Newcastle Can Get Back Into Europe

Sol Campbell will get some much needed match practice for the Reserves tonight against a strong Liverpool side, and all being well he should be in the Newcastle squad for the Blackpool game at St. James’ Park on Saturday.

Sol Campbell – in action tonight for Newcastle Reserves

Sol is a little different to the rest of the Newcastle players at the club,  since he has not only played top-class football throughout his career, but also has an impressive number of  trophies he has won.

He also knows what trophies are – whereas other Newcastle players may give you a blank look, if you ask them about trophies. 😀

41 years and counting.

Sol is also professional enough that he will be all ready to play against a young but good Liverpool Reserves side, as he told the Evening Chronicle today:

“Things are starting to come together for me.” “As I’ve said, it’s down to hard work and hard work only. That’s all I have to continue to do.”

“It’s a great challenge for me to come to Newcastle.” “I’ve had chances to win cups and trophies in the last seven or eight years and enjoyed them.”

“For me, it’s the same here.” “I’m sure the Newcastle fans would like to still see silverware and to get back into Europe.”  “That would definitely be a great thing to achieve in my career here.”

“It’s certainly what I’m aiming for.” “Nothing is impossible.”

Newcastle have made a much better start to the season that we had thought, even though we were trounced at Manchester United in that first game, but there were still positives to take from the game at Old Trafford.

Even though the Newcastle defense were under constant pressure Coloccini and Williamson had excellent games, and Mike in particular will have learned a lot from that specific game.

It’s early days in the season of course, and we’ll have our downs as well as our ups, but overall we could do better than a lot of us expected this season.

But one thing is for sure, things are definitely starting to look up at the Newcastle club.

• Dennis Twice

Sep 7, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Blackpool first……this is not easy leaque

• MacToon

Sep 7, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Think Campbell might be a little too old to play in Europe for us!

• gunnarnufc

Sep 7, 2010 at 2:14 PM

“I’m sure the Newcastle fans would like to still see silverware and to get back into Europe.” ”That would definitely be a great thing to achieve in my career here.”

So apparently Campbell see’s himself playing for us in his 50’s.

Mr Bleak

• CT

Sep 7, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Do me a favour, talk about setting yourself up for a mighty fall!! 4 points after 3 games, if we average that this season = circa 48-52 in total. I`d take it now, if we don`t beat Blackpool next week we`ll talking about relagation dog fight!! Realism please!!!

• Sgt. Heagerty

Sep 7, 2010 at 2:33 PM

you want realism, well here it is…..

newcastle could be in a relegation dogfight and finish 17th.
    Newcastle could catch some breaks and stay healthy,
    maybe catch some of the top 6 clubs on an off day
    and take some points off of em, we could catch a good
    unbeaten run of good form and slide into a europa league
    slot. newcastle could play solid most of the year and
    have more ups then downs and be midtable scrappers
    and finish 10th. newcastle look like relegation bait
    but stove it off with a late surge and finish 13th.

there is your realism ct!!!!! the real truth is, there
    are 35 games left to play. 105 points out there to be had. anything
    can happen. thats the great thing about football. i can
    guarentee one thing, that one of the scenarios i stated above
    will happen. we will finish somewhere between 1st and

• Solaidback

Sep 7, 2010 at 2:45 PM

I think closer to 20th than 1st tho Sarge,,, lol

Europe is something we can dream of after we’ve got past this season, then past our 2nd season, (as everyone seems to faulter there) & when we’re in our 3rd season back, finishing around mid-table should we start to dream about Europe & not before…..

• CT

Sep 7, 2010 at 2:51 PM

All scenarios are poss, take one game at a time and be happy in our first season to survive! Anything else is a bonus! CH isn`t talking Europe, only idiots who will be dissapointed are! And they`ll be the first to shout “SACK THE MANAGER, THE BOARD, etc REALISM and FAITH is whats needed SARGE not extra pressure that the ragloids can once again say WE the SUPPORTERS are to blame!!!

• Nathan

Sep 7, 2010 at 2:55 PM

This headline is sure helping the whole “Newcastle fans are deluded” image, way to go Ed.

• Solaidback

Sep 7, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Nathan – Don’t have a pop at Ed for just posting what Sol Campbell has said, it’s the players opinion, not Ed’s & everyone is entitled to their own opinion, a bit like yourself if you’d care to give an opinion instead of sniping!!!

• moonraker

Sep 7, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Solaidback @ 6

Thank f*** you’re not the manager or coach; with such pessemism the players would be suicidal!

Being totally realistic the squad, (which will be strengthened again in January) is good enough for top ten even if we have to rely mainly on our home form!

But it’s all about attitude and motivation and these lads seem up for it to me, and with the competition for places now we have a good chance of doing really well this season starting with Blackpool on saturday.

I reckon we will win it 2-0 or 2-1; that being the case even the total cynics will have to admit it’s a good start to the season 🙂

• dave 1961

Sep 7, 2010 at 3:39 PM

what would we say if sol came out and told us we were going to be in a relegation dog fight all season, I for one would ask why he came to the club in the first place, as sol is a vastly experienced player, he will shout about what he wants to achieve, but to say he wants to finish 1 place above relegation would be defeatism, there’s nothing wrong with having hope, as long as we don’t have expectations, we will hopefully have a good season.

• moonraker

Sep 7, 2010 at 3:43 PM

well said dave 1961 🙂

• moonraker

Sep 7, 2010 at 3:51 PM

With respect!We are not Stoke City, Wigan , West Brom or Birmingham City!

We are Newcastle United! and we have to have expectations otherwise why would 50,000 turn up to watch us? as will do this week against Blackpool!!!

