Newcastle Fans Want Success And So Do I

Sol Campbell has vowed today to continue to defy age after completing his second Reserve team outing within a week, on Tuesday night for Newcastle United.

Sol Campbell – age doesn’t matter

The 73 times capped England International will probably be part of the Newcastle  first team squad for the vital home game with Blackpool on Saturday afternoon, and may even make his debut in the second half of that game, although that is by no means a certainty.

Campbell, who turns 36 a week on Saturday, has no plans to retire anytime soon, and has talked about his move to Newcastle not being his last hurrah, by any means.

The defender insists that age doesn’t matter, and as long he still has the passion for the game, and that certainly seems true with Sol on Tyneside, he still intends to play for a few seasons yet.

Campbell was signed by Newcastle on a free transfer in the summer, following his marriage and honeymoon to Fiona Barratt, and seemed to want to join the team supported by his new wife Fiona  – so it appears that Sol is very intelligent too. 😀

But the former Tottenham, Arsenal and England great will face severe competition to get a starting place at Newcastle, and he thinks age doesn’t really matter, as he told the Daily Mirror this morning:

“It doesn’t matter where you are at with your age, if you are fit and you are strong, and you are physically there and want it, then you have got the experience so I think there should be no problem really.”

“I’m getting those minutes on the pitch and I’m getting stronger and stronger. I’m going to keep on pushing. I’m in with a shout I just have to keep training hard now.” “Once you have the minutes under your belt you just have to wait for the call from the gaffer.”

“Last season I worked really hard and I think I showed to all the people that if you work hard then you are there. If you get an opportunity, you get an opportunity, but it really comes down to the people behind the scenes and the manager. You can’t do anything about it. I could have scored 10 goals in the first half of the season. It doesn’t matter.”

“With Newcastle there are 50,000 people watching and they want it to be a success, and that is what I am all about. I remember going to Portsmouth and people asking what going there was all about, and I came away with an FA Cup and a European campaign. That is what I am all about.”

You certainly cannot fault Sol Campbell because of his attitude, which is top drawer, and we’ll know fairly well if he can still be a major force in the Premier League.

But we certainly wouldn’t bet against him.

• slazberger

Sep 9, 2010 at 1:09 AM

for all i’m happy with the fitness progress of sol, i cant help think all the media attention over the last week is preparation for an attempt to attack the club by the press.

like i say its great that sol is going to be around the first team but i think most fans would agree our defence should stay as is until somebody fails to preform.

so getting to my point a feel the attention by the media is a build up to them making an over the top deal about the fact sol will probably remain on the bench until we fail to preform in a game we are expected to to get a result from.

• CT

Sep 9, 2010 at 1:28 AM

Listen, As a part of the set up, whether he plays many games or not? doesn`t matter people, Like Pedro massive part of our potential!!!! Got to be part of the new Total new management/ coaching team! CH in charge! Had a few vino rouge t`nite so Sorry Moons, my dodgy specs on t`nite!!!!

• Toon XI

Sep 9, 2010 at 2:04 AM

Success?????? What the …

Aren’t we getting ahead of ourselves?! 🙂

• slazberger

Sep 9, 2010 at 2:47 AM

good luck in your new venture ed. as a football fan i will use the site. you are likely to get a lot of biased wum on there though.

• Brutooon

Sep 9, 2010 at 4:56 AM

Kadar, Steven Taylor, Simpson, Perch will learn a lot from him

• john_cena163

Sep 9, 2010 at 7:37 AM

2 days to Go ,M Getng Exicted 2 C KING ARFA N Mr SOL Play.

• Indian Magpie

Sep 9, 2010 at 8:01 AM

Newcastle 4 blackpool 1

• Captain Beefheart

Sep 9, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Blackpool have targeted this game as one to get something from. They are well up for it. If we win 2-1 I’ll be happy.

If Sol shuts up and stays on the bench for the rest of the season, I’ll be happier still because it will mean the mighty Willo & Colo are not injured.

Beefy’s football rule #4: Never build a team on temps or loanees.

• Indian Magpie

Sep 9, 2010 at 9:22 AM

captain if Ben arfa makes 25 appearance he will not be a loanee any more.

• nufc.romania

Sep 9, 2010 at 9:32 AM

hy everyone … can somebody tell me if the young french Nacim Boukhelifa stay with us ?

• Indian Magpie

Sep 9, 2010 at 10:03 AM

He is still on trial. if what i have read is true.

• dave 1961

Sep 9, 2010 at 10:25 AM

crowd for saturday looks to be about 49,300 but tickets are still selling well so it could be close to a sell out, apart from the seats that blackpool have not sold, results in our hands.

• Captain Beefheart

Sep 9, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Indian Mag@9, I accept Arfa is a different category to being a short term temp or a loanee and look forward with some anticipation to seeing the lad play for many seasons to come. Campbell. however, is simply a stop gap because filthy greedy Steven Taylor is injured & refuses to sign up.

We cannot afford to make Sol a regular first team player as we need to build the kind of settled defence Arsenal had pre Campbell (indeed pre Wenger as he kept George Graham’s defence intact) with Dixon, Keown, Bould, Adams & Winterburn to call on.

• moonraker

Sep 9, 2010 at 2:46 PM

I can see in the Sol signing, similarities with the Dave McKay signing for Derby from Spurs by Cloughie, donkey’s years ago. Everyone thought Clough was mad cos McKay was past his best but he went on to Captain Derby to league success.

Now I know that was then and the game is faster now, but players are fitter nowadays and if he keeps free from injury Sol can do a similar job for us.

I don’t get the impression Sol is just here to wind down his career, even though he preferred a move north cos of his missus.

On a lighter note, if he doesn’t do the business on the field, Ashley should sell a good few pies. 🙂

• moonraker

Sep 9, 2010 at 2:54 PM

CT; sorry mate I missed your earlier comment! I’m afraid my specs are getting more rosy by the day!

Reality is going out the window at the moment!
    Ah well we’ll see; one thing’s for sure never a dull moment at the Toon!!

HWTL 🙂