Can Perch Hook Newcastle Starting Place This Season?

If James Parch is to become a Newcastle regular this season, he will need to improve his game, and improve quickly.

James Perch – can he become regular at Newcastle?

It’s the first time Perch has ever played in the Premier League and of his 4 games so far, he’s had a couple of strong performances, as well as picking up a yellow card in each game, which threatens to break his run in the side.

A 5th yellow card and he gets a one game suspension.

James was brought in from Nottingham Forest in the summer, and could be one of those players, like Mike Williamson is proving to be, to make the step up to becoming a Premier League class player.

James seems to be satisfied so far with what he’s been able to do at Newcastle, as he said today:

“I feel fine,” “Obviously it’s a step up from the Championship, which is a standard I’m used to. It’s a bit quicker but I think I’ve got used to it – yes I’ve got a few yellow cards but I think I’ve started well and hopefully I can stay in the team for as long as possible.”

“I think the international break came at a bad time for us, we were on a high and we could have done with a game on the Saturday we missed,”  “But those things happen and we’ve gone off the track a little – hopefully we can get it back at Everton.”

Danny Simpson is on the mend from his bad ankle injury, and will challenge for the right back position soon, as will Steven Taylor when he returns in about a month from his shoulder injury.

There will be significant competition in all positions in the Newcastle side this season, and no more so than at right back.

• WesJameson

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:39 PM

hmmmmmmm, not sure on this one Lads

• batcheese

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:45 PM

he has been shocking!!! strong performances?? your having a laugh!

• benscott123123

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:47 PM

in a word – no

• john_cena163

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Can any1 give me da latest squad pic..of newcastle..

• Moreno

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:49 PM

I personally would have him behind Simpson, R. Taylor and S. taylor at right back in the pecking order

• chuck

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Doubt if Perch will never be more than a journeyman, same goes for Simpson and R. Taylor.
    Perch has to bulk up if he wants to play in the EPL as he can be a liability physically.
    We could allways play S. Taylor in the role, that`s if he wants to stay, if not sell him for whatever he will bring and sign Bougherra from a cash strapped Rangers, make a profit and get a better player.
    Hey! why am I not running this club ?

• john_cena163

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:55 PM

• slazberger

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:59 PM

no carroll on the list john_cena163?

• Rotonda heights

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:06 PM

3-4-3 with wing backs and a sweeper (colo)

Colo Willo Kadar

Routledge/Raylor Tiote Barton Enrique

Vuksic / Ben A

Ranger /Lloven Carroll

• john_cena163

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Slaz yea.. . May b its the 25 men squad dat v submitd. Wich didnt include carrol.

• G

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:14 PM

RH, wing backs? Not so sure these days, as most teams seem to be prepared for that kind of play, but I am all for bringing back sweepers. Even though they are relatively innefective against a well organised team, when everybody played sweepers there seemed to be some very entertaining football around. Surely just what the game needs in the current financial climate?

• G

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Back on the Perch subject, I think the lad has age on his side, and he should develop, however, on the other end of the scale, lots of NF fans were glad to see the back of him on the f365 forum. They were amazed that anybody would give money for him? I personnaly feel that Simpson is our best current bespoke RB. His style seems to enfuriate some people, but again, he is young, and he hasn’t had a bad footballing education.

• Toontastico

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:55 PM

G -Have to agree with ye on Simpson He’s defo better then the liability who is Perch, he really lets the defence down and TBH i’d prefer RT in there on sat ahead of him.

• TT

Sep 15, 2010 at 2:19 PM

I don’t know what those responsible for signing Perch, Simpson and R Taylor saw in any of them – they are all very poor, nowhere near prem quality. 3 bad buys still leaves us with needing a quality right back.

• G

Sep 15, 2010 at 2:33 PM

RT is often found out of position and looks half a yard slower than whoever he is up against. I love his crossing ability, but that’s about it. I still go with Simmo, then RT, then Perch.

• balubas1

Sep 15, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Dear Ed.

I’m not sure it’s the right time to officially put down our players.

We are still in a developing stage when it comes to settling in the EPL again. We finally have some decent competition in some positions so the next 10-15 games will tell how well CH and the squad manages this.

What is discussed in the blogs do actually come out. (take the fat-sol incident)

So Perch.. a newcomer in NUFC, and a newcomer in the EPL gets “us” on his back after just a couple of games.. I don’t think its right.

I agree that Perch have not been as good as we would like YET, but save your bullets until he’s at least had a chance. He’s probably only backup because of injuries anyways, so get off his back and let him do the best he can for us when he starts.

• balubas1

Sep 15, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Add to my last:

It’s not like we could afford a 10million RB to cover for our injuries ! Let the backupman do his job !

• G

Sep 15, 2010 at 2:55 PM

balubas1, you have pretty much sumarised what everybody seems to be voicing on here with regard to Perch. I wouldn’t say people were gunning him down (although there is the odd 1 no doubt?), as much as defending his potential to develop. We all want Perch to succeed, appart from the odd ‘I told you so’ numpty that gets on here once in a while. Us toon fans are a passionate bunch, any pub on a matchday will demonstrate how passionate we are, but we all like to discuss, disect and then rebuild all aspects of our game, and I have been from one end of the country to the other, and I guaruntee that we are the biggest offenders on this front, I think it is because we all fancy ourselves as a closset manager?

• Obafan

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Think we were unlucky against Blackpool. Their goalie had e fantastic game; we should have had a draw at least.

