The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Ole Soderberg Could Make Newcastle Debut At Chelsea

1:30 pm, Tuesday, September 21st, 2010 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 26 Comments

Ole Soderburg has been thrust into the limelight after Steve Harper was unfortunately injured over the weekend.

Ole Soderberg – number two goalkeeper at Newcastle right now

That’s because with 22 year-old Fraser Forster out on loan at Glasgow Celtic for the full season, Ole now becomes the number two goalkeeper at Newcastle.

The 20-year-old Swede’s call-up to the first team is a lot different from last season, when he missed lots of playing time because of a knee injury that required surgery. So this is a great chance for the youngster to show what he can do at Newcastle.

Soderberg told the Evening Chronicle today:

“It’s something I’m looking forward to, it will be great for me and, if anything, it’s an honor even to be on the bench for Newcastle United.” “To get to be a substitute in the Carling Cup or the Premier League is a great achievement for a young keeper.”

“I’m not too daunted because I’ve been on the bench before in Carling Cup ties,  so it’s not a big problem for me. I’m hoping for the best in the next few weeks.”

“Paul Barron is great to us and he always makes sure we’re ready for the big occasion. He works us really hard in training, but we all enjoy the sessions. I like to work hard in training and try to improve each day. Paul has helped me out a lot since I have been at the club.”

And a little surprisingly Hughton was still undecided on his goalkeeper selection today, although this will be Tim Krul’s 3rd start in 6 days if he starts, after playing the full game for the Reserves against Chelsea last Thursday night.

Chris continued:

“It’s not too much of a risk to put Tim in – injuries are part of the game. If you were worried about injuries nobody would play.” “Tim will be a consideration for the game, but Ole also has a chance of playing.”

But we really cannot believe that Chris would put the 20 year-old  in at Stamford Bridge , which is a challenge even for the best and most mature players.

But if he does it has to be because the Swedish youngster has been impressive in training.

Tags: Newcastle News · Ole Soderberg · Tim Krul

26 responses so far ↓

• 1 Preston_toon // Sep 21, 2010 at 1:41 PM

I have ever confidence in all our keepers that are at Newcastle we have been blessed with very good keepers in the past with the likes of Hislop, Harper, Given, Krul and Forster. My personal opinion is that we have never been worried about keepers and if anything did happen (GOD FORBID) to Krul on Wednesday night I don’t think Soderberg will have any worries about stepping up if need be

• 2 Preston_toon // Sep 21, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Every* not ever haha

• 3 WesJameson // Sep 21, 2010 at 1:58 PM

@ Preston_toon // Sep 21, 2010 at 1:41 PM

agreed mate

• 4 repo // Sep 21, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Soberberg is a good keeper as well and he be on the bench on wed evening

i think Krul will start tbh,,

• 5 WesJameson // Sep 21, 2010 at 2:06 PM

made me laugh anyway, funny read

• 6 Preston_toon // Sep 21, 2010 at 2:15 PM

WesJameson – That’s brilliant did you read that comment that idiot JohnDevil posted
    (johndevil
    “patronising, pretentious borderline racist rubbish. Think the daily mail are looking for toilet cleaners though cause journalist thing obviously isnt for you.”)

Obviously does not know a thing about football haha

• 7 WesJameson // Sep 21, 2010 at 2:25 PM

@ Preston_toon // Sep 21, 2010 at 2:15 PM

i did read that comment mate, what a dumb pig

• 8 WesJameson // Sep 21, 2010 at 2:55 PM

wow, blog is a bit slow today

• 9 MonsterMagnet // Sep 21, 2010 at 3:07 PM

A thought on Toon ‘keepers – when was the last time we had a duff one? I’ve been a fan for fifteen odd years (since I could say ‘Les Ferdinand’) and can’t remember a bad keeper in that time. We also seem to have always had good strength in depth in goal. Hislop and Srniceck were like Given and Harper, jostling for position, both perfectly capable of being number one. Our third keepers have tended to be a bit ropey in the past (John Karelse, Tony Caig etc) but they are so rarely needed. Now we seem to even have a top 3rd choice in Fraser Forster. It amazes me that Hughton can talk about starting the 4th choice at Chelsea with confidence – just shows what quality we have back there.

Why have we had such luck with keepers? The coaching maybe? Who knows, I only wish we could have had such luck with center halves…

• 10 Ericles // Sep 21, 2010 at 3:07 PM

CH has to put out our strongest team against Chelsea. I hope he is not joining the disrespectful bunch of managers who put out weaker teams in cup matches. I believe our strongest side includes Lovenkrands, Tiotti, Ben Arfa and Sol Campbell. All this crap about resting players is tosh! Are we a proper professional side or not or is CH trying to emulate those managers with squads so strong it does not matter who they put in the team? We need to go to Chelsea and get a result even if we have to get the west London nobs back on Tyneside to knock them out of the compo. Do not pussy foot around CH – this is a big game requiring a big team from NUFC!

