Ben Arfa Quickly Becoming Darling Of Tyneside

Ben Arfa, Newcastle’s new 23-year-old French midfielder already seems to be becoming the darling of the Newcastle fans.

Ben Arfa – looks good in black and white

The French International came on at the end of the game on Saturday, but he was still voted by 38% of voters in our poll,  as Man of the Match, beating out central defenders Coloccini and Williamson, who again had solid games for the Magpies.

Ben Arfa recieved a great reception form the Newcastle fans, and the youngster said he was suprrised by such a welcome.

He talked to the Evening Chronicle today:

“For me to lose in my first game really stings.” “It really spoils it for me to lose a game like that.”   “I wanted to begin with a victory, but it has gone now and we can only look forward to the next set of games.”

“I was very, very surprised by the reception that I got – but of course I was very pleased.” “I am genuinely touched by the welcome that the Newcastle fans have given me.”

“And now this just makes me even more determined to do well for them, score some goals and win some matches.”  “I can take away some good images from the game.”

“I have discovered what it’s like to play at a big stadium and hear for the first time just how good these supporters are for a player.”  “For me, it is very hard to lose a match and, as I say, I am stinging.”

“I don’t like losing because I regard myself as a winner.” “I have a winner’s mentality and it hurts like hell when I lose.”

Those are good words from the French lad, and most fans will hope the full power and skills of the 23 year-old will be made available against Everton at Goodison Park on Saturday afternoon – we hope he gets his first start for Newcastle.

And Ben Arfa says he can’t wait to be involved and he’s still surprised at the great reception he received from Newcastle fans..

“We can look ahead to the next game now.” “It was just such a huge surprise for me to get a good reception, but I am really happy that it was like that.” “I would like to show the supporters what I can do and give them something in return.”

The Parisian seems a natural for the Newcastle club, as he already knew all about the Magpies’ history and former players when he arrived on Tyneside.

And if he can provide the skills and creativity that is often missing from the Newcastle side, he will become a great permanent signing for the club – there’s absolutely no doubt about that.

And of course he is a real crowd-pleaser and will help fill the St. James’ Park stadium to capacity in future home games, as long as the Newcastle team can recover from what was a very bad day at the office on Saturday.

But hope springs eternal on Tyneside.

• G

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Fantastic photo Ed, is that HBA’s chicken and egg impersination?

• listie

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:12 PM

I’m still surprised that HBA wanted to come to us, i’m very very glad he did, but just get the feeling someone gave him a copy of Goal 1 and 2 !

• G

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:13 PM

I hope your’e not suggesting that HBA is angling for a move to Real Madrid listie?

• JamesE

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:16 PM

This is my first time commenting on this blog, although I have been reading all the articles for well over a year. One thing that struck me from saturdays game is Nolan had an absalute shocker. Whenever he was involved the game slowed down, and he completely fluffed the 1 on 1 chance he had. I reckon HBA should replace nolan for a bit flair.

• listie

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:19 PM

G – lol no, I can’t put my finger on it, he is seen as a wonder kid, France are pinning a lot of hope on him, and plently of other teams would have snapped him up, i’m just not 100% sure why he picked us now, just promoted, not a huge amount of investment, pretty much the same sqaud that got us the drop.
    Dont get me wrong I love the fact he is here with us, but a little voice in the back of my mind keeps asking why.

• Penguin PJ

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:21 PM

C’mon Ed. Hatem’s first game in black & white, and you picked that pic?

(Could Do Better)

• G

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:22 PM

I haven’t worried too much about the ‘why’ personnaly, I am just happy about the ‘is’ bit of it. I would like to think he chose us for a regular game, whereas if he had gone to one of the big four for instance, he might have just been a squad rotation player?

• JamesE

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:22 PM

listie – maybe he thinks being the big fish in the little pond will get him noticed by bigger clubs?

• Penguin PJ

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:24 PM

kinda moody 2day. damn dat blackpool gk.

• Rotonda heights

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Raylor Colo, Willo Enrique

Routledge Jonas

Ben Arfa

• keegan trio

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:34 PM

was indeed disappointed..feel like 18 sept to come earlier..
    but this is nufc…unexpected things will happen jus like we nvr expect we can win villa…so we as fans can only look forward to everton game…guess its gonna be a draw although i hope for a win though…another loss will see us plunge down further down the table..we dropped 6places downwards…

regarding disappointed extremely in perch, smith and our captain nolan…i will hope CH really dare to drop them and hope they can find back their form…
    replace them with ryan taylor(not sure if its risky, anyway perch is gonna be suspend soon, the risk has to be taken sooner or later..simpson still around 2-3wks away i think)…smith for tiote( obviously)…and the H bomb for nolan…
    as for keeper wise..i wonder tim krul will ever play any bpl games..hope to see him play…harper is losing form i think..

