Jonas Starting Place Under Threat From Ben Arfa?

Probably the player under the most threat from new boy Hatem Ben Arfa, is Argentine left-winger come right back Jonas Gutierrez.

Jonas fights it out with the very impressive Charlie Adam Saturday

You cannot fault the work-rate or commitment of the Argentine International, and indeed he is a popular player on Tyneside, but having watched Ben Arfa on Saturday, the Frenchman could easily be deployed on either wing, and it will be interesting to see if Chris starts him on Saturday.

But Jonas probably knows his place in currently under threat, although of course he will still get loss of playing time this season for the Magpies.

Gutierrez told the Evening Chronicle today:

“Always you have competition in all the positions. It’s going to be a good competition.”“I want to do my best and Ben Arfa, if he plays, will want to do his best for the team.”  “It’s not a problem. The most important thing is the team.”

“I think he can play on the left side, or like a second striker.” “He’s got very good quality, and can play in different places.”“We want to have the ball, and play good football.” “We have a lot of players, and Chris has to decide.”

We think Bobby Moncur identified one big reason Newcastle didn’t do better last Saturday, and that’s the fact we didn’t keep the game wide enough, with both Jonas and Wayne Routledge staying out wide and taking on the Blackpool defense. Both wingers had indifferent games last Saturday.

They wandered inside too much and of course in that second half Jonas was all over the place.  It was only after Ben Arfa was introduced, that the Frenchman made runs to the byline, and of course this lad has skills galore with which to beat defenders.

But he’s also no slouch in front of goal and could also take Kevin Nolan’s position as second striker, or even as an out-and-out striker alongside big Andy.

But it’s very positive news for Newcastle fans, that after the disappointment of  the Blackpool game, Chris has players of the caliber of  Ben Arfa, Tiote and Sol Campbell to call on.

We hope Chris starts the first two at Goodison Park on Saturday.

• Toon XI

Sep 16, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I would like to see HBA in place of Jonas. I love the effort of Gut, but his results have been lacking in the first four games. CH needs to change things up to keep players motivated.

• smiley_nufc

Sep 16, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Afternoon Lads/Lasses

I’m off to Egypt tomorrow morning for a week. Anyone know the names of the channels for which games are broadcasted overseas?

I’m going to have to do a lot of pointing and loud talking for them to get a rough idea of putting the game on, but a channel name would win half the battle for me.

Also, anyone know of any websites I can watch the games through my iphone?

Hotel’s got WiFi, so that’s my last resort!

Any comments/help would be greatly appreciated!

• ToonAndy

Sep 16, 2010 at 1:44 PM

I can’t understand why we should put Jonas’s position in jeprady for Ben Arfa… Its changing one of our best players for another great player… If Ben Arfa can play anywhere I would stick him just behind big Andy to “feed him amunition” or have a go whenever he wants… because we all know he knows how to score goals… I really hope to see Hughton starting this team…

………………………..HARPER…………………………..

PERCH……….WILL……….COLO………ENRIQUE

ROUT………TIOTE………BARTON……….JONAS

………………………………BEN ARFA………………….

………………..BIG ANDY………………………………..

That team to me… looks dangerous… come on CH! Read this line up!!

Howay the TOON!!!!

• Toon XI

Sep 16, 2010 at 1:56 PM

TA,

That’s an attractive lime up, but I don’t see CH dropping Nolan – not yet anyway.

• estechco

Sep 16, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Woke up early this morning with the following (slightly controversial) line up on my mind.

………………………..HARPER…………………………..

……….WILL……CAMPBELL….COLO…………

RAYLOR/JONAS.………………….………ENRIQUE

……..BARTON………TIOTE………NOLAN……..

………………………………BEN ARFA………………….

………………..BIG ANDY………………………………..

After initially thinking it was bonkers, I can see how it might work away from home. What to people think?

