Hughton Thanks Ashley And LLambias For 100% Backing

It would appear that the only player on Newcastle’s radar screen in the last two days of the transfer market is Robbie Keane.

Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias – another good transfer window

Chris Hughton told the Sunday Sun this morning that he has ended Newcastle’s interest in Manchester City players Dedryck Boyota, Roque Santa Cruz and Ecuador striker Felipe Caceido.

And the Newcastle manager seems have been pleased with  the business he has done in the transfer market to date, culminating in the capture of French International Hatem Ben Arfa on loan and Ivory Coast International Cheick Tiote,  in the last few days.

There has been some financial tightening  at Newcastle this summer, but that was long overdue, as Premier League clubs get ready to balance their books, and await the introduction of  UEFA Present Michel Platini’s new financial restrictions.

Several of Hughton’s targets were not captured because they were just too expensive, but he was able to bring in a good number of his targets and some surprises too. Who would have thought Ben Arfa would arrive at the club, and even hold out for a move for two weeks to his first choice – Newcastle United?

James Perch, Dan Gosling, Sol Campbell, Cheick Tiote and Ben Arfa all for around £5.5M, including loan feee seems like very good business to us.

Football clubs that spend money they don’t have, like Newcastle used to do, are a thing of the past, and will themselves be a thing of the past, as bankruptcy has already befallen clubs like Portsmouth and others.

And it seems that Newcastle have even been sensible, that if  a player that fits into their recruitment strategy became  available,  they were after them – and one case like that was Dan Gosling.

Hughton, who has seen Newcastle off to a steady start this season,  seems  happy with the approach, and he is ready for the odd player that Newcastle will just not be able to capture, because of money demands.

Chris told the Sunday Sun today:

“We know that every club and it’s supporters want to see new players coming in and get frustrated when they don’t,”

“But I have 100 per cent been backed by the board and Mike and Derek. I was never worried that I was going to be short-changed and I said all along that the market would be the way it has.”

“No one has spent millions and millions but we’ve been competitive.”  “From day one they have been very conscious of the fact we need to strengthen and they’ve supported me in that.”

And after a decent draw yesterday at Wolves, which perhaps should have been the full 3 points, Newcastle have made a decent start to the season and in each of the four games so far they have shown the same good football, team spirit and camaraderie that seems to exist at the club under Chris Hughton.

They may not have won yesterday but there was one team playing good football yesterday – and it wasn’t Wolves – but the Staffordshire team ended up with 8 yellow cards and could well be in trouble with the PL.

Chris continued:

“We’re not far off from being where we want to be,” “Whether that changes in the next few days, that depends on circumstances but we’re not far away at all.”

It would seem that Newcastle have one more target – loan signing Robbie Keane, but Newcastle could still surprise us – and not for the first time this summer.

• Toon1978

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:30 AM

It seems we may have an option to buy Keane according to the Sunday Sun.

• john_cena163

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Hope king ashely backs CH likes dis, wen dnt need playr who want money, v neep playrs jst lyk arfa who watns to play 4 newcastle an do sumting 4 newcaste… . We luv u MA only if u support CH wit sum money atleast 10-15mill every transfr…

• Tom4Nufc

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Yer, its reported £6 million though tbh although he is a cracking player I would rather just leave it at the end of the loan. Will be £6 million for a 31 year old :s!

Like I said weeks ago when I suggested this as a viable option, we know we haven’t got much money to spend so, get Keane in on a season long loan and then spend good money on a small, pacey, younger striker than Keane in the next summer window would seem a brilliant idea!

We know apart from this season Ashley plans to spend £20million a year on players, so this to me is the perfect scenario as Keane will cover the problem for a season, in the season we can scout many potential targets and then dip into the kitty next summer when we can say spend 6-10m (just a random figure) on a player like Keane but younger!

• toonster88

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:40 AM

dont realy like keane…but if its what the team needs then i guess lets get him.better him to partner carroll than ameobi.

• toonster88

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:45 AM

how much anyway does ashley seem to spend at January???any clues???

• Tom4Nufc

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Twitter guys reckon Xisco leaving us!