• 11 MonsterMagnet // Sep 21, 2010 at 3:11 PM

@Ericles – we have a very winnable home game against Stoke on Sunday. I don’t think we can risk getting players like HBA injured against what will be Chelsea Youth and Reserves. A cup run would be nice, but I would take a defeat to nothing in London tomorrow for 3 points vs Stoke Sunday.

• 12 Geordiedoonsooth // Sep 21, 2010 at 3:12 PM

MonsterMagnet when you’ve supported the toon as long as me (57 years) you will have seen some sh*te keepers after Ronnie Simpson we had some real duffers until Joe Harvey bought Hollins after that we had Willie McFaul who was decent but until we got Given the only decent one we had was Hislop.

• 13 slazberger // Sep 21, 2010 at 3:16 PM

it will go to penalties if the game is tied Ericles not to sjp. i have to ask myself what if ben-arfa and carroll or collo and enrique picked up injuries in a cup game, would it of been worth giving chelsea a game for? not for me.

i have also become a fan of this competition because the favourite clubs have played fringe and young players and enjoy it better than the fa cup because it is less obvious who will win it.

i doubt the legue cup organisers thought wenger was being disrespectful when he took a team of kids to anfield and won 6 -1 or what ever it was

• 14 MonsterMagnet // Sep 21, 2010 at 3:17 PM

@Geordiedoonsooth – Haha can’t say I’ve heard of any of them – probably because they were as bad as you say they were. I just find it amazing how we’ve had good keepers for a decade and a half, whilst a team like Arsenal has had a series of nutters and clowns over the same period.

• 15 altern8tif // Sep 21, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I suppose our goalkeeping situation will make a certain Arsene Wenger green with envy =P

• 16 dave 1961 // Sep 21, 2010 at 3:31 PM

some stills from the game on Saturday pity I could not get the game in hd, but still you can see what the pictures are about.

• 17 Rotonda heights // Sep 21, 2010 at 4:21 PM

I’m worried Stoke may try and kick Ben Arfa out of the game this weekend, a la Ramsey. It’s a tricky one. Stoke will play hoof ball and we need some height. Not sure who to pick for a real horses for courses type of match.

• 18 john_cena163 // Sep 21, 2010 at 4:25 PM

I say give him a chance. 1 for the future.

• 19 Davies // Sep 21, 2010 at 4:39 PM

I’d like to stay in the cup, but for this season, we have to concentrate on the league. Ordinarily I’d agree with you ericles; treat the cup with some respect, however, since nobody else is doing that and our priorities are not in any of the cups this season, I’m inclined to think that we should be giving some of the younger players, or the fringe players, their chance to have a game at Stamford Bridge.

To be completely honest, we now have a hell of a lot of quality in our squad and I think Hoots could pick a decent starting XI without too much risk for the starters he has in mind for St(r)oke’s visit.

Regarding Soderberg, he’s looked good when I’ve seen him between the sticks. Very good. I don’t think anyone should be insulted if we don’t field many of the players who’ll start on Saturday.

• 20 arcarius // Sep 21, 2010 at 4:48 PM

I dont think age is an issue when its comes to goalkeepers. If one is good enough then he’ll be up for it no matter what.
    Havent seen much of this Soderberg lad, so I hope he’ll impressed us.

Just look at De Gea of atletico.

And yeah, no doubt the league is our main priority, but having a good cup run at the same time would be nice.
    As long as we don’t risk our key players such as Carroll, Nolan, Arfa, Tiote and our CBs etc.

• 21 roy cropper // Sep 21, 2010 at 4:57 PM

@ 11 stop wrapping the players in cotton wool will you !!!! – the prima donnas are paid good money to play for the club not for sitting around shining the arse of their trousers.

what next a lollypop man to get them across the road safely … ffs.

i want a strong team playing tomorrow with a win & a win on sunday…

• 22 StuW // Sep 21, 2010 at 5:48 PM

GK is one of the positions that we have never really had to worry about at the Toon, a long, long list of GKs have been at the club and have all done well. Apparently Soderberg is a very highly rated keeper, so I hope he gets his chance, and I hope he shines.

• 23 howay man // Sep 21, 2010 at 7:20 PM

id go
    —————-Soderberg
    rTaylor Campbell Kadar Ferguson
    Ranger Donaldson smith Gutierez
    ————Ameobi Lovenkrands

Bench: Vuckic, Best, Krul, Nolan, Tavernier, Edmundsson, Airey

pray that chelsea play their young guns, and we might sneak though.

• 24 Robby Bobson // Sep 21, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Feel sorry for the lad….ended up at a club with two of the best young keepers around.

• 25 baro // Sep 21, 2010 at 10:42 PM

I love the amount of excellent young goalkeepers in our team, if one gone 3 more are there! Its brilliant and definitely a strength to our team. Lots of talent.

• 26 batty // Sep 22, 2010 at 10:43 AM