Chris Hughton Talks About Keane And Ben Arfa Moves

Most Newcastle fans will have been a little surprised by yesterday’s news that Newcastle are close to getting Ben Arfa on a season-long loan deal, and also are trying to get Robbie Keane on Tyneside.

Robbie Keane – while on loan at Celtic earlier this year

As far as the Robbie Keane move is concerned, Chris Hughton of course knows the player extremely well, having coached him at Tottenham, and been involved as a coach for the Ireland side too.

Add to that the fact that Spurs manager Harry Redknapp also seems willing to make a deal with Newcastle, a club he almost became manager at back in January of 2008, and the deal may indeed happen.

Hughton talked about the Robbie Keane news  today:

“His name has been mentioned and that is what we would expect at this stage. We are close to the end of the transfer window.”

“He is, though, a player who I know very well. “There is an association there and a connection.”

So Chris is hardly denying that something may be going on behind the scenes with Robbie, Newcastle and Tottenham Hotspur.

Hughton also confirmed there have been some new developments on Ben Arfa, as he said today:

“There have been some discussions with Ben Arfa and at the moment they are still ongoing.” “Ben Arfa is a player who can play in the striker position, the two wide positions or just off the front.”

“We’ve just got to make sure, as I have continually said, that by the time the window shuts we have the squad that is capable of getting us through the down periods when we’ll have injuries.”

It would be just great if Newcastle could tie up this pair of players for next season, and then with already bringing in James Perch, Dan Gosling, Sol Campbell and Cheick Tiote, the club will have significantly strengthened the squad during this transfer window.

We would still need Steven Taylor to sign his new contract by next Tuesday,  and things in Newcastle’s garden could look quite rosy, especially if we can also beat Wolves tomorrow afternoon.

• tynesidetommo

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:35 PM

It would be an amazing coup if we landed both players and what a wonderful way to bring down the curtain on this transfer window. I have been amazed at how Ashley and Chris have conducted themselves. I would like to think it demonstrates how lessons have been learned.
    Now get these lads signed, sort out Taylor, and let’s look forward to a great season. It’s a while since I’ve felt this good about the Toon. Long may it continue.

• a.l 9

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:37 PM

I’ll hold my hand up and admit i’ve been pleasantly suprised by Ashley and co this window, after previously doubting his comitment.

• Magforlife

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:38 PM

keep your powder dry, long way to go. Lets wait till the fat lady sings

• Moreno

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:38 PM

I am really looking forward to the match tomorrow. I always look forward to the match, but with the start we have had and the way things are at the club, I feel more enthused than I have for years.

I think Keane would fit in up here wonderfully and will gain a strong bond with the fans and players

• liam85

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:39 PM

I’ve been happy with the signings in this transfer window. But to get these two would be amazing!
    I like Keane so I would love to see him at Newcastle!
    Come on lads let’s beat wolves!

• liam85

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Is there anywhere to watch this match on TV? I can’t see anywhere?

• NUFC_Richyg01

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Any more on Arfa?

• Solaidback

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Some fans still won’t be happy with that, ethy’ll say we need a RB, a LB to cover Enrique, a winer to cober Jonas & Routledge & maybe another striker too…..

Well if we get these 2 in & its a big ‘IF’ then we have the striker, we also have a player in ARfa who can cover both Routledge & Jonas & after watching the youn lads the other night, I think that youn ferguson who play left back can do the job of cover for Enrique, he did a reat good job imo… 🙂

• xfer

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:43 PM

These two signings would increase our quality significantly!

• Moreno

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Don’t get too excited, we won’t agree personal terms with HBA, he probably wants 80k per week!

• Solaidback

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:47 PM

I’ve got a bad feeling that Cessepool will nab Ben Arfa off us just before we sign him… don’t know why, it’s just a bad feeling!!!!

• Obafan

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:48 PM

If we could land those 2 then it will be a fantastic window for NUFC. I think Ben Arfa will be announced later today and I hope Keane wants to work with his old pal Hughton.

And get rid of overrated Taylor and we will have a good squad.

Come on; here is hoping!!! I know we might get excited when everything is announced, but …

• Marzy

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Great coup if we land HBA & double the cudos if we land Keane aswell?, would love to bring in a left back for cover though but you cant get everthing i suppose!.
    (6) Livefooty.net you can watch live free footy games. hope that helps?
    Come on the toon!!

• GeordieGerman

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:51 PM

@ liam85,

Only one station at the moment, but that rises as other games have been played. Commentry could be foreign though.