• G

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Interesting that you propose playing with only 10 men RH?

• G

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Throw another striker to operate with AC and I am right with you mind. PL or NR for me.

• keegan trio

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:43 PM

distin has low pace…perhaps partner loven man with AC?distin may not catch up with him…jus like he cannot keep nani quiet

• WesJameson

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Sorry Hatem, in his interview, it says he hates loosing, because he is a winner

Well mate, if you hate loosing, you choose the wrong club Lad, you are in for a very very long heart breaking time

this is my 20th year supporting NUFC

FFFFFFFFF@@@@@@cccckkkkkkkk is all i can say

• dave 1961

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Nolan urges Blackpool loss to be wake-up call, the headlines in the chronicle, what a joke from a player that spent 90 minutes on Saturday asleep. I just hope that Hughton will wake up to the fact that Nolan & smith found there levels last season, they are 2 meters to slow for the premier league. I heard several people say this was the worst yet, and they did not intend renewing their season ticket. I have said many times that I was unsure as to whether I gave credit to Hughton for last season, or it was just a natural conclusion as our squad was to good for the coca cola, well for me to lose to Blackpool, a team that finished 32 points behind us, this must go down as a blunder of the highest magnitude, and it was a must win game, I think the next three games could see us enter a relegation battle, and Hughton sticking with 4-5-1untill the crowd turns on him, he seem to think he’s a world class manager now. we sadly he’s not but let’s hope he can learn to be one. but for me this result was a shocking disgrace, and awful to watch.

• alex84

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:51 PM

i wouldnt be suprised if CH plays the same team as sat, to keep it tight and go for a point…hope not!

• Toon XI

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:52 PM

For me @ Goodison:

Raylor Willy Colo El Toro

Tiote Barton

Ben Arfa Nolan Lover

Drop the two wingers who can’t cross nor shoot and push Lover out wide as he reminds me of a Dirk Kuyt type player. I do like Nolan and his size inside at Goodison. This line up has teeth and pace.

Something different that the Toffees would not expect from CH.

• WesJameson

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:56 PM

@ keegan trio // Sep 13, 2010 at 1:43 PM

how can you even use that traitors name in your “Nick Name”? Kevin WHO????

• alex84

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:02 PM

its a tough one tho, coz yeah fair enough we should have won on sat, but look at the so called bigger clubs dropping points…spurs, liverpool man city, it happens. least we created chances

• Selbymag

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:04 PM

20 years of supporting the club – well im sure thay are happy for your positive attitude.

Keegan a traitor? wow I thought a court of law had found that he had been completly right to take the course of action he did. But I guess you know best!

• maltese NUFC

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:06 PM

a gem of a player. but 1 think I have noticed is that he is not up to full speed. He either lacks match fitness or he is not used to such a frantic pace of the game….I would give him 30minutes in our reserves game next thursday to gain match fitness along with campbell….but when he runs at people with the ball he’s unstoppable….I have never seen a player dribble with so much ease!!!

• WesJameson

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:10 PM

keegan is a traitor in EVERY sense of the word mate, name ONE job he didn’t WALK from???????

When the going gets tough, Keegan gets going, so yea maybe i do know a bit more than you mate

We were Fekking relegated a couple seasons ago, so much to be positive about hey???

Scumberland are signing players of 13 million, Stoke bought two worth 6 million each

AND NUFC spent about 5 million total, WOW so many positives

Hatem AND Tiote the only positives this window

• WesJameson

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Yeah the court also found Michael Jackson and O.J Simpson Innocent……………………… says a lot

• Selbymag

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:26 PM

I think you will find we were promoted after relegation Wes so I find that a positive, I assume you would have been happier if we had become the next Leeds.

He did the honourable thing with the England job so I cant hold that against him either. I would rather a manager walk from a job than sit their waiting to be sacked so he can trouser the cash.

Im at least safe in the knowledge that me and my lad dont have to sit next to the likes of you at the match.

As for Jackson and Simpson they dont count – celebrity over integrity in America everytime

• Penguin PJ

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:32 PM

@WesJameson 24

I’m just curious.

