The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Barton Showed Good Discipline On Saturday Among The Wolves

10:50 am, Monday, August 30th, 2010 by Ed Harrison · 43 Comments

Whether Joey Barton knew it or not on Saturday, he came through the match at Wolves with some decent credit, for at least keeping hos cool, after some vicious tackling from the Wolves’ players, purely meant to incite Joey.

Joey Barton - kept his cool on Saturday

Barton was on the receiving end of some committed challenges during the game, but Newcastle manager Chris Hughton seemed pleased with Joey’s new disciplined approach to his game.

The Magpies manager said after the game:

“I think Joey is aware we want to see more of him on the football pitch.” “He has missed a fair chunk through injury during the last couple of years and I think he is really pleased and grateful to be first and foremost and to be playing.”

“What comes with that is a responsibility to stay on the football pitch.”

“There has never been any doubt about Joey’s ability. It is just making sure he is on the football pitch for as long as we want him.” “His experience and quality and the fact he is in the squad will be crucial.”

Joey did very well on Saturday, although he was always complaining about the rough treatment he was receiving.

The Match of the Day pundits on BBC, including former Newcastle manager and player Alan Shearer, seemed to have a bit of a laugh when they reviewed the many tackles on Joey at Molyneux, since he was on the receiving end of some seemingly suicidal tackling by the Wolves’ players.

Usually, Joey is the one giving out those tackles.

But the tackles were meant to test the character of Joey, who has lost his temper more than once on the football field, but to his credit  he came through the test well on Saturday afternoon, but should probably curtail some of his complaining a little.

As Chris Hughton said after the game – about  the severe Wolves tackling – it’s part and parcel of the English game.

While that’s true, it was still a little dangerous to witness, and players could have been injured from some of the wild tackling we saw  on Saturday afternoon,  right from the very first minute of the game.

Tags: Joey Barton · Newcastle News

43 responses so far ↓

• 1 Magpie_May // Aug 30, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Interview form Karl Henry about Joey Barton !!!

Did Karl Henry has to say something like that !?
    It’s like a suicide trap for him.
    He should learn a bit skill from CH interview.

at first I just hope that match gone and when we have a game against them at home we will keep play well without ‘battle’ like Wolves did but I think I might have a second thought.

with someone already said about what’s kind of ‘hard’ TIOTE is if he get the nod at SJP I hope he ‘take note’ about Karl Henry.

• 2 dublin mag steve // Aug 30, 2010 at 11:09 AM

joey has been getting consistantly better for quite a while now his time on tyneside has been disrupted by injuries and eh oh yeah prison sentences but the new rejuvenated barton is the 1 we hoped we signed in the first place his three premier league games to date have been very good and with form like hes showing at the moment surely certain italian gobshites wont have to beasking spaniards to play for england for too much longer. An international recall cant be too far away. p.s. weve all been happy with transfer window so far dont screw it up by not getting a striker mike.

• 3 listie // Aug 30, 2010 at 11:09 AM

It was dirty dirty Leeds now it’s dirty dirty Wolves, I must take my hat off to Joey he kept his cool when plenty of others wouldn’t have. Shame on MM for getting his players to target Joey rather than play football.

• 4 Muzza // Aug 30, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Gotta say I was a bit angry with the MOTD comments laughing about how hard Joey Barton was being clattered on Saturday. Sure, Joey has asked for trouble in the past but I doubt we’d see them laughing had Henry been battering a Man Utd or Chelsea player, indeed, it would have been a very different story altogether were it any other player in the league who’d been on the receiving end of those and frankly supposed expert pundits should be condemning them instead of making light hearted jokes.

When you have players on the same team shaking each others hands after completing a blatant foul then the ref should have been over to say something; at the very least it shows intent and I hope someone at the FA sticks it to McCarthy for encouraging players to behave like this; I’m all for strong tackles but this took the Michael.

• 5 WesJameson // Aug 30, 2010 at 11:16 AM

First time in a long time (Well Maybe, first time ever) i am so so proud of Joey Barton, pls God, i hope this is the Official NEW joey barton

Howay the Lads

• 6 ArtyH // Aug 30, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Cowardly tactics used by Wolves.
    Credit to Barton.

