applied themselves to what was a difficult task last night, and they came through with flying colors, although a goal in injury time by the home side made the last two minutes a little hectic.

This is what Chris had to say about the boys:

“We came here with a young side and there was a risk in that but we felt we would have enough quality to get to the next round,”

“We could have made it more comfortable for ourselves, particularly in the second half but it was the cup tie we expected.”

Newcastle went ahead after 36 minutes with a terrific 35 yard right foot drive from Ryan Taylor that literally flew into the net.

Putterrill almost matched that with a very good first half injury time goal, with a great 25 yard drive that gave goalkeeper Tim Krul no chance, and had the scores level 1-1 at the half.

But a good opportunist goal from Shola Ameobi after 48 minutes and Peter Lovenkrands’ first goal of the season on 67 minutes made it reasonably comfortable for Newcastle,  although Tim Krul had to make three good saves in the last 20 minutes to preserve the two goal lead.

But then after 3 minutes of injury time,  Accrington did get their second goal though Hessey,  and the last minute or so was just a little hectic for the youngsters,  but they held on for a very good win and a good performance.

The only substitution was when Kevin Nolan came on in injury time for the injured Haris Vuckic,  so the lads that started the game played the full 90 minutes, and  it will do them the world of good as far as the experience goes.

Ryan Taylor, Tim Krul, Tamas Kadar and LuaLua all impressed in what was a solid performance from the Newcastle side.

• slazberger

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:27 AM

i would put ranger in the list of good performers ed. i voted for him on your poll then realised he should of done better for there first goal

• Mags

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:41 AM

Back from the match and I would have picked young Tavernier as our stand out player, he had an outstanding game and is so composed and reads the game very well. His positional sense for a young player is excellent. Tamas Kadar and Tim Krul stood out for me too, along with Lua Lua.

Shows how different people see different things in a game, I thought young Ranger was poor tonight and he was at fault for their second goal. Part of the time he looked disinterested to me.

However all in all, well done the kids.

Shows how we all see things differently, as I thought Ranger was poor tonight.

• toonboyjake

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:45 AM

no-one has mentioned donaldson that i’ve seen, he was out of position and to me had a pretty solid game no frills but got the job done none the less

• umermaliknz

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:46 AM

A few players were alright. Traverneir, Ranger, Lua Lua and Ferguson as well as Kadar. Apart from lua Lua no one had a stellar performance, not one wreaking of a first team call up.

Lovernkrands goals was well taken I reckon. Raylors goal.. well what can I say.

I hope Vuckic improves in the next game and starts being the player that comes on for Nolan at the end of games.. playing just behind carroll.

Lua Lua should be deff get some game time at blackpool atleast!

• slazberger

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:54 AM

can anyone give me help on posting comments on the daily mail stories. i have tried several times with no success even though i agree to the terms and don’t swear.

• repo

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:54 AM

shola was crap time after time yes he scored but come on who does think he’s a good player he is totaly crap..

• slazberger

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:56 AM

a thought all of our goal scorers where quiet tonight apart from the goals obviously. i would have expected them as experienced players to be able to control the game

• Sav

Aug 26, 2010 at 1:03 AM

Lovenkrands was very quiet, apart from the goal. But while Ranger seemed ready to throw a strop late on, you couldn’t say he was uninterested. I thought he showed great effort in an unfamiliar role. Ask the AS fullback if he found Ranger uninterested. And he got back in midfield and defence to help out throughout. He has a prodigious leap, too and could have scored 3 on another night.

• MacToon

Aug 26, 2010 at 1:15 AM

OK, game over, who we bought who we selling? 🙂

Seriously though, toonruz has disappeared after hassling us all day about signing some French player ( 🙂 ) and now we have loads of rumours because of STaylor possibly going…..

In a way I’m glad I’m going away this weekend because of all the rubbish spouted but will miss the run up to the end of the transfer window 🙁

What day and time does the window shut? anyone?

