Ryan Donaldson And Nile Ranger Loan Moves?

Chris has talked today about the possibility of his two England U19 Internationals, Ryan Donaldson and Nile Ranger making loan moves shortly.

Ryan Donaldson – a loan move?

Both lads will probably play tonight in the Reserves game against Chelsea, and there are probably going to be quite a few scouts from other clubs at that game at St. James’ Park this evening.

Ryan started his career as a striker and played for the England U17 in that position, when in 15 games he scored a healthy 10 goals.

But he’s now been switched to play in central midfield, and for the England U19 side he’s played 10 times with just a single goal.

And it seems that Chris thinks the lad’s best position is now in central midfield, rather than up front, and Chris  talked today  to the Evening Chronicle about a possible loan spell for the Newcastle-born youngster:

“Probably, at this moment, if we had an opportunity to get Ryan out on loan, we would very much think about it.” “Most clubs have been waiting for the window to close.”

“He’s at a standard of football at the moment where last season he had a fair involvement with the first-team group.”  “It’s certainly more difficult at the moment because of what we have in that first-team squad.”

“If there was a good enough opportunity for him to play regular first-team games for a short period of time, it would be something we would listen to.”

“And if I look where he’s plied his trade over the last year, his best position is central midfield.” “I would still probably have to say that.”

“He is a player who did play up front for England some years ago, and that’s something I wouldn’t say no to, and might be resurrected at some stage, but at this moment I would say central midfield.”

It would be good if Ryan does get a loan move through January, because it’s unlikely he will get many appearances for the Newcastle first team anytime soon.

And it appears that Chris doesn’t want to  send our 19 year-old England U19 International striker Nile Ranger, out on loan, even though there are quite a few clubs lining up for him, and they would be only too willing to take Nile this season.

Apparently the number of clubs willing to take Nile on loan, or who have enquired about his availability, is now into double figures  – well we already knew the lad is a very good striker in the making.

• G

Sep 16, 2010 at 2:16 PM

A mate of mine told me that NR was going to be a Leeds player last week. This is the same guy who told me that our next manager was going to be Zico though!

• Davies

Sep 16, 2010 at 2:36 PM

I’d like to see Ranger get more opportunities in the first team, even if only as a sub to begin with.

For all his failings, Shola does know where the back of the net is (he just takes too many attempts to find it), however, if Ranger’s ever going to realise his potential (which is something that Shola never quite managed) he should definitely be higher in the pecking order. I’d have Lovenkrands and Ranger on the bench ahead of any of the other attacking options we have at the moment.

I don’t know how Shola and Xisco would take to having to wait for injuries/suspensions before even getting to the bench and maybe they’d want to go elsewhere if that were the case. You have to wonder if that’s why Hoots keeps bringing Shola on when the first choice strikers start flagging…

• Tom

Sep 16, 2010 at 2:58 PM

As much as I would love Ranger to be sent out on loan to get the experience he needs in order to develop, Hughton clearly said in an article today that no-one from the senior squad woudl be leaving on loan, which includes Ranger.

It is foolish quite frankly. He is a good player and a very promising talent, but he isn’t going to get games with us because the useless lumps like Best, Xisco and Ameobi are ahead of him on the bench. He needs game time, so farm him out on loan!

• shearermania

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Edd can you please remove the alan smith picture next to our all greats on the top bannner….it reallynmakes me sich as he is the worst evr to have played for nufc….
    please its just not right..

and please find a picture of the great man (shearer) pointing towards the sky after a goal instead of in a suit where he dosnt belong – at least not in geordie hearts (its in black and white)

• shearermania

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:22 PM

G

would have loved ZICO…..he is my all time football hero…..he is old now but boy what a player he was

• Ericles

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Can we send Smith out on loan?