• short trousers

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:47 AM

just to let every one no i changed my name from hitman so you no who i am

• short trousers

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:48 AM

me words not showing

• Toon1978

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:51 AM

We could do with Keane TBH. A season long loan would be the best way to go about it. 6 million pounds for a 31 year old is to much. We should bring him in for a season and then spend the money on a younger fitter striker. Ashley has proved many wrong this window including myself that he is willing to back Hughton and has said in the past that he does plan to spend 20 million pound a year on players but has not been able to do that up to now as he did not do his business properly when buying the club. Maybe we should could the slagging of Ashley and give him a chance to do what he plans with this club because he has given us two good transfer windows. January we brought in Simpson on a permanent and also Williamson who is turning out to be some player. We also brought in Best and Routledge as well. Not a bad few windows with last January and now this window.

• sweendog

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Tom4Nufc .. club said he was injured yet he was training .. so does look like Xisco is away ..

• Toon1978

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:52 AM

That might be because Keane is coming in leaving Xisco very little chance of making the first team.

• short trousers

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:57 AM

ahsleys chopper has just landed

• short trousers

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:01 AM

this is the blog to be on dont no why i ever went on .org like

• GeordieDan

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Could it be that A$hley and Lambiarse have finally worked out how to conduct themselves in a transfer window?

I have to be honest I am very happy with the players we have brought in an Keane would be the icing on the cake.

Agree with Tom4NUFC though in that after the season long loan I’d probably leave it too. £6million for a 31 year old is a lot.

That’s the beauty of how NUFC are doing things now though-where is the risk?

The loan player play well we get a bargain cheap buy at the end of the season. If the play shit we send them packing.

Its win, win for us and very clever of those who have sorted out these deals.

Credit where credit is due.

• short trousers

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:03 AM

workyticket is just using toonsy like he should start his own

• Angryman the Angry fan

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:03 AM

My criticism of mike Ashley in th past has been fair and fully justified in my opinion, an I have always said that if he proves me wrong at any point I would be more than willing to eat a huge slice if humble pie. On top of this if I thougt that he would back the manager and the team in the pitch I would be more than willing to fully vocalise my support for him. I said in recent posts that I would change my opinion of Ashley if he were to sign hba keane and maybe another defender! As it stands he has signed hba, but for the first time I can actually see ma’ is putting the team first. However, 2 swallows and all that. He needs to keep hold of Carroll, Jose etcetc tied down and build around them!! For the first time since he bought the club, I can actually see a wee bit of light at the end of the tunnel………. Please don’t cock up ur good work mr Ashley, continue to speculate to accumulate and you will have 100% backing of the loyalist football fans in the world!! Well done…… Right, now for that humble pie n custard….

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:05 AM

I’m really happy with the signing of HBA.He’s a talented player that should be with Real Madrid but thanks god he’s in the toon now.

I really hope that Keane will sign for us.We really need him for his experience and he’s a goal scorer.It’s not fair to put all the pressure on Carroll to score goals.We need Keane to be a support Carroll when needed like yesterday.Ameobi is not the answer and is only good to play few minutes when needed maybe because of injurie etc.Lovenkrands is another option as backup striker but imo I can see his best when he’s on the wing.I can’t play HBA as a striker.We need to use his ability,pace and creativity in the midfield.

About Sol Campbell I can say again that his experience is needed.I olso hope that Steven Taylor signs a new contract because he always gave his 100% to NUFC because he’s a geordie.I think in defence we’r ok.Williamson and Perch showed that they can handle the EPL.

About Tiote I’m very happy with him too.Gives us other options especialy as def mid.Him and Alan Smith will cover that role.It’s good when you have competition in your team and debt in squad.

IMO to have a complete squad we need a right back that plays like the bull.The bull can go forword with ball and create chances on the left wing.We’r missing that on the right wing ………

I very positive about our team now and I think we have enough quality to finish top 8

• stopper

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Heres a thing – If Keane was in newcastle as it was rumored for a medical the other day why was he on the bench for Spuds yesterday??? Surely if he was at any stage going to come here he would have been watching his prospective team at Wolves

• Toon1978

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:07 AM

We might have landed the most skillfull player the toon has ever had in HBA. I know its only You tube but bloody hell this kid is awesome. His close ball control and skills on the ball will turn defenders inside out then outside in lol. If Hughton can tame this kid and the he takes to life at NUFC and signs on a permanent then we have a gem of a player.