• 7 magpie6699 // Aug 30, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Posted this on another blog:

Have you seen the comments by Karl Henry? Dear God, how old is he? 6? 7?
    “I got you in the playground and my brother can bash your brother and my conker’s a 99er”.
    By their behaviours, Joey Barton and Chris Hughton have already shown themselves to be bigger men than Mr McHenry and Vuvuzela-voice McCarthy.
    End of story…
    Incidentally, Wolves will have been reported to the FA for having 7 players booked. No doubt they’ll get a stern telling off, 100 lines and a fine of £50.

• 8 WesJameson // Aug 30, 2010 at 11:24 AM

PATHETIC!!!

• 9 g300 // Aug 30, 2010 at 11:29 AM

cant wait until k henry comes to st james barton will get his own back

• 10 a.l 9 // Aug 30, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Realy pathetic, imagine if Barton had done the same, theres no chance in hell he would have been still on the pitch.

I’m not knocking there tactics to be honest, I thought it was dirty but if it works then I cannot blame them, the refereeing (for both sides I may add) was appauling, and Mick McArthy and Henry’s comments after the game are just completely disrespectful.

Just checked the Wolves forums aswell and there fans seem convinced Henry is some kind of hero and his chalanges we’re “hard and fair”.

• 11 GeordieTartanArmy // Aug 30, 2010 at 12:00 PM

to be honest i could have cried when newcastle’s greatest legend SHEARER was actually laughing at how much wolves clattered into barton – shearer deserves a slating for letting the toon down by giving a ‘he deserved it’ edge on this scenario despite the fans sticking by arton through thick and thin
    It is traumatising when your hero lets you down by not sticking up for your team

• 12 Malaysia-RASHID // Aug 30, 2010 at 12:02 PM

let them keep laughing at us, we will keep improve and be strong. About wolve game, yes they very aggressive against us maybe there something personal matter, never mind, we just need to keep improve, and maybe when they relegate, we will laughing them…

p/s- New Joey Barton has been selected as team of the week in sky sport…

Howay The Lads

• 13 dublin mag steve // Aug 30, 2010 at 12:03 PM

lads the clips i saw of tiote on youtube i have to say barton will be the least of henrys worries when they come to toon hes a bleedin savage in the tackle hope hes not a red card merchant. whats all this about wolfwinkle if he was any use hed have been on every1s radar and wed have heard of him b4 now although the mirror are usually there or there abouts with nufc stories since jfks ban on bird was retracted. good auld joe he was a crazy fucker.

• 14 lewman // Aug 30, 2010 at 12:04 PM

alan shearer is only a hero to me for what he did on the pitch. i am in awe of the man but i still think he is an arrogant t1t and the bbc work just makes things worse.

• 15 newcastle10 // Aug 30, 2010 at 12:06 PM

what former players will be booed this season do ye tink

• 16 lewman // Aug 30, 2010 at 12:06 PM

he made team of the week on the bbc aswell rashid, so did big andy

• 17 GeordieToon89 // Aug 30, 2010 at 12:07 PM

anyone else think we should forget keane, forget wolf boy and get Guiseppe Rossi, he’s going for around same price between 8 and 9 million and i think he’s better than both players =] plus he’s little and quick which is perfect for Carroll imo

• 18 batty // Aug 30, 2010 at 12:08 PM

STARDUST

• 19 dublin mag steve // Aug 30, 2010 at 12:09 PM

lads ive seen clips of tiote on youtube and lets just say that barton is the least of henrys worries hes a savage in the tackle i just hope hes not a red card merchant, dont know about this wolfeswinkle crack although i do give the mirrors stories on nufc some credibility especially since jfks ban on mr bird was lifted good auld joe he was 1 crazy cook.

• 20 batty // Aug 30, 2010 at 12:10 PM

sky say rip van is top scorer in europe at the moment

• 21 a.l 9 // Aug 30, 2010 at 12:11 PM

I agree about Shearer, laughing at the challenges was pretty sad and probably had something to do with there fallout when he was manager.

