Sad News As Jackie Sinclair Passes Away

The Newcastle United club have announced this morning that Jackie Sinclair, who played for Newcastle when we won the Inter-City Fairs Cup in 1969, has passed away after losing his fight against cancer.

The Fairs Cup side recently – all that grey hair

Jackie was 67, and played 52 games for Newcastle from 1967 and 1969, and scored 8 goals, and one of them helped Newcastle beat Glasgow Rangers in the Fairs Cup Semi Final second-leg at St. James’ Park.

Jackie was born in Culross in Fife, and played on the wing for Dunfermline and Leicester City, before arriving on Tyneside for a near record fee of £67.5K in December of 1967.

Jackie left to join Sheffield Wednesday after a two year stay with the Magpies, and he had let it be known recently that he had cancer, and that the outlook was not good.

Newcastle manager Chris Hughton said this on the Newcastle web-site today:

“Everyone at the Club was very saddened to learn of the untimely death of Jackie Sinclair. We knew he had been bravely battling cancer and had been unwell for some time.”

“I’m told Jackie was a terrific player during his time at St. James’ Park and was instrumental in helping the Club win the Fairs Cup back in 1969.”

We offer our condolences to his family,  and thank Jackie for everything he did for the Newcastle United club.

• Monument Mal

Sep 2, 2010 at 11:38 AM

A true old fashioned winger, the likes of which we rarely see these days. Condolences to Jackie’s family

• Edd Case

Sep 2, 2010 at 11:40 AM

A Geordie and a winner.

• MacToon

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Sad news indeed, RIP.

• Phil K

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:18 PM

He leaves us, but his name is remembered as a trophy winner for Newcastle. How bloody few can say that ?

• Phil K

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:23 PM

How about giving us a MUCH bigger pic of that fairs cup winning team ? I’d like it as desktop wallpaper.
    The last VICTORIOUS Newcastle trophy team (and isn’t THAT sad ? 1969 ? Only 14 years after 1955 and the fans THEN felt it a ridculously long wait. 41 years later, STILL nothing donestic…..)

• Sav

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Thank you, Jackie.

• tontoon

Sep 2, 2010 at 6:15 PM

had the pleasure of seeing jackie play,an out and out winger,full of trickery and pace.r i p jackie and thanks for the memorys

• Geordiedoonsooth

Sep 2, 2010 at 7:01 PM

This news make me feel really old I was 20 when we won the Fairs Cup. I played local football on Saturday afternoons so didn’t see many Toon games but I saw all the home games in the Fairs Cup bar 1 (the Ranges Semi I had to work). Along with my mates we queued for hours trying to get a ticket for the Leazes end (the singing end in those days) only to be turned away when about 5 yrtads from the gate. We finally got tickets for the popular side and were there when we beat Upjest Doza 3-0 what a night. The death of Jackie Sinclar is so sad and a realtively young age I think I’ll have a few beers and toast him and those great Fairs Cup nights

• Geordiedoonsooth

Sep 2, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Meant Ujpest Doza

• baro

Sep 2, 2010 at 8:44 PM

R.I.P Jackie

• Doha Mag

Sep 2, 2010 at 9:32 PM

RIP Jackie and condolences to your family

I was just a wee boy for the 68/69 season and managed to get a ticket for the Glasgow Rangers semi-final game in the popular stand.

For the final of the Fairs Cup I was in Leazes End and the atmosphere was FANTASTIC as we beat Ujpest Doza 3-0.

My ex-wife has all the match day programmes from those early days and refuses to hand them over. Oh well, the memories……

Good bye Jackie, gone but never forgotton!

• 619nufc

Sep 2, 2010 at 11:55 PM

As Im only 17, I never got the chance to see him play but from what I’ve seen and heard, he seemed like a great player and man for Newcastle United.

So, for that, I say thank you.

• dyulyur

Sep 9, 2010 at 9:38 AM

It is terrible tragedy that Jackie Sinclair has passed away. You can help remember him by contributing to his memorial website at