Newcastle Get Arsenal At Home In Carling Cup

In the draw early this afternoon, Newcastle amazingly were drawn at home to Arsenal in the 4th round of the Carling Cup – well would you believe it.

After getting perhaps the hardest draw imaginable in round 3 – Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, Newcastle have again been paired with one of  England’s top four teams, and it’s likely to be a sell-out at St. James’ Park against the good looking Arsenal side.

Number 9, Newcastle’s number in the draw was the first ball out of the hat, and they got the London giants, but on the bright side, it is the first time Newcastle have been drawn at home – although we would have preferred to have been drawn against Northampton Town  or any of the other 5 non-PL league teams still left in the competition.

It will be the first return to Newcastle for manager Arsene Wenger after he had waxed lyrical about both the Newcastle United club and the City of Newcastle, just before the Wold Cup committee arrived at St. James’ Park a few weeks ago to review the facilities.

Holders Manchester United were drawn at home to Wolves in another all Premier League tie, and Brentford’s win over Everton was rewarded with a visit to Birmingham, while Northampton Town, victors over Liverpool are at Ipswich Town.

And Wigan’s Spanish manager Roberto Martinez, will host former club Swansea to the DW Stadium, and in another all PL tie West Ham host Stoke City.

The games are to be played during the week beginning October 25th and in truth it promises to be another treat for the Newcastle fans,  as Chris Hughton matches himself up against the great Arsene Wenger and Newcastle are in the last eight if they can win the game.

Carling Cup fourth-round draw is as follows:

Newcastle v Arsenal
Birmingham City v
Brentford
Wigan Athletic v Swansea City
Aston Villa v
Burnley
Leicester City v West
Brom
Manchester United v Wolves
West Ham v Stoke City
Ipswich Town v Northampton Town

• Hugh Jorgan

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:53 PM

If we can beat Chelsea away, surely we can beat Arsenal at home !!!

• bigthao

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Well, less than ideal I must admit.

To be honest, i’d much have preferred an away draw to Manure or Arsenal. – So we don’t lose at home!

I for one am hoping that the standard 3-0 Arsenal result doesn’t materialise this time around.

Who knows but at least the pressure is still off.

Thao.

• ginkoh

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Good Draw !! This year it’s the most exciting cup challenge ever for us !!!

• Robstar NUFC

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Good draw, we could win it, if we do there’s a good chance of getting to the final and only manure as major contenders

Howay the Lads!!

• Doha Mag

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:06 PM

A tough draw but at least we are playing at home and should be a 52k sell out….

• jimiley

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Its a great draw for us. Full house and full strength team ans we will go through. Lets focus on winning something CH, not coming mid table in the league. Its better to play them now than the semis when they will play a stronger eleven. The only bad news is Manure got an easy home draw. We don’t want to play them in the semis or finals do we? Too many broken dreams and we have seen what their reserves can do to us this season.

• jesus was a geordie

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Yeah, I’ll be honest, at first I was a bit gutted…after doing what we did at Stamford Bridge we deserved an easier game BUT in all honesty I think this works out better for us…No pressure, no expectations, just a bit of hope and 52 thosand geordies.

HTL!

• slazberger

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:20 PM

jimiley – i think the players that beat chelsea have earned the right to play against arsenal. i would love us to win something but i don’t this should be our priority this year

• Turkish Magpie

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Arsenal play a full strength team in the cup though, so what will we do?

• dawid182

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:26 PM

knew it! There are 2 strong teams, but i knew it, that we get one! ridiculous

• slazberger

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Turkish Magpie – arsenal have never played a full stregnth team in the league cup under Wenger, not even when they have gotten to the final

• slazberger

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:39 PM

i see Josh McEachran has got himself a place on the chelsea bench after wednesdays performance, looks like he will have a big future if he keeps it up.

• xfer

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:42 PM

On a bright side, we are at home. Also, we seem to be playing better against bigger teams, minus Manure.

• Solaidback

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:56 PM

I’m not sure about this draw, I think we’re getting a rather hard time of it, I mean look at Manc Usa, Scunny last round, Wolves this round, someone somewhere is setting this up so that Manc Usa win something this season because they won’t win the CL, they won’t win the PL, so it either this or the FA cup, I bet you it’s because SAF will walk on them if they don’t win anything against this season… lol 😉

Anyhows, by the time the game is due, Arsenil will have major injuroes to Fabs, Walcott, RVP etc etc & will have a really weak team for us, either that or they’ll save their big guns for the CL game a week later & we’ll walk all over them like we did with Chelski.. lol 😉

Gonna be a good game as always, 2-1 to us I think 🙂

• dave 1961

Sep 25, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Newcastle v Leicester City final

• GeordieToon89

Sep 25, 2010 at 4:16 PM

arsenal are playin a very very strong team this year in carling cup as wenger has said he wants to win it and he wants to take it seriously, cos they havnt won anything in years.. ad be happy with newcastle leicester final as me best mates leicesters striker haha =]

• Toonboy_84

Sep 25, 2010 at 4:19 PM

@12

I know Josh McEachran’s Dad. He lives just up the road from me. The kid is definately heading in the right direction. Cracking little player.

• callie9

Sep 25, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Somebody tell me ma that I won’t be home for tea…We’re going to Wembley.

I have a good feeling. I’d rather play Arsenal now than at Wembley. Bring on their youngsters then we’ll have Northampton in the final.

Carlsberg don’t do cup runs…

• Jose_Horny_Enrique

Sep 25, 2010 at 5:54 PM

@callie9 “carslberg don’t do cup runs…”

neither have we for about 14 years 🙁

• munch27

Sep 25, 2010 at 6:01 PM

i have my fingers crossed we play it on the 27th as that’s me birthday and could be the best in a long time the last time a cup game fell on my actuall birhday we beat norwich and i ended up in the general with a broken bone in me kneck ****in bouncers.

• cupiddstunt

Sep 25, 2010 at 7:43 PM

If we take a leaf out of the scumderlands game play book and keep right on top of them do not let them get into any kind of rhythm we have a great chance of being in the next round.

I know it sounds too simple but the best way to tackle the likes of arsenhole is to stop them getting their passing game working. It means keeping an up tempo game going for the 90 mins, do not stand off them don’t let them settle, scumderland did it and I like to think we have a better squad then them.

I think the likes of Tioté will be the man to make this game tick and break up their midfield.

• umermaliknz

Sep 25, 2010 at 11:15 PM

not to worry. we wil have simpson, guthriei and best back to full fitness. and with ameobi leading the link against djouru and koscielny, the latter being very weak in the air as well as physically. I think we’ll do ok.