• 22 lewman // Aug 30, 2010 at 12:12 PM

newcastle10, i think bramble is a must

• 23 Birts // Aug 30, 2010 at 12:13 PM

I think the way wolves played was just disgusting .

The FA should definately have something to say.

The referee was more than shown that he is out of his depth in this game.

• 24 newcastle10 // Aug 30, 2010 at 12:15 PM

ye haha i hope shay given dont get booed

• 25 Birts // Aug 30, 2010 at 12:15 PM

and to be fair the linesmen didnt give the ref much back up neither.

• 26 bettyswollocks // Aug 30, 2010 at 12:27 PM

I think people need to get over the wolves physical approach thing. We sound like a bunch of soft babies if I’m honest. It’s a man’s game and we ain’t exactly got god’s angels anchoring our midfield.

I would like to think that if Arsenal come to the toon and play us off the park for the 1st 20 mins we will adopt a similar approach and stick it up em. I only hope we actually don’t wait for the 20 mins of being played off the park.

On another day a stronger ref may have nipped it in the bud – fair enough. To keep going on about it now though is just a bit childish. And to get on Shearer’s back about the whole thing is a bit pathetic. I actually thought their little clip of 7 fouls was fairly amusing myself and I think Barton will probably be getting plenty of training ground banter about it this week.

Let it go people!

• 27 Edd Case // Aug 30, 2010 at 12:29 PM

• 28 umermaliknz // Aug 30, 2010 at 12:32 PM

‘arry gone mad. let us have keane ‘arry. please ‘arry.pleaseeeeee!

• 29 BeeGuy // Aug 30, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Wolves were certainly after Barton, but better passing & using Joey as a decoy would have had Wolves well out position for Carroll and Nolan to feast on. NUFC needs to be able to change tactics as games progress!

• 30 Malaysia-RASHID // Aug 30, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Edd Case-

that means HBA want to play football in honest way, not for money. Glade to hear about that.

• 31 arcarius // Aug 30, 2010 at 12:37 PM

@bettyswollocks

Stop kidding me!
    God knows anyone 1 of those fcukin tackles could have ended Barton’s career

That thug was not playing football
    Simple as that

• 32 Captain Beefheart // Aug 30, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Most prem refs* wouldn’t allow these cynical tactics against any of the top 6. Can you imagine Wenger being so sanguine as Hoots about it? Nah, me neither, so let’s not even think about replicating it – we have too much skill in the side for that.

* I say most prem refs, but we were talking about Stuart ‘..what goal..?’ Attwell. ‘Nuff said I s’pose?

• 33 Jan Stavik // Aug 30, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Who is Karl Hendry anyway? Looked like a sh|te midfielder to me, he should maybe consider some other sport if he’s just into kicking people around. Football is about kicking the ball, that he hardly did on Saturday.

• 34 a.l 9 // Aug 30, 2010 at 12:47 PM

I wouldn’t want Newcastle to carry on this way with Arsenal AT ALL. Mainly because if we do we will no doubt finish the game with 8-9 men (it’s not every game you end up with a referee so out of his depth it’s not even funny).

I’m all for a hard and fair challenge (i.e Alan Smith), but this was done in the vein for getting Joey sent off, luckily he didn’t bite, but i’m sure Henry, Mick and Shearer wouldn’t have found it so funny if he did react and broke someones ankle.

Anyway we can only take posotives from it, he kept his head well and hopefull in the future referees will have taken note of this and give Barton the rub of the green for a change.

• 35 rwpoynter // Aug 30, 2010 at 12:54 PM

I have to agree with Beefy. For a referee that gave out 12 yellow cards he was surprisingly reluctant to give a red. One or two of those tackles(?) against Barton were totally unjustified and in my book do not come under the label ‘fair’.They were deliberately cynical and intended purely and simply, to provoke Joey into retaliation. To his credit he didn’t. I haven’t always been Joey’s fan as he has done some stupid things in the past, put he seems these days to have changed for the better and he is undoubtedly talented and as such can be a great contributor to this club’s future.As Beefy says,”forget retaliation and move on”.We don’t have to lower our standards to theirs.

• 36 bettyswollocks // Aug 30, 2010 at 1:13 PM

OK one or two of the tackles were out of line – I think must people agree on that. It’s two days later though and people are still moaning about it.