• Solaidback

Sep 7, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Moonraker – I’m being realistic fella not pessimistic, if we don’t cut the mustard next season, as it’s always the second season that promoted clubs get relegated, then fans like yourself will be up in arms & wanting the owner/manager/coaching staff out the door but if you are realistic enough to realise that it’ll take between 3- 5 seasons to get back into the European places, then you’ll not burts a blood vessel if we don’t.. 🙂

• Solaidback

Sep 7, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Moonraker – Why do you mention those teams, why not Manc Ali Citey, Cessepool, Villians etc is it because we have a bigger fan base?? because 2 of those team you’ve mentioned have been in the PL for 3 or more seasons now & imo could be counted as mid-table teams, not relegatiuon teams, as we are at present!!!

• moonraker

Sep 7, 2010 at 4:12 PM

I know what you’re saying about second season syndrome and all that; but that usually applies to clubs that are punching above their weight such as Hull City were, and I think Reading had the same problem.

It happens when clubs over-achieve in their first season up and don’t strengthen properly in readiness for the second season.

I honestly can’t see that happening to us, and believe me I’ve seen Newcastle relegated and promoted many times in the past. (since 1957 actually).

Ashley has done enough so far, to show me that he means business and I honestly believe the future is bright!! 🙂

• Solaidback

Sep 7, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Oh I agree with you Moonraker, but I’m taking the realistic approach this season, as I’ve seen too many ups & downs to be totally convinced that something bad isn’t just around the next corner just waiting to bite us when we’re not looking….. 🙁

If we get through this season without any major hic-cups, then maybe I’ll start to relax again 😉

• Solaidback

Sep 7, 2010 at 4:25 PM

As for SSS – second season syndrome, in todays multi-billion market which is football, I think we are still punching above our weight, especially when clubs like Chelski, Manc Ali Citey, Villains, Muckems, Fulham, Arsenil etc are owned by multi-billionaires who’re willing to spend a lot more than our current owner is just to stay in the PL…

You can probably add Blackburn to that list if they get brought out this season, Cessepool is another possible one & no matter how much debt they have, you cant discount Manc Usa either.. 🙁

• CT

Sep 7, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Look,Chels,Arse,Manure,Mshitty,Lpool,Spurs are nailed on top 6,not sure which order n don`t care!—- That leaves Evert,Villa(we know it was a freak),B`ham,Fulham,Macks n poss us for next 6 places! Doable?Possibly , likely who the hell knows but I wouldn`bet a fortune on it. If it happens fanbloodytastic, our pride restored n stuff MOD mob and southern pressarses but don`t give them the ammo to fire at us if we don`t make it. Let them be the ones to eat humble pie at the end of the season!!!

• moonraker

Sep 7, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I agree we have been through a nightmare and you wonder what’s coming next at times but, hopefully we’re over the worst now.

By the way re your comment 15; the reason I mention those teams is, and I dont want to sound disrespectful but they will never achieve what NUFC have achieved even though it’s decades since we won honours, we still won them and you can’t take that away from us.

We were a huge club then and, imo we still are; nobody would say Arsenal aren’t a huge club cos they haven’t won a trophy in 5 years, but it’s true they haven’t.

Recent signings eg ben Arfa, who didn’t come solely for the money have restored my faith that we can soon go on to greater things, but not yet maybe!!!

• moonraker

Sep 7, 2010 at 4:58 PM

The press wont eat humble pie whatever happens to us so who gives a toss what they think?

By the way you may think the villa result was a freak, but to me it was one team(us) up for it and well prepared and the other totally demoralised and un-prepared(them).

We all know about that and you can’t underestimate the effect that result would have had on the squad! Freak? I don’t think so!!!

• moonraker

Sep 7, 2010 at 5:09 PM

In a few years time, thanks to Platini clubs will have to live within their means and not be able to rely on rich benefactors throwing money at them.

That’s the time we should be able to compete with the very top clubs because our revenues should be up there with the other big clubs.

It’s worth remembering though, that for a number of years we were in the top spending bracket and won nothing thanks to bad signings and, it has to be said, bad management!

• CT

Sep 7, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Moons, thats it, you win CHAMPS LEAGUE here we come!!!!! But I`ll be watching your posts in future when we have our blips, `cos you are being unrealistic in our 1st season! FACT

• CT

Sep 7, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Moons baby!!! Bless you, you finally got it! There is a god after after all!

• Thump

Sep 7, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Just remember lads, Villa away is going to be a very tough game. They’ll be looking to do to us exactly what we did to them.

Moon (22) is spot on. Few years time we could very well see the EPL being tipped upside down.

• moonraker

Sep 7, 2010 at 6:49 PM

CT @24
    I respect your opinions mate and I am wearing my rose coloured glasses at the moment!

HWTL 🙂

• CT

Sep 7, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Your post at 22 was same as mine 2 days ago, for the same reason I am hopeful that a level playing field will allow us to be right up there again in 2 to 3 seasons when it kicks in! Nothing wrong with dodgy specs, just need to keep our feet on the ground! HWTL

• baro

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:22 PM

I love that we signed Sol Campbell especially his leadership. NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE. NOTHING. I love him enthusiasm. I believe in every word he says just keep your hopes high.

Sep 8, 2010 at 3:06 AM

For the pessimistic idiot that writes in blue stick to ya cockey teams you idiot.You keep change your name but we all know you the same noob.Last time we got here we were relegation favs then and were did we finish up ya noob oh yes europe wasnit.To many doom and gloom idiots here and ED i agree with ya mate, maybe not top 4, but i think we have good chance of nicking 1 of the spots for the other euro compertion.