Hughton – Hard Work At Newcastle Hasn’t Started Yet

Chris Hughton has come out today and given a good interview to the Sunday Sun, and while he’s quite happy with the Newcastle start so far, he says the hard work hasn’t even started yet.

Chris Hughton – hard work hasn’t even started yet

Chris talked to the Sunday Sun today:

“I have to say I’m pleased with the start so far and, while I don’t want to get carried away, it’s been very encouraging for us,” “We should really be sitting here on six points. The results have been good and in truth I feel the performance really warranted more than we got against Wolves.”

“I think it is not just the fact that we’ve got points on the board, but it is our attitude in those first four games that has really pleased me.”  “We’ve worked hard and carried on where we left off last season.”

“The 6-0 game was fantastic, but I look at other things as well. We went to Old Trafford and lost 3-0 but there were positives to take from that game.” “We had a really big chance before they scored and if that had gone in, it could have been so different.”

“Having said that, I’m wary of talking the team up too much. The hard work hasn’t even begun for us yet really.”  “There’s still a long way to go and there will be a period of the season where results start to go against us, and it will be about how we manage to get through that.”

Newcastle are currently 8th in the table and with 3 points against Blackpool next Saturday, Newcastle should be able to climb even higher in the PL table.

But it’s early days yet, and it’s hard to see any trends in the league  table, and  the other two promotion side, WBA and Blackpool, have done almost as well as Newcastle so far.

Chris continued:

“At the moment we’ve got as many points as Blackpool and only one more than West Brom so we can’t claim we’re doing that much better than the other promoted sides,”

“I’m pleased – really pleased – but we shouldn’t get carried away by it just yet.”

We’ll have a better idea in a month or two as to what type of season Newcastle may have, but if we can avoid a relegation battle, that would be just great.

• Solaidback

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:10 PM

I’m sorry but CH is way to sensible to be a Toon manager, I’m not use to hearing common sense from our managers, not since Sirt Bob was in charge… we’ll have to get rid of him & employ JFK again… lol 😉

CH is going to be a fantastic manager, he’s solaidback & logical, he’s a aloof, calm & doesn’t stress under the gaze of the press… Ashley better get this guys signed up soon or we’ll lose him to another club willing to offer him more!!!

• ganiyu

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:18 PM

3pts from blakpool and 52pts or more a minimum target if they keep scoring goals.anything is possible.a goal scoring mid fielder would help

• Charlietoon

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:30 PM

What like Nolan or Hatem?

• GeordieGerman

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Charlietoon ? Don’t understand your comment.

When is Chris going to be offered a new contract? He’s earned one… !

• Turkish Magpie

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:44 PM

I’ve been doing my sums and reallistically working out results from our next 7 fixtures and i’m very very hopeful of them. i can see us getting 19 or 20 points from 10 games. i then put those scores into BBC score predictor along with other REALISTIC scores and we’ll be 4th with 20 points after 10 games, and that is very reallistic, heres what i predicted

Blackpool (H) WIN
    Everton (A) DRAW
    Chelsea (A) LOSE
    Stoke (H) WIN
    Man City (A) LOSE
    Wigan (H) WIN
    West Ham (A) WIN
    Mackems (H) WIN

TOTAL 16 + 4 = 20 points

• Turkish Magpie

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:45 PM

My only doubts are if West Ham Improve before our game, and if we do something stupid at home which i’m really REALLY hoping doesn’t happen

• atom

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:56 PM

I would take that in a heartbeat

• GeordieGerman

Sep 5, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Who Was Newcastle’s Best Player At Wolves?

Ed, can you tell me how Perch has 1 vote and 1% and Harper has 2 votes and 0%?

• dave 1961

Sep 5, 2010 at 2:34 PM

personally I never wanted Chris Hughton as manager, not because I did not like him, I just felt we could have got a better manager in, now hears the humble pie, throughout history we have individuals that just happen to be in the right place at the right time. in Chris & Colin we seen to have all hit lucky, it seems like the fans Mike Ashley and Chris & Colin were all up the creek at the same time, Chris & Colin had nothing to lose, wiser men would have walked away. what I believe we seen last season was at first they felt their way into the job, the football was not good to watch but we seen 2 blokes that seemed to have luck smile on then, most teams were afraid of everything that’s nufc. I think this had a major bearing on our season, Chris & Colin seemed to become more confident and the team started to play better, and the confidence soared, to such an extent that I became too thing we just could not loose. now Chris & Colin seem to be improving at the same speed as the club as a hole. I went into this season with confidence in the hole setup, from the owner down i feel we all want the same, to the level i have taken away the ban on the wife buying from sports direct, I have confidence that Mike Ashley wants the same as the fans, he will not do a man city as this would be a waste,(buying player paying massive wages find the players can’t be bothered to play then sell them at a huge loss). this would set us back years. all in all Chris has grown into the job, he knows what the fans want he knew all about the history of the club, he’s so well placed to deliver, if we as fans can keep our expectations to a sensible level. and if we have a wobble, instead of shouting for the head of anyone, let’s use are energy to back the club more. as a club we never stand buy a manager, let’s start now, get it in your heads that Chris & Colin have earned the right to manage this (full) season, and lets decide what next step to take on the last day of the season, and for me survival is the bench mark. and also throughout history the best double acts have failed when the split, just hope Chris & Colin realise this, a good assistant manager does not always make a good manager, we all find our place in life I think possibly Colin & Chris could just have had their destiny land on them.

