Newcastle Injury Update For Everton Game

Newcastle manager Chris Hughton was today checking on how some of our injured players are coming along.

Danny Guthrie – injured knee still a problem

Chris will have to decide which team starts the game on Saturday, and we have to believe there will be at least some changes to the side that started against Blackpool, and in short, didn’t get the job done.

And surprisingly midfielder Danny Guthrie is struggling to be fit for the trip to Everton, because of his knee injury, which a few weeks ago we were told was only a minor problem.

Hughton is expecting Danny Simpson back in training fairly soon from his ankle injury, but exactly when is not known, and forgotten striker Leon Best is now back in training, following his ankle injury.

Hughton said today:

“There’s a few that aren’t very far away.” “Danny Simpson’s not too far away, and neither is Danny Guthrie.”

Dan Gosling and Steven Taylor, who are our two long-term injury victims, are continuing to make progress, with Steven expected back in training in about 4 weeks time, and Dan expected back at the turn of the year, from his serious cruciate knee injury.

These two lads are potential starters for the team, so when they are both fit again, they will further improve the quality of the squad.

And we haven’t seen Danny Simpson or Danny Guthrie this season, so their return will also bolster the squad, and they will be the next two to return to the squad, but not for Saturday.

• Toon XI

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:31 PM

We need Guthrie back!

• G

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Agreed TX. He gives us that something a little bit different (Creativity?) in the centre that we sometimes lack. Given the new signings though, it will be very difficult to see where he will get a game. I don’t think he is very good on the wing, so it will have to be a central birth. No doubt that means dropping smith, but what about the problem of accomodating Tiote?

• Toon XI

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:38 PM

I know we would never see this line up at SJP, but what the heck:

Harper

Raylor Willy Colo El Toro

Tiote

HBA Guthrie Barton Lover

Carroll

• G

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Lover on the left wing… contravertial Toon XI?

• Davies

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I hate to say this, but we need either Simpson or STaylor to get into that RB slot as soon as possible. Perch is improving, but I really think we need to try something else back there.

• G

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:42 PM

I think Perch has it in him to be a good Prem player, but he isnt there yet. I still believe Simpson is our best RB, closely followed by RTaylor.

• Toon XI

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:42 PM

I know. But it would be something unexpected. Which is something CH is not willing to do. Lover reminds me of Kuyt that is why playing him out wide comes to mind.

• G

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:44 PM

I’m not sure I see it Toon, but if memory serves he used to play there for Rangers once in a while, so I am prepared to give it a go, even though it might mean squeeky bum time again?

• Toon XI

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:49 PM

How much less would he provide in a game than Jonas right now? JG struggles to make a decent cross and lord knows he never shoots on target.

• G

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:53 PM

The two worst elements of Jonas game. On the positive side of his game though, he does work really well with Jose out left, and he terrifies attacks with his mazy runs. Agreed those runs mean nothing with no end product, but every once in a while it creates a space in the middle.

• Toon XI

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:56 PM

G –

I agree. He does provide space and is a threat, but we need to finish. Two years ago in the Prem he dribbled like crazy but we struggled to score. I fear we are headed for a repeat with him. Also, he looks defeated this season when he loses possession. You can see it in his eyes. Something appears to me amiss with him. Not sure if WC in South Africa actually hurt him or not.

• G

Sep 14, 2010 at 2:10 PM

If only there were such a thing as the b**tard son of Jonas and Ginola?

• repo

Sep 14, 2010 at 2:33 PM

sorry ben arfa got to start on sat…

• balubas1

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:15 PM

agree with some here on the perch issue… would love to see him blossom eventually, but we need to play our best rb option when fit.

• Half Blood Geordie

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Barring injuries and having contracts sorted this is the XI I’d like to see take the field.

———————-Krul——————————

S.Taylor—-Colo—-Wills/Campbell—-Enrique

——————Tiote———————————
    Routledge————Barton/Guthrie——Jonas

——————Ben Arfa—————————–
    —————————Carroll———————-

Looking at the statistics Harper has let in 6 goals from the 11 shots on target we’ve restricted our 4 opponents (second in the league only to Arsenal’s 10 they’ve restricted themselves). His form seems to be slipping and it’s my opinion that Krul should be given a go.