Wolves played hard and I am actually just pleased we were able to stand up to it. And so what if they were trying to wind joey up to get him sent off. I’m afraid he has put that target on his own back and he’ll just have to try and cope with it until teams get the message that he isn’t going to rise to the bait. First test passed with flying colours so well done Joey.

The most disappointing thing for me with regard to barton is the the fact that he has been booked 3 times in 3 games and all of them were pretty soft – if his name wasn’t barton he prob wouldn’t have got any of them.

• 37 gorskino10 // Aug 30, 2010 at 1:23 PM

I don’t know how he kept his cool, i would of attacked Henry! that guy in complete scum hope before this season ends he gets the taste of his own medicine and someone kills off his career, he isnt the ideal role model to set for young players watching the game.

• 38 Captain Beefheart // Aug 30, 2010 at 1:43 PM

@36: ‘And so what if they were trying to wind joey up to get him sent off.’

Winding someone up (or sledging) is one thing, as is hard tackling, deliberately trying to injure is quite another. Only the useless Attwell would have allowed this, and Wolves took full advantage of his failure to protect Barton.

Personally, I think as a fellow member of the PFA Shearer should be ashamed of himself. Jeez he winged enough when it was dished out to him, but he never got it like this. Then again he never did like Barton, so perhaps a bit of personal there as well?

There’s still a long way to go, Joey, but stick with it. I suspect you gained a lot more respect after that 90 minutes than all the interviews in the world could bring you, so don’t blow it.

• 39 bettyswollocks // Aug 30, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Beefy – I agree. My point was teams will target him – especially in the first few months of the season. Hopefully he will get more protection from the refs going forward. Really he just needs to ride the storm.

I still think the reaction to shearer is over the top. When did we become such sensitive little souls? We seem to have turned into cry baby scousers on every little issue that upsets us these days.

• 40 Captain Beefheart // Aug 30, 2010 at 2:44 PM

BW, I see where you are coming from here, and I don’t disagree about avoiding becoming ‘cry baby’ footballers. However there is a line that needs to be drawn, and it needs to be drawn consistently whether the foul be on Arsenal / Man U players or Darlington / Scunthorpe players. Wolves crossed that line, and it needs to stated and noted – only then do we move on.

• 41 stk85 // Aug 30, 2010 at 3:32 PM

barton really is a new person and long may it last. he really seems to just be able to rise above it and whilst he mends his broken reputation, he’s letting his football do the talking.

he did get a yellow card tho, for his first tackle i think, which still means refs and pundits (cheers alan!) will still come down unfairly on him. but joey will change that, he just seems to be a different person.

shame on alan shearer for letting his personal feelings for barton temper his neutrality on that motd sofa. if cattermole had been doing that to lampard all afternoon, i doubtr he’d be laughing.

at least sky are putting him in their teams of the week.

really very impressed with how newcastle united conduct themselves, in all aspects of the club!

• 42 Sav // Aug 31, 2010 at 2:42 AM

Agreed we should forget about it now. Its a man’s game after all and a professional sport so you are going to get players targeted.
    Joey stood up well and perhaps other teams like Wolves won’t bother to try it on after this.
    As for Henry, he doesn’t know when he’s licked and is still trying to get more of the same going at SJP. I’d be disappointed if Hoots allowed our players to get sucked into that. We need to play our own game at SJP and leave Henry bypassed by the football. We don’t want red cards all round – another 6-0 would be the best answer.

• 43 Phil K // Sep 20, 2010 at 12:03 PM

After a few weeks my anger at Shearer’s laughing at Wolves thuggish behaviour has still not waned.
    I didn’t expect it, and I don’t think these half-wits expected the nationwide condemnation for their laughing at such violent play. They probably were as surprised as us at the rags not seeing the funny side especially when these same thugs broke Zamora’s leg the following week.
    And no, I won’t forget.
    I would never EVER have thought my hero, Alan Shearer would stand as low in my opinions as he does now. And, couple of weeks later, no higher.

previous post: LuaLua On Loan To Brighton – Forster Keeps Clean Sheet