• Mr Toon82

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Things are starting to look rosy at the toon!! About time too if fatash can get keane and hba we can start talking about newcastle been a force in the prem league. Maybe a mid table finish this season than push on next season. Come on CH get us back to where we belong

• NUFC_Richyg01

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Metro are speaking favourably about the Keane transfer

• Davies

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Harry says he has no plans to let Keane go and that he’s very much in his plans. He also said that they’re not planning on adding anymore strikers, as Fabiano’s price is “silly money” for a player with only one year left on his contract.

Please don’t say Harry was almost our manager Ed. He was interviewed, nothing more, and then claimed he turned the job down, despite not having been offered it. I dislike him enormously.

• Edd Case

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Moreno // Aug 27, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Behave, it woudln’t have got this far if no deal was going to happen.

You think player, agents and managers / club officials actually bother to meet if there is no prospect of wages being agreed?

Wages will have already been agreed, it’s the other bits that get talked about.
    Image rights, bonuses, release clasuses and so on.
    As wages is the biggest amount of money to talk about, this issue will have been resolved a fair time ago.

HBA will sign for us I’ve always been sure of it.
    Medical today, announcement later.

• Davies

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:57 PM

My source for old steakface’s comments.

• NUFC_Richyg01

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:57 PM

@ Davies // Aug 27, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Nah, Keane has slipped down the pecking order, so much so Harry wants another striker before the window closes!

They are after Klaas-Jan Huntelaar

• GeordieGerman

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:57 PM

If Keane does come it will be great and I know what he will say. I bet he says that it’s been his childhood dream to play for Newcastle.

• Davies

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Don’t get me wrong Richyg – I’d love to see him in black and white. I wished we’d gone for him instead of Owen all those years ago, but I just can’t see steakface letting him go to another EPL side.

Don’t know if Harry remembers it, but before our relegation season we were Spurs’ bogey team. I miss Martins.

• NUFC_Richyg01

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Reports in Italy claim Liverpool are targeting Udinese midfielder Gokhan Inler as a possible replacement for Barcelona-bound Javier Mascherano.

• NUFC_Richyg01

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:05 PM

@ Davies // Aug 27, 2010 at 1:02 PM

I miss Martins too, we should have just sent him on a season’s loan rather than sell him, coz Wolfsberg have sold him again now anyway!

• WesJameson

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Martins, was one of the most over rated players EVER, and by far THE MOST frustrating players of all time, he cant be all that good, if Wolfsburg only wanted him for one season

• StevieGee

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Martins was inconsistent if you ask me. He too often gave the ball away and would give up chasing and shrug his shoulders. He had the occasional good goal and he was quick but he didn’t do it regularly enough for me.

• NUFC_Richyg01

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:12 PM

@ WesJameson // Aug 27, 2010 at 1:10 PM

OK So who would you like upfront with Carroll?

• WesJameson

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:26 PM

@ Every Oba Fan

Not exactly the greatest goal scoring record

• nightfa11

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:28 PM

carroll, ranger, xisco, best, shola, loven and now we want keane?

& hughton plays with only one striker. why are we after him again?

• WesJameson

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:30 PM

someone like Guissepe Rossi(*Spelling) would be awesome

But fair enough NUFC_Richyg01, i see where you are going with this

• AlanJohnson

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:32 PM

I liked martins at the time but he was definitely overrated. However, I think his pace was just enough to unnerve the opposition’s defence which allowed opportunities for others to have a pop at goal and made chances.

• NUFC_Richyg01

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:34 PM

We had Rossi here on loan, he never got a game

• AlanJohnson

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Unfortunately no chance of Rossi again, although i think he’s one of the brighter talents on the continent.

• WesJameson

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:42 PM

i know we had him on loan, but i feel SICK about the LACK of game time he got, he was maybe a bit “wet behind the ears” when we had him, but we should DEFF have kept him

• AlanJohnson

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Aye, he was only 17 wasn’t he? Still was up there with the best, always was gonna be a prospect.

• Tom_Toon

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Personally I do nt want Keane in the slightest and dont rate him as a player, nor as a person.

I would like Ben Arfa to sign tho.

• WesJameson

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Any other names? That could of done a job for us?

• NUFC_Richyg01

Aug 27, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Benjani, Jo, David Ngog

• korn8

Aug 27, 2010 at 2:26 PM

this is like christmas day 😉
    we have waited patiently for this(more or less)

• NUFC_Richyg01

Aug 27, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Tottenham are set to test Aston Villa’s resolve over Ashley Young by making a firm offer for the England international, skysports.com understands.

More reason for Keane to leave!