• Sav

Sep 16, 2010 at 2:26 PM

What goals? I didn’t think either Ben Arfa or Gutierrez had much of a record as goalscorers
    – in the latter case, we’ve only glimpsed the famous mask once. But much as I like Guti’s effort, too often it is pointless and he runs into a cul de sac or gives away possession. He needs competition and he and Enrique need to get that partnership going again.

• Davies

Sep 16, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Ha! Estecho – I posted a very similar line up earlier –

“Does anybody else think it would be a bad idea to get Perch off and push Willo out further to the right?

Tiote could offer cover from midfield for the missing CB and would could have a midfield of Jonas Nolan and Routelidge with Ben Arfa playing in behind Carroll and Lovenkrands (or even Smudge?). Sort of a 3-1-3-1-2 formation.

We’ve still got plenty of quality to put on the bench and Tiote could always drop back into a CB position in a switch toi 4-4-2 (or whatever you fancy), should the need arise”

Re Jonas, a lot is made of his relationship with Enrique, but isn’t he naturally a right winger?

Might be the man to get something out of Perch if he went back to the right?

• balubas1

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:10 PM

hehe:) looks like us toons are almost crapping our pants of excitement to how the lineup on saturday will be:)

• Brutooon

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:22 PM

some might not agreed with me but for me HBA to come in replace Routledge

Yes Routledge got pace but if jonas dont perform at the first 60 mins then routledge can easily run over tired defenders

• Thump

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Drop Jonas for HBA. His performances have been fairly mediocre, he’s bullied off the ball and all that running doesn’t count for much when you’re struggling to get the ball onto the head of Big Andy.

• Thump

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:32 PM

@estechco: I actually like that line up. 5-3-1-1 (or 3-2-3-1-1 depending on where you want your wing backs). Good defence and enough to go both wide and narrow at the drop of a hat (especially with Tioté and Arthur playing in line with each other).

…somebody get Chris on the phone.

• Pradajames

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:34 PM

I dont think its a case of either/or…Ben Arfa can play centrally, behind Carroll. If anyone is likely to lose a spot to Ben Arfa, its Routledge.

Now come January, with a healthy (praying) Gosling and Guthrie, Jonas could be up for sale…Nolan as well.

• toonroyal

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:38 PM

first post on this website, bit worrying the blackpool game, we lost 2-0 even though we created most of the chances? are we relying on carroll too much? or should we play loven beside him. ok this is somethin i just put together in my head.. here my line up
    ………………………..HARPER…………………………..

——-Barton——Tiote——–
    Jonas——Nolan——Ben Arfa
    —————-Carroll————

• Ollieh51

Sep 16, 2010 at 6:39 PM

PradaJames…

Firstly, the whole Routledge change I would support if it weren’t for the simple fact that he crosses the ball and Jonas doesn’t as well as having some serious pace which we as a squad lack in key areas.

Secondly, if you think we’re going to sell Jonas and or Nolan in January then you my boy, need to seriously consider laying off the crackpipe!

Are you aware of how thin Our squad is given the stresses and strains of a whole PL season?!

Did you see Routledge’s performance vs Villa and in patches vs Blackpool?!

• baro

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:28 PM

————————–Harper————————
    R.Taylor—-Willo—————–Colo—-Enrique

—————–Barton———–Tiote—————-

Ben Arfa—————–Nolan—————–Jonas

—————————Carroll———————–

• Pradajames

Sep 16, 2010 at 11:23 PM

@Ollieh51

Routledge is a fine player and his pace could be a better asset coming on as a sub, but his overall game pales in comparison to both HBA and Jonas. I’ll use the Villa game as an example…Jonas played 27 passes with only 5 unsuccessful and had an assist. Routledge played 29 passes with 10 unsuccessful. Routledge also lost 9 tackles that game…to only 5 for Jonas.

I also am aware of our depth issues, which is why I mentioned getting Guthrie and Gosling back. If they aren’t able to get healthy and contribute, then no…selling players won’t be an option. But if they are healthy, it opens up the idea of moving pieces around to address problem areas.