Ben Arfa Wanted To Join Newcastle – Cared About Nothing Else

The 23-year-old Ben Arfa has finally arrived at Newcastle, and he talked this morning about the saga to get him here, and we are surprised at just how much he had set his heart on playing for the famous Newcastle United football club.

Ben Arfa – got his wish – signed for Newcastle

This is what Ben Arfa told the Newcastle Journal today:

“Newcastle was always my first choice and everything that has happened over the summer was because I wanted to come here so much,”

“I did not care about anything else.”“Newcastle have a history and a strong identity. There are so many positives about coming here. There are a lot of good players and they try to get the ball down and play good football.”

“I am pleased to be playing in one of the biggest leagues in Europe, which is lively and has some great teams.”

“I have always noticed how much people like football here and you could see that at Wolverhampton at the weekend. In France, there is only one team with a great atmosphere and that is Marseilles; in England it’s every game.”

“I’m starting from scratch in a different country. I have a new country to conquer and it’s a great challenge.”

Ben Arfa has been criticized for the way in which he tried to force Marseilles to accept Newcastle’s loan offer, after falling out with manager Didier Deschamps, and most of the other Marseilles officials it seemed.

But on the other hand the French club seemed to renege on their promise to let him move to another club, and had even asked him to go look for a new club over the summer.

The Newcastle deal had seemed to have ended as he was strongly linked to German club Werder Bremen, but rather amazingly a compromise was reached, and the French youngster got his wish, with a permanent move being on the cards if he plays 25 games this season.

Ben Arfa continued:

“I had no other choice. In my head, my time at Marseille was already over. I didn’t think I had done something stupid, people did not understand what I was going through.”

“Much has been said about me, but I was serious. I wouldn’t have played for a year. It was a tough decision, but I would have spent a year without playing.”   “I’m not a kid, I’m 23. The decisions come from me and only me. I was not manipulated by anyone.”

“It was very hard psychologically. I considered stopping playing football. It made me feel awful, but thankfully it has ended well. For 15 days I didn’t know what would happen, there was a lot of stress, but the experience will make me stronger.”

Well those are good words because what they say about tough experiences in life – if they don’t kill you they will make you stronger – is true.

But now Ben Arfa is not as fit as he could have been and may have to wait to make his Newcastle debut, as he tries to get back to full fitness before the Blackpool game a week come Saturday.

The former Lyon star hopes that his move to England will see him regain his place in the French national squad, after he was left out of this week’s European Championship qualifiers by new manager Laurent Blanc.

Ben Arfa continued:

“I probably missed out on the squad because of this saga. It is up to me to return with my performances.”

“The goal is to resume in October for the games against Romania and Luxembourg. I hope to play my first game for Newcastle in two weeks’ time.”

We look forward to this lad settling down at Newcastle, and becoming a creative force for the Newcastle club on the football pitch.

He will certainly get the support he needs at the Newcastle club, and the fans will no doubt just love him for the way he seems to already know so much about the Newcastle United club.

He’s a terrific singing for Newcastle.

• Nojdani

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:49 AM

can´t wait to see him in action

• nufclewizc

Long Live King Arfa!

• john_cena163

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Guys any transfer news?

• nufclewizc

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:52 AM

good interview and nice article! any transfer news ed??!?

• Mat

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:54 AM

me either. iv seen this guy a lot over the last few years and think he can be vital to the team by adding much needed creativity and pace (Jonas and Routledge asside). never would have thought he would be a newcastle player though; especially after just coming up from Champ.

cant wait for Blackpool!!

• slazberger

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:56 AM

thought a few of you may be interested in this.

• Timmers09

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Reports on sky sports news are saying we are closed for business with the exception of Lua Lua going out 🙁

• NOVA2967

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Lets get Wolfhinkel and Wilson in from Portsmouth.

Let sell Taylor for 5mill with a sell on clause to fulham or somewhere he can grow as a player before being snapped up by a big team.

• Toontastico

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Usually I wouldnt believe much from a footballers fiorst interview but in Fairness to HBA he actually proved he really did want to come here by the way he even flew over off his own bat. Also it is fairly clear there were a good few other teams in for him.

Cant wait to see him play, surely another NUFC legend is on the cards!!

Welcome Hatem, do us proud!

• nufclewizc

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:58 AM

RVW has apparently been saw at the jesmond dene hotel yesterday by someone. and someone else also saw him over the toon. the guys on twitter said that jesmond dene had a new resident but wouldn’t say who it was. and mike ashley said he wanted to make a big name signing so it could be him. and the twitter guy said that todays a important day, watch ssn and talk sports because newcastle might sign a forward, wheter its keane or rvw i don’t know, so. i hope its RVW me i don’t want keane!

• Ericles

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:00 AM

I do not take much notice of Sky Sports News – they are not that famed for accuracy. Waiting to see if Steven Taylor is staying at NUFC, as well as Wolfswinkle arriving.

• ronaldeano

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:02 AM

That kid from Pompey is at Stoke for talks, Liverpool are interested in rick van winkel and the filth are getting Asamoah Gyan. If we end up with nobody elce I won’t be too botherd, but van winkel or keane would be nice

• Timmers09

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Taylor won’t sign or be sold today, he knows no1 will come in for him while he’s injured his future will get resolved in Jan. As for Rip Van Winkle there is no way Ashley will blow 8 million on one player we all realise that surely?!?!?!

• Milzzy Rascal

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:06 AM

I heard the Keane deal is off because the slimey Harry Redknapp wants Andrew Carroll in return.

On your bike you horrible man

• ronaldeano

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Ssn say nufc won’t be bringing in anyone elce. If we didn’t get Ben Arfa I would be pi$$t off, but I’m happy with the players we have signed and I’m VERY happy with the way we have been playing. Onwards and upwards for the toon!

• alex84

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:14 AM

wouldnt be suprised if this is just what there sayin, to do there deals on the sly…good work if it is.

• Toontastico

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:21 AM

“I heard the Keane deal is off because the slimey Harry Redknapp wants Andrew Carroll in return”

Ha ha the cheeky fooker!!!

• john_cena163

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:22 AM

V hav enough players, let our youth get sum chance in the 1st team.

• Toontastico

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:25 AM

dont think ssn have a rats anymore about whats happening at NUFC – They dont seem to have any1 leaking them info anymore unlike the Fat Freddy regime!

• john_cena163

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Jst saw this link. A guy says ricky van wolfwinkel is in newcastle. Wit 7mil transfr.

• xfer

Aug 31, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Great player with a passion to WANT to play for us. Confident we will see him in action against Blackpool.

• baro

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Just can’t wait for him to get in action with a black and white shirt. I promise you guys Newcastle will be a much exciting side to watch with Hatem Ben Arfa. 🙂