The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Danny Simpson Faces Fight To Get Position Back At Newcastle

10:15 am, Tuesday, September 7th, 2010 by Ed Harrison · 14 Comments

Danny Simpson should be back fairly soon from his rather severe ankle injury that he picked up over the last few games of last season.

Danny Simpson – fit again soon

And Danny has admitted today that he has been frustrated by his time in the recovery room at the Newcastle club, but that he has a new-found focus and determination in his battle to win back the right back position, occupied right now by the improving James Perch.

Danny told the Journal this morning:

“I’m the kind of person who wants it even more after a setback like I’ve had,”   “I feel desperate to get back as soon as possible. I’m delighted the lads have started well and are picking up points and doing well – and I just want to be part of it now.”

“I’ve never really had an injury before and I miss playing so much. When you’re fit and playing you don’t realise how much it means sometimes but now I do.” “If anything this will make me stronger – I will come back better because of it I think.”

“I don’t want to put targets on the return date, but for me it’s just a case of getting back training, getting back with the lads and doing as well as I can when I get those reserve games under my belt hopefully towards the end of this month.”

“The whole injury thing has just come as a shock for me. I walked into the hospital at the end of the season having played against QPR and feeling OK, but I woke up after the operation to be told it would be six months.”

Simpson will face some severe competition for the right back position when he returns, with summer signing James Perch growing in confidence, and seeming to improve with every Premier League outing.

The former Nottingham Forest defender has settled down well at Newcastle, and although James can play in many positions, he is trying to make the right back position his own, but will face competition from Simpson, Ryan Taylor, and even Steven Taylor when Steven returns to the fray.

But Simpson knows that at a top club like Newcastle United, there will always be competition for places all over the pitch,  as he continued:

“It’s good to have that competition because sometimes you can get complacent. Obviously now, as a defender, you can’t because we’ve got a very good squad.”

“It’s a big challenge for me to come back and win my place now. I can’t see the manager changing a successful team so I know that it will be quite a while before I’m playing again.”

“Whether my chance comes about through injury, suspension or in a cup game – I have to take it with both hands.”

No doubt Danny will get his chance once he returns, but credit to James Perch for slotting in so well at Newcastle at right back, so that Danny has not been missed so far this season.

And once Danny and Steven Taylor return from injury, and with Sol Campbell almost fit again, and playing tonight for the Reserve side against Liverpool at Whitley Park, it’s anybody’s guess what the best back four at Newcastle will  be.

Danny, Ryan Taylor, James Perch, Fab Coloccini, Mike Williamson, Sol Campbell, Tamas Kadar and Jose Enrique will all want a starting position at the back, but there’s only four places available.

Any ideas what the best back four will be?

Tags: Danny Simpson · James Perch · Newcastle News

14 responses so far ↓

• 1 G // Sep 7, 2010 at 10:17 AM

I would love to see Danny back sooner rather than later. Perch does look a bit fragile at times, whilst Danny has his faults, I still think he is our best RB, and will only get better.

• 2 Davies // Sep 7, 2010 at 10:37 AM

I think calling someone Fab because it’s the first syllable of their name is just awful. I’m sorry. That’s just how I feel.

• 3 G // Sep 7, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Harsh but fair Davies.

• 4 Tom // Sep 7, 2010 at 11:05 AM

I disagree, I don’t think it will be hard at all. Perch has looked decidedly average for us, in pre-season and the Premier League. Once Simpson is fit, the right back slot should be his again, until he started playing through injuries he was very good for us last season, and could form a decent partnership with Routledge on the right which could potentially mirror that of Jonas and Jose on the left!

• 5 sweendog // Sep 7, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Tom .. hard call .. next couple of games we’ll see if perch can cement his place at rb .. I hope he does..

• 6 toon18 // Sep 7, 2010 at 11:29 AM

It’s got to be Ryan Taylor. He’s our only proven premier league right-back, and he’s got an incredible right foot. He can provide the best crosses at the club and that’s what we need with Carroll up top.

• 7 G // Sep 7, 2010 at 11:44 AM

toon18, RTaylor deffo has the best right foot, but I still se Simpson as the better player. I think Taylor is better further up the field personnaly. His crossing ability is unquestionable, however, his lack of pace and positional sense does let him down.

• 8 madman67 // Sep 7, 2010 at 12:01 PM

just wondering if any1 has heard wether ben arfa might get a run out tonight at the reserves game. will be going if the weather stays as it is, and am hopefull i will get to see the lad strut his stuff. agaianst the scum they fielded a very strong side so am hoping for more of the same tonight

• 9 batty // Sep 7, 2010 at 12:19 PM

perch has been decent seeing hes only had 3 prem games

• 10 Captain Beefheart // Sep 7, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Perch is quicker, but both he and Simpson are error prone.

R Taylor deserves a few games as well, but he’s not so quick.

Dilemma – but pace is the key at this level so can understand why CH has persevered.

• 11 G // Sep 7, 2010 at 1:22 PM

I actually think that Simpson is often villified to be worse than he actually is. I have seen Enrique drop as many clangers as Simpson, yet for some reason he can do no wrong? I know Simpson’s style winds a lot of people up, but I do think of the 3 recognised RB’s we have, he is the safest and best option.

• 12 moonraker // Sep 7, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Davies @ 2
    If abbreviating someone’s name to “Fab” concerns you, how on earth have you coped with the nightmare the club has put us through in the last couple of years?

G @ 11
    Enrique is in a different class to Simpson; but he is young enough to learn from his mistakes and improve.

How our fortunes have changed in the last year eh? We now seem to have so many options! Roll on the weekend and Blackpool :-)

• 13 BouncedCheick // Sep 7, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Don’t really agree that Enrique drops as many clangers as Simpson, however I do agree that Simpson is over-villified and a lot better than people admit.

I’d personally take him over Raylor, who has an excellent right foot but nothing else going for him really.

Having said that, I’d rather we gave Perch more time. He’s only had three games in the PL so far, and is young, so we need to be patient.

Also, remember that CH was a full back in his playing days. He’s improved Enrique no end, and I honestly think he has the potential to the same for Simpson and Perch if given time.

• 14 baro // Sep 7, 2010 at 10:25 PM

I don’t think Simpson is good enough at all for the Premier League. Awful with lots of mistakes at most times. But does sometimes have his good days. An very inconsistent player.

previous post: Chris Hughton One Of Lowest Paid Managers In Premier League