Newcastle Have Lots To Choose From For Tonight’s Game

Newcastle manager Chris Hughton has given more hints as to what his Tyneside team will be for tonight’s game at Stamford Bridge.

Chris Hughton – will play fringe players tonight

Alan Smith and Jonas Gutierrez will both get starts tonight, and Chris has almost a full squad to choose from for tonight’s game.

With the terrific form shown by both Cheick Tiote and Ben Arfa on Saturday, the Newcastle squad now looks a lot stronger then when the lads won the Championship last season.

Chris talked about his possible team to Sky Sports:

“Alan Smith and Jonas Gutierrez will both be involved and, if I look at what I have among the seniors who did not start at Everton, we are certainly in a much better position now than in the past,”

“I have the likes of Ryan Taylor and Sol Campbell also available.” “The side I put out at Accrington was a very young team and it certainly won’t be as young as that, but there will be changes from the Everton game.”

“You are always concerned up against a top-quality Chelsea side who are scoring goals for fun, certainly with the home record they have got. I don’t think people expect us to win.” “But you have got to have faith in the squad you have and the abilities we have.”

It will be a terrific test for the Newcastle side tonight, even though it looks like Carlo Ancelotti will play quite a few youngsters tonight, although that will hardly make it much easier for the Magpies.

Anything but a loss tonight will be nice nice surprise for Newcastle fans, and of course there must be a result, so that extra time and penalties will be used – if necessary.

• jimmymac

Sep 22, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Perhaps the team:

R Taylor Campbell Kadar Ferguson

Smith Inman
    Lovenkrands Gutierrez

• Preston_toon

Sep 22, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Anything but a loss tonight will be nice surprise for Newcastle fans
    It can’t be a draw. It’s either a win or loss

Would be nice to go to pens thou

• toonie

Sep 22, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Hope thats not the team…The words lambs and slaughterhouse come to mind…

• loothas

Sep 22, 2010 at 12:01 PM

I reckon it wont be too different to the team at everton

jonas, smith, barton, ben arfa
    ameobi and mcloven.

Although I’d prefer ranger to ameobi.
    I think toonie’s right and tbh i think hughton wants a win so hes gonna put the best players out that he can, Ben arfa has already said hes working towards this match so……

• toonboyjake

Sep 22, 2010 at 12:10 PM

are any of you lads going tonight? if any of you are can you tell me what sort of numbers the seats are in the shed end because im going with a mate whos a chelsea fan and ive gotta sit in with the home fans, managed to get in the shed end and im hoping my ticket is nearish the newcastle fans

• ToonAndy

Sep 22, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Does anyone know a website where I could watch tonights match?

• jimmymac

Sep 22, 2010 at 12:31 PM

@ Toonandy – try

I agree we will probably get beat with that team, but cant see Ben Arfa playing. He looked tired after 75 mins against Everton and i think this game has come too soon, rest him for Stoke.

Also, i think Kadar is certain to start, whether it be enrique or colo tht drops out.

Personally, i would prfer to see vuckic get a game and rest Barton for the weekend. I would also prefer to see Ranger get a game than ameobi. If he isnt getting a game in this cup he should be going out on loan, same goes for donaldson.

• stk85

Sep 22, 2010 at 1:14 PM

jonas–smith—–barton–ben arfa

subs: soderberg, kadar, vuckic, ranger, williamson, routledge, nolan

kadar for colo/enrique
    vuckic for barton/smith

who knows? we may get something

i think the game is too much for the likes of ferguson, airey,

• mrmcgee

Sep 22, 2010 at 1:49 PM

jimmymac – Inman is out injured!!! He’s just got off his crutches!!

I dont think Hughton will risk Krul incase of injury… it’ll be as follows;

• Ericles

Sep 22, 2010 at 2:13 PM

If CH treats this game as an experiment he will be very wrong. We have to go with the strongest team and try and get a win (on penalties if necessary). CH’s hint that Smith will play means he cannot be taking the game seriously. Can we try Krul; Taylor; Campbell; Coloccini; Enrique; Lovenkrands; Barton; Nolan; Tiotte; Jonas; Arfa; Carroll. If necessary leave Nolan on the bench and start with Routledge. Must have Ranger and Williamson on the bench too.
    This game is notthe right one to start with Vukic, Kadar, or Donaldson. Ameobi will feature as well at some point. All the best lads and CH – at least try your best. We will be proud of you whatever the result!

• Doha Mag

Sep 22, 2010 at 4:44 PM

I really can’t see CH risking Krul tonght as he’s needed for the Stoke game.

So with the expectation of Chelsea playing a young side, I’m going for the following team for tonights game:

subs: Krul, Taverner, Tiote, Barton, Ferguson, Routledge, Nolan

I’m assuming Guthrie is still injured as this would be an ideal game to get him blooded for the new season….

• loothas