Hughton Not Sure He Enjoys Being Newcastle Manager

The Newcastle manager always has high stress levels if only because there’s always such a high expectations from Newcastle fans.

Chris Hughton – uncertain whether he “enjoys” being Newcastle manager

And after yesterday’s surprise defeat against Blackpool not doubt this will not be a particularly enjoyable week for the Newcastle manager.

But Chris has now been in the job around 15 months, but he’s not sure enjoy would be a word he would use for his experiences as the  Newcastle manager.

He will soon be celebrating  (if that is the right word), the time two years ago when he first took over s care-taker manager on Tyneside.

It was September 13th (unlucky for some) a couple of years ago, when Hughton first took over the club, after Kevin Keegan had left the club, and in Chris’ first game we were surprisingly beaten 2-1 by Hull City at home.

Chris didn’t seem too sure if he had enjoyed the last year as he talked to the Sunday Sun:

“Have I enjoyed it? Um, I suppose . . . well . . . I would have to say it would be yes, overall,” “Maybe not everything.” “The best way to put it is that I’ve enjoyed the challenge of being Newcastle United manager.”

“The pressures and stresses of being a manager make it very difficult to enjoy it fully because you’re always on the go and always dealing with one thing or another. That is the nature of the job.”

“But certainly I’ve enjoyed the challenge. And I think I have enjoyed the response of this group of players to the challenge.” “That has given me the most enjoyment, seeing a good group of players come back from where they were at the beginning of last season.”

Chris is happiest on the training ground working with the players, and he’s great at what he does there, but he has had to give up some of those duties as he has other responsibilities because of other things he has to do, such as administration, media interviews and the general managing of the club every day.

Chris undertakes every thing he does with a certain diligence, and he works hi socks off in the job for the Newcastle club.

And he seems to be OK with having such a high profile for such a modest and quiet man, as he continued:

“I don’t mind being more high profile. I’m OK with that,” “Would I prefer to do less of the media work? Well, yes – I think every manager will tell you they would like to spend all of their time on the training pitch.”“But it is part and parcel of the job when you manage a big club.”

“You have to understand the responsibilities of things like talking to fans because they are important.” “It’s never something that I would stop doing, even though it probably doesn’t come that easily to me.” “In some ways it has gone very quick and in other ways it has gone very slow,”

“That’s because of the highs and lows – when you’re in the thick of it, it can be tough.” “You enjoy the highs but you can’t enjoy them for long.”   “As soon as you win, you’re back focusing on the next game. You don’t get a minute to enjoy it really.” “What I’ve been fortunate with is that we’ve had more good times than bad times since I’ve been here.”

Hughton will be under pressure this week after the surprising 2-0 loss to Blackpool yesterday at St. James’ Park,  that ended a 27 game unbeaten streak at St. James’ Park.

And it’s also an important time on the season for the Newcastle side, as they can learn from the defeat and take that forward to the remaining games, and it’s clear to remain in the Premier League come next May, there’s just got to be an improvement on what Newcastle fans witnessed yesterday.

• Dennis Twice

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:14 AM

1st?

• BlacknWhite Barmy

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Like most people its easy and enjoyable when your winning!!

Next few games will see the real character of wor manager – has he the bottle to drop certain players? Does he really have faith in the youngsters? Can he make game altering decisions during hte game or has he no plan B?

• G

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:23 AM

I think last season Chris showed he does indeed have a plan B. Last season when he first started he was very 1 dimensional, however, his ability to claw back results and chase every point showed through. Like I have said on other threads, CH has at least earned his chance to take charge in the Prem, unlike many others before him.

• supermacnumber9

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Well, we know the situation now and its just as I feared – we are not great but we are not rubbish (in 50 years following the lads I’ve seen worse teams and some realy pathetic players), we are average . We need to work through this season, stay patient and build for next season with our youngsters and good signings who want to be here. If the lads on the park do their best then support them – support the team, encourage them, – if we make sure we are in this league next season with a stronger more experienced squad it will have been a successful (if frustrating) season.

• CT

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Plan B last season was moving Guthrie inside, and it sure worked 2nd half of the season! This time CH has more options. We`ll be ok, 14th-17th probably. and be honest lads we`ll take that in our 1st season, wouldn`t swap our sqad for B`pool`s. We`ll still finish above them and a few others.

• TOONTOONTOON

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Like your blogs ussally ED but think this 1 is uncalled for myself.

• punk skunk...

Sep 12, 2010 at 12:52 PM

toonx3,
    i agree with you…What’s your angle here ed?..

• xfer

Sep 12, 2010 at 2:45 PM

I feel the players selected have let CH down. There is nothing wrong with the formation as much as i dont like seeing it. We are effectively playing 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2 with Nolan right alongside Carroll most of the time. We were excellent with the same formation against Villa, so how can anyone accuse CH of picking the wrong formation? Its as attacking as you can imagine.

Players like Smith didnt turn up for the match, Barton the first half. Jonas’s distribution is horrible as he normally is, no doubting his on-the-ball-ability tho.

• CT

Sep 12, 2010 at 4:16 PM

I`m damn sure I don`t like bein a supporter most of the time but I`m bloody stuck with it, just as I have been for the last 50 tw**in years!!!