As for the right back slot, Perch seems abit out of his dept and R.Taylor just doesn’t have the defensive abilities for that position. I still haven’t seen Simpson play in the PL to warrant an opinion on him. Whenever I’ve seen S.Taylor play at RB he’s been decent going forward, has good pace and can tackle. Without a doubt he’s our best player for the right back spot.

The rest of the positions pick themselves with a few spots going to those who are inform at the given moment.

All in all we have a decent side capable of comfortably finishing in the 12th-15th position.

• balubas1

Sep 14, 2010 at 5:20 PM

MY 1st team choice when all fit:

——————–Harper———————–

S.Taylor—–Colo——–MW———-Enrique

———————-Tiote————————–

————-Ben Arfa—–Nolan——————

Routledge———————————–Jonas

———————-Carroll————————

As Ben Arfa will play alot as a winger (I think), Barton, Gosling and Guthrie will get sufficient playtime in the middle because of injuries, rotation & as subs.

Wayne or Jonas out and HBA instead on the wing will benefit us cuz we will get one of the CM’s in and give the team more defensive balance.

Very offensively… but just an idea..

• balubas1

Sep 14, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Can’t really understand why so many is willing to sacrifise Nolan in our team.. Have I missed something?

But I’m happy everyone seems to agree that Smith’s day as a starter is over.

• CT

Sep 14, 2010 at 5:25 PM

HBG. Pretty close to my ideal line up, witha caveat on occasions 3 at the back, Tiote holding, Barton and Guthrie centre mf, Rout/ jonas acting as w/backs, HBA playing off Carrol. This formation gives us pace, creativity and potence! A handful for any team. Doubt we`ll see it tho`!

• GeordieTartanArmy

Sep 14, 2010 at 5:26 PM

nolan is shit

• balubas1

Sep 14, 2010 at 5:28 PM

GeordieTartanArmy 19@

“nolan is shit”

Can u explain why? I’m open for reasonable arguments

• JerseyGeordie

Sep 14, 2010 at 5:31 PM

i really would love to see raylor get a go at rb. I know he can be a liability on def but i don’t really think you should keep your best crosser on the bench especially with an attacking player like carroll who thrives in the air. willo and colo have also been so good so far. I think the problem is willo and smith. Both lack top pace and perchy has supported willo many times on breaks. Willo has been really good near the box, but whilst colo is brilliant at covering the bull’s runs, i don’t think hoots feels the same about willo just yet. Perch has made good progress in solidifing his game, but raylor gives you so much more going foward. Maybe if tiote proves to be suitable help for willo and colo, hoots will give raylor a go at rb. Would love to see:
    ————harper————–
    raylor—–willo–colo—–bull
    ——-tiote—–barton——–
    rout——–benny——-jonas
    ———–big andy————-

• JerseyGeordie

Sep 14, 2010 at 5:47 PM

@balubas1
    i love nolan’s attitude and leadership, but it looks like he’s running in sand out there. Yes he has a good eye for goal in the box, but too many times he stifles build up play on the way to the box. He doesn’t show well enough to the ball to support jonas, and he can’t turn anyone so when he receives the ball from mid field on a good run 99% of the time he plays it right back to midfield allowing defenses to get in position instead of turning and continueing the pressure going foward. He rarely makes a play on a break and in this league, most goals are scored from breaks. He also lacks the pace to get onto carroll’s knock on headers when they aren’t going right to him. I can honestly say that he has stopped more chances than he’s created/finished this year.

• TOONTOONTOON

Sep 14, 2010 at 6:02 PM

balubas1 you need a brain to have a reasonable argument,and its clear that fella in slot 19 aint got 1 haha

• balubas1

Sep 14, 2010 at 6:02 PM

JerseyGeordie:

Loving your lineup, even though I find it hard to drop Nolan.
    But there will be rotation in this squad! HBA may be fit, but he won’t be playing full 90m the first games I think.

But I guess this is all a good sign:) I mean that players I’d expect to start finally gets competition.

• balubas1

Sep 14, 2010 at 6:11 PM

TOONTOONTOON:

hehe yeah.. might be the case. I dunno.

JerseyGeordie manages fine though..

I’m just really looking forward to how our team developes in the next 3-4 games. Who will cement their place? who will loose it? will there be rotation? Will HBA and CT make it, and how far will they go? Excited 😀

• TOONTOONTOON

Sep 14, 2010 at 6:13 PM

JerseyGeordie drop nolan then whos gonna mind young andy fella.