So if the court find Andy Carroll innocent in his up coming case, what does that say?

• estechco

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Rotonda heights: I think it’ll be hard enough aginst Everton without fielding a 10 man team ;o)

I assume you intended to have Barton (or perhaps Nolan) in the middle of the diamond? Can’t wait for Guthrie to return as he’d be my preference

• WesJameson

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Well even though i am from South Africa, i have been to over 20 games, so you never know mate, you might have sat next to me 🙂

But you are seriously missing the point here

Keegan has walked out of……..
    4.Man City

That makes it twice “BELOVED” NUFC he called it…HAHAHAHAHA please

• WesJameson

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:44 PM

@ Penguin PJ // Sep 13, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Mate i’m not saying that the court always get it right OR wrong, all i was saying is that, just because the “court” ruled on something, it doesn’t always mean that the verdict was correct

BUT pls Dear God, find Andy innocent 🙂

• Selbymag

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:50 PM

He got stiched up by the PLC first time at Newcastle.

He left Fulham for the England job.

He left the nEngland job because he didnt think he was good enough perhaps he should have stayed and taken the FA for £16m like Sven did.

Man City were in crisis and the board did not honour promises made to Keegan.

The second time at Newcastle the board lied to Keegan and the fans.

If anything Keegan appears to be an honest man with principals. That can be viewed as his biggest fault apart from his complete inabilty to know a good defender if they landed on him.

Off subject I know but your views annoyed me.

Next time you over let me know and I will let you buy me a pint and my too young to be pessimitic yet son will have a water. Cheers.

• Toon XI

Sep 13, 2010 at 3:00 PM

I truly believe our performance in the next five matches will determine our fate relative to relegation. We must take a healthy number of points from Stoke, Wigan and West Ham. If we do not, the team will begin to implode and the negative momentum will be unstoppable. Our points position will be difficult to overcome as 25% of the season will have been played by then. We need a positive response now, not later.

• WesJameson

Sep 13, 2010 at 3:03 PM

HAHAHA, fair enough Selbymag, i would deff buy you a pint but c’mon im not that cheap, i would at least buy your Son coke or something heheheh. You sound like a knowledgeable bloke, we just have different views on certain things!! I’m Glad our debate didn’t turn out to be an ugly one, some people are just really immature and love fighting (Even “in House”)

• Zangwill_Ho

Sep 13, 2010 at 3:04 PM

I love him so much!!!!!good lad!!

• Brutooon

Sep 13, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Hatem Ben Arfa 18 mins substitute cross the ball more than Jonas for the first 72 mins

• Toon XI

Sep 13, 2010 at 3:30 PM

It is frustrating to see Sunderland bring on Gyan at halftime in their match as an adjustment to the red card, etc. Gyan made his impact with a goal in the 66th minute. In the 66th minute of our match Ben Arfa was still riding the pine and Lovo had just entered the fray 3 minutes earlier. We had the ammunition to beat Blackpool. We just had them sitting until it was too late.

• alex84

Sep 13, 2010 at 3:39 PM

agreed Toon XI, arfa would have been first on for me, and a lot sooner, he looked sharp

• Irie-Magpie

Sep 13, 2010 at 3:52 PM

CH is doing as much as he can with the team he ha, but he’s going to have to make some tough decision, who plays and who don’t (Nolan, Smith and Routledge), We can’t continue to loose games we have to win. Benny should have being on to start the second half for me

• aoOjee

Sep 13, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Definately dont think we should drop nolan carrol partnership just yet.. atleast they get to chances when they play together! 451 away from home with nolan in behind carrol and drop gutierrez for arfa on that left hand side. Jonas looks so frustrated with himself, and when his runs dont work for him and also the non-existing end product its time for him to take a game off. DEFINATELY get smith out and put on Tiote.. just hope hes got some pace, because barton and smith are so slow. Barton suprised me the most, he wants to move forward with the ball at pace, but the opposition runs him up too easy! Guthrie has a little bit more pace than barton right? atleast the first few steps i would hope? Think houghton should experience with some different tactics at home, cause after the substituions it looked a real mess! 4 nufc players standing on the 16 meter line and a huge gap back to the rest of the team. Looking forward to the reaction at Everton, you know they will want to make it right and give theire all 🙂

• darthkir

Sep 13, 2010 at 4:25 PM

funny when a name like his is pronounce wrongly… ben is not his name rather than a word used to connect the actual name to the father’s name, while arfa is actually his father’s name… sorry OT a bit

• TheMags