• bignes

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Is anyone else worried Carrol and Jose will be gone by this time next week?

Every time he takes a step forward he taks 5 back so the next few days are going to be crucial

• Toon1978

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:09 AM

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Ashley is doing a superb job these days, v yesterday lifted my self imposed ban on sports direct and bought the new toon top with Carroll 9, the blue with joey, and the White with hatem. If we sign keane, I would go and give big mike a friendly cuddle. I just hope if were still alright after Xmas, he gives mr hughton a new contract!!

• Toon1978

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Shut mannnn lol if that happens all hell would break loose hahaha.

• Penguin PJ

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Chris Hughton has worked under Ray Clemence, Doug Livermore, Osvaldo Ardiles, Gerry Francis, Christian Gross, George Graham, Glenn Hoddle, David Pleat, Jacques Santini ,Martin Jol, Kevin Keegan, Joe Kinnear & Alan Shearer, from 1993 to 2009. He has also served under Brian Kerr as assistant manager of Rep. of Ireland between 2003 -2005. Talk about pedigree. This in my humble opinion, was probably Dennis Wise’s shrewdest signing.

What I can’t accept is that some have accuse him of being a yes man to Ashley. Why is that? Is it because he did his job with minimal fuss, despite the calamity & tsunami in a fish bowl that is Newcastle United FC? Or is it because he conducts in a quiet & unassuming manner that is the opposite of Keegan, Kinnear & Shearer?

Maybe that’s exactly what we need. Someone to lead Saint James by example. Have anyone seen the new Joey B? Even Derek Llambias & Mike Ashley seems…refreshing of late don’t you think?

Whatever happens here on till the end of the season, Chris should always be supported with backing of the fans with unconditional faith & love. He was down in trenches with us all last season. I do not believe he stayed on monetary reasons. Plain & simple, he is a genuine football man who has honest work ethics.

Dare I whisper, we might just have unearth the Irish Arsene Wenger in our backyard? Why else would Sol Campbell turn his back on Champion Leagues adventure & ride out his last hurrah with the man he knew and trust?

Just watch out for the Irish invasion in the future then 🙂

• Dino Cavalcante

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Comment #25,19528,12874_4076955,00.html

We spent £5.7 million on Xisco two years ago, so I believe £6 million for the captain of the Republic of Ireland with a proven record in EPL is much much better!

• Marty-Toon

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:25 AM

They recieved 7 Yellows and we recieved 5.
    Referee was whistle happy but some of the Wolves tackles on Barton waranted a red eventually.

• ArtyH

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Have to say very pleased with the transfer window this year, and praise to the management team too. Seems like M.A is FINALLY getting to grips with how to run a football club. Looks like we have a genuine chance of doing well this season, at least shooting for mid table. The whole setup at NUFC is different to what it has been for years, lets hope this is a good sign for the future.

• balubas1

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:30 AM

I dont understand what’s so wrong with MA ? Is it the old “he’s rich so we hate him” ?

Do some here just hate him b’cause of his disagreement with Keegan? As much as I love Keegan, he has some primadonna traits, and might be difficult to work with.

MA is doing a fine job for us. And he seems more down to earth than many other clubowners.

His new financial structure in the club is also good work. It brings stability and predictableness. But I am also sure that if NUFC should achieve some success in the EPL over the next years, MA will also up the ante when it comes to transfer fees and wages.

• marshy

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:32 AM

I too have been a harsh critic of ashley but must admit to being pleased with the signings so far,so why the change .maybe a takeover in the other thing garth crooks mentioned on BBC’s final score that manure are monitering andy carrol.

• Toon1978

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Manure and Arsenal can f..k off. This is what really p1sses me off to the max. As soon as a good player arrives on the scene the big boys come sniffing. Its a disgrace. I cannot see Carroll going anywhere he is the future of the club. We need Carroll and under no circumstances should Carroll be sold. I think its just pundits and the like on the wind up. Hughton is building a team right now so why would he stand by and let Carroll go . Ohhh yeah get yourself in there Ferguson and take Carroll. hahaha f..k off.