• TOONTOONTOON

Sep 14, 2010 at 6:23 PM

JerseyGeordie heres a nother posser for ya drop nolan who else is capable with chiping in with a number of goals

• JerseyGeordie

Sep 14, 2010 at 7:00 PM

nolan’s griity goals in the box will be missed, but i believe hba, jonas and wayne will get in more goals on breaks. Nolan is a break killer. He has set up nowt so far, and his two goals in villa where from 3 yards out. Really he has an eye for goal but usually needs a lucky bouce. With jonas, benny and wayne coming at you on the break with all that pace and creativity and carroll demanding attention from defenses, you’ll get some tap ins and open goal goals. Most of all teams will be pushing players foward at their own perril.

• balubas1

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:20 PM

JerseyG:

I think you slightly underestimate Nolan’s skills. He is quite clever on the pitch.

But I agree with you when you were talking about maybe lacking some ability in the upbuild of attack.

But I think we both agree on that he is a great player for us to have!

• balubas1

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:23 PM

One thing in perticular I have missed in our team is sufficient Off-the-ball runs.

In my opinion that is the key for every team for success. This is CH’s responsibility.

Anyone else seen the same thing?

• dave 1961

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Nolan has a good football brain that’s how he gets goals, but he is to slow to start but would be good for the last 20-30 minutes when the game slows to his level.

• BeeGuy

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Well, it’s topsy Tuesday so here goes:

Sol Campbell was judged the 2nd fastest man in the PL last year. So drop him in at RB, and let the little wingers try to get by that battleship.

Tie Harpers ankles together so he can’t kick Route 1 balls and let Jonas & the other wings move the ball on the ground.

While I can see why CH wants Nolan in the game – since he has a nose for goals – the ball needs to get near the goal for him to be effective. Since that is not happening, bring on Lovenkrands, HBA or Ranger to use their speed and guile to complement Carroll.

• StuW

Sep 14, 2010 at 9:53 PM

I would like to see HBA sitting just behind Carroll, dropping into CM when we lose possession, and getting onto the front-line when we attack.
    BA has the ability to pull defenders away, giving Carroll space to work shots/goals. Routledge has started well for me, I think he realises this is his last shot at the EPL, and that HBA can now play on the RW if he drops form.

CH has plenty of options this season, but I fear that if Jose-E gets an injury, we haven’t got a proven EPL full-back. Kadar can play there, but he is a CB. We don’t need too much activity in the transfer market(at the minute anyway). Another LB, a goal-scorer, and possibly that should see us through this season.

Nolan is an EPL-class CM. He is a workhorse who will keep going till the final whistle, similar to Lampard/Gerrard, and can score the goals. There isn’t many of those players around ATM, and he quite rightly should be starting for the Toon.

Also, Vuckic has dropped from the radar slightly. I think CH should give him a shout in some games, he can play up front, as well as AM. Surely CH will look for him to shadow HBA’s style of play.

• baro

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:25 PM

We really need Guthrie back. He was outstanding every game last year. Set up Carroll for a goal more than 15 times. Still young and is improving every game. He can be the next Gerrard or Lampard.

• Brutooon

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:58 AM

• balubas1

Sep 15, 2010 at 10:21 AM

baro & Brutooon

Guthrie’s speciality is passing the ball aorund, especially switching flanks which gives us options forward. He has areas he needs to improve though, but not any real pinpoint weaknessess.

ever noticed how smith ruins the gameflow with even the simplest pass by passing the ball behind the receiver? I’m pullng my hair every time I see it… It understand it if he is closed down and under hard pressure, but his awareness is just HORRIBLE.. awareness is one of the most important features of a CDM or a CM for that matter as they are our link to attack and will always be under pressure.

Brutooon:
    “Guthrie is our best centre midfielder. he can pass all over the pitch (5 times better than alan smith plus he is younger)”

-As a clean CM you may be right, with competition from Joey Barton. I would rate Barton higher if he can up his level a bit and hold it. Guthrie may be lacking some physical attributes to be a new gerrard or lampard, but still he may be a real star for us.

• Markiss17

Sep 15, 2010 at 10:40 AM

i would like to see
    Harper
    Simpson/Raylor Colo Camp Bull

Tiote
    Jonas/rout/Lua Barton Guthrie HBA

Carroll
    iam not a 100 percent on routladge what ia have seen off him he just put his head down and runs and loses the ball often