• slazberger

Aug 26, 2010 at 1:18 AM

5 pm tuesday mactoon

• slazberger

Aug 26, 2010 at 1:23 AM

tiote work permit decision tomorrow according to bbc

• slazberger

Aug 26, 2010 at 1:24 AM

*thursday*

• JerseyGeordie

Aug 26, 2010 at 1:55 AM

that stanley team was piss poor.
    None of the young lads had a game that would turn CH’s head.
    Ranger looks a bit out of shape and lacking pace but his work rate is great. He still has the same problem he’s had since joining the 1st team, finishing.
    Lua lua showed some good flashes but didn’t look like he was in control much of the time. His ability to kick well with both feet is very promising.
    Vuckic and donaldson were useless in mid field. Both are a long way away imo. Haris’ willingness to put in a tackle was very good to see but still took far to long to make descisions on the ball against a slow team that he should’ve picked apart with his “ability”.
    Taverneir looks really classy and to me looked the best prospect on the pitch tonight. Made quick and quality descision and was calm and in control, which is surprising to see in an 18 yr old.
    Kadar and fergie looked just ok and frankly thats not good enough against a side that poor. Kadar wandered a bit, and really didn’t look fluid at all defending. I thought he was further along than he looked. Maybe still slowed by his injury.
    Ryan’s goal was beautiful but he would never have the time he had to get that off in a prem game. He was very solid for me in distributing the ball, and is probly our best passer full stop.
    Mcloven and shola really didn’t have too much to do this game as our poor mid couldn’t control possesion.
    I thought krul was ready for the no. 1 shirt but he still makes too many bad descisions. He saved a hand full of strikes that harper would struggle with but it’s a choice now of shot stopper (krul) or steady keeping (harps)
    the potential was obviously there, and a few of those lads might even be special one day. But the game to me proved, it won’t be this year.

• Howay The Lads

Aug 26, 2010 at 2:37 AM

Jersey, agree 99%. Except I think Donaldson had a really good first half, especially as he’s a striker. He was very clever and kept just dropping into defensive midfield to give another option.

Kadar probably just had a bad game as he’s played better against better. Tavernier, I’ve said for awhile, could definitely be a canny player and I think proved that tonight (don’t forget he’s actually a RB).

Ferguson and Vuckic were pretty anonymous and never seemed to get into the game. Hopefully a few Vuckic lovers will quieten down a little now.

Ranger was alright and there is clearly talent, but he was very poor defensively and I thoroughly hope Chris doesn’t play him on the wing in the EPL. Krul was also alright, but sometimes I wonder ‘Can he have got to that?’ Also his judgement is still 50-50 at best.

Raylor should be given a chance if Perch goes dodgy again. I like him a lot and I think he’s improved a lot too. Every time he’s given the chance he takes it and does well, but is still never first choice.
    Loverman was alright. Ameobi was Ameobi; no effort yet gets a goal!

Finally, by far my MoM, Kazenga LuaLua. TBH, I didn’t think he’d make it after I saw him at Brighton,but he impressed me a lot today. He can use both feet, which I adore in footballers, especially wingers. He had a very good shot that just swerved wide at the last second. He has a bit of pace too! Previously is thought his final ball was always poor, but he did some class crosses and really deserved a goal. If anyone should have moved up the rankings after that game, it’s LuaLua.

Howay The Lads

• Brutooon

Aug 26, 2010 at 3:14 AM

vuckic and donaldson both attacking mid/2nd striker – thats why they remain anonymous at the game. Vuckic should hold more of the ball and seem like he afraid to take on people

LuaLua and Ranger both promising. I rather had Ranger than Ameobi on thi time

• rkw

Aug 26, 2010 at 3:48 AM

I thought Lualua looked good. I was angry at Nile 3 times during the game, twice when he was unable to make effect defense (which you can’t get too angry about, he IS a striker after all), but the third time was toward the end when he flopped in the box trying to draw a penalty when we’re up 2. I felt that that play inspired the Stanley team and lifted them up to their second goal. That’s poor play in the closing minutes, game should have ended 3-1…

• Thump

Aug 26, 2010 at 3:52 AM

I was out getting a tattoo can’t wait for the game to get on the net!

• iamnufc

Aug 26, 2010 at 5:14 AM

Hey guys any idea of the extent of the injury to vuckic and xisco? do you all feel that the taylor saga will affect our team’s performance??

• Ericles

Aug 26, 2010 at 7:21 AM

A very good performance by the lads. They showed determinism and great promise in a well fought game. I believe we have really good ones in Lua Lua, Krul, and the restof the youngsters once we settled down. I would also like to congratulate the Accrington Stanley players for their determined and unflagging performance. In addition I want to pay recognition for the lovely gesture by their supporters – I mean the banner saying “RIP Sir Bobby Robson”. It shows that fans around Britain can still show what football is really all about.

• StevieGee

Aug 26, 2010 at 7:46 AM

Overall I thought it was a positive performance last night. I think we looked a bit nervy for the first 20 mins before we settled down.

My main gripe is with Shola. Whenever I watch him play he’s constantly falling on the floor if he gets the slightest tap from a defender and throwing his hands up in the air while the play is continuing around him. Half the time the ball is bobbling around in front of him and he could play advantage and argue about the decision later if needs be.