• The Entertainers

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Well done Mike, Derek and Chris…….cant believe i’m saying this.

My opinion changes on the boys in charge so often over the past few seasons. Heay it wouldnt be NUFC if i didnt, at least i’m consistantly inconsistant !

Great signings everyone and Keane would be fantastic, really looking forward to seeing the French lad play, we have an history of stroppy french wingers, but they always are worth watching!

Come Craigcoozy, let me know when Keano is in town!

• Toon1978

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Keane and Carroll up front will be something else as well as HBA sitting in behind. And then we will have the protection of Smith or Tiote sitting in a defensive midfield role. Future is looking bright lol.

• Captain Beefheart

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:44 AM

NUFC fans have had a raw deal over the years as millions of their hard earned has been ploughed into a club that seemingly had little time for consistent team building. The moment we finally landed a saint, we sacked him for failing to qualify for Europe.

It’s no the wonder the wounds are raw and it will take some time before Chris himself will get 100% support, as he remains in SBR’s shadow. This is NOT his fault, but it is understandable after a succession of trophy signings, poor managers and 55 years since a domestic trophy.

Nobody will ever trust Ashley, no sooner do we slightly warm to him than he wants to erect 6 bloody great sports direct signs to cheapen the noble architecture of our temple on the hill. Can you imagine Durham Cathedral getting planning permission for an Ikea balloon?

CH, I think, understands this dichotomy. He’s no spring chicken, and this is a job that needs experience of life as well as football. My concern is that he appears to fail to stand his ground vs Ashley, but that is a view from the outside and without evidence. I was very concerned up to last week about our lack of team building, which has (at the eleventh hour) been sorted.

Penguin PJ@24 pens a very touching message of support for CH, much of it I applaud. However, no fan will ever give CH ‘unconditional faith and love’, in fact I don’t think he would even want that. To coin a phrase, judge him fairly on his results, and I think that will be more than enough to ensure a long and successful tenure.

• marshy

Aug 29, 2010 at 12:08 PM

toon 1978,I agree with you about caroll but if a good offer came in would ashley sell,that is the question?

• moonraker

Aug 29, 2010 at 12:22 PM

bignes @ 20

Are you f***ing mad!

• SCAMarkHollandToon

Aug 29, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Actually jealous of @Geordie-Gerrard7, need to still get my tops, Gerrard mate great picks and Ben Arfa is No 37 😀

• cupiddstunt

Aug 29, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Toon1978 @ # 19 I can only assume that you are about 15 yrs old otherwise I do not think you would be saying that about the most skilful player to play for the toon, our very own Pedro was a better player in my opinion, although “Arfa mo” may yet develop into someone as good as that. If you want to stick with the French then Ginola was better than Arfa is at the moment.

• GeordieGerman

Aug 29, 2010 at 12:41 PM

I said that about Xisco 2 days ago and one of you said no way.

• dave 1961

Aug 29, 2010 at 12:52 PM

those that think Mike Ashley will now sell players, why would he do this, he is building a team for the future, he does not need to sell, he is wealthy man. yes like everyone else he has a budget, but we are finally heading in the right direction, he will not do anything to jeopardise this, and as for the 6 advertising billboards, Mike Ashley gets his income from sports direct, the more sports direct makes the more mike Ashley makes, the more disposable income he has to spend on his & our football club. mike Ashley shot himself in the foot with the mistakes he made, in my opinion its now debt paid in full, let’s move forward to the next stage, and not shoot ourselves in the foot over these billboards. for god’s sake we are not mackems, at least I’m not.

• Davies

Aug 29, 2010 at 1:26 PM

I couldn’t give a s**t about the billboards Beefy. I’ve never been in the anti Ashley brigade, though I’ve been as annoyed by many of the mistakes he’s made since his arrival as anyone else.

I think he’s doing alright now and has been since the beginning of last season. Don’t understand why people still feel the need to moan about him.

I can imagine Nolan holding aloft the Premier League trophy and some on here still slagging Ashley off because we haven’t won the Champions League instead.

When will the owner have done enough?
    When he continues to back his manager?
    When we win the Champions league (it could happen one day!!!)?
    ..or when he sells up and we take on a new owner we know nothing about yet?

Give the man a break.