• Selbymag

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Smith the worst player ever to play for Newcastle ha ha. How old are you exactly I assume too young to have endured, Darren McDonut, Billy Askew, Wayne Fereday etc. Smudger looks like Maradona,Puskas,Messi combined compared to those muppets and thats just 3 of my particular favourite all time sh*te players. I can probably list 100 players worse than smith if you give me 20 minutes. For the record I dont think he is a bad player just had a mare against Backpool at the weekend. But was he any worse than Nolan or my current nemesis Jonas? Discuss

• G

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Shearmania, yeah, Zico was a great player, but his managerial record isn’t too hot. I agree with Selbymag, although he has made the obvious ommission of Guivarch and Andreas Anderson on his list of ‘quality?’ signings!

• Penguin PJ

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Is it just me or the way Smith gave away the penalty reminds me of a certain ex-Mancunian?

Alan Smith is the new Nicky Butt.

• G

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Just to clarrify, I am in the minority here, by thinking Smith is a good player. He has lost a yard of pace or two, but he still does a decent job, and rarely lets us down. He just gets crucified when he does.

• Selbymag

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:07 PM

G I agree with you. is in there to do a dirty job and gets on with it.

Not every player can be Ben Arfa, there is more to the game than that. His biggest problem has been where he should actually play.

The injury pretty much finished him as a striker / attacking midfielder. Good solid pro teetotal etc etc.

• moonraker

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Ed,you had me worried with your headline! Nile Ranger should stay and push for a 1st team place this season! I think he has got what it takes and as the saying goes “if you’re good enough, you’re old enough”.

Once he finds the net that should do wonders for his confidence and he could go from strength to strength. Also having someone with the quality of ben Arfa in the team should help him.

Of all the youngsters I can see him being the one to come through. At least I hope so!! 🙂

• Brutooon

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:20 PM

i would love for vuckic to go for a loan move.

too many rumours of him, its better for him to get some games first

• benscott123123

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Allan Smith is the new Geremi one of the worst players in the squad but still possible captain :-s

• Monument Mal

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Penguin PJ: If Perch hadn’t so easily been muscled off the ball, Smudger wouldn’t have been put in a position where a rash challenge was necessary. I think Perch is way out of his depth and most goals conceded this season have been created down our right flank. We need Simpson or S Taylor back sharpish to plug this gap

• Howay The Lads

Sep 16, 2010 at 6:10 PM

I don’t get why people slag Smith off. As if he is the ‘worst player ever in a Newcastle shirt’.

He is an average player that is alright as a squad player to plug the gap in CM sometimes, but as Selbymag said there have been far worse and given 5 minutes I could probably give you at least 15 worse players in the last 10 years!

He can be anonymous, but when he plays well, he can control games.

• BeeGuy

Sep 16, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Me thinks Carroll will be kept around until the Avatar gets his day in court and its resolution. If not for that, Ranger would be doing first team duty in the Championship right now.

As far as Smith’s penalty is concerned, Perch got bumped hard enough to earn a foul, but be that as it may, Willo was right there to cover the situation. Smith was late to get back to help Perch (which is one of his roles IMHO) and jumped in in a panic. After all these years Smith should know where he is on the pitch and when to be there. What is a bother to me, is that there have been no questions from reporters to him about the why and wherefore of his actions.

• BeeGuy

Sep 16, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Oops, meant Ranger will be kept around-Carroll’s going nowhere (I hope).

• baro

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Good moves, send Donaldson on loan to improve and get some experience but keep Nile Ranger no matter what. He is a brilliant youngster. I have him behind Carroll in strikers order. He is improving day by day, game by game.

• sir_norman

Sep 17, 2010 at 6:02 AM

smith is stil a decent player,but i think CH shud start wit tiote for everton match..and hearing arsene wenger praising carroll makes me worry though,juz hope that carroll wil stay wit us many seasons ahead..

• marshy

Sep 17, 2010 at 3:26 PM

I don’t know about donaldson but I think we should definately keep ranger,for the reserves the other night his hold up play was awesome. also I don’t think smith is good enough for the EPM.