Carling Cup Important For Newcastle – Really?

Chris Hughton and the Newcastle club’s priority this season just has to be Premier League survival – that’s the only thing that matters, especially after what happened yesterday, against one of the weaker sides in the league.

Carlo Ancelotti – Newcastle meet this manager’s team in 10 days time

So it will be interesting to see what team Chris picks for the Carling Cup tie in 10 days time at Chelsea.

But it’s almost a certainty that he will play our new players like Ben Arfa, Sol Campbell and Cheick Tiote in that game.

Chris Hughton insists Newcastle are taking the Carling Cup very seriously, as he told the Sunday Sun today:

“I know what my team selections have been historically but we’re taking the Carling Cup very seriously this season,” “We know how difficult it will be to win it. And we certainly know how difficult it will be at Chelsea in the third round.”

“But do we want to make progress? Absolutely we do.” “I’m not going into it having decided what my team will be already. It’s one that I will see where we are when it arrives,”   “What can happen over the week before then can affect how I think about it. If players have got little niggles or pains then I might not play them.”

“I am conscious that Chelsea is a difficult place to go for any player, not just a young player, and that will have an influence on the way that I think about my team selection.”  “I have an idea but I haven’t made any decisions on that one just yet.”

It’s a good time to give all the new players their debuts and then see how they play, and then whether they deserve to keep their places for the league game following the Carling Cup – which is a home game against Stoke City on the following Sunday, and that doesn’t look too easy  either.

In our relegation season we were 2-0 up against Stoke at half time in that same fixture, with both goals from Michael Owen, but then Newcastle allowed two goals in the second half to only get a draw.

And to make things worse for the Magpies, former Newcastle player Abdoulaye Faye scored the equalizer in the first minute of injury time.

Just think, those 2 lost points could have saved us from relegation, so every single point this season is so vital for the Newcastle United club,  and the next few league games will be absolutely crucial.

And the Carling Cup cannot be too much of a priority.

• hitman

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:46 AM

fk the carling cup.prem survival is number 1 target..we will get gangbanged off chelski anyway

• CT

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Prem survival is the priority, but isn`t the CC only 6 games to get into Europe???

• Howay The Lads

Sep 12, 2010 at 12:03 PM

I’d put out quite a strong side:
    Tavernier Kadar Campbell Ferguson
    Raylor Tiote Ben Arfa Xisco (if he can play)
    Lovenkrands Ranger/Shola

• G

Sep 12, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Play the kids and fringe players. If we go out, no probs, if we go through, very nice. Won’t be upset if we go out even if we play our strongest 11 if I am honest. Prem has to be the priority.

Sep 12, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Feel chris might put our first team out here as chelsea ussally use there 1st team for this.Was not surprised when we went out of this early last year,as we had a waffer thin squard at the time,and geting back into the prem was our 1st priortity.Dam we drew chelsea again, so win or lose this is no biggy for me, whats more important is getting a point at everton next weekend.

• BeeGuy

Sep 12, 2010 at 1:58 PM

HOw can anyone be worrying about Chelsea when Everton is next up. Ch has one of his bioggest weeks coming up in determining what his line-up is going to be. There are hard decisions to make weighing experience against raw talent, and what match-ups to make against Everton’s squad. CH certainly has top consider Raylor, if only for his passing and occasional crosses. Certainly time to weigh if Tiote is ready to help the weak right backs play. And BTW, shouldn’t Campbell and the staff be teaching and demanding these right backs to stay closer to their marks, move backwards without turning their backs to the ball, and turning way too Soon?

• Preston_toon

Sep 12, 2010 at 3:43 PM

I don’t agree with this saying Blackpool are one of the weakest team in the league sorry I respect your opinion but I team that comes up from the championship then beats Wigan 4-0 then plays well against Arsenal until they had a man sent off then Draw against Fulham (a very good side). In theory YES Blackpool are one of the weakest teams (technically so are we). Basically I think we will survive and pretty decent finish as well we did not put in a bad performance yesterday day Blackpool keeper just found his form yesterday and did very well

• baro