For next Saturday it will be a tough test, but we could go and get a result; I would be happy with a draw. I hope Tiote and Ben Arfa will start cause they can raise our game.

I have to play myself on Saturday so I cannot watch the game live. But does anybody know if there is a site where you can watch complete games when they already have been played? Thanks.

• steve1980

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Absolute tosh. Perch getting the nod over Ryan Taylor is a travesty, pure and simple. Simpson is a decent right back, certainly the best at NUFC, so when he comes back there should be no question. Steven Taylor as well, who always impresses more in that position than in the centre, though he clearly prefers playing central defence. I think Perch is awful, and was thoroughly dissapointed when he was purchased. It’s just false economy, he’s not good enough, certainly no better than R Taylor, who admittadely isn’t a great defender, but can roam forward, put some crosses in (remember that ball to set up Ameobi against Reading last year – world class!) and can take free kicks as well as most in the PL. He’s massively under rated, because he ain’t a fashionable player. Hope to see some changes on Saturday against Everton. We’re expected to loose so fuck it, why not go for it:

Goal – Harper
    Right Back – Ryan Taylor
    Centre Half – Campbell, Coloccini
    Left Back – Enrique
    Right Wing – Routledge
    Centre Midfield – Barton, Tiote
    Left Wing – Ben Arfa
    Forward – Carroll, Lovenkrands

But why do i get the feeling we’re going to see the same starting 11 as last week from safety first Hughton? Playing Smith over Tiote, who is a bona fide defensive midfielder, just smacks of keeping the ‘influential’ players happy. Ditto Nolan, who i’ve got loads of time for but who can’t sustain 90 mins for love nor money. When we played Blackpool earlier this year we went 4 4 2 and toused them 4 1, this time we played it safe and got punished. Learn from it Chris, learn from it…

• Rotonda heights

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:34 PM

On the whole CH has done very well despite a perceived overly cautious nature at times, but

Perch and Simpson, – no better than for example Tavernier

Best – a very poor replacement because Moses didn’t arrive

Tiote I’m looking forward too, but as with Moses, for a few dollars more we could have had Leroy Fer.

G – re sweepers – everyone thinks they are a negative move but if you have a one that is good technically and can bring the ball out from the back, it can be very effective. a lot of continental teams play their most technically gifted players at the back.

• BouncedCheick

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:39 PM

20 steve1980 // Sep 15, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Hughton will probably play the same starting 11 from last week because it is the same starting 11 that thrashed Villa 6-0 and had Wolves pinned down at the Molineux.

There was just no justification for changing the team or the tactics.

To be honest, the only change I really want to see is Tiote for Smith. I like Smith but he has always been a massive liability. Apart from that, the current team is good enough to give Everton a real game away at Goodison Park.

• G

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:48 PM

RH, regarding the sweeper argument, I can see a lot of arguments both for and against the deployment of sweepers, but I just remember some of my fondest football moments being played with sweepers. Some great games, with lots of goals, and lots of happy fans. Bring em back.

• atom

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:52 PM

As to topic, the optimist in me wants to say yeah he can develop into a good rb and hold down the spot. However, the realist in me has seen him make 2-3 gaffes in each game he has played that have been costly. He has gotten better game to game, but in those tight games that one mistake can be the difference between winning and loosing. to be honest I don’t think Raylor offers anything more and is a worse defender so he sticks for now. Hopefully Simpson is the answer or Perch can cut out the gaffes.

• Geordiedoonsooth

Sep 15, 2010 at 4:17 PM

I really think RB is at the moment our weak link none of the current choices (including Simpson) are just not good enough. Hopefully when Steve Taylor is fit he’ll sign a new contract & solve the problem.

• balubas1

Sep 15, 2010 at 4:56 PM

I agree that R.Taylor might do just as good of a job instead of Perch… but I think it’s a close call, and if CH picks Perch over R.Taylor i trust him there..

But either could play for my sake.. Gain some offensively with Raylor… maybe Perch is better in def…

Would be easier to say Simps or S.Taylro instead.

• mark9403newcastle

Sep 15, 2010 at 5:22 PM

I got slated for saying this the other week after I even explained im not making a rash decision on this lad, im from nottingham and have seen him since his debut for Forest, the lad isnt good enough. Solid enough championship player but not good enough in the prem, money wasted in my opinion!

• G

Sep 15, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Fair comments mark, but I still reckon we should at least give the lad his chance to step up? After all, we, as well as most managers have overlooked the odd bloke at 20, only for them to come good later.

• balubas1

Sep 15, 2010 at 6:04 PM

We did not have 10mill to buy a 1st team prem quality RB. Perch is INJURY BACKUP.

So stop slating him. He is what is is.

You can discuss wether you like to play R.Taylor instead, but get behind your players.

• balubas1

Sep 15, 2010 at 6:08 PM

like I said in post nr:16.

Ed this article is foolish. Raising fans against their own players after just a couple of games.

i know i know.. yes its a blog, we discuss nufc matters,freedom of speech and blablabla.. But if your care about the club.. think it through will you.

• baro

Sep 15, 2010 at 9:53 PM

When Steven Taylor comes back fit than start him at right back, drop Perch. Taylor is strong, and can attack. Way better player and has more confidence, and EPL experience.

• Brutooon

Sep 16, 2010 at 1:07 AM

Perch and Simpson are Championship quality who possible(maybe) are premierleague quality.

Ryan Taylor is a premierleague quality