Oba Martins used to do the same and it reeks of drama queen behaviour if you ask me. Play to the whistle… Isn’t that one of the oldest rules in the book? You can’t stop playing while the game continues around you as it’s at these times when the opposition run up the pitch and scores at the other end.

Sorry gripe over. I was a dit disappointed with Vuckic’s performance, he gave the ball away a bit although you can see the potential there as he looks strong on the ball and well built. He didn’t look match fit or confident to me.

Lua lua was a threat and he was probably my pick of the youngsters. Shame he didn’t get his goal.

• Visten

Aug 26, 2010 at 7:59 AM

The lads played well against a determined AS side. The standout player was Lua Lua but that is not difficult because he has pace in a game that had none. I also thought Tavernier was excellent at the back along with Kadar. Vuckic was the big disappointment and looked scared to unleash his talent. He is a big strong lad for 18 that has pace, touch and finishing abilty but I am not so sure about his passing, maybe he is a second striker rather than a AM ?

• StevieGee

Aug 26, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Daily Wail reckon we’re in for Boyata and RSC. They also reckon Cleverley might be going to Bolton? I thought Fergie had poo poo’d him going out on loan?

• alex84

Aug 26, 2010 at 8:49 AM

• Rotonda heights

Aug 26, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Lua Lua was an absolute revelation. People have always called him a ”headless chicken”, but I thought he was anything but. Blistering pace and great crosses with either foot. Now the talk of Ben Arfa has died down, maybe we could look at Lua as an impact player coming off the bench ? Anyone with that kind of pace is an asset against tiring defenders.

Krul is absolutely fantastic too, but Vuckic was a bit anonymous after all the hype.

• davis_toons

Aug 26, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Mags

“I thought young Ranger was poor tonight and he was at fault for their second goal.”

Agreed!
    he was at fault for their second goal, he dont have 100% concentration.

• davis_toons

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:02 AM

This game really suit Lua Lua style of play, esp his dribbling style.

If it was tight marking, it will be very different for him.

He will not be able to turn the player and run into space on the right to create problem.

• davis_toons

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:03 AM

He will not be able to turn the player and run into space on the LEFT to create problem.

• billy the fish

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:09 AM

so deal finally agreed with Marseille then…….by both us and Werder Bremen according to l’equipe.
    Lets hope the ben arfa saga ends with him wearing black and white. At the very least lets hope the speculation ends today

• davybtoon

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Let’s hope it ain’t bout cash n he chooses prem over bundisliga, I hope he comes here comon hba make the ryt choice black n white

• Mags

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Davis_Toons.

I am glad someone else agrees as the majority of the bloggers were singing his praises so highly, I thought it was me missing something!!!

I saw him every game at the beginning of last season and he was a revelation. He played with a smile on his face and worked his a*** off with no little skill and bags of promise.

Maybe I am being harsh on just one game, but the kid I saw out there last night was a shadow of that player.

I have heard all the rumours about his off-field behaviour and wonder is that affecting him?

• Ericles

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Give Lua Lua more chances with the first team and forget about Ben Arfa.

• shearermania

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:31 AM

finally….we can stop talkin this poor kid up to be this fantastic star….(vuvkic)……
    he was pis.. poor….this was supposed to be his chance and he was out muscled by accrington stanley players.

Tavernier was good, but almost messed up big time….
    Raylor did well.

Ranger in my eyes did very well as a winger(should have played striker instead of Bambi)
    – he was sloppy at the goal i agree but that was some shot from the stanley player.

best on ground..LUA LUA by a mile.

still none of the kids are even close to be a prem player at the moment

• dashu9

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:34 AM

So its going to end today – the Arfa Saga !

Hope he turns into a magpie today .. fingers crossed.

• NUFC_Richyg01

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:36 AM

I think Lua Lua was outstanding, Ranger had a good game too, its good to know that, even without spending money, we still have some quality coming through the ranks.

I see this morning that we have put a £5m price tag on Saylor.

I also shat myself when I saw this headline, “Newcastle hoping to keep want away striker”.
    Until I realised it was just the scouse media being stupid: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/amateur-football/2010/08/26/newcastle-hoping-to-keep-want-away-striker-100252-27140133/

I see this morning we have submitted loan bids for Boyata and RSCruz from Citeh

• dashu9

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:37 AM

If he prefers Champions league … then Werder win.

• GeordieTartanArmy

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:40 AM

BLOODY HELL – HOW GOOD IS KAZENGA LUA LUA!!!

• NUFC_Richyg01

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:40 AM

From that article (above) it sounds like Bremen are in the lead for him

• davis_toons

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Mags,

If anyone was watching him very carefully. He just cant concentrated 100% on that game at times.

maybe that’s him weakness as well.

And yes, he did have his “past” off the field as well.