• CT

Sep 5, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Dave1961— Agree with everything you say, but when they got their confidence moving Guthrie inside made the diff starting with Cardiff at home! More creativity immediately.

• Steve Dixon

Sep 5, 2010 at 3:42 PM

the thing i liked about hughton’s comments at the end of the wolves game was that he didnt complain for barton getting kicked off the pitch and just took it, didnt react. very sensible. He still has his doubters but im starting to take to him. reasonable signings with finances available but still think 13th would be a good season.

• TOONTOONTOON

Sep 5, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Off comment was trailing the sites this moining you guys want to have a look on the arsenal website they have the afra diaby fight.Bigging there fella up but notice how he picks on the smallest guy looks more like a coward to me diaby told them that and they removed my comment bunch of noobs they are

• mcookie2

Sep 5, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Looks to me like Diaby is the ar*e hole here, but then I don’t speak French so I have no idea what’s been said……

• TOONTOONTOON

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Thanks for the link comment 13 dont know how to do that myself

• TOONTOONTOON

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:15 PM

mcookie2 i think he said something about afras mother mate but dont speak french that well so dont take as gospil, we need a fluent french speaker here.

• Turkish Magpie

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Anyone seen this?

Even Geordie Lasses can bray mackems 😉

• jesus was a geordie

Sep 5, 2010 at 6:45 PM

dave1961: I agree with a fair bit of what you say, although I do believe we will become a bit of a selling club! Also, someone else made the point in an earlier thread that had we not won so convincingly against Villa we could be as low as 13th, granted that’s still good going, but not quite as impressive.

Having said that, Chris Hughton has been imense, last season he showed he had the capability to win games, this season he has (so far) shown he can get us playing nice, passing football. His dealings in the transfer window so far have also been first rate. Chris and Colin, hats off!

mcookie and TOONTOON, if you check on youtube you can find a version with english subtitles.

Ben Arfa insults Diaby’s father, so Diaby insults Ben Arfa’s mother…All a bit petty like

• baro

Sep 5, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Chris Hughton’s hard work will indeed pay off to a contract extension. I love the way Newcastle is running the club. Buying young for the future, if we buy the old players like Campbell than its a short term deal and he will also teach the younger players.

• baro

Sep 5, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Seriously just 8 million? For this rising star. Sotiris Ninis the 20 year old is a attacking sensation. Mark my words that he will be one of the top midfielders in the world within about 3 years. He is one of the best playmakers I have ever seen play. Just 20 year old and already captains his side Panathinaikos.

I wish we can go buy him. 8 million we can afford, for this type of player, for the future.

• baro

Sep 5, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Seb Larsson being tracked by Newcastle United?

• Newutd

Sep 5, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Hoppefully not. (20)

• WesJameson

Sep 5, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Seb would be a decent squad player, but there are younger and better out there, im sure

Wouldnt be overly dissapointed in getting him

• WesJameson

Sep 5, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Hatem ben Arfa is in the same league as Ninis is baro mate

• john_cena163

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:18 AM

Blackpool game is near, cnt wait 2 c king arfa.

• dashu9

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:15 AM

Waiting for the weekend match against Blackpool.. hope Hatem Bomb starts

• bobby_ollox

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:31 AM

The international break is as frustrating as ever – but this year we are not blessed with too many international players, so it gives CH an extra week chance to try out the new players and see what systems work for him now.

The PL is full of smart cookies who know how to break down a working system – Andy Caroll is going to get marked out of the next few games – and what CH needs is to develop additional option to deliver goals – and he is right – that is where the hard work starts.

We have all the building blocks – a GOF centre forward, pacey wingers, a bit of steel in midfield, a defence growing in confidence and experience, a sound keeper – more so than the last 5 years. It just needs to be put together into a formula that is adaptable and can mix up their play to surprise teams.

• cyprus

Sep 6, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Well said bobby. You say this team has more prospects than those of the last 5 years and I agree. Creativity (Jonas, Rout, Ben Ar) power (Barton, Nolan, Smith) guile (Enrique, Guthrie), stability (Colo, Will) + talented youth. I mean, how long has it been since we’ve had two powerful wings? And a real finisher up front? On what I’ve seen up to now, we should be too much for the Wigans and Wolves of the PL

• WesJameson

Sep 6, 2010 at 9:27 AM

interesting read, well i thought so……

• bobby_ollox

Sep 6, 2010 at 9:54 AM

I read it twice Wes – I still have no idea of the point.

• G

Sep 6, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Back on track, Dave1961, you aint the only one who has had to eat humble pie over CH mate. I was dead against apointing him, however, he has proved to me that he is more than capable of doing a job, and unlike other recent appointments, he has actually earned his right to do so.